There are 10 races at Busan on Friday from 11:30 to 18:00. English race cards can be found here. Notes on all overseas simulcast races are below:
Race 4: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. NEPTUNE – Offered little in two prior starts.
2. GAO – Ran twice last autumn without distinction and returned in similar fashion a month ago.
3. ONNURI GANGJA – Much improved 2nd place last start. Not sure where that came from but it stands him in good stead here and he’ll be one of the favourites.
4. RICH BOLT – 6th of 11 last time was above expectations. First try at the distance today.
5. MACH IMPACT – Best finish a 3rd place at 1300M last November. 6th of 12 on first try at this distance last start and can build on that.
6. K O BARAM – First try at this distance last month yielded his best result to date and he’s in the hunt here.
7. JUMARUI MYEONGHWA – Few signs of talent in 16 prior outings. Up in distance for the first time is the only angle.
8. SEONGSIL SEUNGNI – A little one-paced in six tries so far – he’s been 6th on five occasions. Step up in trip may help.
9. GOLDEN BULLET – Two 4th places and a 3rd in three tries at this distance. He beat K O Baram last start and he’s firmly in the frame here.
10. HAESEONG SPEED – Beat Seongsil Seungni when running 5th last time at 1300M. Top trainer/jockey combination.
11. QUEEN’S BULLET – A little inconsistent but she tries this distance for the first time and makes for an interesting outsider. Likely to be on speed early.
Verdict: (3) ONNURI GANGJA was a hugely improved 2nd at this distance two weeks ago in what was a better performance than any others in this race have achieved and has to be taken seriously here. The only question is whether it was a one-off whereas (9) GOLDEN BULLET has already proven himself to be consistent at this distance and looks to eventually have a win in him. He beat (6) K O BARAM last start and that one too is in the frame along with (8) SEONGSIL SEUNGNI and (11) QUEEN’S BULLET.
Selections (9) Golden Bullet (3) Onnuri Gangja (6) K O Baram (8) Seongsil Seungni
Next Best 11, 5
Fast Start 4, 5, 11
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. SEOGANGDAERO – Class 6 winner over 1200M in February, he stepped up to this class with a solid 4th last month. Not the quickest starter but strong finish and a chance.
2. SHARP QUEENS – 3rd in an all-filly race on March 10th before only beating a couple at a mile later I the month. Step back in trip may benefit today but not among favourites.
3. DREAM START – Beaten by a number of these in two latest starts so plenty to find today.
4. DONGNAM DAEBAK – Class 6 winner over 1300M in March, he didn’t show up over five furlongs two weeks ago. Worth another chance today but needs a good start.
5. UJU JEONGBEOL – 4th behind Segye Ranking on March 31st at this distance and he can look to match that here.
6. SEGYE RANKING – Thee 3rd places and a 2nd in four outings so far. Last time was at class and distance and he beat two who go here. Big chance.
7. MISS HERO – Well back behind Neulhaerang last start.
8. PERFECT HUMOR – Won on debut more than a year ago and while yet to follow up, he’s been consistently close and should be again today.
9. MINIME – Decent 5th of 11 last start and that would be a sensible ambition again today.
10. NEULHAERANG – Yet to win in eight but has been 2nd in each of his latest four. If he can get in front, he can get it right this time.
Verdict: Can (10) NEULHAERANG finally arrest his string of runner-up finishes and get it right today? He’s led his last three only to be beaten by decent horses but if he can get to the lead again, he has strong claims here. The one to beat him this time though may be (1) SEOGANGDAERO. He ran on well last time, not far away from 2nd place and the slight step up in trip may be beneficial. (6) SEGYE RANKING and (8) PERFECT HUMOR always come close and should be involved at the finish.
Selections (1) Seogangdaero (10) Neulhaerang (6) Segye Ranking (8) Perfect Humor
Next Best 5, 4
Fast Start 4, 10
Race 6: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. ITSAGAINT WARRIOR – Been getting further away in recent starts. Only beat a couple home at 1800M last time.
2. DIVINE KING – Up in class following his second win in his last three starts. Both were at this distance and while this is a tougher assignment, he’s to be respected.
3. HIDDEN CHOICE – Well back behind The Stars last time but did beat three of the others who go here and can beat plenty again.
4. HAETBAL – Three very solid performances so far in 2017, all at this distance and in strong company for the level. A win wouldn’t surprise.
5. SUPERSTAR JOHN – We keep waiting for this one to come good. We may have to wait some more but he should be looking for a fast start here.
6. DELMARUI GIJEOK – Disappointing 9th of 12 at 1800M latest but worth another chance back at a mile today. Likely to be on early speed.
7. THE STARS – Shock winner at 1800M on April 2nd beating four of these. A repeat is unlikely but not impossible.
8. DEVIL KING – Last behind The Stars on April 2nd, and a lot to find today.
9. TARIAT MACHO – Fist start this year. He looked very sharp in winning a barrier trial last week and has a top jockey on board. Not impossible.
10. FREE CARE – Found to be lame after a disappointing showing in March. Can go much better today and if he’s at his best, is the one to beat.
Verdict: (10) FREE CARE jumped awkwardly and was later found to be lame after a disappointing go around a mile on March 12th. He’s won two of his previous four and could well have too much for these. (4) HAETBAL enters having gone close in three starts so far this year and will surely be in the mix once more while (6) DELMARIUI GIJEOK will likely be much happier stepped back to a mile today. The up in class (2) DIVINE KING and the returning (9) TARIAT MACHO are others who can be involved.
Selections (10) Free Care (6) Delmarui Gijeok (4) Haetbal (2) Divine King
Next Best 9, 7
Fast Start 5, 6
Race 7: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. CHASTITY – Two starts into a comeback from a six month spell. Narrowly beaten in to 2nd on April 7th and can win this time.
2. MACH BOLT – Generally beats a couple but others should be quicker today.
3. CAPE MAGIC – Class 5 winner at this distance in January and has held his own in two starts at this level. Not impossible.
4. GOLD FLYING – Winner of three from seven including a good race at this class on April 2nd. Has never tried further than 1200M so distance the only question. On speed early.
5. TAKE FOUR MEALS – Up in class having won two of her first three. First try at the distance too but plenty of potential.
6. RUN STAR – Well back behind Gold Flying last start and plenty to find here.
7. MORNING GANGJA – Not beaten many in recent starts and an outsider today.
Verdict: (1) CHASTITY showed signs of getting back to his best form last start when he was just beaten a nose. He looks nicely in here and can come from a handy position to take the win. (4) GOLD FLYING and (5) TAKE FOUR MEALS are both up and comers who have strong potential to go far. It’s the first time at the distance for both but they’ll be competitive as will the more experienced (3) CAPE MAGIC.
Selections (1) Chastity (4) Gold Flying (5) Take Four Meals (3) Cape Magic
Next Best 2
Fast Start 3, 4
Race 8: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. MAJOR WINNER – She won four from eleven before being ruled out for eight months. She’s back here having trialled up in average fashion. Tough ask first-up.
2. EUROPA – Winner of Busan’s top juvenile race last October, he’s yet to add to his account but was 3rd last time beating a couple of his rivals here. A chance.
3. MR. SPENDING – Up in class following a win and a 2nd in his latest two, it’s not impossible here either.
4. WORLD QUICK – 4th behind Europa latest start and can look to match that here.
5. SUPER BLADE – Holds a class and distance 3rd but was well back behind Europa and World Quick last start. Placing chances here.
6. KKEUTPAN AERO – Three for three and up in class and distance. Seven-length winner over 1300M last time and the one to beat here.
7. PHANTOM BLADE – Up in class following a decent 3rd place at 1200M almost two months ago. A bit to find here but should be competitive.
8. DYNA’S DREAM –Hasn’t quite lived up to early potential. Decent 3rd over 1200M in January but not raced since disappointing effort a month later.
9. CHOEGANG ADVENTURE – Struggled in three outings at this level since a win over 1200M last October.
10. POKPUNG SINHWA – 3rd in a strong race over 1200M in April but only beat one home latest.
11. THE QUEEN – Rounded out 2016 with a victory at class and distance but has gone cold in four outings so far this year.
12. YEONGWON CHUKJE – Creditable 5th over a mile on March 31st. That would be a par performance again today.
Verdict: (6) KKEUTPAN AERO is yet to do anything wrong in three outings so there’s no need to oppose her here. She can maintain her 100% record and lead from gate to wire. There’s no doubting this is her toughest assignment to date though. (2) EUROPA may not have made it onto the Triple Crown trail but he surely does have more wins in him and he’s a danger as is the in-form and up in class (3) MR. SPENDING. (4) WORLD QUICK and (5) SUPER BLADE should also be competitive.
Selections (6) Kkeutpan Aero (2) Europa (4) World Quick (3) Mr. Spending
Next Best 5, 7
Fast Start 2, 6, 11
Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. BLUE SIERRA – Surprise winner at class and distance three weeks ago. Won’t be favoured here under an extra 4kg but must be respected.
2. SHARP AMERICAN – Shown little in three outings since returning from a lengthy lay-off.
3. FINE DREAM – Much improved – not to mention unexpected – 2nd last time. That and a top jockey booking make for an interesting outsider.
4. DERBY ACE – Class 4 winner at a mile in February but beaten by Ppudeut and Daseot Me last time. Outside placing chance but much to find.
5. PPUDEUT – Finally got his maiden win at the eighth time of asking at this distance in March. Likely to be on speed and can follow up again.
6. DASEOT ME – Beaten by a few of these lately. Can go close but has plenty to find I he is to win.
7. QUIET RAPTOR – Top jockey booking but shown little in three starts back from a lengthy layoff.
8. QUEEN ELEGANCE – Yet to win in sixteen and little confidence in that changing here.
9. DYNAMIC TANK – Winner at this class over a mile in March, he couldn’t follow up behind Good Casting last start. First time at 1800M and not to be ignored.
10. TOUGH COUNTRY – Has held his own in two outing sat this level since maiden win at a mile in December. Placing chances.
11. HWARYEOHANHAMSEONG – Class and distance winner on March 26th. Apprentice jockey keeps the weight down today and he’s firmly in the frame once more.
12. GOOD CASTING – Just the one win but five 2nd paces to his name. Comfortably defeated by the highly-rated King Of Ace last start, he should be a real contender here.
Verdict: (12) GOOD CASTING keeps on running into one too quick but it could finally be his time today. He’ll be handy from the outside gate and could well make the breakthrough stepped up to 1800M for the first time. One of those who has beaten him is (9) DYNAMIC TANK and while David Miller’s gelding found himself behind Good Casting last start, he too may appreciate a first crack at two turns. (5) PPUDEUT certainly likes the distance and will be a factor again while (10) TOUGH COUNTRY and (11) HWARYEOHANHAMSEONG look to be best of the rest.
Selections (12) Good Casting (5) Ppudeut (9) Dynamic Tank (11) Hwaryeohanhamseong
Next Best 10, 3
Fast Start 1, 5
Race 10: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
1. WORLD LOVE – 6th behind Aju Choegang and Yuseongcheoreom last start. Outside placing chances today.
2. SINHEUNG GOSU – Recent form is uninspiring.
3. YUSEONGCHEOREOM – Won four of his first five. Looks to have found his level at class 2 but with a fast start, can be a danger.
4. GABO STAR – Competitive at this level with two 3rd places among four class 2 outings. 4th last time at the distance and can look to match that today.
5. BLUE STORM – Up in class having won a tough class 3 race last time. Likely fast start and a chance today.
6. STEAL THE SHOW WHY – 4th at this level over 1400M behind so good ones earlier this month. Strong contender here.
7. AJU CHOEGANG – Class and distance winner ahead of three of these on April 7th. Tougher assignment here but must be respected.
8. YEONGTO DAEWANG – Up in class following a good win at the distance at the end of March. Plenty to find but not impossible.
9. SUPER STORM – A class and distance winner last December, he’s been beaten by plenty of these in three outings since.
10. UBAKI – 2nd ahead of plenty of these in January, a few of them have since overturned that form. Not easy today but top jockey booking.
11. MIRACLE BOLT – 3rd behind Yeongto Daewang last start and joins her up in class here. Plenty to find.
12. JEONGSANG JEAP – Capable with lots of experience at this level. Most recent two outings haven’t impressed though.
Verdict: Competitive race to end with and (6) STEAL THE SHOW WHY may have been a well-beaten 4th last start but it showed he could cope with this level and beat a couple of his rivals here. He is the very slight pick to take victory here. (5) BLUE STORM is up in class following a win over the distance in what was a tough race for class 3 while (7) AJU CHOEGANG must be respected following a good win at class and distance earlier this month. (3) YUSEONGCHEREOM and (4) GABO STAR are both established money-winners at this level.
Selections (6) Steal The Show Why (7) Aju Cheogang (5) Blue Storm (3) Yuseongcheoreom
Next Best 4, 1
Fast Start 3, 5, 8