Plenty going on at both Seoul & Busan on what is set to be a beautiful Spring Sunday in Korea. 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 12:40 to 17:05. English race cards are here. Notes on overseas simulcast races below:
Race 9: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. FRUGAL GAME – Struggled in three starts at this level since a class 4 win last October.
2. VIVA TRINITY – Last, well back behind Anyang Lion on latest run.
3. ARGO HWANGGEUMKKOT – Last in both tries at this level since class 4 win in January.
4. REWARD HIGH – Solid 3rd place over 1400M on April 8th and regular money winner at this level. A chance.
5. MUJEOKUI CHAMP – Held her own in three outings at this class so far without being spectacular.
6. SOCASTEE – Up in class following a 2nd place over this distance last month. Should be competitive again.
7. CLEAN UP HERO – Makes just his 4th start today. Strong 3rd of 12 on first try at this class on March 19th and very much the one to beat here.
8. DORAON NALRI – 5th behind Clean Up Hero last time out and the one most likely to get close to him today.
9. GOOD TYPE – Gone cold in two starts this year. Totally unsuited at 1700M latest but this isn’t necessarily easier.
10. INGWANGNO – Raced in tough company since a win and 2nd from first two outings. Could be an interesting outsider here.
11. ROYAL FAVOR – Last of 11 on return from spell last time out. Hard to recommend here.
12. SEONGPA – Went back to trial following 7th of 12 in tough company last month. Flew through the trial and will be backed. Needs a good start though.
Verdict: (7) CLEAN UP HERO looks to be going places and this class shouldn’t detain him too long. He was a very solid 3rd on his first try at the level a month ago and a similar performance should see him home on top today. (8) DORAON NALRI was 5th in that race and looks to be the main danger today with (4) REWARD HIGH, (5) MUJEOKUI CHAMP and (6) SOCASTEE likely to provide placing interest.
Selections (7) Clean Up Hero (8) Doraon Nalri (6) Socastee (4) Reward High
Next Best 5, 12, 10
Fast Start 1, 2, 3, 12
Race 10: Class 1 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
1. SOTONG SIDAE – Back in form lately with back to back 2nd place finishes. Good chance of being in the money again.
2. RUSH FORTH – Beaten by lots of these recently and an outsider here.
3. AREUMDAUNDONGHAENG – 3rd behind Cheonji Storm in February but could only manage 8th of 14 last start when well backed. Placing chance at best.
4. DAEHAN JANGGUN – Beat a couple of these when 7th of 11 over 2300M last time but has plenty to find here.
5. YAHO SUNSHINE – Had excuses last time when last over 1400M. Should be much better today.
6. CHEONJI STORM – Beat three of these when winning at class and distance in February then closed strongly for 2nd in a Group 3 sprint last month. Strong favourite today.
7. GOLD MOUNTAIN – Decent 5th of 12 last time but needs more to make an impression here.
8. WINNING ANDY – Reliable old-stager who can occasionally surprise. Tough ask here.
9. DONGBANJAUI GIJEOK – Well back behind Winner Red last start and much to find today.
10. MIGHTY GEM – Finished 2016 in great form but hasn’t impressed in two attempts so far this year.
11. HWANGGEUMBIYUL – Races for the first time since last November. Won a trial last month but this is a big ask first-up.
12. WINNER RED – Bounced back from a couple of lacklustre performances with a strong 2nd over 1400M a month ago. Second favourite today.
Verdict: (6) CHEONJI STORM is the form horse of the moment, making all to beat three of these at this distance in February and then dropping back to 1200M to almost win a local Group race last month. He should have too much here and can once more lead from gate to wire. (12) WINNER RED was a worry when he ran poorly at the start of March. He quickly bounced back with a 2nd place two weeks later and can be expected to go close here. Also back in form is (1) SOTONG SIDAE with two strong runner-up finishes heading into this. (5) YAHO SUNSHINE and (3) AREUMDAUNDONGHAENG – in that order – look next.
Selections (6) Cheonji Storm (12) Winner Red (1) Sotong Sidae (5) Yaho Sunshine
Next Best 3, 8, 10
Fast Start 6
Race 11: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
1. GRAND PYNX – Has beaten and has been beaten by a few of these recently. 2nd to Blazing Star at class and distance in February and trialled up well earlier this month. A chance.
2. KNIGHTHOOD – 7th of 14, behind plenty of these on March 25th. Improvement possible but plenty of form to overturn.
3. CLEAN UP BINGO – Proven very competitive in three outings at this class, beating plenty of these along the way. A real chance.
4. ACE SPINNING – 3rd behind Anyang Lion last start and firmly in the hunt again.
5. RAON RUSA – Four starts into a comeback after missing most of last year. His best since returning is 4th and that’s a reasonable aim again.
6. BLAZING STAR – Beat plenty of these when winning at class and distance in February but was 6th behind Anyang Lion last start. A chance but jockey gets off to ride another.
7. ANYANG LION – A 3rd and a 2nd from two starts so far this year beating lots of these along the way. Favourite to go one better and get the win today.
8. KODIAK LOVE – Last of 12 last time. Can improve here but will be an outsider.
9. ILJIN HWARANG – Only start so far this year was over 2000M and he only beat one home. Can improve here but looks up against it.
10. LUCKY MUSIC – Returned from lengthy absence to run last over 1800M on April 2nd and has lots to find here.
11. GANGTORI – Not been the same since missing a year.
12. WOW CAT – Gone very cold of late. Has a fast start, if not a fast finish.
Verdict: Most of these have been racing each other lately so there’s plenty of form to go on. (7) ANYANG LION looks to be the pick have bested quite a few of these lately. He should sit handy and he has a strong finish. (4) ACE SPINNING and (1) GRAND PYNX both got close to Anyang Lion last time and they can be competitive again while (3) CLEAN UP BINGO and (6) BLAZING STAR are others who have beaten a number of their rivals here recently and can do so again, the latter likely to set the early pace.
Selections (7) Anyang Lion (3) Clean Up Bingo (4) Ace Spinning (1) Grand Pynx
Next Best 6, 2
Fast Start 6, 12