Racing is back at Busan on Friday with 10 races from 11:30 to 18:00. English race cards are here and notes on races to be simulcast overseas are below:
Race 4: Class 6 / 1600M / Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. JIBONG YEONGUNG – Yet to win in 14 but a 2nd and a 4th among latest four.
2. FOR BART – Debut-maker from, of course, Bart Rice. Few clues from trials but interesting to start a mile. Give him a chance.
3. YOSUL KING – 4th of 7 only creditable performance to date. Outsider.
4. BAY KINGS – Shown little either side of a six-month break between 2nd and 3rd starts.
5. MEISTER GO – Much improved 2nd ahead of two of these on first try at a mile a month ago. The one to beat.
6. WILD COP – 6th behind Meister Go last start. Also holds a 3rd place. Can look for the money here.
7. DARMA – Three solid if unspectacular showings to date. Big step up in trip.
8. PUREUN GANGJA – Has beaten a few on both tries at this distance but is an outsider again here.
Verdict: A small field here with two stand-outs the most likely to get breakthrough for the first time. (5) MEISTER GO stepped up to this distance for the first time On February 3rd and put in his best performance to date, beating a couple of these on his way to 2nd place. A similar performance today would put him in the winner’s circle. (7) DARMA has performed creditably in each of four appearances to date and, stepping up to a mile for the first time looks to have potential and is the main danger. (6) WILD COP was beaten by Meister Go last time but can place here while among the rest, (1) JIBONG YEONGUNG and the debut-maker (2) FOR BART, trained by Bart Rice, are perhaps most likely.
Selections (5) Meister Go (7) Darma (2) For Bart (6) Wild Cop
Next Best 1
Fast Start 5, 8
Race 5: Class 5 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. NIGHT FURY – Winner by a nose on his second start on February 3rd. Up in class and distance here but looks to have potential and is in the frame.
2. WORLD PEACE – Finished well back in two starts at this class since maiden win in December. Improvement not impossible.
3. YUSEONG VICTORY – Did well in five starts last year but off since July. Trialled unconvincingly but is talented.
4. HYPER STAR – One race into a comeback following 8-month absence. Can come on for it.
5. NORTHERN TRACE – Usually beats a few but well back behind Damnyang Taeyang last start.
6. SAMDA GONGJU – Has found her level but should be competitive here. Place possible.
7. BIGBANG BID – Much improved 4th last start gives cause for optimism.
8. ANY NINE – Last raced November 2015. Was talented. Trialled up in average fashion. Don’t rule out.
9. BADA BULPAE – 8th of 12 on first try at this class three weeks ago. Plenty to find.
10. DONGNAM DAERO – Recent form doesn’t inspire.
11. DAMNYANG TAEYANG – 2nd at class and distance on February 5th. The one to beat today.
Verdict: Having been 2nd at class and distance behind a decent winner on February 5th, (11) DAMNYANG TAEYANG looks very much the one to beat here and it would be a surprise to see him sent off as anything other than strong favourite. (1) NIGHT FURY was a winner on just his second start a month ago and is up in both class and distance here. He looks to have more in him and is the primary challenger. Much more experienced is (6) SAMDA GONGJU and this is perhaps the kind of race where she can find the money while it’s a similar story for (7) BIGBANG BID. Returning from layoffs (3) YUSEONG VICTORY and (8) ANY NINE may also be considered.
Selections (11) Damnyang Taeyang (1) Night Fury (6) Samda Gongju (7) Bigbang Bid
Next Best 3, 8, 4
Fast Start 1, 4, 9, 11
Race 6: Class 5 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. SEUNGNI GRAND – Down in class for his 62nd start and accordingly gives a lot of weight away.
2. PARK MAN – 4th behind Baroga in January and then 5th, a head behind Mangang last start. A chance.
3. HWAJEONG –Struggled in three starts at this class.
4. SKY SUN – Surprise 4th in December but reverted to form latest.
5. MANGANG – Beat Park Man and Prize King last start. In decent form and has a chance.
6. PRIZE KING – Well back in two starts so far at this class but still early days so improvement is possible.
7. SAEOUN NA – Showing signs of acclimatising to the level. Outside chance of a place.
8. MAJOR DANCER – Last two were disappointing but he enters fresh and gets a new start here.
9. FOUR NINES – Won a not very special race last time and up in class today. Shown potential to go higher than this level.
10. BAROGA – Narrow winner at this class over 1200M in January. 4th on reappearance at this distance. To be considered.
Verdict: Plenty with claims here. (9) FOUR NINES wasn’t hugely convincing in getting his maiden win at this distance three weeks ago and he is up in class here. Nevertheless, Kim Young Kwan’s colt has been consistent and still looks to have scope for further development. Also consistent and already a winner at this level is (10) BAROGA and he will be a danger. (2) PARK MAN and (5) MANGANG among others who have every chance of going close.
Selections (9) Four Nines (10) Baroga (2) Park Man (5) Mangang
Next Best 6, 8
Fast Start 2, 5
Race 7: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. MISS HERO – Yet to win in 39. Little chance here.
2. SUPER JJANGJJANGI – Returned to form with 2nd last time out. In the frame here.
3. MIRACLE BOLT – Down in class after showing little on return from spell. Can improve but an outsider.
4. HWANHUIUI BYEOL – Beaten a neck on season debut a month ago and the one to beat here.
5. AWESOME DOLL – 2nd and a 3rd in two stars so far. Up to 1200M for the first time today and could go well again.
6. YEONSEUNG JILJU – 2nd at 1200M in January seems an outlier in recent form.
7. DODOHAN – Shown little and beaten by plenty in three prior outings.
8. ITASAGAINT WARRIOR – Looks to be some talent lurking somewhere but has been one-paced so far. Improvement still possible.
9. DANGDAE HWASIN – Down in class having been uncompetitive in recent class 3 starts. This isn’t necessarily any easier.
10. AUCKLAND TEUKGEUP – Bled in January and showed little on reappearance two weeks ago.
11. GIMAKHIN SEONTAEK – 57 starts for 1 win. Won’t be easy here.
12. RETURN OF THE KING – Debut-maker who trialled ok. Worth watching the betting.
Verdict: (4) HWANHUIUI BYEOL was just beaten a neck at class and distance on February 3rd having led late on and has strong claims to be able to hold on here. (5) AWESOME DOLL has shown promise in two outings so far and steps up to 1200M for the first time here. Although she hasn’t run on greatly so far, the extra furlong may suit. (2) SUPER JJANGJJANGI returned to form with a good 2nd place at class and distance on a month ago and will be shorter today. (3) MIRACLE BOLT and (8) ITSAGAINT WARRIOR can show improvement.
Selections (4) Hwanhuiui Byeol (5) Awesome Doll (2) Super Jjangjjangi (8) Itsagaint Warrior
Next Best 3, 12
Fast Start 2, 3, 10
Race 8: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. SHARP WIN – Has found things very challenging at this level.
2. YEONGGWANGUICHUBOK – Going ok of late. Beaten over a length by Macho Myeongun last time so a bit to find.
3. GOSOKTAN – Shown little in four starts. Disqualified for being too slow last time. Five months off since.
4. PHANTOM BLADE – A winner at this level in December. Gone cold in two starts since. Could be in the frame.
5. GOLD FLYING – Up in class following her second win. This will be her first try at further than the minimum distance but she can be competitive.
6. TAIL WIND – Shunsuke Yoshida-owned gelding. Solid 2nd place three weeks ago. Not impossible.
7. KOREA HUNTER – Recent form suggests he has plenty to find.
8. ELISHA – She was last on her first attempt at this class in January. Has only tried further than the minimum twice and hasn’t found it easy.
9. MACHO MYEONGUN – A close 3rd at class and distance last time and should be a significant player here.
10. KWAESOK BOLT – A winner at this class and while he has been a touch disappointing of late, is one of the classier types here.
11. EUTTEUM CLASSIC – Has been on the slide for a year now and remains on the way down.
12. ADELEUI BOM – Steps back in trip and looks to have another win in him soon. Could be here.
Verdict: Tricky little race this. (5) GOLD FLYING is up in class following her second career victory a month ago. All starts to date have been at 1000M so she’s into unchartered territory but there’s no real reason why she can’t be competitive. She’s one of the favourites, as is (6) TAIL WIND. He’s had a bit of a stop-start career so far but a good 2nd place last time out suggests he’s coming back to his best form. Likewise (9) MACHO MYEONGUN looks like he’s figuring things out at this level with a 3rd at the distance last month. (12) ADELEUI BOM takes a step back in distance from his last two and that may be in his favour while (10) KWAESOK BOLT can’t be written off either.
Selections (5) Gold Flying (6) Tail Wind (9) Macho Myeongun (12) Adeleui Bom
Next Best 10, 4
Fast Start 5, 6, 8
Race 9: Class 2 / 1800M / Handicap / KRW 90 Million
1. HWANGJEUI TANSAENG – Winner of 5 from 11 and likely to score more. Up to 1800M for the first time today but solid claims.
2. GOSOK JILJU – Recent form makes this a hard ask.
3. PANGPANG HERO – Inconsistent but capable of finding at least the minor money at this level. Likely pace-setter.
4. GLORY DAYS – Narrowly beaten into 3rd by Jungang Daehae at class and distance on February 3rd. Genuine chance.
5. FURIOUS PARK – Returned from four months off with a solid run in January. Can’t be completely ruled out.
6. JUNGANG DAEHAE – Serious contender having beaten Glory Days and Stealth at class and distance on February 3rd.
7. PALMAUI SEONDU – Class 2 has been a bit too much for him so far.
8. SMART GENTLEMAN – Well beaten by three of these last time out. Lots to find.
9. STEALTH – Winner of a good race by a nose just two weeks ago. Narrowly beaten by Jungang Daehae and Glory Days on February 3rd. He could do it.
10. WONDERFUL TODAY – Well back in that February 3rd race. A lot to overcome here.
11. IRON TRAIN – Recent form doesn’t inspire confidence.
12. SANTA GLORIA – 5th in the Oaks last year and winner at a mile in December to get promoted to this level. Could be a factor.
13. GYEOUL WANGGUK – Promising in three starts since coming back from a 5-month spell. A win is unlikely but has an outside chance at a place.
14. TOP FIGHTER – Ran in last year’s President’s Cup but hard to see him causing the favourites any problems here.
Verdict: Another tough race and a rare one with fourteen runners. Just two weeks ago, (9) STEALTH won a class and distance test by a nose with a strong late run. He’s carrying an extra 3kg today and was beaten by a couple of these the time before – this is his third race in four weeks – but there is still a chance he can repeat. Those two who beat Stealth on February 3rd were (6) JUNGANG DAEHAE and (4) GLORY DAYS and they will be well-backed once more but others not to be ruled out include (1) HWANGJEUI TANSAENG and (12) SANTA GLORIA, both of whom make just their second starts at class 2.
Selections (9) Stealth (1) Hwangjeui Tansaeng (4) Glory Days (6) Jungang Daehae
Next Best 12, 13
Fast Start 3, 4, 6
Race 10: Class 3 / 1600M / Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. DYNAMIC TANK – Didn’t go well last time but a place is possible.
2. AJU PUJINHAM – Gone cold last two. Well beaten by Good Casting last start.
3. ACE SINHWA – Just one win but consistently close and should be again. Likely pace-setter.
4. SEUNGNI PARK – First time since September. Trialled ok but big ask first up.
5. GOOD CASTING – One win and close on all five starts to date. Stretches out to a mile for the first time and is the one to beat.
6. SHARP AMERICAN – Only beat one on his return from almost a year out. Little reason to be confident today.
7. GIMAKHIN JILJU – Struggled in all four efforts at this level.
8. WINNING HUMOR – A winner at this class at 1400M in January. Must be respected today.
9. BIO BLUE – Can at least match back-to-back 5th place finishes from his last two.
10. SPEED MARK – Up in class following victory over 1200M on February 12th. Not impossible.
11. B.K. PHIL – 6th in each of his last three. That would be par again today.
Verdict: (5) GOOD CASTING has shown plenty of promise in his five prior starts and beat a couple of these over 1400M last start. He steps up to a mile for the first time today and has every chance of landing his second win. (3) ACE SINHWA has plenty of experience at this level, usually coming close and can do so once more. (8) WINNING HUMOR was a somewhat surprising winner on January 15th at this class and while he is weighted less favourably today, a repeat is not impossible. (9) BIO BLUE and the up in class (10) SPEED MARK look best of the rest.
Selections (5) Good Casting (3) Ace Sinhwa (8) Winning Humor (10) Speed Mark
Next Best 9, 11
Fast Start 1, 3, 11