The day before the international Korea Cup and Korea Sprint sees a 10-race card at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00. There are Trophy Exchange races with the Macau Jockey Club, Singapore Turf Club, Japan Racing Association, Hong Kong Jockey Club and Horse Racing Ireland. Each is worth 150 Million Won so plenty of good fields have been attracted. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens contest a big prize in the opener and six of the ten race for the very first time. Unusually, we will side with one of the first timers. (4) FARCIARZ went through two trials, drawn wide both times and improving in the second of them. He gets a good gate and a top jockey, and a bold showing seems likely first-up. (10) STRONG CHARM ran 2nd on debut and while he couldn’t follow up on his next outing, he still ran a good time. He won’t need to improve much on that to go close here. (7) MONSTER POWER was an on-pace 3rd in his trial in a fast time. He should be able to get on the pace here as well and can be in it a long way. (8) CATS EYE improved in the second of his two trials. It wasn’t a fast run heat so he could have potential to improve here. Returning to those with experience, (5) BEST CLONE didn’t do too much wrong on debut and can improve.
|Selections||(4) Farciarz (10) Strong Charm (7) Monster Power (8) Cats Eye|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Fillies only here. (1) VESPER was beaten by a couple of these when a slightly below-par 4th on her latest start on August 13th. She can get a bit far back in her races but has shown a good turn of foot and if she can get herself in a spot where she is in contention, she has solid claims here. (2) P N S SING ran 2nd in that August 13th race, her best finish to date. She was on pace that day and is well drawn to do the same here and she should be in the finish again. (9) SONGAM NURI ran 3rd in that race, her best finish to date. An apprentice keeps her weight light again and she can be competitive. As for those who didn’t go in that August race, (6) HANGANG HERO enters with a 2nd and a 5th from her latest two, both in good times and along with (7) ARCH MEMORY, is another in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) Vesper (2) P N S Sing (9) Songam Nuri (6) Hangang Hero|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
A very ordinary set of maidens. (6) P N S THE KING is the only one of the twelve to have as much of a runner-up finish to his name and that, along with the fact he has shown some consistency is enough to make him favourite here. He comes in off a fair 5th of twelve in a good time over 1200M on August 20th and won’t need to improve too much on that here. (3) EUREKA has also put in some consistent efforts with three 4th place finishes from six starts. He steps up to this trip for the first time, should be on pace and should be looking for better than 4th this time. (8) BEST BIG BANG registered a 3rd place two starts back over this distance and that’s enough to put him in the frame here while (9) TWO ACE is yet to finish any better than 6th but does have the best time among those who have tackled the distance before. (10) SAEBYEOK BAND among others in the frame.
|Selections||(6) P N S The King (3) Eureka (8) Best Big Bang (9) Two Ace|
|Next Best||10, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 4: Class Open (1200M) Macau Jockey Club Trophy / Allowance / KRW 150 Million
An also-ran in the Korean Derby, (7) BULBANGUL has since won back-to-back races at class 4 level, both over this distance, that latest an easy score in a fast time. That takes his record to four from seven in total and he will be a warm favourite here. He likes to settle back and run on, and he will take some beating. (4) WILD SOCKS enters having won his latest three, the latter two over 1400M at class 4 level. He has posted fast times at this distance too and from a good gate, can sit handy and finish well. (2) VICEROY is firmly established at class 3 level with three placings and a 4th from four attempts at it since winning at class 4 in February. He is up considerably in the weights from his last start 2nd but draws well to be on the pace and can be competitive again. (3) TOUGH GUY has only raced up to class 5 but exited that level with a last start over this distance in a very smart time. He is nicely suited under these conditions and can be competitive. (5) JOEUNGIRL, who has had an interrupted career but who has loads of ability, is the wildcard.
|Selections||(7) Bulbangul (4) Wild Socks (2) Viceroy (3) Tough Guy|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 11|
Seoul Race 5: Class Open (1200M) Singapore Turf Club Trophy / Allowance / KRW 150 Million
Fascinating filly and mare race with a big prize. (11) WISH ME has nine top two finishes from eleven starts and comes in having finished runner-up to Raon First in the Ttukseom Cup and to Calm Strong in the KNN Cup, both times with plenty of today’s rivals behind her. She comes back in trip, but she likes to be on pace and while the draw is a little wide, she can go close. (1) RAON THE SPURT was one of the standouts of the Filly Triple Crown trail with a 3rd and two runner-up finishes in the three races. She returned to class 3 company to win over 1800M on July 30th and while this is her first time back at a sprint distance since she was a juvenile, she had previously excelled at it. She can be on pace and is a big chance. (2) VICTOR MOON and (3) LOVELY K are both front-runners with class 2 form and should be competitive here while (13) LUCKY JAESAN is rising through the grades having won her latest two and has every chance of measuring up in this company.
|Selections||(11) Wish Me (1) Raon The Spurt (2) Victor Moon (3) Lovely K|
|Next Best||13, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 11, 13|
Seoul Race 6: Class Open (1800M) JRA Trophy / Allowance / KRW 150 Million
(3) NAMSANUI BYEOL has been ultra-consistent with sixteen of his eighteen starts having resulted in top-five finishes. He has won two of his latest three most recently over 2000M at class 2 level. An on-pace galloper, he draws well here, and he has big claims. (6) GOOD PILSEUNG races for the first time since running 4th behind Winner’s Man in the Herald Business back in May. He looked very well when leading all the way in a trial last week and while this is not an easy first-up task, he could be equal to it. (11) CHIEF INDY was 2nd to Determination in the Listed Sports Chosun in March and subsequently won at this distance at class 2 level. He can be forgiven his latest outing and can go close here. (1) DORAON POPEYE doesn’t win out of turn but has three placed finishes at class 2 level from his latest three and can be competitive here. (8) BOLT MAN another in the frame.
|Selections||(3) Namsanui Byeol (6) Good Pilseung (11) Chief Indy (1) Doraon Popeye|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 7: Class Open (1700M) Hong Kong Jockey Club Trophy / Allowance / KRW 150 Million
(2) JANGSAN LASER will be hot favourite to win here. He has taken out all of his latest three outings to move his rating into class 1 territory. He tackles two-turns for the first time, but he has won up to 1600M and it would be a surprise were he not to win this, probably leading from gate to wire. (10) DIXIE AGAIN ran a super 3rd to Eoma Eoma and Raon The Fighter in the Busan Ilbo in April before finishing back in the pack in two subsequent Group races. He is a class 1 winner though and the draw is no issue as he likes to settle back and run on. He can return to form here. (7) JANGSAN BADA comes in having won the Listed Ilgan Sports Trophy over 1800M on July 10th when sitting handy throughout and running on. (11) MASK has mixed his form of late but remains very capable on his day. (9) ROYAL ROAD another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(2) Jangsan Laser (10) Dixie Again (7) Jangsan Bada (11) Mask|
|Next Best||9, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 11|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (1400M) Horse Racing Ireland Trophy / Allowance / KRW 150 Million
(3) WONPYEONG GASOK has won two of his latest three to get rapidly promoted to class 2 level, consistently posting fast times. He ran 2nd over 1400M on his first try at that level on July 24th and while he comes up 3.5kg under today’s conditions, he gets a good gate to get on the speed and he can win again here. (11) FOREVER DREAM won three in a row between April and June and then led for much of the way around in the Listed Ilgan Sports Trophy over 1800M in July ultimately finishing 5th. He has run well coming off the pace too so the draw shouldn’t be too much of a problem and he has a chance. So too (5) DONGJIN CHOEGANG, who ran 4th in that Ilgan Sports. He has won at this distance in fast times and is another who should be on or close to the pace today. (1) JOY BROTHER comes in having run 2nd in a very fast race over the distance on August 18th and along with (10) MONEY ZIF is another in the minor money hunt.
|Selections||(3) Wonpyeong Gasok (11) Forever Dream (5) Dongjin Choegang (1) Joy Brother|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 11|
Seoul Race 9: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) GANGNYEOKHANJIGEUM comes up in class having broken through at the third time of asking, making all over 1400M on July 30th. He draws well here and has every chance of making it two in a row. (1) GLOBAL PRIME too comes up in class after a maiden win, in her case a narrow score at this distance on July 16th when she settled right back in the pack before just getting up. She comes down in the weights, draws a nice gate, and can measure up in this company. (6) GEUMSEONG CROWN won at this distance two starts back before running 3rd on his first try at this class on July 30th. From a central draw, he can sit handy to the speed and can run on here. (8) BYEOLBIT MARU and (7) SEMYEONG NARAE among others in the frame.
|Selections||(4) Gangneyokhanjigeum (1) Global Prime (6) Geumseong Crown (8) Byeolbit Maru|
|Next Best||7, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) COSMO will be hot favourite to take out the last. She has five top-two finishes from six starts so far and comes in having finished runner-up in a fast time at class and distance on July 24th. She comes up in the weights today but should get to the lead and should have far too much for this field. (6) ANYANG HORANGI enters having won at class and distance on July 30th beating a few of today’s rivals. She had been working her way back in to form following some indifferent efforts and she can maintain her run with a good showing here too. (10) DOKKAEBE ran 3rd behind Anyang Horangi last time out having been 2nd the time before. He has placing chances again. (3) NAMSAN CHOCOLATE and (2) JEDI FORCE are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(5) Cosmo (6) Anyang Horangi (10) Dokkaebe (3) Namsan Chocolate|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 9|