Busan flies solo on Sunday with a bumper 15-race card from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens in the opener with all but two racing for the first time. That pair showed ability though. (3) JEULGEOUNYEOJEONG won a June trial and was sent off as an odds-on favourite on debut on July 17th. She jumped out well but couldn’t get to a good winner, ultimately ending in 2nd. It was a fast time, she should have come on for the experience, and she won’t need to improve much to win this. (6) BUILD UP sat midfield in a small field on his debut on July 10th. He ran a solid 3rd in a fair time and with some natural improvement can be close here. As for the first-timers, (7) GREAT MISS led all the way in her trial, crossing the line almost a second ahead of anything else. If she brings that form to the races, she’ll go close. (4) THUNDER FURY and (9) PEGACORN, the latter a winner of a slow heat, are others who can make a bold showing first-up.
|Selections||(3) Jeulgeounyeojeong (6) Build Up (7) Great Miss (4) Thunder Fury|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7, 9|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
The second division of the juvenile maiden, this time with four of the nine having raced previously. This time we’ll side with a newcomer in the shape of probable favourite (9) PAN STAR. She showed prominently in her trial, working through the line well in a good time. She won’t need to improve much on that to win here. (2) JEONGMUN SPECTER also showed well in his trial, leading for most of the way and crossing the line 2nd in a fair time and from a nice draw can make a bold showing first up. (4) HANEUL JEWANG is another newcomer who ran 2nd in his trial and can make an impact. As for the ones with experience, (5) THUNDER CROWN ran a decent enough 4th on debut and should have come on for the run while (8) WONDERFUL ANDOVER came through a tricky maiden and can also improve.
|Selections||(9) Pan Star (2) Jeongmun Specter (4) Haneul Jewang (5) Thunder Crown|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Maiden three-year-olds. (1) GRAPHENE KING will be favourite and is the one to beat. He improved to finish runner-up on his second career appearance over 1400M on July 8th when leading almost the entire way around. He comes back in trip, draws nicely on the inside, and may take some beating. (2) GAMDONG ENERGY has mixed her form across six starts so far but has put in some fair performances at this distance. She can settle on pace or handy here and should be in the finish. There are four debut-makers and among them (9) HONOR CAL is the one who caught the eye in trials. She led for most of the way around before crossing the line 3rd in what was a fast run heat. If she brings that form to the races, she won’t be far away. (6) SPICE ECTON is another debut-maker. He sat handy in his trial, running on for 2nd and while it wasn’t a fast time, he can be competitive in this company. (4) STAR MATTA perhaps the best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) Graphene King (2) Gamdong Energy (9) Honor Cal (6) Spice Ecton|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(4) SMILEY LARRY settled back on debut over 1200M on July 17th before running on and finishing 3rd. He comes up slightly in trip today which may suit and with some natural improvement can have winning chances here. The main danger is (10) PURE MAGIC. He has been consistent across his three starts so far with a best of 2nd over 1200M in June. He has been on or close to the pace on each occasion so a wider draw today perhaps isn’t to his advantage but there isn’t much speed in this race so he may be able to get to the front without much difficulty anyway. If he can, he will take some going past. (7) ETERNAL ACE was 5th behind Pure Magic last time out. That was his third time finishing in that position but in this company, he should be getting closer today. (8) SIMON TOP GUN and (6) ORANGE STAR are other possibles for the minors.
|Selections||(4) Smiley Larry (10) Pure Magic (7) Eternal Ace (8) Simon Top Gun|
|Next Best||6, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 8, 10|
Busan Race 5: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(1) CHAMP GO returns to action for the first time since March. He has a 2nd place to his name at this distance which he recorded in January in a time faster than any of the others here have recorded. He comes down 3kg on his last start, draws well and while he didn’t offer too many clues in a trial two weeks ago, at his best he can win this. (3) DOCTOR KHALIFA has steadily improved across four outings to date. He overcame gate ten last time out on July 22nd to run a close 3rd over this distance and makes a quick return. He can settle just behind any early pace and run on. (8) SUNSHINE STAR returns to action for the first time since March when he ran a much improved 3rd over a mile. He trialed up adequately three-weeks ago and has a chance first-up here. (2) NAREUCAT and (10) QUEEN OF SPIRIT among others in the frame.
|Selections||(1) Champ Go (3) Doctor Khalifa (8) Sunshine Star (2) Nareucat|
|Next Best||10, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 10|
Busan Race 6: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(3) EURO STAR has hinted at ability across her seven starts to date and comes in off a 4th place finish over a mile on July 22nd. She jumped out well that day and was handy throughout and in a race where the form is patchy to say the least, she has as good a chance as any. The drop in trip may allow her to overturn the form on (10) DANGDAE BLUE, who ran 2nd in that July 22nd race. That was a significant improvement for him and one that he can build on here despite the inconvenience of the widest gate. (4) HORAENGI returns to racing for the first time since December. She trialed up very nicely two weeks ago and she does have the fastest time of any of these for the distance. She can go well first up. (9) JEONGMUN CHITA and (5) THE PRINCESS look to be other potential improvers.
|Selections||(3) Euro Star (10) Dangdae Blue (4) Horaengi (9) Jeongmun Chita|
|Next Best||5, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 9|
Busan Race 7: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Small field but we do finally get to some horses who have actually won a race after all the preceding class 6’s. (2) GOOD SOCKS has actually won two although they were a long time ago. She returned from a layoff of more than a year to run 2nd to stablemate Black Olive on July 8th leading most of the way. She comes up 2kg for that run but she should also be much the better for it and from a good draw, can win. (7) INDY CHOICE led at his latest start on July 10th before finishing 3rd behind good winner Shaka. He took a couple of races to get to grips with this level but looks ready to go close again. (3) BAEK GU was 4th in that same race, continuing a consistent run of form. She is versatile and it would be no surprise if she was in the money again. (4) TAMNA HANEUL and (1) A. ONCE others to consider.
|Selections||(2) Good Socks (7) Indy Choice (3) Baek Gu (4) Tamna Haneul|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 7|
Busan Race 8: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(10) SEOBU TEUKGEUP was a beaten favourite over 1400M at this class on July 17th, having been on pace and leading into the straight. She comes back slightly in trip and despite the wide draw, she can get it right this time. (2) HWARANG SKY got her win at this distance two starts back at class 6 level. She then ran a decent 4th of seven on her first try at this class on July 17th. She carries a light weight here, draws nicely and can be competitive. (1) UNJU STAR ran 2nd to Hwarang Sky two starts back before getting a maiden win of his own at this distance on July 15th. He is up in class here but down in weights and can measure up in this company. (5) GREEN CHEETAH enters off back-to-back 3rd place finishes, both at 1200M. She likes to be on or close to the speed and draws well to do exactly that and can be in this a long way. (3) GEUMA INFINITE among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(10) Seobu Teukgeup (2) Hwarang Sky (1) Unju Star (5) Green Cheetah|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 10|
Busan Race 9: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Possibly the most competitive race on the card with plenty of potential winners. There are three standouts. (4) HOLLYWOOD PARTY made all to win at class 6 level over 1200M in June before coming close to repeating the trick at this class and distance on July 17th, ultimately finishing a close 2nd. She only comes up 1kg in the weights and has a solid chance. (5) DAEJI SPECIAL has won at this distance and enters off a last start 2nd over 1200M when on pace throughout. He draws better today and should be in the finish. (3) TRIPLE JILJU beat Daeji Special two starts back when the pair ran 3rd and 5th respectively over this distance. He followed up with a strong 2nd on July 24th when settling midfield and running on. He has the fastest time of any of these at the distance and shouldn’t be dismissed. (9) ANY LINE and (8) ART KELLY are among others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(4) Hollywood Party (5) Daeji Special (3) Triple Jilju (9) Any Line|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 8, 11|
Busan Race 10: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(3) YASAENGHWA is very consistent at this class with a 2nd and two 3rd place finishes since being promoted after her maiden win. She is well suited under today’s set weights, she likes to race forward and with a nice drawn, she has a big chance. (2) POKPUNG JILJU is two starts into this preparation following a full ten months out. Those two races have yielded back-to-back runner-up finishes by narrow margins. He comes up in the weights and does tend to get a bit far back in his races but the step up in trip and probable slower tempo may suit him. (1) HOLLYWOOD QUEEN may be interesting at a potentially good price. She won at class and distance in June and she does get back and run on. An apprentice claim makes her nicely in here. (7) YONGCHEON was a last start winner over 1400M in class 6 when settling midfield and running on. He doesn’t get any weight relief but may be up to a place. (8) HERO MAN another in the frame.
|Selections||(3) Yasaenghwa (2) Pokpung Jilju (1) Hollywood Queen (7) Yongcheon|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 8|
Busan Race 11: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) BLACK OLIVE is three for three and is up in class and in distance here. There was a gap of more than a year between her first and second starts and she has won her latest two well. She is nicely weighted here and the additional trip shouldn’t pose too many problems. (7) MAN OF THE STAR won well at this distance at class 5 level two starts back before leading briefly then weakening over a mile on his first try at this level. He too comes in under a light weight and back to 1400M can be a danger. (9) SEOGWI POINT has finished 3rd in both attempts at this class so far, both over the distance. She can settle midfield and run on so the draw shouldn’t be an issue and she can challenge for at least a place again. The up in class (4) UNJU OCEAN along with (6) ILNYEOM CHEONHA are others in the money hunt.
|Selections||(5) Black Olive (7) Man Of The Star (9) Seogwi Point (4) Unju Ocean|
|Next Best||6, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 7|
Busan Race 12: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) EUNSEONG YEONGUNG has won at class and distance and comes in having run a good 2nd on July 15th when beaten by one of today’s rivals. He comes up a little in the weights but that is balanced by the inside gate which should help in this tough race. (7) H. DAY has five top-three finishes from six starts so far. And has back-to-back runner- up finishes in two tries at this level, both over 1200M. He runs on well and while he is up in trip and slightly in the weights, he has solid claims here. (8) BEASTLY was the winner of that July 15th race ahead of Eunseong Winner. He has the challenge of a wider barrier and 4.5kg extra on his back today, but he will be a danger. (5) WINNER’S TIME is another last start class and distance winner who gets an additional 4.5kg today but who can also be considered from a nice draw. (6) CHEONGDAM DRIVE tends to get a bit far back but can run on into some money.
|Selections||(1) Eunseong Yeongung (7) H. Day (8) Beastly (5) Winner’s Time|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7, 8|
Busan Race 13: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(3) SINBIHAN GANGJA as nine top-three finishes but a win has so far remained elusive. That could change here. Remarkably he is yet to go further than a mile, a distance that he has a good record at. He is nicely drawn and has been settling back in his races and running on and the tempo at this distance may suit. An apprentice jockey keeps his carried weight light. The probable favourite is (10) KING GRACE. It took him ten attempts at class 6 to get his maiden win but class 5 detained him just one start as he overcame the same wide gate he draws today to win over this distance. A hat-trick is possible. (8) ANNIKA GIRL was a big winner over this distance on her latest start on July 8th at class 5 level when she made all. That was her maiden win at her fifteenth attempt but she can measure up in this company. (5) CHOEGANG MARINE, another one up in class following a last start win, in his case over a mile, and (1) ACE JACKPOT are others to enter the calculations. A special mention for (9) ONNURI GANGJA, who makes his 100th career start here. It probably won’t be his second win but he did manage a 3rd place at this distance two starts back.
|Selections||(3) Sinbihan Gangja (10) King Grace (8) Annika Girl (5) Choegang Marine|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 7|
Busan Race 14: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(8) BURUI GEOM had a hard time in the Minister’s Cup over 2000M at Seoul in June but returned but returned to shallower waters to win here over a mile at class 4 level on July 10th. He comes up in class here but down in weight and he has won at this distance already. (11) TRIUMPH CAT has won his last two starts at a mile and 1800M, bringing him up in class here. He gets a big weight drop which can compensate for the wide draw and he looks right in this. (9) HAPPY WOMAN may be a chance at an each-way price. Disregard her last start when having her first shot at 1800M and at this class, and instead go on her prior solid record. She does go better when racing forward so the barrier may not help, but don’t rule out. (2) CHANGE BACK and (10) GALAXY ROAD are other solid chances.
|Selections||(8) Burui Geom (11) Triumph Cat (9) Happy Woman (2) Change Back|
|Next Best||10, 1|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 10, 11|
Busan Race 15: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(3) BEOLMAUI STAR is a winner of three from seven and is up in class but very much down in weight. He likes to lead and from a nice draw should win the start and prove very hard to pass. He’ll be favourite in what is, nevertheless, a good race. (7) BUSANHANG GALMAEGI is up in class having won three of his latest four, all at today’s distance. He too gets a nice weight drop and while he does have the challenge of some other on-pace runners drawn inside of him, if he can find a good position, he can be in this a long way. (2) COPY THAT is worth consideration on his latest start when he won at this class over 1400M with some of today’s rivals back down the track behind him. He was handy to midfield that day, but he struck the front 300M out and won well. A 3kg apprentice claim keeps him competitive here. Draw a line through the latest outing from (6) DOCTOR FASHION. That was at 1400M behind Copy That but he comes back to a distance over which he is a four-time winner and it should suit more. (1) TOP FIRE another in the hunt.
|Selections||(3) Beolmaui Star (7) Busanhang Galmaegi (2) Copy That (6) Doctor Fashion|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 9|