Last Sunday Heat Yegam confirmed his position as Champion three-year-old colt with victory in the Minister’s Cup. This week it’s the turn of the fillies to finish up their Triple Crown. It will be one of Luna Stakes winner Raon Pink or Oaks winner Choegang Black, both of whom return to face each other again in the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup over 2000M. One race earlier, the older fillies and mares get to run for a big prize in the Jeju Governor’s Cup with Raon First set to be a hot favourite. There are 10 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 while at Busan there are 7 races from 11:10 to 16:40. All betting locations are open however attendance must be pre-booked using the MyCard app. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens in the opener with all but one racing for the very first time. And among those first-timers there was a stand-out trial performance from (8) JAY PHOENIX. From the widest gate he cruised to the lead and continued that cruise to cross the line a full two-seconds faster than the next home. If he brings that form to the races, he wins. The sole entrant with previous experience came close on debut. After winning a trial (10) BLACK MASK was sent off hot favourite on October 16th but ultimately came home in 2nd place. Nevertheless, it was a quick time, and he comes in after nine weeks off, ready to be in the mix again. Back to the trial videos for the rest and (2) NERWOOLI won his heat in good fashion while there were also encouraging performances from (7) BURUI SINHWA and (11) HAPPY MIX.
|Selections||(8) Jay Phoenix (10) Black Mask (2) Nerwooli (7) Burui Sinhwa|
|Next Best||11, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8, 10|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens and (9) ILNYEOM CHEONHA will be favourite. Having run well in a trial, he was 2nd on debut on November 21st at this distance, overcoming a slightly sluggish start to run on well. It was a fair time and faster than any of the others recorded on their respective debuts and he is the one to beat. (7) RAON THE FIGHTING also ran 3rd on debut on November 19th. He sat behind the pace and ran on pleasingly enough and should have come on for the run. There are three first time starters and the one which will attract the most interest is (5) GEUMA UNO. He was an on-pace 2nd in his heat in a fair time and the Kim Young-kwan/You Hyun-myung connection will ensure he is well backed first-up. (6) ALL CROWN and (10) PLAY THE INDY both hinted on debut that they have some potential and can also be in the mix for minor money.
|Selections||(9) Ilnyeom Cheonha (7) Raon The Fighting (5) Geuma Uno (6) All Crown|
|Next Best||10, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Filly maidens only here and it could be a chance for (6) DELPHINI to get her first win. She returned from six months out to run a pleasing 3rd over this distance in a similar race on November 21st, running on as is her style. From a nice central draw and with Munro aboard, there isn’t too much to fear here. Vying with her for favourite status will be (8) GALSAEK HYANGGI. She’s shown improvement over three outings to date, culminating in 3rd place on her first try over today’s trip on November 20th when she went back and ran on strong. She’ll be in the finish again. (1) FLEX QUEEN recorded her best finish to date at her latest start when 2nd over this distance. She led that day and from the same inside gate today will surely aim to do the same. (7) EAST MAGIC and (5) WONDERFUL NIKIYA are among a few others with at least placing chances.
|Selections||(6) Delphini (8) Galsaek Hyanggi (1) Flex Queen (7) East Magic|
|Next Best||5, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 11|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Tricky race. (5) DAEHO NURI has finished no better than 5th in four attempts so far but he has run the kind of times that ought to be competitive here. From a good draw, he can sit handy and run on and this could be his day. (8) ALIVE STAR returns to action for the first time since May. He is the only previous winner in the field and while being first-up in thirty-two weeks is obviously going to pose some questions, he looked well enough when running 3rd in a late November trial. If he is at his best, he can win this. (3) ARTIE’S GAL races for the first time in even longer. His best result was a 3rd place on debut at this distance in a slow race more than a year ago, but he won a trial in November leading all the way, has a good draw and a featherweight to carry. (14) GREEN SPEED has already finished as runner-up at this distance. She led for much of that race so may need a touch of luck early from the widest gate, but she can be considered. (2) DOCTOR TANGO another placing chance.
|Selections||(5) Daeho Nuri (8) Alive Star (3) Artie’s Gal (14) Green Speed|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 12, 14|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(5) SAENAE HWANGJE showed improvement when stepped up to two-turns for the first time on November 14th, settling handy and running on for 2nd place. The time wasn’t fast, but he won’t need to go much faster to win this. (7) VIVA CHAMPION comes up to this trip for the first time after a couple of creditable performances at shorter. He has run on well in his latest two and if he does the same today will run into some money. (10) RUNNING NUMBER ONE overcame a wide draw to finish 3rd in a plodding affair at this distance on November 27th. That’s two places in his last three starts, both coming at this distance, and he should be in the finish again. (3) SEMYEONG CAPTAIN was 5th behind Running Number One at his latest outing and can aim to match or better today. (1) ONE PUTT always three-putts the start but usually runs on and should pass plenty in a race where a double-bogey will be enough to get on the leaderboard.
|Selections||(5) Saenae Hwangje (7) Viva Champion (10) Running Number One (3) Semyeong Captain|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 8|
Busan Race 3: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(3) ADELE BOSS steps up in trip following a 3rd and a 5th in his latest two at 1000M and 1200M respectively. The latter time he had to deal with gate fourteen and wasn’t able to find a decent position whereas today, from a much better draw he can use his good start to get away well. He has claims. So too does (9) ONE RUSH, who has raced just twice but has a 5th and a 3rd with the latter being at this distance in a good time. She sat midfield and ran on that day and while she still draws wide, in the smaller field, should be able to find a position early and run on again. (1) DAEJI SPECIAL ran into 3rd place at 1000M at his latest start. Although a previous try at 1200M didn’t go especially well, from a nice draw he can be considered for improvement here. (6) YEONSEUNG GLORY improved to 2nd at his most recent start over this distance and along with (5) MONEY BAG, warrants consideration for a place.
|Selections||(3) Adele Boss (9) One Rush (1) Daeji Special (6) Yeonseung Glory|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 9|
Seoul Race 4: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(8) CHEONGDAM TANK looks ready to win here. She has just the one solitary success so far, along with no fewer than five runner-up finishes from his thirteen starts but comes in off a good 3rd place in competitive class and distance race on November 21st. She is likely to be on or near the pace here and is the one to beat. Should she find one too quick again then it may well be (6) JOYFUL K. She tackles two turns for the first time having shown good form in her latest three over 1400M at this class. She has a good start on her and may well be setting the pace. (4) TK DAY has loads of experience at this class and while he doesn’t look a winning chance should be competitive for a place. On paper (1) YUJEONG CHAMPS’s latest three efforts look underwhelming but one of them was the Cup Mile. This is the most amenable company he has faced in some time, and he should improve. (7) A.P. PATEK mixes his form but has won at this class over 1400M and placed at today’s distance.
|Selections||(8) Cheongdam Tank (6) Joyful K (4) TK Day (1) Yujeong Champ|
|Next Best||7, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 9|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(12) MILLION BANK draws wide but still looks very much the one to beat here. She has a win and two runner-up finishes from three outings so far. She ran on for 2nd at this class over 1200M on her latest start behind Adele Rosario and she should be too good here. (7) UNJU EUTTEUM was a good winner at class 6 level back in October. At her latest start she had a hard time from a wide gate but can be given another chance here. (11) DAEHOMA comes in following back-to-back runner-up finished over 1400M. He comes up in class this time but can measure up. (5) BANJIUI GIJEOK was disappointing at her latest start when she struggled from out wide but from a much better draw can get closer this time. (2) TRIPLE STORM had a hard time when tried over 1800M on his first effort at this class on November 19th. His running style had suggested it may suit, but he should be more comfortable today
|Selections||(12) Million Bank (7) Unju Eutteum (11) Daehoma (5) Banjiui Gijeok|
|Next Best||2, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Competitive race. (4) RULES CLASS comes in off two consecutive 3rd place finishes, both times beating rivals he faces again today. He comes up slightly in the weights but that is offset by a better draw, and he could well be winning this. (3) YONGHOJIMA comes up in class following back-to-back 2nd place finished over 1000M. He is up in trip too, but he ran through the line well both times and can measure up here. (8) MAGIC TIDE comes back in trip after two creditable efforts over 1400M. She is yet to win but her best results have come at this distance, and she has a strong finish on her so should be doing her best work late on here. (6) OLD BLADE returned to action a couple of weeks ago following over five months out. She could only manage 7th but it was a decent loosener and she can improve here. (5) PERFECT POWER another with placing claims.
|Selections||(4) Rules Class (3) Yonghojima (8) Magic Tide (6) Old Blade|
|Next Best||5, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 8|
Busan Race 5: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
A very competitive race. We’ll take a chance on (8) AFLEET TAPIT to follow up his maiden victory, which came over 1400M on November 19th when he went back and ran on strong. He comes up in the weights, but the distance should suit, and he can win again. (3) NEW LUX could only manage 3rd when sent off as favourite in an all-filly race at class and distance on November 7th. She has previously run some very good times over the mile including a 3rd place behind World Change and King Goliath in September and she should be in the mix here. (2) DOCTOR TEXAS comes up in trip after a fast 3rd over 1400M a month ago when he led for most of the way around. He draws nicely and should be on pace again and in this a long way. (6) K K WON has run consistently well at this distance and once more has a light weight with an apprentice taking 4kg off his back. (11) WONDERFUL WORLD was a winner at this distance at class 6 level two starts back before pulling off a great run to beat plenty of these when 2nd on November 26th. He warrants more respect this time.
|Selections||(8) Afleet Tapit (3) New Lux (2) Doctor Texas (6) K K Won|
|Next Best||11, 14|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 13|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) BYEOLUI SUNGAN was a winner at this class over 1300M on November 6th when he overcame a wide gate to sit handy and then run on to win comfortably. HE comes up in the weights and marginally in trip too, but he gets a much better draw, and he is favoured to win again. (6) JANGSAN GUARD is yet to win in eight attempts but has finished in 2nd place on no fewer than four occasions, including his latest two, both at this class over 1200M. He’ll be on pace here but may have to settle for another runner-up finish. (3) MENIFEE MUSIC has a 4th and a 2nd in two attempts at this class, both at this distance. She draws nicely, carries a light weight and is very much in this. (9) BEST TAP has the fastest time of any of these at this distance and along with last start class and distance winner but up in weight and drawn unluckily (13) HOLIDAY CHARM.
|Selections||(1) Byeolui Sungan (6) Jangsan Guard (3) Menifee Music (9) Best Tap|
|Next Best||13, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 6|
Busan Race 6: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
This is a competitive race. This is a big step up for (4) WONDERFUL FAGER in terms of both class and distance but he has looked very assured in two starts back from five months out with wins at 1200M and 1600M, both in fast times. He has raced on pace in both and while this is a big ask, he may be equal to it. (7) CLEAN SHOT remains a maiden after ten attempts but is extremely proficient at this distance with a 2nd and a 4th from his latest two both at this class. He tends to settle midfield or further back and then runs on strong, and he has a real chance here. (1) JEONGSU SIDAE also has plenty of good experience at this class and distance and enters in consistent form with a 4th and two 3rds from his latest three. He draws the inside here and gets a 4kg allowance from his apprentice jockey. (8) STAR EYE returns from six months off and while he didn’t offer many clues in a November trial, has plenty of quality and along with (2) BUCATINI is another to consider for the money.
|Selections||(4) Wonderful Fager (7) Clean Shot (1) Jeongsu Sidae (8) Star Eye|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 8|
Seoul Race 7: Class Open (1400M) Jeju Governor’s Cup (KOR-G3) Allowance / KRW 350 Million
Fillies and mare get to go for a big prize over one-turn. (8) RAON FIRST is the likely and justified favorite here. She is a class 1 winner at this distance and has consistently run quick times. She normally leads in her races but last time out on October 17th she sat midfield and then ran on. She will be very hard to beat here. We’ll take a chance on (3) YEONHUI ILCHUL who should be a big price. It’s her first try among the elite but she has been running great times over 1200M. This is her first try at 1400M, she prefers to race close to the pace and is assisted by a nice draw. (6) CLEAR GEOM has established herself as a solid class 1 campaigner and comes back in trip here. She too draws well; she ran 3rd in the race last year and she should be in the mix again. (16) WISH ME won this race last year as a three-year-old but then had 10 months off before a terrific win when resuming in class 3 company over 1200M on October 10th. She isn’t assisted by todays draw but she warrants some respect. (15) LUISA could be another widely drawn one to go well at odds.
|Selections||(8) Raon First (3) Yeonhui Ilchul (6) Clear Geom (16) Wish Me|
|Next Best||15, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 10, 16|
Busan Race 7: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(10) DOMINATION is the banker favourite of the day. He has won six out of seven so far and is a perfect three for three since returning from seven months out in October. He is up in class and significantly back in trip from his latest win over 1800M, but he carries next to nothing and despite the wide draw, should be seeing this lot off. (7) AKER’S DREAM comes back in trip to the 1200M, a distance at which he has registered some excellent times and he would appear the most credible danger to the favourite. (5) SONIC KING IJI is consistent and enters off a very good 4th in a hard race over 1400M a month ago. He draws well here and should be in the mix. (3) QUEEN OF THE WORLD is up in class and down in weight following a good victory over 1400M when she sat handy and ran on strong. She along with (6) TOP DAY are other placing chances.
|Selections||(10) Domination (7) Aker’s Dream (5) Sonic King Iji (3) Queen Of The World|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 10, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (2000M) Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup (KOR G3) Allowance / KRW 350 Million
The final leg of the filly Triple Crown. (1) RAON PINK blitzed the field over a mile in the Luna Stakes before putting in a super run when 2nd in the Oaks when badly away then settling wide and racing a keenly. She made up ground to be on terms at the 300M but perhaps felt the extent of her efforts at the finish. She draws well here and if she has anything even approaching normal luck this time, can win. (3) SERVE ACE put in an almighty run to be 3rd in the Oaks Her jockey all but fell when exiting the gates in the Oaks and she was then a long last but saved ground all the way and re-established contact with the field on the home turn. She stayed on the rails getting stronger and stronger as the race progressed. If she can repeat that effort with a clean getaway then she should be right in this. (6) CHOEGANG BLACK put in a great run to win the Oaks under a masterful ride when settling handy and proving too strong in the straight. The additional distance should be no problem and she has a real chance too. (4) EODIGANA was a handy 5th in the Oaks after a slight stumble at the start then settling midfield. The extra distance may be in her favour. (7) QUEENS TOUR another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(1) Raon Pink (3) Serve Ace (6) Choegang Black (4) Eodigana|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 6|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(2) VIKING STORM picks himself here having won his latest three in fine style but this isn’t an easy race. He likes to race forward and while up in weight, the draw is good, and he will be favourite. (4) MIGHTY WHO bolted in by four-lengths over 1700M at class 4 level on November 14th. He comes up in class and slightly up in trip here but there is little to suggest that he won’t be competitive in this company. (8) BAEKSAEK GWANGCHAE is in top form having won his last three including his latest which was at class and distance. He comes up in weight today but must be considered. Also up in weight following a last start class and distance win is (12) BOLT MAN, who sat midfield before running on well in a good time. He has consistently raced well at this distance and despite the outside gate, should be in the frame again. (5) CHUNSAN, who returns from five months out, could be an interesting outsider at a decent price.
|Selections||(2) Viking Storm (4) Mighty Who (8) Baeksaek Gwangchae (12) Bolt Man|
|Next Best||5, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) QUICKSILVER KITTEN will be favourite here having yet to run a bad race in six outings. Last time out he ran a good 3rd place at this class over 1200M, drifting back in the field before powering home and the additional furlong should suit today. (3) MIGHTY KICK’s latest start was better than it appeared as he was inconvenienced at the start and then ridden hard to catch up. He may well have benefitted from that experience and while he won’t be among the favourites, might be worth an each-way go. (10) LUCKY YOUNG is still on the improve as well. He has only raced twice but showed more in his second start when 5th behind Quicksilver Kitten. He won’t need to improve too much to be in the mix here. The returning (12) MYEONGJIN DAY and (13) DOLGYEOK APEURO are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(2) Quicksilver Kitten (3) Mighty Kick (10) Lucky Young (12) Myeongjin Day|
|Next Best||13, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 7|