The 2021 Triple Crown reaches its long-delayed conclusion on Sunday at Seoul Racecourse as KRA Cup Mile winner Heat Yegam and Korean Derby champion Winner’s Man face off in the “Minister’s” Cup. The big race has only attracted eight runners but should be a fascinating affair nonetheless and is race 8 on the 10-race card at Seoul which runs from 10:45 to 18:00. There are also 7 races at Busan from 11:10 to 16:40. All betting locations within Korea are open but attendance must be pre-booked using the MyCard app and proof of vaccination against Covid-19 is required. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile filly maidens here with two of the twelve racing for the first time. The one to beat is set to be (4) RAON THE ARIA, who has raced twice for 4th and 2nd, both at 1000M and both in fast times, coming from just off the pace. She can go one better today. The main danger is one of the two debut-makers. (1) SAENAE FOREST went through two trials and vastly improved in the second of them, sitting just behind the leader throughout and then running on to cross the lone in front on a fast time on an admittedly wet track. From the inside gate she can sit handy or lead here and if she brings that form to the races, should go well. (5) COSMO won a September trial before running a solid 5th on debut in a fast time at this distance, settling back and running on. He should have come on for that and can be competitive again. (7) DAPHNE and (8) P N S CHANCE others to consider for the places.
|Selections||(4) Raon The Aria (1) Saenae Forest (5) Cosmo (7) Daphne|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 7|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(12) KING SATURDAY trialed up nicely at the end of October before impressive on debut when 3rd at 1000M on November 7th, starting a touch slowly but quickly ridden up to be handy and then running on. He comes up in trip here and despite the wide draw has every chance of making his breakthrough. (3) CHOEGANG FORCE ran 4th in that same race, improving on his debut 6th. He has run on both times and may appreciate the additional furlong here. (1) DAEHO JEONSEOL didn’t do too much wrong when 5th on debut in October. He had an apprentice on that day so he does come up in weight, but he draws well and should be in the mix. (7) RAON THE GUTSEN also comes up in weight from a good 4th on debut over 1000M, but he too should be competitive here. (10) WISE BOY among others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(12) King Saturday (3) Choegang Force (1) Daeho Jeonseol (7) Raon The Gutsen|
|Next Best||10, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 10|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(2) BE CRAZY is likely to be a warm favourite. After winning an October trial, he led on debut over 1200M on November 14th before ultimately finishing 4th. He draws well to lead again, and this time shouldn’t be caught. (10) ROAD ACE should be on pace too. He ran well in his first three outings over 1000M but was never able to get a foothold in the race on his fourth start over 1300M last month. The draw isn’t great but if he can get away well, he can go close. (1) CUPID WONDER has mixed her form over nine prior appearances but overcame a wide draw last time out to run a good 4th at this distance and she should be involved again. (4) SHINE MUSIC has the fastest time among any of these at the distance and comes back in trip after a spin over 1700M last time out that was better than her 8th place finish suggests. Along with (8) B J FLASH, she should be in the hunt for some minor money.
|Selections||(2) Be Crazy (10) Road Ace (1) Cupid Wonder (4) Shine Music|
|Next Best||8, 14|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8, 10|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
With a 4th, a 3rd and a 2nd from three starts so far, it’s time for (2) STELL LUNA to go one better and register her maiden win in this all-filly affair. She is up to this trip for the first time, but she has run on well in her races so far and from a great draw it’s hard to look past here. (8) FANTASTIC LOVE tackles further than 1000M for the first time. He is yet to finish any worse than 4th and there is no reason why he can’t handle the additional trip. (7) HAVANA JANE come sin having registered her best finish so far when 2nd over 1300M on November 12th. That day’s winner has gone on to win again and Havana Jane should be aiming for at least a place here. (1) WILD ADELE was 6th behind Havana Jane last time but draws better here and should be competing to get on the early speed. (4) DARI TTEUNI is the only one in the field who has won a race before and enters the calculations on that alone.
|Selections||(2) Stell Luna (8) Fantastic Love (7) Havana Jane (1) Wilde Adele|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 8|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(6) DOUBLE TAKE is yet to win in eight attempts but enters with two 3rds and a 4th from her latest three including her last start 3rd on November 7th when she came from well off the pace to swoop home. Munro stays aboard, she carries the same weight and has the same gate and this time she looks the one to beat. (4) BARAMGWA HAMKKE was ridden more forward than in previous starts at his latest outing on November 13th and ended up a significantly improved 2nd. He draws much better this time and can maintain his momentum here. (1) VIENTO led for much of the way around at class and distance at her latest start, ultimately giving way and ending up a good 3rd. She has mixed her form over her six appearances but looks nicely in here on the inside to be on pace again and go close. (13) CHEONGSAN YEONGUNG and (11) TAEYANGTAGO among others to take into consideration.
|Selections||(6) Double Take (4) Baramgwa Hamkke (1) Viento (13) Cheongsan Yeongung|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 10, 14|
Busan Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Tricky race. We’ll give another chance to (5) HORAENGI, who has only missed the top five on two of ten occasions so far. She drops back in trip having posted consistent, if admittedly unspectacular, times at 1400M in her most recent starts and she looks to have as good a chance as any here. (1) SUSO POWER is set to be the favourite. She races for the first time since June but went through two trials in November posting good times in both. She draws nicely on the inside and has very chance. (6) JEONSEOLUI PARTY was a much-improved 2nd on her latest outing over 1200M on November 7th. She was found to have bled that day and has since been back to trial which she came through unscathed and can go well again. (7) SEUNGRIUI BULGIL and (4) STATICE others with minor money claims.
|Selections||(5) Horaengi (1) Suso Power (6) Jeonseolui Party (7) Seungriui Bulgil|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies only here. (4) PURPLE K will be hot favourite. She was a super all the way winner over 1000M at class 6 level on October 10th before running a very solid 5th in a hot Nonghyup Chairman’s Cup at the end of that month. She could have probably taken her chance in the Korean Breeders’ Cup at Busan last week but goes here instead and really should be winning. (7) COMPLETE STAR has placed in her last three starts, all at this class and the most recent two at this distance. Last time out she posted a fast time in 2nd behind a decent winner and should sit handy again here and can push the favourite close. (11) BLACK SILVER doesn’t draw as well as she did when 3rd at her latest start but still has claims to be involved at the business end again. (1) WOL YEONG I and (9) HANGANG MAGIC are others in the frame.
|Selections||(4) Purple K (7) Complete Star (11) Black Silver (1) Wol Yeong I|
|Next Best||9, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
It’s hard to look past (10) DAEJI CHOICE here. He had been working up to his last start win, which came at class and distance on November 14th when he was quickly in front and won by a long way. He had the same wide gate that he has today and the same weight and should win again. (5) SUSO ENGINE made her breakthrough at start number two on November 7th, making all over this distance to win in a decent enough time. She comes up in class here but draws nicely again and she’ll be expected to challenge for the lead and be in this a long way again. (1) BEST HAMSEONG also comes up in class following a win at this distance three weeks ago. She draws well, carries a light weight and is another who should be on pace from the start. (9) MENI GLORY and (8) GOLD LUCK are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(10) Daeji Choice (5) Suso Engine (1) Best Hamseong (9) Meni Glory|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(7) SECRET BOSS has won his latest two stars at class 5 over 1400M and then at this level and this distance. He has proven capable of winning from the front or from off the pace and while he comes up plenty in the weights, he can make it three in a row here. The logical second choice is (9) MUNHAK FIRE. A class and distance winner in a fast time in June, he comes in here having run 3rd in each of his latest three outings, beating a number of these in the process. He likes to be on pace so may need a little early luck in running but he should go close. (1) RACE ROYAL looked on her way to victory over 1400M at her latest outing before getting swamped in the closing stages. She’s yet to win but is yet to finish any worse than 5th and seemed to have sorted out her slow starting issues last time. She has placing chances again. (10) MUNHAK STORM and (6) ROCK LINE others to watch out for.
|Selections||(7) Secret Boss (9) Munhak Fire (1) Race Royal (10) Munhak Storm|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||6, 9, 11, 12|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) PURE KING comes up in class but significantly down in weight and is worth thought based on his 1400M form including his latest start when 2nd to the promising Mongttang. He can sit handy early here and looks the one to beat. (6) ACE DAY was a good class and distance winner two starts back when leading all the way. He comes out in trip today but does have a 2nd place at this distance on his record. He likes to lead in his races and if he can get into a rhythm, he can be in the finish. (9) INFINITY POWER is another up in class following a 1400M win when racing forward. He drops in weight here and though he draws a touch wider than ideal, he’ll be in this. Draw a line through the latest effort from (3) HAPPY WOMAN when she was very wide early. This should suit better as from gate three she should be able to get to her preferred handy position without too much trouble. (11) GALAXY ORB the best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Pure King (6) Ace Day (9) Infinity Power (3) Happy Woman|
|Next Best||11, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 8, 11|