For racing to continue at its current level of two days a week, we need the social distancing levels to remain at “1.5” in at least Jeju Island, Daegu and Gwangju (and ideally Cheonan). They are currently at level “2.0” in Seoul and Busan but with no vaccine progress and the virus cases predicted by both local media and government to rise significantly next week, it is possible that in the capital at least there will be further restrictions. This weekend and next weekend should be ok though. Saturday sees 8 races at Seoul from 11:00 to 18:00 and 6 races at Busan from 11:30 to 16:50. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Maiden fillies get things underway for the weekend. (4) GOLDEN CHANCE will probably be favourite off the back of a 4th and a 2nd in two starts so far. She came close to making all in the latter of those, which was at this distance, and is nicely drawn to get to the front early again. (5) LONDON POWER ran well for 3rd on debut over 1000M at the end of February. She was well back behind a good winner but should have come on for the run and can be a danger. (1) DANCING WITH YOU showed promise in her first two outings and while she put in a poor effort in her third, she has subsequently trialed up well and should be a factor. (13) MACH JIJON is another who can have a line drawn through her latest effort. She has the fastest time of any of these for the distance and can go better today. (14) CHOEGANG QUEEN is the solitary debut maker. She didn’t catch the eye in trials but all the others from her dam have been winners and she is worth keeping an eye on.
|Selections||(5) London Power (4) Golden Chance (13) Mach Jijon (1) Dancing With you|
|Next Best||10, 13|
|Fast Start||1, 10, 11, 13|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Just one previous winner in the field and that status is enough to ensure that (8) ACE SOLOMON is well-backed here. Always prominent he ran on to win very comfortably over this distance on March 6th. He carries only slightly more weight today and should be on pace once more with every chance of a repeat. (13) MUJEOK BULPAE registered a pleasing enough 2nd on debut over 1000M on February 27th. He had previously shown good speed in a trial and should have come on for that run to be a big danger here. (5) SEONGSIL SONYEO came from off the pace to run 2nd at this distance a month ago and can aim for the places again. There are three first time starters and a couple of them look to have claims first-up. Both (11) BURNING GUN and (14) CONSTANTINE ran 2nd in their respective trials and while the draw does neither of them any favours, both should acquit themselves well.
|Selections||(8) Ace Solomon (13) Mujeok Bulpae (5) Seongsil Sonyeo (14) Constantine|
|Next Best||11, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 8|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
A maiden that is somewhat on the weak side. The only one of them to have even finished in the top three before is (11) CHAMILHO and that’s enough to make her favourite. Forget her latest effort when the 1400M didn’t suit, she’s back at 1200M today and shouldn’t be bothered by the wide draw. We’re going to side with the solitary debut-maker though. (14) SMART OFFICER came from the middle of the pack to win a trial at the end of March. While she has the worst of the draw, she couldn’t have asked for a softer race to debut in and she won’t need to improve much off that trial to win. (6) DOUBLE TAKE did nothing on debut but previously clocked a good time in a trial so is worth another chance here while (8) AURORA ROAD and (10) VESPER are others who can improve on inauspicious starts.
|Selections||(14) Smart Officer (11) Chamilho (10) Vesper (6) Double Take|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 11, 13|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Competitive race here. (8) THE WIN beat a couple of these when 3rd in a promising enough debut on March 27th. True, he was some way back behind a good winner but ran on pleasingly and the additional furlong could be to his benefit today. (13) JAMAICA POWER was 4th in that race on what was his debut too. He perhaps has a bit more to find but the jockey booking is eye-catching. The main threat though is (10) MIDNIGHT QUEEN. While she was only 7th last time out, she finished ahead of a couple of these in a good time in what was a much stiffer test. She has every chance here. (12) JEMA FORTUNE actually beat Midnight Queen two starts back and for that fact alone, has to come into the equation today. (3) JANGSAN PRIDE and (9) OX BOY are others in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(8) The Win (10) Midnight Queen (9) Ox Boy (3) Jangsan Pride|
|Next Best||12, 13|
|Fast Start||4, 10, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
It’s time that (7) GLOBAL YEONGUNG won a race. The Take Charge Indy colt comes in off the back of near-misses in each of his latest three outings at 1200M and 1400M. He can sit handy here from a good draw and should be too strong in the latter stages. If he does come up short again then another Take Charge Indy, (9) NONSTOP GISANG, may take advantage. He too has started to figure things out in his latest two and can continue his development here. (5) JOEUN SAI ran a useful time when 4th at this distance last start and warrants attention as place hope while (3) ONE JI too come sin off his best finish to date last start and can maintain some momentum here. The wildcard is (2) WONDERFUL K. He ran 2nd and 5th in his first two starts before parting company with his jockey leaving the gate on what was to be his third attempt last month, completing the course himself. He has drawn well here and does seem to have ability.
|Selections||(7) Global Yeongung (2) Wonderful K (9) Nonstop Gisang (3) One Ji|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 12|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(12) RAON THE POWER won his first two in fine style before running 2nd to Top Of Korea on his first try at this class on March 20th. He has drawn wide here but so too have his main rivals – and he is favoured to get back to winning ways today. (11) ACE DAY is half-brother to the excellent Today. He won on debut at this distance and comes in after a strong 2nd place over 1400M to Baby Line when he had to overcome the widest draw to get to the lead. He should be the primary danger. (13) WONDERFUL KING remains a maiden after seven attempts but he has four to-three finishes and beat no fewer than four of his rivals here on his way to 2nd place at class and distance last start. He looks good for at least another place finish today. (5) FINAL PARTY and (4) CHOEGANG CUPID are others in the minor money hunt.
|Selections||(12) Raon The Power (11) Ace Day (13) Wonderful King (4) Choegang Cupid|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 12|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(3) BEOLMAL DAEJANG is the one to beat here. He’s got progressively closer across his three starts to date, culminating in a runner-up finish last start over 1300M. He ran on strong with an extra half-furlong to play with today, can make his breakthrough. (1) SAEMYEONG HAETSAL and (5) WONDERFUL JOY have already found their way into the winner’s circle, both of them in their respective latest starts. The latter’s came at this distance and both can go close again today. (10) CUPID KOREA comes in off a career-best 2nd place last start. He should be on pace here and has claims on a place again. (4) LAST BOSS ran 4th last tine at this distance and comes down 3.5kg in the weights today with an apprentice on board, which should put him into at least the minor money reckoning.
|Selections||(3) Beolmal Daejang (1) Saemyeong Haetsal (5) Wonderful Joy (4) Last Boss|
|Next Best||10, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 10, 14|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 35 Million
Two winning streaks are on the line here. (7) MACH TITAN will be the favourite to keep his intact. He has made all the running in his last three starts, winning all of them well, most recently at class and distance. He gets the better of the draw here and could well lead all the way again. (11) GODDESS MOON has won four in a row. She steps up to the mile for the first time but she is a two-time winner at 1400M, both times leading all the way. She has a 4kg weight advantage over her rival here and can make it count but she will be up against it in terms of their respective draws. As good as the favourites are, it’s not a two-horse race. (1) COPY THAT has only been outside the top-two on one occasion in eight starts so far. He’s won at this level over 1400M and while he started slowly from a wide draw last time out, still rallied for 2nd. He’ll go close again. (2) LEGACY beat plenty of these when 3rd behind the very good pair of Choegang Ssonsal and Jera a month ago and has minor money claims again. (10) TOP FIRE has a fast time at this distance to his name and can’t be ruled out either.
|Selections||(7) Mach Titan (11) Goddess Moon (2) Legacy (1) Copy That|
|Next Best||10, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(11) YAHO GOLDEN CAT enters off a good 2nd place on March 14th at class and distance. That continued a run of consistent form and he looks well-positioned here to return to the winner’s circle, likely looking to lead. Another very consistent type is (3) MYEONGJIN DAY. He is yet to finish any worse than 4th in four attempts and steps back in trip after a solid 4th place over 1700M just two weeks ago. That was a good race and he also has a swift 2nd at this distance to his name. (4) ALCHAN NURI was 7th behind Yaho Golden Cat last start but the time before ran 3rd at class and distance in a good time. He can be considered a place chance here. (5) WANY K and (9) GOLDILOCKS are among several others in the hunt for the minor money in what looks a competitive affair.
|Selections||(11) Yaho Golden Cat (3) Myeongjin Day (9) Goldilocks (4) Alchan Nuri|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 10, 11|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(13) CHOEGANG SSONSAL is likely to be the shortest priced favourite of the day and for good reason. He’s won four of his six starts so far including his last three with the latest being at this class. He has drawn widest gate but he won from gate 12 last time out and while he also steps up to a mile for the first time, he should have far too much. The one with the greatest chance of causing an upset is (8) JEONSEOULUI BOSS. He’s acquitted himself well over the mile in the past and enters off a good 2nd behind Alpha Again over 1400M at the end of February. He is up in class but has little to fear bar the favourite. (11) TRUE VALOR has plenty of experience at this class and is proven competitive and consistent. (1) ROCKHARD FORCE and (3) MISS FACT are others in the hunt for places.
|Selections||(13) Choegang Ssonsal (8) Jeonseolui Boss (11) True Valor (3) Miss Fact|
|Next Best||1, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 11|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(6) MOONHAK SHEBA handed (5) WILDLY ROMANTIC his first defeat when they and three of the others who go here met at class and distance on March 7th. Wildly Romantic was giving away 4kg that day compared to just 2kg this time around and the pair look set to contest the finish again with Wildly Romantic, who was impressive in his first two wins, slightly favoured to overturn the form. Next best is (2) MUNHAK MOON. The Gemologist colt returned from six months off to run a solid class and distance 4th at the end of February and he has good foundation to build upon here. (10) QUICKLY SUN was a good class and distance winner at start number two in January before beating a few of these on his way to 2nd place, again at class and distance on March 14th. Only Wildly Romantic has gone quicker over 1200M and he has placing claims again. There are a couple of first-time starters and while this isn’t exactly the easiest race to debut in, (8) CHOEGANG BLADE was a super-fast trial winner and the Midshipman colt could be the wildcard here.
|Selections||(5) Wildly Romantic (6) Moonhak Sheba (2) Munhak Moon (8) Choegang Blade|
|Next Best||10, 11|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 10, 11|
Busan Race 6: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 35 Million
(1) MR. VALOR was a useful class and distance winner on April 4th, making all on a muddy track. He has the same inside draw today and with just one additional kilo on his back, has every chance of backing up. However, he runs into (4) MY TIZ GEM. She was super winner over a mile on March 13th beating some very useful individuals in the process. She steps up to two-turns for the first time with some very solid claims. (5) MAN OF TOP was only 7th behind My Tiz Gem in that March race but quickly backed up to run a solid 2nd at class and distance two weeks ago. He was only narrowly beaten by Winner’s Man – the current top three-year-old at the track – in a performance that certainly made plenty take note. He remains a maiden but keep him safe in your selections here. Stablemate of Mr. Valor, (11) DUNCAN did nothing in his first three outings but once he got a bit of distance to get stuck into promptly won over a mile. He carries more weight today but should be in the frame. (9) TRIMUPH CAT the best of a competitive rest.
|Selections||(1) Mr. Valor (4) My Tiz Gem (5) Man Of Top (11) Duncan|
|Next Best||9, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
Fillies and mares only here and it’s quite a race. (5) WINNER QUARDRILLE and (11) LUCKY JAESAN both come in having three from four of their previous starts. Winner Quardrille’s most impressive scores so far have been at 1400M but she has won at this distance too and gets a nice 3kg weight advantage today. She has every chance of winning again. Don’t rule out Lucky Jaesan though. She neat four of these when winning at this distance on February 21st and while she does need to overcome the wide draw, should be very competitive again. Fellow three-year-old (9) JEDI has been no worse than 3rd in six starts to date. She ran 3rd in Seoul’s top juvenile race last November and is sure to be a factor. (6) GOOD VOW and (14) RAON DIA, the latter 3rd behind Lucky Jaesan last start, are others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(5) Winner Quardrille (11) Lucky Jaesan (9) Jedi (6) Good Vow|
|Next Best||14, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 11, 12, 14|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(14) MIGHTY CHIP is a winner of two from three so far and steps up in both class and distance too. His running style suggests that two-turns should be to his liking and despite the wide draw, he looks worth taking a chance on again here. It won’t be easy though. (10) MOONHAK EKATI is ultra-consistent having never finished outside the top five in fourteen career outings. That record will surely continue today and with Moon Se Young back in the saddle, he will be finishing strongly and could clean them all up late on. (2) BIG TRIPLE beat five of these when registering a slightly unexpected class and distance win on March 14th. He isn’t punished too much in the weights for that and warrants another chance here although his running style does tend him to get caught up in traffic a bit and he may need a bit of luck again. That day’s runner-up (7) ECHO BILL will perhaps be favoured to overturn the form. (13) SHU LEUB was 3rd in that race and is another consistent, if unspectacular, performer.
|Selections||(14) Mighty Chip (10) Moonhak Ekati (7) Echo Bill (2) Big Triple|
|Next Best||13, 12|
|Fast Start||7, 13, 11, 14|