Blue Chipper was 5th on his return to racing after more than a year out. The 2019 Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile 3rd place-getter is in action again at Busan on Sunday tackling 1400M in the feature race on the south coast. There are 6 races at Busan from 12:05 to 17:00 and 10 at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00. Both meetings will be held behind closed doors. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(9) MORNING HILL was an impressive winner first up on February 28th making all in a fast time. He stretches out to 1200M today but if he has come on at all from that performance, he will take some beating here. The main danger is set to be a first-time starter. (4) YES I CAN trialed well, running on strong for 2nd place in his heat in a competitive time. The 1200M should suit and he can go well. (11) BORAQUEEN has fair form over her three outings to date. She led last time before battling on for 5th and is likely to improve off that run. (10) MODERN GOLD drifted well back in the field on his first start but got himself together to come home quite well and could sneak into a place. (2) YEONGWANUI HAENGJIN hasn’t pulled up many trees in two starts so far but previously showed some speed in a trial and the engagement of a top jockey today suggests improvement is expected.
|Selections||(9) Morning Hill (4) Yes I Can (11) Boraqueen (10) Modern Gold|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
There’s not a whole lot of exposed form here so (7) TEUKGWON might be the one to go for. He’s only raced twice and was a good 4th on debut before being on pace on his first attempt at 1200M back in January and battling on for 5th. He’s had a couple of months off since and should be right in the thick of things today. (3) SINUI ADEUL was in a handy position on his latest start before being hampered and losing ground. Disregard that and instead go on his two 4th places prior to that and he comes into contention. Also in contention is (4) THUNDER K. He has hinted at some ability and races for the first time since November having trialed well. The apprentice claim and the good draw put him in the calculations. (8) ROSEDAY MARINE is also in the hunt as is solitary debut-maker (9) BEOWULF.
|Selections||(7) Teukgwon (3) Sinui Adeul (4) Thunder K (8) Roseday Marine|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies only here and there are two previous winners among them. (9) YULONG STAR was a good winner two starts back at 1200M before running a good 4th last start when worked hard to get on the pace before battling on gamely. An apprentice claim takes 3kg off his back and puts him right in the mix. (8) JOYFUL K came home 5th in the same race having been quite wide before making good ground late. She won at 1200M last November and is at least worthy of a place line today. The one they both need to beat is (2) SARYEONI QUEEN. She recorded a 3rd and a 2nd in two starts last summer and while she hasn’t raced since August, she trialed adequately enough in February and has every chance first-up from a great draw to lead. (3) MISS ELITE and (7) NONGBON RAK are others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(2) Saryeoni Queen (9) Yulong Star (8) Joyful K (3) Miss Elite|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 8, 9|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies get the Busan card underway and there’s going to be a warm favourite. (3) FLAT BABE came close to making all on debut over 1400M back in January, just getting overhauled in the closing stages by Looking Cat. Back in trip today but well drawn and with Perovic remaining aboard, she looks hard to beat. Draw a line through the latest effort of (4) HAEUNDAE BADA. She’s been back to trial since and her previous efforts suggest she should be aiming to place here. Similarly, (6) CHONGMA HWANGHU and (7) ENOUGH both hinted at ability on debut to the extent that we can overlook their respective latest showings and give them another chance here. There are five first-time starters and (1) MAGIC HILL and (11) AREUMDAUN GAMDONG both looked competent enough in trials.
|Selections||(3) Flat Babe (4) Haeundae Bada (1) Magic Hill (6) Cheonhma Hwanghu|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 14|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(1) ULTRA KING come sin off a good 3rd place at start number four when after showing good speed, he led a similar field for a time and fought on well. From the inside gate he should get an easier run today and is the one to beat. (3) BRAVO MAY came home in 4th place in that races continuing his record of always being there or thereabouts. That should be maintained today although once more he is likely to find one or two too quick. (4) CURRERECUS has the form to be in the finish. He beat three of these on his way to 2nd place in a good time over 1400M last start and with a good draw today, he is worth considering. (6) OFFICER COMMANDING was 5th but close to the winner last start in a good time at the distance. She also has a 2nd over 1300M and is firmly in today’s frame. (8) ROYAL YEONGGWANG the best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) Ultra King (4) Currerecus (3) Bravo May (6) Officer Commanding|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8, 10|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(11) WILD BLUE is the one to beat here. He has two 2nd place finishes and a 4th from his three outings so far, running on strong in each. He steps up slightly in trip which should be to his benefit and if Perovic can find a handy spot for him, he should be too strong. (14) GREAT GO remains winless but has been consistent across her eight outings to date. She led for much of the way around last start before running 2nd over 1400M and while the widest gate isn’t ideal, she can overcome it to go close. (5) PICTURE JASPER ran a good 3rd on debut, running on strong over 1000M and looks poised to build on that today. (9) FIRST WIND is the only prior winner in the field and while his latest two have been a touch disappointing, he shouldn’t be overlooked. (13) KING BID another in the hunt.
|Selections||(11) Wild Blue (5) Picture Jasper (14) Great Go (9) First Wind|
|Next Best||13, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 9, 11, 13|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(1) CATCH CHARM is a winner of two from two so far and is yet to see the rear of another horse at any time in her racing career. She is up in class here but she has won at this distance already and the inside barrier and Moon Se Young up again make her hard to beat. (2) STAR WARS is similarly up in class here, in his case following a win and two runner-up finishes. He comes down in the weights as well which should help his placing claims. Also with significant claims, at least on a place is (7) SEO E BEONJJEOK. He has won at this distance and was a close 2nd last start when handy but wide. She’s not been worse than 5th in her four outings and she should at least maintain that record. (4) GIVEN RUNNER and (9) SUN OF STORM are others with solid placing claims.
|Selections||(1) Catch Charm (2) Star Wars (7) Seo E Beonjjeok (9) Sun Of Storm|
|Next Best||4, 13|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 12, 14|
Busan Race 3: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(9) DUMUSAN was a last start winner, breaking through at start number five. His form prior to that had only been fair but fair is enough to go on top in this modest contest. He’s generally slow away but has a nice turn of foot and so long as he doesn’t give them too much of a head start, should have too much. (11) WONDERFUL SECRET ran 4th behind Dumusan last start, sticking to task well. He’ll try to get to the front here and should still be around at the business end of the race. (7) CHEONGDAM DRIVE has a couple of 3rd place finishes to his name and that’s enough to put him in the placing frame again today with the likes of (5) DIVINE QUEEN and (6) BABEL STAR also capable of picking up a minor cheque.(more…)