Saturday’s racing is at Busan with 10 races from 13:30 to 18:00. The Jeju and Busan Racecourses will be open to customers at 20% of indoor seating capacity as will the Off Track Betting centres in Busan (both of them), Daegu, Changwon, Daejeon, Gwangju and Cheonan. Seoul Racecourse and all off-track locations in Seoul and Gyeonggi Province will remain closed. Here are the previews for Busan:
Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Competitive maiden to begin with. (11) HAENAM HAMMER finished a reasonable 5th of fourteen on her only start to date last October. She hasn’t raced since but looked well when trialing up two weeks ago and returns as one of a number of strong hopes here. The draw isn’t ideal as she will want to lead but she has a top jockey aboard and a real chance. (2) ACE GUY was less noteworthy on debut, failing to run on over 1000M all the way back last July. He looked a completely different prospect when finishing 2nd on a fast February trial and should be much better today. Coming out of the same trial as Haenam Hammer is (9) REAL CHARM, who makes his racing debut here. The Cowboy Cal colt ran on well in the heat and should go well first up. (5) DOCTOR FAITH has hinted at ability over two starts so far including a 3rd place on debut and should go close here while (7) BUSAN ACE is inconsistent but has proven capable of running a time and may figure.
|Selections||(11) Haenam Hammer (9) Real Charm (2) Ace Guy (5) Doctor Faith|
|Next Best||7, 3, 10|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 14|
Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
There are two previous winners in this field and both have credible claims to score again. (14) ACE DAY struck on debut with a comprehensive all the way win over 1200M. He followed up with a 2nd place at the same distance before running 4th over a mile. The draw may be an issue but the trip should suit and he has a chance. (2) BABY LINE broke through at start number four over 1200M in December. He stepped up to this trip on January 22nd and ran a useful enough 5th. He is drawn well and can lead here. Four of today’s runners went in that January 22nd race. The best finisher that day was (9) MIDNIGHT QUEEN, who came 3rd, overturning the form on Baby Line who had beaten her the start before. She is yet to win in four attempts but has never been worse than 4th and today could be her day. That also applies to (6) ECHO RUSH. After running 7th on debut, he’s followed up with back to back runner-up finishes beating three of these in the process and is set to be a big factor here.
|Selections||(9) Midnight Queen (6) Echo Rush (14) Ace Day (2) Baby Line|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 10, 14|
Race 3: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(7) JEMA FORTUNE stepped up to 1400M on January 22nd and came from well back to record his best finish to date, running a fast-finishing 2nd and beating three of his rivals here. He steps up to the mile for the first time and looks to have fair claims to make his breakthrough. (11) GEUMA GOOD POINT ran 4th in the same race. He’s been consistent across seven starts to date and while he will probably find one or two too quick again today. (2) YEONGGWANGUIRUNNER is another who has been consistent. He didn’t overly impress on a previous try at this distance but has mixed it in better company than this and should be there or thereabouts today. (3) TOP ADELE showed improvement when 4th on his second career start. He is likely to be on pace from the start and can stay on at the business end of the race. (13) DAMYANG JEWANG is another with a fast start and while the draw isn’t the best, also looks to have good claims here.
|Selections||(7) Jema Fortune (2) Yeonggwanguirunner (11) Geuma Good Point (13) Damyang Jewang|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 8, 11, 13|
Race 4: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
(6) GALAXY ROAD took a couple of goes to figure things out but then won his next two in fie order, the latter at this distance. He is up in class finally today but that shouldn’t be too much of a problem and he looks the one to beat. (3) STAR EYE also steps up in class following a maiden win at start number five over 1400M three weeks ago. The distance may suit and the Violence filly can be competitive again. (12) GOLDEN KAISER completes the trio of last start winners and steps up after a front-running score over 1400M. He will look to be on pace again here. The main danger to all of them is (11) PINEUI KKUM. After nine blanks he broke through at the tenth time of asking and evidently enjoyed it as he followed up immediately with another win. He then beat four of these on his way to 2nd place at this class and distance on January 22nd and has solid claims here. As for the rest, (4) SEUNGNI TOUT remains a maiden but has three-runner-up finishes from six attempts to date including at this class and has at least placing claims again.
|Selections||(6) Galaxy Road (11) Pineui Kkum (3) Star Eye (4) Seungni Tout|
|Next Best||12, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 11, 12|
Race 5: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 42 Million
Do we put (6) TOP MATE on top again? The Purge colt has raced six times now and remains winless but has finished as runner-up on all but one of those occasions. He went down a beaten favourite two weeks ago at class and distance but once again looks the class horse here. We may regret it but we’ll give him another chance. If he finishes 2nd yet again there are plenty capable of taking advantage. (2) MAGIC PARTNER returns to action for the first time since running out a fine winner over 1400M in November – beating Top Mate into 2nd. He trialed up impressively at the end of February and surely goes close. (3) BURNING STAR is already a winner at this distance, registering the fastest time of any of these in the process. That was over a year ago but after a lengthy lay-off his second-up performance in January was encouraging and he will be competitive here. So too (11) TOP FIRE and (12) ULTRA PHOENIX are others who should go close.
|Selections||(6) Top Mate (2) Magic Partner (3) Burning Star (12) Ultra Phoenix|
|Next Best||11, 7|
|Fast Start||10, 11, 13, 14|
Race 6: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(9) JERA comes in three for three and is up in class after a good win over this distance in January. This is his toughest assignment to date and also his widest gate but he should be able to overcome both those things and maintain his unbeaten record. (3) CHOEGANG SSONSAL is another promising talent. He was well beaten by Jera two starts back but joins him up in class after registering his second win on January 29th. There looks to be more to come ad he will be a danger running on strong. (1) NAMDO QUEEN is a winner of two from three so far and is another up in class here with loads of potential. (5) QUEEN UP too was a solid winner over 1200M last start and is up in class. She’s run 2nd over a mile before so should have no issue with the trip and has placing claims. It’s her first try at the distance but her running style should suit and she’ll go close. As for those with experience of this level, (4) LEGACY ran a good class and distance 2nd in December and comes in here having trialed well just last weekend.
|Selections||(9) Jera (3) Choegang Ssonsal (5) Queen Up (1) Namdo Queen|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 9, 13|
Race 7: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
(6) MIRACLE SON comes in looking for his third consecutive victory. The previous two have both been at this distance and he steps up in class today He is probably going to need to go a bit faster than he has to date but he has every chance of making it three in a row. Draw a line through the latest two performances of (1) HANEUL ULLIM. He is back to a more suitable distance today and looked very well winning a trial just last week – he was so impressive that the only danger is him potentially having left his race there. (8) B.K. LOOKS beat four of these when 2nd with a front-running effort on January 22nd. He followed up with a solid 4th place two weeks ago and looks a good placing chance today. (2) CHOEGANG CUPID and (7) GOBLIN were both behind B.K. Looks in that January race and can get closer today.
|Selections||(6) Miracle Son (1) Haneul Ullim (8) B.K. Looks (2) Choegang Cupid|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 8, 11|
Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (6) MY QUEEN completed a hat-trick of victories by beating five of these on her way to a good win at class and distance on January 22nd. She’ll be on or close to the pace once more and should really be making it five from eight today. (7) HANBIT YEONGGWANG was runner-up in that race and is developing a bit of a case of “second-itis”, having finished in that position on four of eight occasions but remaining winless. The Orb filly should be in the mix once more and can push the favourite. So too can (10) YEONGGWANGUI TIME, who was 3rd in that January race. She is a class and distance winner already and can be a danger again. (4) UNBONGSAN is very consistent and will challenge My Queen for the early speed. She comes in after back to back runner-up finishes, both at class and distance and is a danger. (5) ILNYEOM TONGCHEON went badly behind My Queen last start but has talent and is worth another chance at an each-way price here.
|Selections||(6) My Queen (7) Hanbit Yeonggwang (4) Unbongsan (10) Yeonggwangui Time|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 11|
Race 9: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(7) DOCTOR CARSON ran a strong 2nd on his first try at this class on February 20th. He drops back to his favoured 1200M today and with Perovic on board looks to be the one to beat. The draw hasn’t done (14) STAR OREUM any favours but he doesn’t need to lead and the winner of seven from fourteen has the fastest time of any of these at the distance. (10) FANTASTIC ROAD has returned from ten months off in fine form. He has a win and a runner-up finish in two attempts since coming back, both of them at class and distance and both times finishing ahead of some of today’s rivals. He carries a very light weight and is surely going to be a big danger. (5) THUNDER KING drops significantly down in trip following some excellent performances around two-turns. He is a front-runner and could be very interesting here. (1) ROYAL SOLDIER weakened badly first-up in January and went back to trial. He looked well when winning the heat last Sunday and he has loads of ability. He is the wildcard here.
|Selections||(7) Doctor Carson (14) Star Oreum (10) Fantastic Road (5) Thunder King|
|Next Best||1, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 10|
Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
(8) AFLEET YOUNG looks the one to beat in the last. A two-time class 4 winner over 1400M, he stepped up to this class and distance on February 20th and beat three of today’s rivals on his way to a good 2nd place behind Top Sky. He carries a couple of extra kilos here but can overcome it. (2) GEUMA KAIROS was in super form last summer but hasn’t quite been able to replicate it since resuming in December up at this class. He showed that he is potentially coming to grips with this level with a 3rd place behind the excellent pair of Golden Winner and Winner’s Man two weeks ago and can continue to make progress here. Those two look the standouts but any number of the rest have placing claims. (6) MALIBU BYEOL and (9) RAPID GAME look the most likely though.
|Selections||(8) Afleet Young (2) Geuma Kairos (6) Malibu Byeol (9) Rapid Game|
|Next Best||1, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3|