Sunday’s racing is at Seoul with 15 races from 10:45 to 18:00. The Jeju and Busan Racecourses will be open to customers at 20% of indoor seating capacity as will the Off Track Betting centres in Busan (both of them), Daegu, Changwon, Daejeon, Gwangju and Cheonan. Seoul Racecourse and all off-track locations in Seoul and Gyeonggi Province will remain closed. Here are the previews for Seoul including the long awaited return of Mark Story in race 13:
Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Wildly competitive opener. (5) GEUMSEONG SEGYE will probably start favourite based on his second-up performance on January 22nd when he beat three of these on his way to 2nd place over 1000M. It was a big improvement from his first run and he went on speed too, which is what he is likely to do here as well, from a good draw. (14) JILJU BORN was 4th in that race on what was his racecourse debut. He ran through the line pleasingly enough and the step up in trip may suit regardless of the wide gate. (8) DREAM KNOCK too did nothing too wrong on debut running 5th over 1000M beating a couple of today’s rivals. She too ran on well and could improve for the additional trip. Those three look to be the main contenders but don’t rule out progress from the likes of (7) ILHYANG DALMA or (11) GLOBAL STORM either.
|Selections||(8) Dream Knock (5) Geumseong Segye (14) Jilju Born (11) Global Storm|
|Next Best||7, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(4) CHEONBISEONG broke through at start number two on January 22nd, leading pretty much from gate to wire over 1000M. He didn’t go especially well at this trip on debut but looks ready for another crack at it and has strong claims on a repeat win here. (8) NAMSAN SIDAE, out of an Oaks winner, was an encouraging 3rd on her debut in January. She ran on well over 1200M and looks well equipped for today’s task. So too does (1) TIZ BLACK. He raced twice in the first half of 2020, registering a 2nd and a 4th. He’s not been seen since last May but led all the way to win a quick trial on a wet track just last week. He looks nicely in first-up today. (11) MEOTJIN GUY showed progress on his second outing in January and can build on it today. There are three first-time starters and among them (10) GRACE LEE looks best equipped to make an immediate impact.
|Selections||(8) Namsan Sidae (4) Cheonbiseong (1) Tiz Black (10) Grace Lee|
|Next Best||11, 14|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 12|
Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Filly maiden here with none of the fourteen having even a top-four finish to their name. (9) SEMYEONG HAETSAL beat a couple of these on debut when running 5th in a very similar race. Accordingly, she has the fastest time of any at the distance and could well start as favourite. (2) HIVE ran 6th on her debut back in January over 1000M. She will be expected to have come on for that run and to be in contention here. (5) JAY EAGLE came home behind Semyeong Haetsal on what was her second start but did improve from her debut and may continue to make progress today. Of the others with experience, (4) SILVER HAMPTON looks the most likely to improve. There are three debut-makers and given the weakness of the race it is worth taking a look at them. Specifically, (13) VESPER, who ran 3rd in her trial in a reasonable time, running through the line strong.
|Selections||(2) Hive (9) Semyeong Haetsal (13) Vesper (4) Silver Hampton|
|Next Best||14, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 10, 14|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fourteen maidens here. (10) BEOLMAL DAEJANG looks the standout having raced twice for a 4th and a 3rd but also having put in a fast time last start at this distance. He can sit just off the pace and prove too strong late on. He’s not the only one to have shown promise though. (14) SKY FUTURE has a 2nd and a 3rd from his two starts so far. He’s come from off the pace on both occasions so the wide draw shouldn’t trouble him too much and he can be a danger today. So too can (9) DREAM LUCKY. He steps up slightly in distance following a much-improved 2nd over 1200M on his latest outing and looks to have more development in him here. Plenty of others in at least the placing frame as well with perhaps (1) SPEED GUY and (5) WONDERFUL K the most likely.
|Selections||(10) Beolmal Daejang (14) Sky Future (1) Speed Guy (9) Dream Lucky|
|Next Best||5, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 10, 13|
Race 5: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies (and two mares) only here. There is just one previous winner in the field and that status is probably enough to make (2) SOARA BABA the favourite here. Her win came over 1200M three starts back in October but on her latest outing she stepped up to this distance and ran 4th, beating a couple of her rivals here and registering a good time. A similar performance today can see her win. The main danger looks to be (11) BAEKRANG. She steps up to the distance for the first time after a pair of 3rds and a 4th at 1200M. Moon Se Young takes the mount for the first time and regardless of the draw, she is likely to be on pace. (3) AMAZING QUEEN has the second fastest time at the distance and comes in off the back of good 2nd and 3rd place finishes in her latest two. She will be close again. (9) GOLD SPIKE and (13) GOLDEN BADGE are others in the hunt for the places.
|Selections||(11) Baekrang (2) Sorara Baba (3) Amazing Queen (9) Gold Spike|
|Next Best||13, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 11|
Race 6: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Another maiden and (5) GO WELL looks best placed to break through. He’s closed strongly in all of his five outings to date and has a 2nd place to his name at this distance, a race in which he also recorded the fastest time of any of these for 1400M. He’ll go back again here and while that means he may need to ride his luck a little late on, he can win. (13) ALPHA DOK didn’t go especially well on his first try at the distance at start number two. He has come on since then though and races for the first time since running 3rd over 1200M in December and should be in the hunt here. Another danger is (9) RAON BEAT. Like Go Well he has been a deep closer in all three starts so far and comes having run 4th at 1300M last start. The extra half furlong may suit today. (11) VEGA KING and (12) GHOST VILLAGE look best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Go Well (9) Raon Beat (13) Alpha Dok (12) Ghost Village|
|Next Best||11, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 12, 13|
Race 7: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
(7) SUPER CHAMPION has never finished worse than 3rd in four starts so far. He ran a good 3rd over 1700M on his latest outing running on strong from the back and the time before he ran 2nd to Heungbaragi over 1200M in what was Seoul’s top juvenile race of last season. He splits the difference in terms of distance today and he should win. (11) FIGHTING DADDY finally has to come up in class following consecutive class 6 wins. He is up in distance as well and while his times have been nothing to write home about, he can be a danger here. (10) ANYANG HORANGI is up in class having won over the distance back in January. It was a fast time and while it was assisted by a wet track, expect her to be on pace again and to stick on for the business end. (3) YAHO GOLDEN CAT beat three of these on his way to 3rd place at class and distance on January 22nd and will warrant respect here. (9) KING KANMOREU can be a touch inconsistent but goes well on his day.
|Selections||(7) Super Champion (11) Fighting Daddy (10) Anyang Horangi (3) Yaho Golden Cat|
|Next Best||9, 14|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 10, 12|
Race 8: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(9) MIGHTY CHIP comes in having won at this class over 1200M in January. That was just his second start and came a full six months after his first. While he does carry an additional 3.5kg today and steps up in trip for the first time, he looks the one to beat again. (3) ECHO VICTOR saw a run of three consecutive victories between August and November last year halted in January when he ran 6th at this distance. A front-runner, he is capable of very good times and he has chances here. So too does (2) DADDY KHOZAN. He’s yet to win in six attempts but has some good performances, not least a smart 2nd to the very promising Black Musk last start in a super time for the class. He goes close again. The Jockey and trainer combination catches the eye with (14) SPEEDY ROOKIE, who races for the first time since December, while (6) TAURUS is another with placing claims.
|Selections||(9) Mighty Chip (3) Echo Victor (2) Daddy Khozan (14) Speedy Rookie|
|Next Best||6, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 12, 13|
Race 9: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
The top two here are going to both need to be forgiven their respective latest outings. Neither (1) MENI CHAMP not (6) MUDO were factors at all in races over 1200M for Meni Champ and 1800M for Mudo back in January. Both are much better than that and back at 1400M today, we are going for Mudo to just edge out Meni Champ. Not that much comes in with better form. The only runner in the race to have a top five finish on their latest appearance is (9) SOMETHING NOBODYNO. He was a class 4 winner over 1700M on January 22nd and while his latest two efforts at today’s distance didn’t go well, he should be competitive. (2) BRANDON and (5) RAISING ANGEL are among a number of others with placing claims.
|Selections||(6) Mudo (1) Meni Champ (9) Something Nobodyno (2) Brandon|
|Next Best||5, 8|
|Fast Start||5, 9, 11, 12|
Race 10: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
(1) S TAKE is an on-pace galloper with an ideal draw today. She’s been wide the last two times which has cost her on both occasions but with an early lead almost assured today, she looks hard to beat. It should be remembered though that (5) WONDERFUL HEART did beat her last time on the way to victory over 1300M on January 22nd with a few of the others here behind them. She’ll be close again but S Take is the pick to overturn the form. (9) SPOTLIGHT is up in class following back to back wins at 1200M and 1400M with front-running performances both times. This is harder but the Take Charge Indy colt looks a talent and he has claims again. The one they all need to beat is (12) TK BOY. He has never finished any worse than 3rd in five starts to date and has beaten plenty of these along the way and should go close once more.
|Selections||(1) S Take (12) TK Boy (9) Spotlight (5) Wonderful Heart|
|Next Best||14, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 10|
Race 11: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(1) RAON DIA is an on-pace type who was a good last start winner over this distance, her second win in four career starts. She is up in class today but the Musket Man filly comes down in weight and has a good draw to get to the front again and go on to score once more. (14) LUCKY JAESAN placed at this class and distance last time out in a creditable time and finishing ahead of three of these. That was her first defeat at start number three and while as an on-pace runner, the draw does her absolutely no favours at all, she has enough ability to still be very competitive. (13) GOOD VOW was well back behind Lucky Jaesan last start but is better than that run suggested when she was very wide. If we look back at her previous consistent form at this class, we can make a case for at least a place. (2) GIANT GIRL and (12) CHOTOMA are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(1) Raon Dia (14) Lucky Jaesan (13) Good Vow (2) Giant Girl|
|Next Best||12, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 12, 13, 14|
Race 12: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(10) QUICKLY SUN is the pick here based on a much improved second start when winning over this trip in a good time beating three of these on January 22nd. Despite the draw he should be on the early speed and can win again. (8) MUNHAK ZENYATTA is a consistent and lightly raced filly. She ran well enough for 4th over 1400M last start but will appreciate being back at 1200M today, a distance she has recorded fast times and a win at. (2) GOOD PILSEUNG is worth some thought given how well he has drawn. He has placed in both starts so far and with Moon Se Young remaining aboard, we can expect more improvement here. (4) GEOSEN BULPAE ran well for 2nd on debut having led for much of the way around on January 15th. He should be on pace again and can go close. There is one debut-maker and she looks interesting. Dialed In filly (1) SAENAE SUN was a trial winner a month ago and goes straight into contention.
|Selections||(10) Quickly Sun (8) Munhak Zenyatta (2) Good Pilseung (1) Saenae Sun|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 10|
Race 13: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(13) MARK STORY was one of the most promising horses in Korea before a shock 9th in the Gold Circle Trophy last July. He wasn’t injured but has since had an eight-month spell and on February 26th returned to easily win a trial in a very fast time. Resuming here, even in tough company, he is favoured to win. (3) BAREM is lightly raced whose only unplaced finish was her first effort at class 2 last November when she was caught wide in a fast-run affair. She resumes here having trialed well and she will be in the finish. (10) RAON STORM is a very consistent galloper who is a natural leader. That won’t be easy here but he has plenty of talent and will surely be competitive again. (9) MY HAWK capitulated last start but his previous form warrants another chance while (11) JEONGJOUI KKUM can be inconsistent but is capable of mixing it with these on his day.
|Selections||(13) Mark Story (3) Barem (10) Raon Storm (9) My Hawk|
|Next Best||11, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 10, 11, 12|
Race 14: Class 4 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
The only three-year-old in the race, (7) CHIEF INDY is lightly raced but very promising. He’s having his first go around two-turns but has been running on which indicates that it may suit. He was a good winner over 1400M last start and a win here could see him muscling into the Classic frame. (4) GLOBAL CHEONHA doesn’t win out of turn but he has been very consistent in this class. He prefers to be on pace and won’t need to use up too much early energy from a nice draw. He’ll provide a stern test. (9) THE DREAM won three in a row between August and November last year. He was beaten by a couple of these when 4th last start but is worth another chance here. He can run on from midfield. (3) STRONG QUEEN and (6) QUIET ADELE are others who can contest at least a place.
|Selections||(7) Chief Indy (4) Global Cheonha (9) The Dream (3) Strong Queen|
|Next Best||6, 13|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 9, 10|
Race 15: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
Not an overly strong race to conclude the weekend with. Five of them raced each other at class and distance on January 22nd and it was (1) MALIBU GINGER who came out on top among them that day, finishing in 2nd place. He likes to settle back in the field and therefore may need some luck but he should be in the running again. (3) MIGHTY WING may be able to overturn the form. He ran 5th in that January 22nd race but was wide a long way before battling on well. He has a good draw and looks to have every chance. (2) ECHO BILL was hampered last start in the same race before finishing 6th but is consistent at this class and is worth some though, as is (11) SHU LEUB who managed to run 3rd and again comes in under a light weight. (9) BIG TRIPLE the best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) Mighty Wing (1) Malibu Ginger (2) Echo Bill (11) Shu Leub|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 10, 11|