It’s become quite chilly in Seoul the past few days and some Friday downpours have left the track in a wet condition. Bear that in mind when handicapping the 12 Saturday races which run from 10.45 to 18.00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Good looking juvenile maiden with six first-timers joining four with prior racing experience. Of those who have raced before, (7) WILD WOODS and (5) LUCKY SANGUN are the most convincing having both registered decent performances at this distance and both will be well supported here. We will side with one of the debut-makers though. (4) ALPHA DOK impressed in a trial two weeks ago, running 3rd in a fast time in a competitive heat and won’t need to improve too much on that to be right in the mix here. (1) GWANGYA SIDAE and (2) BALBATU are others who caught the eye in trials, the former winning hers, and both also have claims to go well first-up.
|Selections||(4) Alpha Dok (7) Wild Woods (1) Gwangya Sidae (5) Lucky Sangun|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 8|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
The second division of the juvenile maiden doesn’t look quite as strong. Six of the eleven have raced before with the most convincing of them being (8) BEST GUNDAN. He’s appeared twice, improving to 4th in the most recent of them over this distance. He was well beaten by a good winner, but his time was considerably superior to anything the others here have achieved. (9) DAHAENGIDA was 7th in that race and has potential to improve while (1) WONDERFUL AGAIN has struggled with poor manners in two starts to date and may be better dropped in trip today. Of the debut-makers, (4) JILJUUI KKUM and (10) SPRING COME look the most likely to make an impact.
|Selections||(8) Best Gundan (9) Dahaengida (4) Jiljuui Kkum (10) Spring Come|
|Next Best||1, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 8|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
The final lot of juvenile maidens although this time over 1300M. (2) FIGHTING NOW ran a close 2nd on debut on October 20th, beaten just half a length. He ran on well and the additional distance today should suit. (5) CHODONG ROCKET was a bit further back on his debut, running 3rd also over 1000M. He too ran on gamely and is likely to join Fighting Now in contesting the early speed. (3) YEOLRIN MUN and (9) QUIET ADELE are the only two in the race to have appeared on more than one occasion already. Both have shown promise with Quiet Adele perhaps the most progressive at this point. As for the rest, (4) JEONGMUN BOLT overcame poor manners to run 5th on debut behind Fighting Now and if he fixes them, can get closer today.
|Selections||(2) Fighting Now (5) Chodong Rocket (9) Quiet Adele (3) Yeolrin Mun|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5|
Race 4: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
More maidens although this time it’s not restricted to juveniles. With a 2nd and a 3rd among her four starts so far, (6) MASEONG TUHON needs only a top three finish to find herself up in class next time. She should really be bowing out of the bottom tier of racing with a win over this lot and should be on pace from the start. There are a couple of other promising ones too here. (1) OUR SIMON raced a couple of times around the turn of the year without making an impression but returned in September to run a good 3rd over 1300M. A top jockey is on and if she is right, she should go close. (8) BODY STAR was an improved 4th in a decent time on his latest a month ago and can build on that today while (7) EAST CHAMP and (10) FLYING THOR are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(6) Maseong Tuhon (1) Our Simon (8) Body Star (7) East Champ|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 8|
Race 5: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) CUPID MISSION was a winner on debut at class and distance on October 12th, making all in a fast time as the odds-on favourite. The Mission Impazible colt will be odds-on again today and should be repeating. (5) ULTRA CHAMPION returned from eight months out to run a good 3rd over the distance a month ago and can build on that today while (1) MOONHAK CHAMPION, well back behind Cupid Mission on debut, looks to have potential to improve. The biggest danger, however, may come from one of the two debut-makers. (6) CAPTAIN BULLET was a solid trial winner and should go well first up.
|Selections||(3) Cupid Mission (6) Captain Bullet (5) Ultra Champion (1) Moonhak Champion|
|Next Best||7, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6|
Race 6: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) FIGHTING LANGFUHR has raced six times and while yet to win, has picked up three runner-up finishes including last start over 1200M. From gate 2m he can sit handy behind the speed and finish strongly here. (4) DORAON POPEYE picked up a warning for hanging outwards in the home straight on his debut on October 13th but still managed to finish in 3rd place, just a nose out of 2nd. If he fixes those manners today, then he has every chance. (8) MY ROMEO did nothing wrong on his own debut a month ago and can build on the 4th he achieved that day. Almost a year separated the first and second appearances of (6) GLOBAL BOSS but he looked well on his return when 3rd at the end of September. (5) DRAGON BOAT, up in class here, looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Fighting Langfuhr (4) Doraon Popeye (8) My Romeo (6) Global Boss|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 7|
Race 7: Class 2 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Really good race. (8) RAYMOND is finally living up to his potential having won four of his latest five. The most recent was his first tilt around this trip and while up in class today, he’s nicely in and is favoured to win again. Also up in class after a strong of good results is (5) ACTIMON. He ran a strong 2nd over 1800M last start and looks nicely in here to go strongly. It’s quite possible that neither of those will be favourite though. (6) MUNHAK TSUNAMI has run 2nd and 3rd in two starts at class 2 so far. He is versatile and ran on really well over 1400M last time. This will be the furthest distance he’s tried, and it may well suit. (3) URI disappointed over 1900M last time out but has talent and is worth another chance. (1) MUNHAK TIGER and (10) TAP FASHIONED others who can go close.
|Selections||(8) Raymond (6) Munhak Tsunami (5) Actimon (3) Uri|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 6|
Race 8: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) TANK SOCKS was a winner on debut back in September, narrowly scoring over this distance. He’s had eight weeks off since then and returns here up in class, with claims once more. 3rd that day was (2) WORLD BEYOND. He came back out in October and registered a win of his own and he too comes up in class here. He made all that day despite racing rather ungenerously at times and while today’s is a stiffer assignment, he is the slight choice to overturn the form on Tank Socks. (10) KING OF SUNDAY has a 3rd and a 2nd since returning from nine months off and can place again here while (6) FEDERAL CAT remains a maiden but has already proven himself competitive in this kind of company and looks in amongst it here. (1) WONDERFUL PANGPANG best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) World Beyond (5) Tank Socks (10) King Of Sunday (6) Federal Cat|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 8, 10|
Race 9: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) SOLGAEBARAM may have only managed 6th place in each of her latest two starts but both have been better races than this and the margins have not been big. She’s drawn inside today, should be on speed from the start, and can win. (10) MACH THUNDER is up in class having come from off the pace to win well over this distance on October 19th. His manners weren’t the best, but he’s got a nice turn of foot and should be dangerous here. Outgoing trainer Simon Foster saddles (2) KOOKA CAT, a good maiden winner last start and who can be competitive here while (5) ECHO FIRST ON and (11) CHEONSE MANSE are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) Solgaebaram (10) Mach Thunder (2) Kooka Cat (5) Echo First On|
|Next Best||11, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 12|
Race 10: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) GEUM ROYAL steps up in class off the back of a nice win over this distance on October 19th. This is a good race for class 5 level but everything about him suggests he can be competitive at this level and from gate 1 he can sit nice and handy behind the early speed and launch a strong challenge late on. (3) LUMINESCE has consistently run good times at this distance and seems to have landed in a nice spot here. He’s also drawn well to get on the early speed. (11) JEJUI HEUKSEON showed a big uptick in form when 2nd last start and can build on that today while (2) SPEED BELLE is better than recent results suggest and can get closer here. (8) P.K. JEONSA best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) Geum Royal (3) Lumincesce (11) Jejui Heukseon (2) Speed Belle|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8, 12|
Race 11: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) MAMMA ROMA was 5th in the Korean Oaks before wilting a little over 2000M in the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup. She dropped back to 1300M to run 2nd at the end of August and has since been off twelve weeks. She returns here looking nicely in and is the favourite to score here. (7) HANYANG GONGJU ran 5th in a tight race at class and distance last start and looks set to get much closer today while (2) GEOM HYANG may be better for being given a bit of extra distance to play with this time. (5) TAURUS and (6) DONG JAK have placing claims.
|Selections||(3) Mamma Roma (7) Hanyang Gongju (2) Geom Hyang (6) Dong Jak|
|Fast Start||4, 6|
Race 12: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) BEST STAR won four from four between January and May progressing rapidly through the classes before suffering a bad injury that has kept him out since. He showed no ill-effects when blitzing a trial earlier this month and can return victorious today. Should he be rusty then (10) GAENARI SONG could be one to take advantage. He only managed 6th when favourite last start a month ago but he was slowly away, and the margins weren’t big. Expect him to do better today. (3) MACHA BUCHA and (8) NIMUI HYANGGI ran home 2nd and 3rd respectively when they raced each other at class and distance on October 6th and both should be in the placing hunt again. (9) GEUMSEONGHWANGJE is another to consider for the minor money.
|Selections||(7) Best Star (10) Gaenari Song (8) Nimui Hyanggi (3) Macha Bucha|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 11, 12|