It’s set to be a very mild Sunday and there are big cards at both Seoul and Busan. The captial hosts 11 races from 10:45 to 18:00 while at Busan there are 6 from 12:40 to 17:05. Here are previews of both tracks:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(5) SENTOSA has been knocking at the door and got close to being let in last time when just being beaten a neck over this distance in December. She’s had over two months off since and is well drawn to get on pace and potentially go all the way. (3) DAEJI YEOGEOL is the main danger and likely favourite. While she only managed 5th over 1300M last time, she’s gone well at this trip before and looks to have plenty of improvement in her. (1) BORN ANGEL ran 2md on his last try at the distance and should be close while (2) SOBAEK YEONGJU and (4) GIVEN RUNNER are others in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(5) Sentosa (3) Daeji Yeogeol (1) Born Angel (2) Sobaek Yeongju|
|Next Best||4, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(6) BLACK PARTY is set to be a warm favourite here. Having run 5th n debut in December, he improved to a good 2nd when put up to this distance on his reappearance last month and should have too much for this lot. (11) HAERANG didn’t look to be amounting to much across her first three outings but has improved significantly in her latest two and can continue to make progress today. She was 3rd last time ahead of (12) HIT THE PACE in 5th and he’s another with potential to go better here. (2) DIA PARK steps up in trip for the first time and should be competitive while (7) HAMYANG SANSAM could only manage 7th on her first try at this distance four weeks ago but may have come on for that and can be closer this time.
|Selections||(6) Black Party (11) Haerang (12) Hit The Pace (2) Dia Park|
|Next Best||7, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(10) MYEONGJIN MAN is the one to beat here. He only ran 4th when favourite on his latest start on January 6th but he was fractious in the barriers and lost ground at the start. He passed a subsequent stalls test and should be better today. It’s a similar story with (1) PARRHESIA, who stumbled at the start last time and never really recovered. That was over 1700M, so we’ll give him another chance here as he won impressively at this distance in December. (8) TRI THUNDER steps up in trip and into contention here while (3) MAPAEBONG and (4) MENI SMART are others who can be forgiven lacklustre latest outings and should both be in the frame today.
|Selections||(10) Myeongjin Man (1) Parrhesia (8) Tri Thunder (4) Meni Smart|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(6) BEST STAR made all to win by five-lengths on debut at this distance on January 19th. He’s up in class here but the manner of that win is enough to put him on top for a repeat. (9) SOMETHING NOBODYNO was almost as easy on the eye when scoring on what was his second career start a month ago. He too led all the way and looks to have what it takes to handle himself at this level and beyond. (3) RAISING ANGEL won on debut just before Christmas and then finished a creditable 4th on her first try at this level in similar company last month. She can build on that today. Draw a line through the latest effort from (1) POP STREET – he suffered a bad start and was later found to be lame – after almost three months off, he gets a fresh start. (2) DAMON ANGEL too is better than his latest outing suggests.
|Selections||(6) Best Star (9) Something Nobodyno (1) Pop Street (3) Raising Angel|
|Next Best||2, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 11|
Busan Race 1 Selections: 8, 5, 2, 7
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Fillies and mares only and it’s a strong race for the level. (8) DADDY GLORY has won two out of her latest three in fine fashion and is up in class following a four-length score last time. She can set up camp behind the early speed and finish strongly. Plenty of others with a chance too though. (4) MATCH QUEEN is up in class too after a seven-length win at 1000M and while a previous try at this distance didn’t go well, she looks ready for another crack. (9) ACE SOLONGO has won twice at this distance and comes in after a close 3rd in a similarly strong race over 1000M last month. (3) GONG SAN was a class and distance winner in December and must be respected while (11) BODEURAM too has solid claims for at least a place.
|Selections||(8) Daddy Glory (9) Ace Solongo (3) Gong San (4) Match Queen|
|Next Best||11, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 12|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) GREAT WIN is up in class following a dominant win at this distance on January 18th. Well drawn to be on speed again, he has every chance of following up. (3) POWER AMAZING was a touch disappointing last time but has a 3rd place at class and distance and top jockey on here. (11) LUCKY ADELE steps up in distance for the first time and can get close. (7) NEW JACK SWING is another who has demonstrated some ability at this trip and can improve while (6) GOP DDA defied odds in excess of 90/1 last start to run 4th and can look to match that today.
|Selections||(2) Great Win (3) Power Amazing (11) Lucky Adele (7) New Jack Swing|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 6: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
No fewer than seven of the twelve are up in class here, with five of them having been last start winners. However, all of those are going to need to improve as the other five are quite useful themselves. Those five include (1) ARGO MELODY and (5) WILD DRAGON, who ran 2nd and 4th when they raced each other on January 27th. Wild Dragon stumbled badly at the start that day and he is the pick to overturn that form and take the honours here. (7) HAE HU was well back in the field in that same race but is much better than that and should improve. (4) GARA GARA GA has plenty of experience at this level and is rarely far away. As for the ones who step up, oddly it’s won of the pair who didn’t win last start who looks most equipped for this level right away. (8) HEUNG OREUM ran well for a close 2nd over 1300M last month and while this is his first try at half a furlong further, should be close.
|Selections||(5) Wild Dragon (7) Hae Hu (8) Heung Oreum (1) Argo Melody|
|Next Best||4, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 7|
Busan Race 3: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(11) CHEONHA GAMDONG was a 20/1 class and distance winner a month ago. The weights do him no favours this time, but a repeat isn’t impossible. (5) JANGSAN JOY was a winner at this distance in December and ran 3rd on his first try at this class on January 27th. With the in-form Franco Da Silva on board again, he can win this. As can (4) ADELEUI SIN. He’s also won at a mile and while he was only 5th last start in a similar strength race to this, the margins weren’t huge, and he can get closer today. Thomas Gillespie is going very well at the moment and his (1) GEUMSUYA looks good for at least a place here. (7) CURLIN FANTASY another in the hunt.
|Selections||(5) Jangsan Joy (11) Cheonha Gamdong (1) Geumsuya (4) Adeleui Sin|
|Next Best||7, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) DALGWA GUREUM ran 3rd on his first try at class and distance on January 26th, leading almost the whole way around before getting taken down late. He should have come on for the experience and this time can stay on all the way. (9) BEST LINE has a win and two runner-up finishes from three starts so far. He was a close 2nd over 1300M last time and the step up in trip may suit. (5) DONGBANG JIJU beat a couple of these on her way to 3rd place at class and distance on January 19th. She’s a front-runner too and is likely to challenge Dalgwa Gureum for the early lead. (4) GEOBOOGI MANSE and (11) DAE CAIN look best of the rest.
|Selections||(8) Dalgwa Gureum (9) Best Line (5) Dongbang Jiju (11) Dae Cain|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||5, 8|
Busan Race 4: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(2) WORLD POWER comes in two for two having won both outings so far in fine fashion. He’s up in class and also up in distance but his running style suggests it should suit and he has every chance of maintaining his unbeaten record here. The main danger is (6) YES PERFECT. Having finished 3rd on debut in November, he’s won two in a row, the latest of which was at class and distance three weeks ago. He’s likely to be on pace from the start and it won’t necessarily be easy for World Power to get past. (9) PRO CONSUL races for the first time since running 5th in the Gyeongnam Domin Ilbo Cup in November. He looks to have plenty of talent and can be a threat here. (11) SAKISAKI and (12) VEGA ONE are both proven place-getters at this level and can compete for the minor money.
|Selections||(2) World Power (6) Yes Perfect (9) Pro Consul (11) Sakisaki|
|Next Best||12, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(6) EMORY SOCKS was a class and distance winner on January 19th with two of these back down the track behind her. That was her maiden win, but it wasn’t completely unexpected as she came into form with a 3rd place the time before. She can repeat. (8) DAVIKI and (7) GEUMSOK DOLPA came home 3rd and 5th respectively in that same race. Geumsok Dolpa was favourite that day and will have plenty of backers to overturn the form. (10) DONGBANGUI GIEOK has taken to this distance well with two runner-up finishes from two attempts. He’s still seeking his maiden win after six tries but last time he was only half a length behind a better horse than anything he faces today, and he could make the breakthrough. (1) EAST KWAENAM was a bit shake on his first try over this distance last start but hopefully learned from that and can go better here.
|Selections||(6) Emory Socks (10) Dongbangui Gieok (7) Geumsok Dolpa (1) East Kwaenam|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 10, 12|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(3) BLACK TEN has won his latest two in good fashion, the latest of them at this class over a mile. He’s up in distance today and he does carry plenty of weight, but he’s still the pick to prevail again. (6) CHIEF LEADER was a somewhat unexpected mile winner last time and he too tries this distance for the first time. He’ll be a danger along with the very experienced (1) GANGHAN NAMJA, who was 4th behind Black Ten last time and can get closer today. (8) RARARA and (10) FIRST VICTORY are others who should be competing for at least a place.
|Selections||(3) Black Ten (6) Chief Leader (10) First Victory (8) Rarara|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) RULE BREAKER steps up in class having won well on his first try at this distance four weeks ago. He’ll race prominently here and has much chance as any in what is a competitive looking contest. (3) JUMBO CAPTAIN beat a couple of these on his way to 3rd place on his own first go at 1700M last month. He too is likely to race forward here and can go even better this time. (4) GREEN DARC steps up to two turns for the first time and it may well suit under a very light weight. (1) HAMBAK MISO also moves up in trip after a win last time a 1300M and can be considered. (10) TAURUS looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Rule Breaker (3) Jumbo Captain (4) Green Dark (10) Taurus|
|Next Best||1, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 9|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(3) CAPTAIN FORCE rounded out his three-year-old campaign with two fine wins at tis class, the latter of which was at this distance. He’s had seven weeks off and looks the one to beat today. He is though giving away plenty of weight, including to (9) KING OF GLORY. A winner of five from nine so far, he was a fast winner of a good race over 1200M three weeks ago and has claims to repeat. Meanwhile (6) DYNAMIC STAR was a class and distance winner on January 13th and he too is dangerous. Last year’s Derby winner (4) ECTON BLADE has seemingly lost his way a little. He makes his second start for his new trainer but his run over 1200M earlier this month did not excite. Don’t rule him out but (1) DAEHO SIDAE and (5) MORNING DAERO are perhaps more credible contenders for places.
|Selections||(3) Captain Force (9) King Of Glory (6) Dynamic Star (4) Ecton Blade|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 10: Class 1 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
The feature race of the day sees (1) GANGTOMA and (3) TOSCONOVA CAT as the two standouts. Gangtoma comes in having won at this class over 1400M in January and has scored at this distance in the past. A winner of seven from ten, he has plenty more in him and can win today. So can Tosconova Cat. While his win ratio isn’t that great, he’s raced in touch company, including the Korea Cup and Grand Prix. He drops back in trip having finished 3rd over 2000M on January 26th with a couple of these behind him. He has a real chance. (5) ULTRA ROCKET won the JRA Trophy last September and followed up with 4th place in the President’s Cup. His latest outing was a solid 4th at 1200M in the Segye Ilbo Trophy and he’s another who carries a very lightweight today. (6) CLEAN UP TEUKGEUP is up in class following three straight wins and can’t be ruled out while (9) CLEAN UP BOARD also steps up off consecutive victories. Plenty more are in at least the placing hunt in a very tricky contest.
|Selections||(3) Tosconova Cat (1) Gangtoma (5) Ultra Rocket (9) Clean Up Board|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 11: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(5) THANK YOU CHARLIE had a hard time in the Nonghyup Chairman’s Trophy in November before only finishing 5th in a tough race at 1400M last month. Back down to 1200M here, he should be returning to winning ways, (10) PARK SOCKS finished half a length ahead of Thank You Charlie in that 1400M race and while he’ll need to improve plenty to win, can maintain his run of consistently close finishes. A bigger danger though may be (12) PRINCE MEMORY. He is up in class following an eye-catching seven-length win over this distance three weeks go and should be competitive at this level, even if the draw hasn’t done him any favours. (4) LEONNING STROM has gone a little cold in his latest two but does have ability. (8) YAHO STRONG CAT beat three of these, including Leonning Strom, on his way to 3rd place at 1400M just before Christmas and is another with placing claims here.
|Selections||(5) Thank You Charlie (12) Prince Memory (8) Yaho Strong Cat (4) Leonning Strom|
|Next Best||10, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 8|