The weekend’s racing gets underway at Busan on Friday with 11 races from 11:30 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens to kick things off with seven of the twelve having raced before. Of those, (3) FINAL RULES ran 2nd on debut on January 18th and the filly is the pick to go one better this time. A couple of the others have shown some ability too. (12) TWO TWO FIRE has a 3rd and a 4th from two starts so far and should be looking to place again while both (1) BROWN PIE and (9) TRUE SIGNATURE also put in useful performances when running 4th in their respective latest outings. There is one stand-out among the first-timers. (2) TOHAM IMPACT is a half-sister to Jeongan Kingdom, a solid campaigner at Seoul, and he went well in a trial, albeit all the way back in November. Jockey booking a plus too.
|Selections||(3) Final Rules (2) Toham Impact (12) Two Two Fire (1) Brown Pie|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 9|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
More maidens although this time all but one have raced before. (8) NAEGA SAEGANGJA lines up for the third time and having run 2nd and 3rd in the prior two and should be the one to beat here. None of the others especially impressed although (1) B.K. LUNA didn’t do too much wrong when 4th of eight on debut six weeks ago and can build on that here. Likewise, (4) ACE CRUSH has been inconsistent across seven outings so far but has registered a pair of 4th place finishes and can be competitive here, while (7) QUEEN OF ADELE too has hinted at ability. One interesting entrant is (3) BONINARA. She offered little on debut in December but has since been back to trial and looked much better. She could go well.
|Selections||(8) Naega Saegangja (3) Boninara (4) Ace Crush (1) B.K. Luna|
|Next Best||7, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 7|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(8) VERYVERYTHANKYOU was beaten half a length into 2nd by a nice-looking winner (Miss Fact) over this distance on February 1st. The pair were eleven-lengths clear of the rest of the field, which included a couple of those who go here too, and he really should be winning today. (3) HWANGGEUMBITMASENG looks the most credible challenger having run a solid 2nd last time out over 1000M and has previously gone well at this distance too. (5) HOT GIRL and (11) MAGIC FLYING are others who should be in the placing frame.
|Selections||(8) Veryverythankyou (3) Hwanggeumbitmaseng (11) Magic Flying (5) Hot Girl|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 8, 10|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Yet more three-year-old maidens. (8) RAON CAESERS didn’t do much on debut in November but was a much improved 2nd at this trip five weeks ago. He’ll be on pace here and looks the one to beat. (10) HWARANGUICHAMPION ran a very solid 2nd on debut on December 30th and should have come on for it after eight weeks off while (11) HOLIDAY PARIS was 3rd on her first start a month ago and should benefit from the additional distance today. (There are four debut makers among whom (4) CHOEGANG BOSS looks the pick, however, the most intriguing entry is one who has already raced once, albeit unimpressively and a full seven months ago. That’s (3) FRIDAY, the first foal out of 2013 Korean Derby and Oaks winner Speedy First. Last of seven on his only start last July, he’s not been seen since, but now returns, gelded, and having looked much more competent in a trial last month. He has a chance.
|Selections||(8) Raon Caesers (3) Friday (10) Hwaranguichampion (11) Holiday Paris|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 8|
Race 5: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(6) FIGHT MAGIC has run 5th and 3rd from two outings to date and steps up to a mile for the first time with solid claims of making her breakthrough. She’ll be on pace early as will potential dangers (8) DAEDONG MANSE, a much-improved 2nd when bumped up to this trip last time, and (9) GRAND JILJU, who has done all his work at shorter distances so far but may benefit from a step up in trip today. Another contender is (5) ROYAL TICKET, who has finished off well in both efforts over 1300M so far and is another who can appreciate the mile today. The other “royal”, (1) ROYAL BLUE, returned from six months off to run a decent 5th over 1000M last month and should have come on for it. He too tries the distance for the first time.
|Selections||(6) Fight Magic (5) Royal Ticket (9) Grand Jilju (1) Royal Blue|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 9|
Race 6: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
One of the trickier contests on the card but the recent form of (2) HAPPY DRAGON suggests he has a good chance of winning here. He comes in having run 3rd in a similarly strong race at class and distance on January 25th with a couple of his rivals here behind him. He’ll come from off the pace and with a bit of luck, can win. Plenty of others enter in good form though. (6) SANGSEUNG DAEHAN was going well in that very same race before interference caused his to unseat his rider and he should go well today. (1) EONJENA SEUNGNI was below par last start but previous ran a strong 2nd at class and distance and is worth another chance. (5) JEONGSU SIDAE and (10) RENAISSANCE MAN are others who should be in the hunt.
|Selections||(2) Happy Dragon (6) Sangseung Daehan (10) Renaissance Man (1) Eonjena Seungni|
|Next Best||5, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) CHEONNYEONUIJILJU remains a maiden after five attempts but showed he can handle this level with 3rd place at this distance in December. He’s been off for ten weeks and should be on pace form the inside gate with solid claims to make his breakthrough. (10) ROCKHARD FORCE is up in class following a win and a runner-up finish from two starts so far, both at this distance and shouldn’t have anything to fear at this level. He’s drawn wide but is a strong finisher and should get close. (6) BYEOLBIT OREUM is similarly up in class having also registered her maiden win at the second time of asking four weeks ago. She’s joined up in class by that day’s runner-up (7) BAEJJANG. It’s a step up in trip today but both can be competitive. (3) THUNDER STRUCK is consistently there or thereabouts and should be competing for a money finish once more.
|Selections||(1) Cheonnyeonuijilju (10) Rockhard Force (6) Byeolbit Oreum (3) Thunder Struck|
|Next Best||7, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 11|
Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(11) ALECTO is already a class and distance winner and was a good 2nd on her final start of 2018 on December 30th. This is a competitive race, but she has as much chance as any of scoring again. (2) GOLD TICKET mat only have finished 5th when favourite at this distance on January 20th, having led for much of the way around. The margins were tight, however, and he can be given another chance today. (1) BAEDARI MUNNING remains a maiden after seventeen attempts. He enters in his best form so far, however, having run a close 2nd in both his latest two and he should be a factor once more. (5) OS HILL has won two of her latest three and steps up in class today. (6) BAEDARI SAMCHONGSA was a somewhat surprising 3rd in a tough class and distance contest last month and the jockey booking suggests confidence that it wasn’t a one-off.
|Selections||(11) Alecto (2) Gold Ticket (1) Baedari Munning (5) Os Hill|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7|
Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) BIG FOOT was a class and distance winner on January 13th, with a front-running effort. His reward is to be significantly up in the weights today, but he’s won under just a kilo less in the past, albeit in less taxing company, and he can win again. (5) SEONGSAN SIMON is another up and comer. He cored by five-lengths last time out to get promoted to this class and should be competitive. (2) GANGHAN JILJU and (3) MACHO MYEONGUN both enter off useful runner-up finishes on their respective latest outings and can aim to match here. (4) HALLA SKY meanwhile struggled when sent up to a mile last time but should be much more comfortable back down in trip today.
|Selections||(1) Big Foot (5) Seongsan Simon (4) Halla Sky (3) Macho Myeongun|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6|
Race 10: Class 2 (2000M) Allowance / KRW 110 Million
(10) CALL UP THE GUARD has a win and a 3rd place from his latest two, both at this class and both over 1800M. He’s into unchartered weight today both in terms of distance and carried weight, but he is a talent and he can win. (2) BLUE FLAG finished just half a length behind Call Up The Guard last time and ahead of three others who go here and is likely to be one of the main dangers once more. (3) WORLD NUMBER ONE and last start winner (8) CHIEF ACE are others capable in this company. (11) ROCK HARD SEVEN won five in a row over a period of eight months up to June last year. He lost his way a bit in the summer but returned after five months out having looked sharp in a January trial. He’ll no doubt need this but can be dangerous.
|Selections||(10) Call Up The Guard (2) Blue Flag (8) Chief Ace (11) Rock Hard Seven|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 11, 12|
Race 11: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Very open contest to conclude the day’s action. (3) CHAMPAGNE PARTY came back into form with an unexpected 2nd place at class and distance in December, beating four of these in the process. He could well go one-better today. (6) TAGONAN JILJU is up in class but nicely in following three strong recent showings. He can come from just off the pace and can be close. (11) HANEOL GONGJU has already won at class and distance and is to be respected. (10) SINBIHAN BARAM has won three on a row and four from seven in total. He is up in class here and all those previous victories have come at 1000M but it’s not impossible that he could step up. (7) SPOT too comes up in class having gone close last time and looks nicely in here under a light weight.
|Selections||(11) Haneol Gongju (10) Sinbihan Baram (3) Champagne Party (7) Spot|
|Next Best||6, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 9|