There is a big 13-race card at Seoul on Saturday with racing from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Maidens to begin with and both (2) PRIMA NIKE and (9) IL MARE have made promising starts to their careers, both registering a 3rd and a 4th from their opening two races. Both should be away to fast starts here and can dispute this between them with Prima Nike marginally preferred at this stage. (11) WINNER CROWN put in a creditable 5th on debut four weeks ago and should be looking to improve here. There are six first-time starters and among them, (8) JIOBANA and (12) BAEKSANG look the most promising.
|Selections||(2) Prima Nike (9) Il Mare (11) Winner Crown (8) Jiobana|
|Next Best||12, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 8|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Maiden fillies here. (7) BANGTANMA has hinted at having plenty of ability and comes in following an admittedly well-beaten 2nd place at the distance just before Christmas. She’s well drawn to get on pace and it could be her day. (9) NEW PARADIGM has already beaten Bangtanma and actually beat three of these on her way to 4th place at this distance on January 6th. That continued her promising start to her career and she should be going close here. The three who she beat last time look to be the best other prospects here. (5) WONDERFUL MARIA, (10) SSOARAUTS and (12) LOVE RACE all have potential to improve.
|Selections||(7) Bangtanma (9) New Paradigm (5) Wonderful Maria (10) Ssoarauts|
|Next Best||12, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(3) SLING STONE has a 5th and a pair of 4th place finishes from three outings so far. Moon Se Young takes over in the saddle, he’s drawn well to lead, and he can win here. (12) VICAR BRACING is another who has impressed so far. He beat a couple of these on his way to 3rd place at this distance just prior to Christmas and while the widest gate may not be ideal, he can overcome it. (10) WHITE FLOWER has been knocking at the door for a while now and should be close again. (2) SEUNGRI LIKE and (7) GEOTAP are others who should be in the hunt.
|Selections||(3) Sling Stone (12) Vicar Bracing (10) White Flower (2) Seungri Like|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 11|
Race 4: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) BROWN ROSE was promoted to this level winless and while that remains the case, she showed she’s competitive at it with a solid 2md place at this distance in December. She won’t need to improve much to go one better here. (8) WINT SEVEN struggled when sent up to 1300M on his first try at this level but was much better when dropped back to this trip last time, finishing 4th in what was possibly a slightly stronger race than this. (3) BLUE FIRE too demonstrated he can be competitive at this level with an in no way disgraced 5th place three weeks ago and he can build on it here. (6) EOMJI YEOWANG shouldn’t be too far away while (9) KAILLUM YEOJE looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) Brown Rose (8) Wint Seven (3) Blue Fire (6) Eomji Yeowang|
|Next Best||9, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 9, 10|
Race 5: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(3) PRIVATE MAN ran 2nd to the promising Dokdo Ya at this distance back in December. That led him to be sent off as favourite on his reappearance three weeks ago and while he only managed to finish 5th, he’s worth another chance today. If he comes up short once more, (2) CHEONNYEONUI BARAM could be the one to take advantage. He has two 4ths and a 3rd from his latest three and should have more improvement in him. (9) JANGSAN FLY races fro the first time since beaten Private Man on his way to 2nd place at this distance back in November and he warrants respect here. (4) YEOKDAE CHOEGO and (8) CHEONNYEON HAPPY are others who can be considered.
|Selections||(3) Private Man (2) Cheonnyeonui Baram (9) Jangsan Fly (4) Yeokdae Choego|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 10, 11|
Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) FLYING JOY drops back in trip having had his recent assignments all at 1700M. He enters with his recent form reading well and the distance change may be what he needs to finally make the breakthrough. (8) ROAD MAN is another who remains a maiden but who has been getting closer, culminating in a 2nd place at this distance last start. He can
take up a position behind the early leaders and can finish strongly. (5) INDY LADY didn’t go great on her first try at this level last month but was a god winner at the distance the time before and can be given another chance today. (6) BAEKSAN ISLAND and (11) LUCKY BONGHWA are two others who should be in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(4) Flying Joy (8) Road Man (5) Indy Lady (6) Baeksan Island|
|Next Best||11, 1, 3|
Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) SPECIAL WINNER isn’t always the most straightforward of types but he ran very well for a class and distance victory on January 6th. He does carry an additional 3kg this time but he still looks like the one they’ll need to beat. (8) TIAGO TOUCH come sin following a 2nd and a 5th, both in tougher contests than this and he should be the main danger, although (11) WONDERFUL EVIL, an also-ran in the Breeders’ Cup last December but strong at this level, also has claims to go close. (2) JUMEOK DOKKI is already a class and distance winner and while he has even more to carry than Special Winner, he can overcome it. (9) RISING SOCKS is up in class following a good win last time out and is another who should be competitive.
|Selections||(3) Special Winner (8) Tiago Touch (11) Wonderful Evil (2) Jumeok Dokki|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||2. 7. 8, 10|
Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Very competitive handicap. (2) RAON PRIMER is inconsistent but he is a class and distance winner and gets another chance after a slightly disappointing showing last time out a month ago. He’ll be on pace early. (7) HANEULUI STAR returned from seven months off to run a strong 2nd in early December. He’s had another nine weeks off since and should be a danger. (11) CHAPEL ACE was well beaten that day but had been going well leading up to it and can improve here. (6) OUR CAT defied lengthy odds to run 2nd at class and distance last time and can be considered here while (12) DAEGIL SANGJON is another one in the hunt.
|Selections||(2) Raon Primer (7) Haneului Star (6) Our Cat (11) Chapel Ace|
|Next Best||12, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 8|
Race 9: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(1) TRUE TIMBER beat a couple of these on her way to a solid 3rd place at class and distance on January 5th. She looks nicely in here to go two better today. (5) BLACK GINGA was 6th in that same race in what was her first try at two-turns. She should have come on for that run and can get closer today. A bigger danger though is (11) RAYMOND. His promotion to 1st place in the Munhwa Ilbo Cup after the first horse across the line was disqualified, remains his solitary win but he steps up to this distance for the first time and it may well suit. (3) HANIL DALBIT too looks a real danger having been consistently close in recent starts. (6) DALLYEORA RAON best of the rest.
|Selections||(11) Raymond (1) True Timber (3) Hanil Dalbit (5) Black Ginga|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7|
Race 10: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(7) WONDERFUL TRUTH won his first two races in fine style before suffering his first setback over 1300M a month ago. He steps up in trip to two-turns for the first time today and he has every chance of making amends. It won’t be easy though in what is a tough race. (3) UP LIGHT also tries the distance for the first time and is up in class having been a very comfortable winner over 1300M last time. (5) CHEONGDAM TIGER got his maiden win on his last start, making all to win by five-lengths at this class and distance. He carries more weight today but is to be respected. (4) JANGSAN BEARS and (12) EAGLES GRIFTER are others who can go close.
|Selections||(7) Wonderful Truth (5) Cheongdam Tiger (3) Up Light (4) Jangsan Bears|
|Next Best||12, 10|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 9|
Race 11: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(6) WITH FRIENDSHIP is up in class after a win and a pair of runner-up finishes from his latest three outings. It’s his first time stretching out to 1800M – although he has won at 1700M – and he looks very nicely in. (12) HANIL GANGJA also comes up in class and in his case, significantly up in trip as well. He’ll try to get forward early and could well stay on. (7) YESANGBAEK SEUNG can have a line drawn through her latest couple and should go better here. (2) CHEONHABI and (5) SENTA POBA are others who are better than their respective latest starts suggest and both should be competitive.
|Selections||(6) With Friendship (12) Hanil Gangja (5) Senta Poba (7) Yesangbaek Seung|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 10, 12|
Race 12: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(5) PRINCE MEMORY returned from five months off to run a good 3rd place at this distance on December 22nd. He should have come on for the run and has every chance of coming out on top here. He’s one of two standouts along with (7) M J POWER. The latter has only raced three times and was 3rd in a slightly stiffer class and distance contest three weeks ago. Both will be expected to be on pace. (6) STORM RYKER has come back into form in his latest two and he can keep the momentum going here. (2) MUNHAK TIGER is up in class after a maiden win last time and can be competitive. (4) TAP FASHIONED is best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Prince Memory (7) M J Power (6) Storm Ryker (2) Munhak Tiger|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 11|
Race 13: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(10) MORFHIS stepped up to this class last time out on December 16th and beat two of these on his way to a good 4th place. He looks to gave more development in him and could well win here. The main danger is (12) MIGHTY SSING. He didn’t quite manage to push on from a string of very good performances last summer but he drops back in trip here and can show just how dangerous he still is. (9) JEONSEUNG DAESE was 5th behind Morfhis in December but came back out two weeks ago to run 2nd to the very good Gangtoma. (6) IGWANGSASEOK was 4th in that race and both can threaten today. (4) CHEONGDAM JEWANG had a hard time on his first try at the level in December but shouldn’t be written off yet.
|Selections||(10) Morfhis (12) Mighty Ssing (9) Jeonseung Daese (4) Cheongdam Jewang|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 12|