It’s Friday! It’s Busan! There are 11 races on the South-Coast from 11:30 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
A filly maiden to begin with and having run well for 3rd on debut in October at this distance, (9) SILLAUI MISO was long odds-on favourite when stepped up to 1300M a month later. She led early but weakened to 4th in the final furlong. Back down in trip today, she should go close. (4) B.K. SOUND improved to 2nd place on what was her second outing on December 14th. She too will be looking for a fast start and is the main danger and likely favourite. The solitary four-year-old in the race, (12) SWEET PARK returned from ten months out to run a good 2nd place at this distance three weeks ago and she can aim to at least match here. (5) BROWN PIE and first-time starter (11) ECTON SMILE, a stablemate of B.K. Sound, are others who can compete for at least places.
|Selections||(9) Sillaui Miso (4) B.K. Sound (12) Sweet Park (5) Brown Pie|
|Next Best||11, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 9, 12|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
More maidens, three-year-olds only this time. (5) THUNDER RAIN has improved across three starts so far and while he came up slightly short when favourite on December 14th, he ran well enough to suggest that a win isn’t far away and really, it should be here. (3) GOLDEN SHARP has three 5th places finishes, and a 6th from four outings so far. He’ll be expected to join the favourite in contesting the early lead and at a minimum should be getting his best placing to date here. (8) DAEHO JILJU and (9) SILVER BEST have both hinted at some ability across a pair of starts each and are in the placing frame.
|Selections||(5) Thunder Rain (3) Golden Sharp (8) Daeho Jilju (9) Silver Best|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 5|
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Maidens here with just four of the nine having raced before. (1) MERCI CHERIE debuted over 1300M finishing 3rd having raced prominently throughout. Down to the minimum trip today, he only needs a bit of improvement to be right in the mix here. He’ll need to beat (5) LUCKY NUMBER ONE. Kim Young Kwan’s filly led for much of the way around 1300M last time only to finish 3rd. That was her best to date and it would be a surprise if she doesn’t better that here. Among the first-time starters, (6) PAGEUKCHEON won a trial in late December and should go well first-up. (2) HOLIDAY PARIS and (3) FINAL RULES also went well in their respective heats. As ever with races like this, keep an eye on the market.
|Selections||(6) Pageukcheon (1) Merci Cherie (5) Lucky Number One (3) Final Rules|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(6) MR. COLORS returned from five months off to run a solid 3rd place over this distance on December 30th. That was an uptick in form, and he could well keep it going here. He’ll be on pace along with main rival (10) GREAT WIN. He ran 3rd on debut a month ago over 1000M and should have come on for the run. (7) CHOEGANG CLEAR ran well for 4th at this distance last time and should be aiming to at least repeat while the experienced (3) SERENDIPITER may still be a maiden after twenty-four attempts but his recent form reads well and he’s likely to be there or thereabouts. (4) HURRICANE BAY returns for the first time since last September and a trial victory a month ago gives cause for optimism about possible improvement.
|Selections||(6) Mr. Colors (10) Great Win (7) Choegang Clear (4) Hurricane Bay|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 10|
Race 5: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(9) DOCTOR WEEK has come close in his latest two outings, both of which were arguably in tougher company than this. He has a 2nd place at the distance and is likely to be ridden forward here. He should win. (11) YEONGSEONGFIGHTING ran well on debut and while he was beaten a full ten-lengths into 2nd place by promising filly Nakita, he beat a couple of the others who go here and ran through the line in a manner that suggests he will appreciate the additional distance today. (1) ACE BOOM was 4th in that race on what was an improved second start and she has potential for more improvement today. A full six months separated (3) FIGHT MAGIC’s first and second outings but she ran well for 5th on her reappearance in December and can make progress here. (5) RAON CAESERS didn’t do anything especially wrong on debut in November and looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(9) Doctor Week (11) Yeongseongfighting (3) Fight Magic (1) Ace Boom|
|Next Best||5, 8|
|Fast Start||6, 9|
Race 6: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) NAKITA is a useful looking filly who was beaten when odds-on on debut in November but ran well behind a filly who has gone on to win twice more since. Nakita got her own maiden victory on December 14th and accordingly steps up in class here with every chance of a repeat in this filly only affair. (1) MAKGANG YEOGEOL finally got her maiden win at the sixth time of asking at the distance last start. She joins Nakita up in class and looks the main danger. (8) S S YOUNG remains a maiden but comes in off the back of consecutive 3rd place finishes, a position she can aim to match in this company. (2) USEUNG TICKET and (4) FASHION WANG will be among those disputing the minor placings.
|Selections||(3) Nakita (1) Makgang Yeogeol (8) S S Young (2) Useung Ticket|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7|
Race 7: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(3) SHE JUST WIN did exactly that at this class over 1300M three weeks ago, scoring by a full four-lengths. He (for She Just Win is a colt) is up in trip today but he has a 3rd place at a mile to his name already so that shouldn’t be an issue. Of slightly more concern is the additional 4kg he carries but that too shouldn’t be insurmountable. (7) REVERSE SWEEP comes up in class following two runner-up finishes followed by a victory in three outings so far. He tris the distance for the first time and there’s no reason why it shouldn’t suit. (2) WHIIK struggled on his return from five months off at the end of December but should have come on for the run and can improve today. (1) I’M YOUR HOPE and (5) YONGWANGDAM can similarly improve on their respective latest efforts.
|Selections||(3) She Just Win (7) Reverse Sweep (5) Yongwangdam (2) Whiik|
|Next Best||1, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 4|
Race 8: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(9) THUNDER STRUCK remains a maiden after seventeen attempts, but he comes in here having finished 4th in each of his last three starts. Despite having the widest draw here, he should be able to get across and on pace early and today could be his day. Should he come up short once more, there are plenty who could take advantage. (8) MUJEOK SPEED is up in class having prevailed at this distance by a neck on December 7th. He is another who will be looking to get close to the lead early and he should be competitive at this level. (3) INTERCEPTOR was 2nd that day, only beaten a neck and he subsequently ran solidly if unspectacularly on his first try at this level three weeks ago. He can get closer here. (4) TRIPLE BOSS ran a good 4th at class and distance two weeks ago and will be a danger while (7) MEISTER GO is another maiden but has proven capable of finding the money at this level.
|Selections||(9) Thunder Struck (8) Mujeok Speed (4) Triple Boss (3) Interceptor|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 9|
Race 9: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(6) CHALLANHAN MISO saw his win streak come to an end when stepped up to 1800M on December 16th. While it was no surprise he was beaten as New Legend was in that race, he did weaken quite badly late on and was even beaten by a couple who return here too. Nevertheless, back at a mile today, he should be a different prospect and can return to winning ways. This is a good race though. (5) YEONGUNG JEWANG and (9) GLITTER came home 2nd and 3rd at class and distance in December. The latter was a touch disappointing on reappearance two weeks ago, but both should have claims here with Yeongung Jewang likely to dispute the early lead with Challanhan Miso. (10) ADELEUI SIN comes in having won two of four starts so far including a good score at this distance on December 16th. He’ll be competitive. (2) ARAM NARAE was a five-length winner at this distance back in October and then ran a good 2nd on her first try at this level in November. She’s had a couple of months off and should be in the placing frame here.
|Selections||(6) Challanhan Miso (10) Adeleui Sin (9) Glitter (5) Yeongung Jewang|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 9|
Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(1) I’M YOUR MOTHER beat four of these on her way to 3rd place at class and distance on December 29th. She looks nicely in again here and from the inside gate, can get on speed early and potentially lead all the way. (6) IRON COR was well backed at class and distance three weeks ago but put in a distinctly flat performance and finished last. He’s performed at the trip before and is probably worth another chance here. (2) MORNING KOREA was similarly lacklustre in the same race, but he too is better than that although he carries plenty of weight again – he beat I’m Your Mother when winning by a neck at this distance in November. (11) CHIEF ACE is yet to win but comes in having finished as runner-up in each of his latest three. He just missed out by a nose last time – beating Iron Cor – and can go close again. (5) VANJEFE looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) I’m Your Mother (11) Chief Ace (6) Iron Cor (2) Morning Korea|
|Next Best||5, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 11|
Race 11: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Competitive race to close with. British jockey Richard Oliver makes his Korean debut on (11) CORE BLADE and it’s not impossible that it could be a successful one. The filly is a winner of four from ten so far and is up in class having run a very close 2nd in her latest two, both at 1800M. She’s nicely weighted and while the draw is not ideal, she could lead all the way. (2) USEUNG HWANHO is also up in class after winning by seven-lengths over 1200M on December 16th. He steps up to this trip for the first time but that shouldn’t be a problem and he’s the likely favourite. (1) HANEOL NURI ran 3rd at 1200M last time and should be in the frame for at least a repeat while (5) SEGI GANGJA too showed signs of coming back into form last start and can be a danger. (3) UNSEOK won four in a row between March and July before running into the in-form pair of Sun Day and Oryong who beat him into 3rd place over a mile in August. He hasn’t raced since but trialled up competently two weeks ago and returning at 1400M here, makes for an interesting wildcard.
|Selections||(2) Useung Hwanho (11) Core Blade (5) Segi Gangja (1) Haneol Nuri|
|Next Best||3, 4, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 9, 10|