Dae Wan Man rallied late to land Seoul’s heat of the Juvenile Series 2nd leg on Saturday afternoon. On Sunday it’s Busan’s turn to stage its main lead up race for December’s Breeders’ Cup. The Gimhae Mayor’s Cup is the main event of a 6-race card at Busan which runs from 12:40 to 17:05. There is a alsso a full Sunday program in Seoul with 11 races from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Extremely weak maiden to begin with. (2) FAPP CAT is slow but might just be a little less slow than the rest of these. She ran 2nd in a similar race to this in August and although she only managed 6th when favourite on reappearance last month, is probably worth another go here. (3) MISS MOUNTAIN has been up and down across four starts so far but really should be going close in this company. (6) MONEY SHARP and (10) NEUL SAE ACHIM have both hinted at some ability and can compete here. IN such a weak race, debut-makers have to be given a chance and of the two who go here, (5) STUNNING AGAIN looks the more likely to make an immediate impact.
|Selections||(2) Fapp Cat (3) Miss Mountain (6) Money Sharp (5) Stunning Again|
|Next Best||10, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 8|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Slightly better fare on offer here and after running a decent enough 4th in his latest two outings, (1) UP LIGHT looks ready to push on and win this. He’’ settle just behind the early lead and should run on well. (4) BLACK SPIRIT hasn’t been too far away in her latest two either and should run well for an in-form stable. (8) BANGTANMA comes in having run creditably in two valuable juvenile races and should find the company more amenable here. (9) HANAMICHI and (3) FINAL CAPTAIN ran 2nd and 3rd when they raced each other on what was for both a second career start on September 15th. They both step up to this distance for the first time and can be competitive here.
|Selections||(1) Up Light (8) Bangtanma (4) Black Spirit (9) Hanamichi|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8|
Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) GONG SAN remains a maiden after eight attempts but comes in having run a good class and distance 2nd last time out and should be firmly in the hunt today. (8) DAE BYEONHWA was 4th that day and should go close again although a stiffer challenge may come from (10) LOVELY NUTE. She had a poor day at the office last time out a month ago but is proven at this class and distance and should be much better today. (1) RULER has a win and a 2nd place from two outings to date and steps up in trip for the first time here. She’ll be on pace early and should be dangerous. (9) GANGHWA CHONGGAK is another who has proven himself competitive at this level and will be in the hunt as well.
|Selections||(10) Lovely Nute (4) Gong San (1) Ruler (9) Ganghwa Chonggak|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 9, 11|
Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(12) HUIMANG STAR has been consistently close in recent starts and while she remains a maiden after ten attempts, that could change here. Her 4th place last time was in stiffer company than this and she has a chance. (1) MISS PYEONGCHON and (2) RULE OF SUM both enter with recent form reading well. Both are proven competitive at both class and distance and they look to be the main dangers. (3) WANY K is up in class having got her maiden victory at this distance last month. She can go well again but probably has a bit to find at this level. (7) SMARTY BLUE has been a touch disappointing in recent efforts and was beaten by two of these last time. That was first up after almost four months off and he can improve here.
|Selections||(12) Huimang Star (7) Smarty Blue (1) Miss Pyeongchon (2) Rule Of Sum|
|Next Best||3, 4, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7|
Race 5: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Competitive race which could go a number of ways. (10) PRIMO has been on the wrong side of a tight finish in both of her two latest outings, arriving on the scene just a touch late both times. She’ll be in the hunt again today and this time could get it right. (3) CHAPEL ACE is a winner of three from eight so far and ran well in defeat in a good race at this distance last time. He’s one of the main dangers along with (9) GLOBAL QUEEN, who finished 4th behind Chapel Ace at this distance at the beginning of September. Both of them have recently beaten (1) YEOKJEONUI SUNGAN. He goes well at this distance though and shouldn’t be too far away. (8) ULTRA CHAMPION is up in class following a three-length score at the end of last month and while the Gemologist gelding has a bit to find, if he can get to the front early, he has a chance.
|Selections||(10) Primo (3) Chapel Ace (8) Ultra Champion (1) Yeokjeonui Sungan|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 8, 9, 12|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) BIG FOOT beat three of these on his way to 2nd place at class and distance on September 28th, his first start at this level after winning a maiden by ten-lengths in August. He’ll lead here and should have too much. (7) SUPER GOLD was 3rd behind Big Foot in that September race on what for him was also a first outing since getting his maiden win and he could well get closest again. (6) GIJEOGUIMYEONGSEONG ran a good 3rd at class and distance just two weeks ago and should be aiming to at least match that today. (5) REALLY QUEEN, racing for the first time since June, and (8) BLUE DANCER, 4th behind Big Foot in that race last month look best of the rest.
|Selections||(4) Big Foot (7) Super Gold (6) Gijeoguimyeongseong (8) Blue Dancer|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Another wildly open race. (6) GARA GARA GA is the pick having beaten a couple of these on his way to a solid 3rd place at class and distance on September 30th. That added to a 4th on his first try at this level earlier last month and he’s well drawn to get to the lead early here and potentially go all the way. (4) PALDO DAEJANG’s 7th place on her latest start was a bit better than it looked. She’s a winner of two from five so far and will likely challenge Gara Gara Ga for the early lead and could be the main danger. (2) BAEKSAN GUNJU also went well for 5th last time a month ago and looks in the frame here. (9) MENI PARK and (11) THUNDER GREAT both come in off the back of close 2nd place finishes at 1400M and 1200M respectively and both have claims to get close again.
|Selections||(6) Gara Gara Ga (4) Paldo Daejang (9) Meni Park (2) Baeksan Gunju|
|Next Best||11, 12|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 12|
Busan Race 3: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) THUNDER DOME made all to win over 1200M at odds of 11/1 two weeks ago. That was his first run back following five months away and he drops back in trip today with decent claims on a repeat. (8) WINNER CINDY was a disappointing 7th when well backed at class and distance three weeks ago. She’s won two of her previous three heading into that race and is worth another chance today. Exceeding expectations in that same race was (1) CHANGJO DAERO, who ran on very nicely for 2nd and he is worthy of a little more respect today. (9) JJUUK and (11) MAY STAR are others who should be in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(2) Thunder Dome (8) Winner Cindy (9) JJuuk (11) May Star|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(7) MENI BLADE is a winner of two from five and while she gave herself too much to do on her last outing back in July, she made up ground well and looks to have potential. She comes in after three months off and looks the one to beat here. (6) JUMBO CAPTAIN is up in class after a nice looking three-length win over this distance at the end of last month. He should be better equipped for this level than (3) ONLY BARAM, who has won his latest two but may find it tough today. (4) JEJUI HEUKSEON has run well in two efforts at this level and should be in at least the placing frame. Neither (2) ECTON SINHWA nor (8) CUPID DOCTOR really showed their best on their respective last starts and both can improve here.
|Selections||(7) Meni Blade (6) Jumbo Captain (4) Jejui Heukson (8) Cupid Doctor|
|Next Best||2, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 8|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) CLEVER WILLIE only managed 2nd when sent off as odds-on favourite over 1000M on October 5th. He gets stuck into 1200M here for the first time since he ran 4th at it on debut and he could be smart enough here. (7) SINBIHAN JILJU was much better on his return to this distance two weeks ago, running a decent 2nd and is one of a number who should be in the frame here. (6) YEONGUNG JEWANG came 4th in the same race and can at least match today. (4) BOLD RULES and (5) MACHO MYEONGUN are others who come in having run improved 2nd place finishes in their latest efforts and who can play a role here, although the latter does find himself up in class. (11) HAESEONG STAR is seemingly coming back into form as well she shouldn’t be too far away.
|Selections||(9) Clever Willie (7) Sinbihan Jilju (11) Haeseong Star (6) Yeongung Jewang|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 9|
Seoul Race 8: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(6) GOLDEN WEDDING stepped up to this distance for the first time on September 9th and ran a strong 3rd in arguably tougher company than this. She remains a maiden after twelve attempts, but he could just put that right here. If she does come up short once again, (11) STRONG RUNNER could be the one who takes advantage. He too has taken to this distance well, finishing runner-up in both attempts at it so far. Both times he’s been well beaten by a good winner and he could go one better today. (9) GEOBOOGI MANSE beat three of these on his way to 3rd place at class and distance on September 29th and should be a threat again. (2) BARAM KING and (7) DEO JOEUN NAL are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(6) Golden Wedding (11) Strong Runner (9) Geoboogi Manse (2) Baram King|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 7|
Busan Race 5: Class Open “Gimhae Mayor’s Cup” (Listed) (1200M) Allowance / KRW 300 Million
- WONDERFUL LION – Got her maiden win at the third time of asking with a comfortable score over 1000M on September 28th. First time racing at further than the minimum distance. Not one of the favourites.
- YEONGGWANGUI SECRET – Three for three despite having yet to start as favourite. Two of those wins have been at 1300M, he’ll be close to the early pace here and has a chance.
- TOP OF WORLD – She’s won all three outings in fine fashion including one at this distance. Made all for an easy score on a wet track over 1300M on her latest start six weeks ago. Will look to lead and a big chance.
- DOCTOR TIZ – Ran 2nd to Yeonggwangui Fight on debut in the Gold Circle Trophy at the end of September. Encouraging start and top jockey on again, he could get close. Half-brother to Lucky Chunyang, who has won five from seven.
- LION SUN – By Lion Santa, a Lion Heart stallion who did his racing in Korea, he was a very quick winner on debut posting a sub 1-minute time for 1000M (unusual here). That won’t have convinced everyone and he won’t be among the favourites.
- GLITTER – One of two for trainer Kim Young-kwan, he got his maiden win at the third time of asking in September over 1300M. He’ll sit just behind the early pace here and while early indications are further may be better, he can’t be ruled out.
- KING SOCKS – The other Kim Young-kwan entry is unbeaten in two so far and was an all the way winner over 1300M. Made all in both starts and could well start as favourite.
- YEONGGWANGUI FIGHT – Odds-on favourite in the Gold Circle Trophy last month and he duly obliged. The only one of the field to have raced four times and he’s improved across each of them.
Verdict: Old rivals Peter Wolsley and Kim Young-kwan look set to go again here and it’s the Australian trainer’s (3) TOP OF WORLD who is slightly favoured to maintain her unbeaten start. She was mightily impressive over 1300M last time and if she gets the lead, it could be game-over. Kim’s (7) KING SOCKS is the greatest danger and he too has looked very good in two unbeaten outings. (2) YEONGGWANGUI SECRET and (8) YEONGGWANGUI FIGHT also look very solid prospects in what should be a very competitive race.
|Selections||(3) Top Of World (7) King Socks (2) Yeonggwangui Secret (8) Yeonggwangui Fight|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) WONDERFUL CHAMPION ran 4th in the HRI Trophy over 1400M on international weekend last month, prior to which he was a comfortable winner over this distance at the end of July. Back in May he got to within half a length of the very good Gangtoma and he’ll be strong favourite to win this, most likely leading all the way. Main danger is (1) JISANG BIHAENG, who ran a good 3rd at class and distance three weeks ago. He probably doesn’t have the speed to deal with Wonderful Champion but should still beat plenty. (2) ALPHAKAN never really got involved over 1200M at the end of last month but should go better back up in trip today. (3) DAEGUNHAM and (4) SOBAKANINSAENG are others who can be competitive in this company.
|Selections||(7) Wonderful Champion (1) Jisang Bihaeng (2) Alphakan (4) Sobakaninsaeng|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 7|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(3) KING OF ACE returned to winning ways last start but it was at 1400M and this looks a tougher ask today, although he finds himself weighted more favourably than on previous tries around two-turns. There will be no distance concerns for (4) ADELEUI CHUKJE, a winner over 2200M at the end of September with a couple of these trailing in behind. He could be tough to beat. (5) GAKBYEOLHAN also enters having won his latest, in his case over 2000M. It was back in June though, so he is returning following four months off. (1) SAENGIL GIPPEUM and (9) DONGBANG DAERO are both better than recent form suggests although both have to overcome high weights here.
|Selections||(4) Adeleui Chukje (3) King Of Ace (1) Saengil Gippeum (5) Gakbyeolhan|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 5|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1900M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(3) CLEAN UP BOARD ran 4th over 1700M when tackling two-turns for the first time three weeks ago. He finished off very well and he may just appreciate even more distance today. He could be the one to beat. (1) BLUE EMPIRE and (12) MALIBU BULPAE came home 2nd and 5th when they raced each other in a good race over 1700M in late August. Blue Empire went on to put in an unconvincing performance at 1400M four weeks ago and should be better up in trip today. Malibu Bulpae also looks to have potential to go well at this trip – he was somewhat surprisingly beaten by (2) GEOM HAENG at 1800M in July but looks to be an improver. (7) WONDERFUL JACKPOT and (8) HAENGBOGUL CHAJA look best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) Clean Up Board (1) Blue Empire (12) Malibu Bulpae (7) Wonderful Jackpot|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 150 Million
(6) TOSCONOVA CAT acquitted himself well in last month’s Korea Cup before running 4th over an extended 2300M three weeks later. He is perhaps surprisingly dropped back to seven furlongs here, but he looks very nicely in and can return to winning ways. As ever, with these one-turn class 1 handicaps, it’s ultra-competitive. (2) SANGGAM MAMA beat five of these on his way to an eight-length class and distance win on August 25th. He was predictably battered by the handicapper for that and carries an additional 4.5kg today but he must be respected – he is the track record-holder at this distance – and if he gets to the lead, may be difficult to dislodge. (8) ACE RUNNER was 2nd that day and can go well again but stiffer challenges may come from (7) ANOTHER SMART ONE, who returns to action for the first time since June and was very quick when winning a trial earlier this month. The ever-reliable (1) DAISYAN had an off-day last time out but can be given another chance here to make the places.
|Selections||(6) Tosconova Cat (7) Another Smart One (2) Sanggam Mama (1) Daisyan|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 12|