Well the typhoon completely missed Seoul but temperatures have eased off from the heatwave that has consumed the peninsula for the past month. We’re into the penultimate weekend of afternoon/evening racing now and there are 12 races at Seoul on Saturday from 14:25 to 21:00.
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
A competitive opener with lots in the hunt and (5) MAX THUNDER, who beat three of these on her way to 3rd place at the distance on July 21st has as much chance as any. She’s well-drawn to get off to a fast start here and at the tenth time of asking, this could be her day. (3) CUPID GANGJA steps back in trip after some reasonable efforts at 1300M. He’s the only one of the twelve to have as much as a 2nd place to his name (over 1700M) and he should be a danger. (6) MONEY SHARP has shown progression over three outings to date culminating in 3rd place last time and can continue his development here. (1) KAILLUM YEOJE and the debut-maker (7) TOUR BROTHER are others who could make an impression.
|Selections||(5) Max Thunder (6) Money Sharp (3) Cupid Gangja (7) Tour Brother|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
There are twelve juvenile fillies all racing for the very first time here. The most impressive in trials was (12) CHEONNYEON VIKING, who finished well clear of a couple of others who debut here in what was a fast time. She’s a half-sister to New Partner, who won four of his first six starts, and she can overcome the widest gate to go well first-up here. (1) GREEN DARC was the only one to actually win her trial, making all and looking easy on the eye in the process and she’ll have backers while (2) DADDY GLORY and (5) INDY LADY both performed creditably in their respective heats as well. For a longer shot, (8) MISS GELLA finished behind Daddy Glory in her trial but did lead for the first half of the heat and could improve on race day.
|Selections||(12) Cheonnyeon Viking (1) Green Darc (2) Daddy Glory (5) Indy Lady|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 11, 12|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(8) TAEWANG SINHWA is set to be a relatively warm favourite here. Although he was beaten by, among others, (10) MAIN EVENT when the latter ran 2nd over this distance at the end of June, he recovered to turn the tables on that one on his way to 3rd place again at this distance on July 28th. He just needs one more top three finish to find himself up in class 5 and he can settle behind the early speed and finish strongly. (5) MEGA CITY has been inconsistent across his four starts so far but registered a 3rd place at this distance at the end of April and while he disappointed in his only start since, can go better today. (2) SPECIAL DREAM too has run 3rd at the distance and while he was well back behind Taewang Sinhwa on his last start can also improve. (7) HWANSANGUI BIT steps back up in trip today and can go better than she did last time she tried this distance.
|Selections||(8) Taewang Sinhwa (5) Mega City (2) Special Dream (7) Hwansangui Bit|
|Next Best||10, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7|
Race 4: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) SAGWARANG ran a close 3rd on what was her first try at this class on July 21st. She was sent off favourite that day having broken her maiden with a nine-length all the way score a month earlier. She looks set for an easy lead here and once in front, she’ll be difficult to overhaul. (1) JUNGJEON MAMA is two starts into a comeback following nine months out and she looks to be getting back into the swing of things with a 3rd place at the distance last start. She’ll be a danger here. (8) LAST CONCERT drops back in trip following a good 3rd over 1300M on July 21st and she too should be in at least the placing hunt as will (4) CHUKBOGUI YEOLMAE and (7) VICAR SCOOP.
|Selections||(3) Sagwarang (1) Jungjeon Mama (8) Last Concert (7) Vicar Scoop|
|Next Best||4, 6|
Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) DAEGIL SANGJON returned from ten months off to record his maiden win over the distance on July 22nd and while up in class again, has solid claims to score again. He will settle just behind the early lead and could be too strong late on. It’s a competitive race though with both (9) ULTRA CHAMPION and (10) POX RANGER also up in class for the first time and while they both have a little more to find, can also be competitive. There are plenty with experience at this level to contend with too. (1) GANGHWA CHONGGAK comes in off a decent 4th over the distance last start in a similar strength race to this with (8) GONG SAN finishing just half a length further back. Both can go well here while (6) WITH FRIENDSHIP ran 3rd over 1300M at the end of June and returns slightly back in trip following eight weeks off and is another who should be in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(5) Daegil Sangjon (1) Ganghwa Chonggak (9) Ultra Champion (6) With Friendship|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 9|
Race 6: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
The very experienced (1) WHITE CUPID ran 2nd at class and distance on July 1st before dropping back to 1300M at the end of the month and finishing a decent 4th of 8. Back up in trip today, he’s a little one-paced but he can put himself in the middle of the field early and could well out-stay them all. (8) BARAM KING was 4th behind White Cupid in that 1300M race at the end of last month. That was his first go at the level following a maiden win over the same distance in June. Today he tries two turns for the first time and given the way he has run on well in recent outings, it could well suit. The similarly named (4) ONLY BARAM remains a maiden but has a class and distance 2nd to his name and can put in a shift here while (5) SPEED CAPTAIN steps up in class and distance after a maiden win at 1300M four weeks ago and can be a threat too.
|Selections||(1) White Cupid (8) Baram King (4) Only Baram (5) Speed Captain|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 9|
Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A class and distance winner on July 29th, (2) WOOSEORA ICHEON does carry an extra 3kg today but is perfectly capable of overcoming that and can win again. Last time, he came from just off the pace to hit the front a furlong from home and similar tactics will be expected today. Kim Yong Geun rode Wooseora Icheon to that victory but he gets on (11) MAGIC ROAD today. The filly has won two of five starts so far and ran a good 3rd at class and distance on July 22nd. She runs best from the front and if she can overcome the wide draw, she has strong claims. (3) ALL OF ME is up in class following a win over 1000M in mid-July and can be competitive with (1) PUREUN JILJU and (12) RAON ACE others to consider.
|Selections||(11) Magic Road (2) Wooseora Icheon (3) All Of Me (1) Pureun Jilju|
|Next Best||12, 8|
|Fast Start||9, 10, 12|
Race 8: Class 4 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Imported maiden juveniles get their chance here and five of the nine are racing for the first time. It’s to the experience we’ll look for the top choice though and (1) NAUI BICHIYEO is set to be strong favourite. He’s run 3rd and 2nd in two outings so far and the Mission Impazible colt should get to the lead from the gate and should get his maiden win here. Among the others who have raced before, both (2) EMORY SOCKS and (4) MUNHAK TIGER have shown promise and are likely to be well-supported to at least place. Among the first-time starters, Street Sense colt (8) MAENGJU looked the best in trials while (7) GAON JILJU, a stablemate of Naui Bichiyeo also did nothing wrong.
|Selections||(1) Naui Bichiyeo (4) Munhak Tiger (8) Maengju (2) Emory Socks|
|Next Best||7, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4|
Race 9: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(11) MUNHAK PRINCESS was overmatched in the Ttukseom Cup in June but still managed to beat six home. She then ran a decent 2nd to Panorama Show on July 14th at this distance. She hasn’t won since her debut in January but the Wilburn filly looks to have a good chance here. The wide draw shouldn’t matter as she can slot in to the middle of the pack and finish strongly. (8) OHTHE PAZIBILITIES comes in off the back of consecutive runner-up finishes, beating a few of these in the process and he can get close again today. Last time out, he beat both (5) V KHAN and (6) EMPIRE KINGDOM and both of those will be expected to get a little closer here. (2) MACHA BUCHA is up in class having won two of his latest three, both at 1000M. He’ll be on pace here and another win isn’t impossible.
|Selections||(11) Munhak Princess (8) Ohthe Pazibilities (2) Macha Bucha (6) Empire Kingdom|
|Next Best||5, 7, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 9, 10|
Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) HONEY BUTTER NINO beat four of these on his way to victory at class and distance on July 21st. He only carries an additional kilo here and is slightly favoured to win again, likely trying to lead from gate to wire. (8) SOBAKANINSAENG was an unlikely 2nd that day and the experienced six-year-old can go well once more while both (3) YESANGBAEK SEUNG and especially (4) STAR POWER, who both finished further back in that race will be expected to do much better here. Among those who didn’t go that day, (5) NEW PARTNER looks the best. She’s never raced at further than 1400M before but should be on pace early and could pull off a surprise.
|Selections||(7) Honey Butter Nino (5) New Partner (4) Star Power (8) Sobakaninsaeng|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7|
Race 11: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(9) GANGTOMA has won five out of seven so far (and was first across the line in one of the other two only to be disqualified) and looks to be class 1 bound sooner rather than later. He was last seen winning by nine-lengths over 1400M four weeks ago and while this is his first try around two turns and at this level, he looks very hard to beat. (2) JEONGAN KINGDOM was 2nd on his first try at this level at the end of last month and can look to at least repeat here. (6) NONGBON DAERO, who won five in a row between January and May, is up in class after a narrow score at this distance on July 8th and will be a danger too. (3) HWANGGEUM SORI and (7) HWAGANG are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(9) Gangtoma (6) Nongbon Daero (2) Jeongan Kingdom (7) Hwagang|
|Next Best||3, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 8, 10|
Race 12: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
Six of these raced each other at class and distance on July 22nd and while (11) SANGGAM MAMA came out on top among them that day, finishing in 3rd place, we’ll go with (7) WINNER GOLD, who was a half length back in 4th, to overturn that form. Winner Gold has won six of nine starts so far, including at class and distance, and while he couldn’t quite get on pace from a wide draw last time, he should be able to today. Sanggam Mama remains the track record holder at this distance and can’t be ruled out and nor can (8) BRIGHT CAT, who was 5th in that race. (12) JANGSAN POWER was 3rd behind Winner Gold when the latter win in June and should be a threat while (3) CUPID POWER is better than recent form suggests and could improve today.
|Selections||(7) Winner Gold (12) Jangsan Power (11) Sanggam Mama (3) Cupid Power|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 11|