There’s no racing at Seoul this weekend with the capital’s track taking its one-week summer vacation, however, that means there is a rare Saturday card at Busan with 8 races from 16:30 to 21:00. There is also an afternoon pony-racing card on Jeju Island kicking off at 14:00. (Seoul Racecourse is open for simulcasting from both). Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(7) OS HILL has gone progressively closer across four starts to date, culminating in 2nd place last time out, beating two of these in the process. She should be away to a fast start here and have too much for this weak set of opponents. (3) ARIYA and (8) ROCK HARD QUEEN were the two who were beaten by Os Hill that day and while they only managed to finish 6th and 8th respectively, Ariya especially can get closer today. However, a more credible challenge may come from (1) SEONBAL CAT, who steps back in trip today following recent tries at further. Again the start will be important but she has offered some glimpses of talent. As has (2) TAMNA HANEUL, who looks best of the rest on the strength of a 4th from 7 two starts ago.
|Selections||(7) Os Hill (3) Ariya (1) Seonbal Cat (8) Rock Hard Queen|
|Next Best||2, 4, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 7|
Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(6) TRIPLE GOLD ran an improved 3rd, her best finish in nine outings to date, last start a month ago at this distance. She began poorly that day but finished off well in what was probably tougher company than this and she is in with a chance here. Plenty of others are too. (1) ROYAL TREE struggled last time at 1300M but was 2nd that start before that and can go close here, likely trying to lead from the gate. (2) GIRL CRUSH debuted indifferently all the way back in February and hadn’t been seen again until trialing encouragingly in mid-July. She’ll be expected to be better this time. (5) SEUNGNI STORY and debut-maker (7) BRIAN PARK are others to take into account.
|Selections||(1) Royal Tree (6) Triple Gold (2) Girl Crush (7) Brian Park|
|Next Best||5, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(7) DARK TEMPLAR beat (5) GOLDUI INYEON and (1) MIRACLE ALICE as the three of them came home 3rd, 4th and 5th at this distance on June 8th. Dark Templar had seven-lengths on them that day but all three have raced once since with all three running well once more. Dark Templar is marginally favored to prevail although it should be closer than seven-lengths this time. She’ll likely try for the early speed along with Miracle Alice and (2) SOJUNGHAN GIRL, who came home just behind Miracle Alice in a close finish on July 13th and who, while inconsistent, also runs well on her day. (4) HWANGGEUM BEOLMA finished half a length behind Goldui Inyeon three weeks ago, again at this distance, and can get close once more.
|Selections||(7) Dark Templar (1) Miracle Alice (4) Hwanggeum Beolma (5) Goldui Inyeon|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7|
Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) SAKISAKI has been knocking at the door for a while now and that door could finally open here. She wasn’t far away last time at the distance and with a top jockey on board, this could be her day. (2) JITTERBUG was a good four-length winner at the distance at class 6 in June and while she had a hard time on her first try at this class three weeks ago, she had excuses and can be given another chance today. (1) EONJEONA SEUNGNI ran well for 3rd at class and distance last start and can back that up here while (3) JOYFUL MEMORY and (10) HEUGSEOL GONGJU, the latter up in class having secured her maiden win at the tenth time of asking, look best of the rest.
|Selections||(8) Sakisaki (2) Jitterbug (1) Eonjena Seungni (3) Joyful Memory|
|Next Best||10, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 4|
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(11) EURO GONGJU beat three of these on her way to 2nd place at class and distance three weeks ago. She was an outsider that day ran very well and while her style as a steady starter is perhaps not ideal at this distance, that also means the wide draw isn’t a factor and she has as good a chance as any. (6) NICE HUMOR was 3rd in that race and will be a danger. In contrast to Euro Gongju, he’ll go to the lead. As will (3) THUNDER ALLEY, who remains a maiden after eight attempts but has been getting closer lately and was a good 2nd last start. A stable-mate of Nice Humor, (8) FELICE enters off a close 4th at the distance just two weeks ago and can go close here. (2) BAEDARI MUNNING’s latest efforts impressed nobody but he was surprisingly good in a trial last week and is the wildcard.
|Selections||(11) Euro Gongju (6) Nice Humor (3) Thunder Alley (8) Felice|
|Next Best||2, 1, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 9|
Race 6: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A winner of two of five and stepped up to 1800M. (2) CHEONNYEONUI BADA was favourite for her first try at this class on June 24th. She had a nightmare from start to finish, jumping out of the gate badly and running worse. She’s had six weeks off since, is dropped back to a mile and surely goes better today. (6) WHIPLASH MARINE is up in class following a four-length win over 1400M two weeks ago. She’s performed creditably at this trip already and should go close. (4) BIJANGUI MUGI races for the first time since last September. She looked good when winning a July trial and may be considered first up. (3) AGNES returns from almost as long out and she too looked competent in re-qualifying.
|Selections||(2) Cheonnyeonui Bada (6) Whiplash Marine (4) Bijangui Mugi (3) Agnes|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7|
Race 7: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(2) BLUE FLAG enters having run a solid 4th of 16 in the Korean Oaks three weeks ago. She has won four of her six starts prior to that and while she was beaten by (7) PARK MAN at this distance in June, she’ll be strongly fancied to overturn that form today. Park Man can be a danger although he didn’t especially impress in running 4th at a mile a month ago so (6) CHOEGANG THUNDER is the second choice. He’s won three of nine so far including a battling triumph over a mile at this level last start on July 1st. He’s up slightly in distance here but can push the favourite. (1) GEOWIUI KKUM and (3) ANY NINE both enter off useful 2nd place finishes at a mile in their respective latest starts and both can challenge for the places here.
|Selections||(2) Blue Flag (6) Choegang Thunder (7) Park Man (3) Any Nine|
|Next Best||1. 4|
|Fast Start||2, 6|
Race 8: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
US import (4) IRON COR got his maiden win when stepped up to a mile for just his second starts on May 18th. The Orb gelding has been off since then but comes in here with solid chances of a repeat. The other leading contender is locally-bred (5) CATCH NINE. After four near-misses, she too broke her maiden when sent up to a mile for the first time with an emphatic class 5 victory at the start of June, making all. She didn’t have much of an impact in the Korean Oaks three weeks ago at 1800M but back down in distance today, she can get on speed early and has every chance. Those two should be disputing the win between them although (6) YONGGU ran a good 3rd behind Choegang Thunder and World Day at class and distance on July 1st and could play a role here. Meanwhile, (2) JILJU CHOEGANG showed promise when 3rd at 1400M at the end of June and steps up in trip for what will be his third career start.
|Selections||(5) Catch Nine (4) Iron Cor (2) Jilju Choegang (6) Yonggu|
|Fast Start||5, 6|