* Update: After a prohibited substance was detected in feed, horses who may have been exposed to it have been scratched from their races as a precaution – currently four trainers affected.
Another big weekend of racing in Korea is in store with the current hottest name on the peninsula, Cheongdam Dokki, headlining the Herald Business Cup at Seoul on Sunday. Things get underway at Busan on Friday with 10 races from 11:30 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Not a huge amount of form to go on here so we’ll side with (1) DREAM CAT. She debuted all the way back in November last year but wasn’t seen again until looking good in a trial on the last day of March. That performance is enough to put her on top here. She led for much of that trial and will look to lead here along with (2) HEUGSEOL GONGJU, who missed the kick last time but does have a 3rd and 4th to her name and can do better here. Thomas Gillespie’s (5) ROYAL BLUE is another likely to look to lead. While he hung-in early on his debut in February, it was a much better performance than 7th place suggests, and improvement will be expected. (7) SMART DANCER registered a couple of 3rd places from four outings last year. She trialled up creditably behind Dream Cat and can go well first up. There are four debut-makers and among them, (10) DARK TEMPLAR looks the pick.
|Selections||(1) Dream Cat (7) Smart Dancer (5) Royal Blue (10) Dark Templar|
|Next Best||2, 12, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(5) WINNING AGAIN has weakened twice over 1300M but sandwiched between those two, was a strong performance at this distance on March 2nd when she finished a solid 2nd. Back in trip today, she can get to the lead from a favourable draw and can win. Similarly, (6) GRACIELA has twice run well at this distance and steps back after a tough time over 1300M last start. (10) NEW QUEEN proved a bit of a pain for her jockey last time but still ran a much-improved 3rd. Franco Da Silva takes the ride today and if she can run a bit straighter, she’ll be in the frame. (8) BEOLMA CHEONHA ran 5th behind Winning Again in that March 2nd race and could get closer. (1) KING’S POWER returns for the first time since last October and trialled up reassuringly.
|Selections||(5) Winning Again (10) New Queen (6) Graciela (8) Beolma Cheonha|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 8, 11|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(11) SINGAEBYEOK just missed out by a nose when favourite at 1000M on February 2nd. That was his second start having been 3rd on debut at the same distance in January. He comes in here after eleven weeks off up in trip, and likely to take some beating. (1) WONDERFUL MEMORY could only manage 3rd when favourite of seven over this distance on March 16th, hanging outwards around the turn and into the straight. The jockey that day attributed that to the colt being sensitive in the mouth – a not uncommon issue here. She had run 2nd the time before though so does have talent and looks the most credible threat. (12) GAMDONGUI SUNGAN was just a head back in 4th in that race behind Wonderful Memory five weeks ago and can be involved here. (2) STORM GOLD also ran 4th at the distance last start and can at least match it here. (3) GOLDUI INYEON, making just her second start, looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(11) Singaebyeok (1) Wonderful Memory (2) Storm Gold (3) Goldui Inyeon|
|Next Best||12, 8|
|Fast Start||4, 10|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(9) GOLDEN WAVES has been getting progressively closer across six starts so far and looks to still have scope for improvement He’s not a fast starter but runs on well and if he gets dropped into a position with a chance here, he can win. Last time on March 23rd, Golden Waves finished in 3rd place, ahead of (12) CHEOLBI in 5th and (11) GRAY STORM in 7th. This two have also both raced six times and showed some promise with Cheolbi perhaps the biggest threat to Golden Waves here. He was a touch unlucky in running last time and can get closer today. (2) HANEOLUI BIT was an improved 3rd on his first try at this distance three weeks ago. He could well be on the early speed today and can stay on. (10) MR. COLORS was unspectacular but solid enough in two starts last month and should beat a few.
|Selections||(9) Golden Waves (12) Cheolbi (2) Haneolui Bit (11) Gray Storm|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 11|
Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) SINBIHAN BARAM was an all-the-way winner over 1000M on debut on March 2nd and while he is up in both class and distance here, a repeat isn’t impossible. It won’t be easy, but he shouldn’t find it too difficult to get to the lead early and once he does, anything can happen. (6) DAMYANG GONGJU comes in following narrow back-to-back defeats at this class at 1000M and 1300M respectively and could well get it right today. (1) TWO TWO ACE ran very well in 2nd in arguably a stiffer contest than this at class and distance three weeks ago and must be considered while (8) I’M ADELE drops back in trip after recent positive work at a mile and should be in the placing frame. (9) ATOMIJI best of the rest.
|Selections||(6) Damyang Gongju (7) Sinbihan Baram (1) Two Two Ace (8) I’m Adele|
Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) GEUMSURYEONG went down by a nose to Great Rock in a photo-finish over 1300M last month with the pair eight lengths clear of the rest. There’s nothing on Great Rock’s level here and Geumsuryeong should be very hard to beat. (2) YEOWANGUI JEONGWON was a long-shot class and distance winner on March 11th and while she will need to improve plenty if she is to challenge the favourite, she can go well again. (3) JANGHAN JILJU is up in class having won a weak race at 1000M back in January. He’s had fifteen weeks off and should be able to cope at this level. (6) HWARANGUI HUYE was favourite at a mile four weeks ago but finished a lacklustre 5th having led early. The drop back in trip today may be of benefit.
|Selections||(8) Geumsuryeong (6) Hwarangui Huye (2) Yeowangui Jeongwon (3) Janghan Jilju|
|Next Best||7, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 8|
Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) CHRISTIANO has come good since returning from five months out, winning her two starts since comfortably enough from the front. She is up in class here and also marginally in distance, but she has every chance of completing her hat-trick. (8) SINHYEOKMYEONG is two starts into a comeback from an even lengthier absence. He won the first of those by an eye-catching nine-lengths but could only manage 3rd when favourite at class and distance on March 23rd. He’s a front-runner too and can certainly give Christiano a run for her money. (5) ADELEUI BOM ran a good 2nd at 1200M three weeks ago and should go well again while (1) WINNING NUMBER has been on the fringes of the paces in his recent starts and the seventy-race veteran could pick up more minor money here. Another experienced one, (4) SINCHEON YEOMANG is also capable of beating a few of these.
|Selections||(3) Christiano (8) Sinhyeokmyeong (5) Adeleui Bom (1) Winning Number|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 8|
Race 8: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Tricky one this. (8) SEOGANGDAERO was well-backed at the distance on March 9th but ran poorly and was subsequently found to be slightly lame. His form had been reading well prior to that and back fit again, he has as much chance as any here. (3) FINE POWER races sparingly but comes up in class following 2nd place at the distance a month ago and looks to have the potential to develop even more. (7) I’M YOUR MOTHER beat (2) HAETBAL as the pair of them came home 2nd and 4th over 1400M on March 18th. I’m Your Mother steps up to a mile for the first time and it may well suit. (9) JOYFUL STORY got his maiden win at the seventeenth time of asking on March 16th and while he is up in class here, can be competitive again.
|Selections||(8) Seogangdaero (7) I’m Your Mother (3) Fine Power (2) Haetbal|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||8, 9|
Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
This one is as wide open as the handicaps tend to be. (11) HANEOL NURI beat (2) BAY KINGS and (5) GALILEE HO when scoring at class and distance on March 2nd. The other two then reversed that form over 1900M three weeks ago. There was less than a length and a half between them that day and the three of them should be battling it out between them for top honours this time Galilee Ho looks to be finally getting back into the swing of things three starts into a return from a lengthy absence while Bay Kings is a consistent performer at this level but we’ll side with Haneol Nuri this time. As for the rest, (1) PARK MAN is up in class and takes on two turns for the first time, following a win over 1300M last start. He’s very nicely weighted here and could go close.
|Selections||(11) Haneol Nuri (2) Bay Kings (5) Galilee Ho (1) Park Man|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||9, 11|
Race 10: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Five of these raced each other over class and distance on March 23rd. (7) YEONGTO DAEWANG came out the best of them, finishing 3rd with (5) BARAMUI HEUNJEOK and (9) GABOGAPJJANG not far away. However, it was Gabogabjjang’s first start for almost nine months and he was longest shot on the board. The run he put in was encouraging enough to suggest that if he comes on even a small amount from it, he can win this time. The other two can go close again as can (10) WORLD LOVE who was further back that day although a bigger threat may be (8) TAEYANGUI SINHWA. Kim Young Kwan’s gelding is up in class but should be good enough to compete in this company. (4) SEGI GANGJA also ran well last time and is not without hope here.
|Selections||(9) Gabogapjjang (8) Taeyangui Sinhwa (10) World Love (4) Segi Gangja|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||5, 7|