Sunday sees 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 6 races at Busan from 12:40 to 17:05. Here are the previews (Busan selections at bottom):
Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(3) RAON SIRIUS looked to be making all over 1200M on February 25th, only to be comfortably overhauled by a good favourite and ending up in 2nd. Johan Victoire rode the winner that day and this time he can guide Raon Sirius to the front once more and potentially all the way. (6) GONG SAN was a promising enough 6th of 11 over this distance on debut a month ago and can come on for that here. Antonio Da Silva had a good March and he can get April off to a positive start on (2) KHENDUM POWER, who drops back in trip following a couple of decent efforts around 1700M while (9) BIG AURORA, who tries this trip for the first time, and (12) MIDAS CHIEF, who is one start into a comeback following nine months out, are others to consider.
|Selections||(3) Raon Sirius (6) Gong San (2) Khendum Power (12) Midas Chief|
|Next Best||10, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 7|
Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
After exceeding expectations with 3rd place on debut, (4) HANYANG GONGJU came up short when favourite on reappearance at 1300M on March 3rd. However, her 2nd place that day warrants another chance and she really should be getting it right this time. She’ll be strong favourite ahead of (5) O.K. DAY and (6) GARA GARA GA, both of whom have shown promise across two start each so far with the latter slightly favoured at this point. (3) LEADER’S CAMP didn’t disgrace herself when finishing 6th of 12 on debut at the end of February and may benefit from an additional furlong today while (11) GOLD STREET was an improved 4th when tried at further than the minimum for the first time on March 4th and can match or better that here.
|Selections||(4) Hanyang Gongju (3) Leader’s Camp (6) Gara Gara Ga (5) O.K. Day|
|Next Best||11, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7|
Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(6) HAMBAK MISO was sent off as the odds-on favourite on debut on March 3rd and duly obliged, winning comfortably over 1000M. He is up in class and distance today and should be competitive. He won’t be favourite, however, because (5) DOKDO JIGI returns for the first time since Christmas Eve. Dokdo Jigi was a fast winner on debut over 1000M before running 2nd to the very good Gaon Champ on reappearance in November. He was 5th of 8 in a very strong juvenile race on Christmas Eve before being diagnosed with a fetlock joint disease. Back now, if he is anything like he was before, he should win. (3) ROYAL BOKSUNI enters having run 3rd and 4th in her latest two and can be close again. (4) MONEY ZIF is up in class following a good win over 1300M a month ago and should figure at some point while (9) STRONG MAN has also shown ability at this class and should get close.
|Selections||(5) Dokdo Jigi (6) Hambak Miso (9) Strong Man (3) Royal Boksuni|
|Next Best||4, 2, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 5|
Race 4: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) THE QUEEN GRACE was a touch disappointing running 6th of 12 when second-favourite over the distance on February 25th. That wasn’t a bad race though and she already has a 2d place to her name at class and distance and can go one better here. Speaking of 2nd place finishes, that’s fast becoming (3) CHEONJI BOBAE’s specialty, having been runner-up in four of five outings to date, all at this distance, with the latest one having been at this class. Another 2nd today would be no surprise at all and would be a par finish for her. (7) DAECHEON ACE may appreciate the drop back in trip to the distance at which his sole victory to date arrived at while (10) LUCKY BONGHWA and the up in class (12) RICH MINE are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(2) The Queen Grace (3) Cheonji Bobae (10) Lucky Bonghwa (7) Daecheon Ace|
|Next Best||6, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 12|
Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) LUCKY CHUNYANG is up in class following back to back wins over 1300M and is one of several in the frame in this competitive handicap. (3) HAEORABI is yet to win after five attempts but has never been worse than 4th and has an excellent chance of coming close here. He ran 4th behind fellow maiden (12) WHANGHORAN JILJU in February before the latter went on to equal her best result to date with 2nd place over 1000M a month ago. Both are in the hunt again. (7) PARK SOCKS could only manage 7th in a tougher race than this at the end of February but has shown ability and can get close while (2) ACE KING was similarly unimpressive when tried at 1700M last time but should be much better dropped back to a more suitable trip today.
|Selections||(5) Lucky Chunyang (3) Haeorabi (7) Park Socks (12) Whanghoran Jilju|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 9, 10|
Race 6: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) SUN LIGHTING looked out of sorts on his first start of 2018, having gained almost 20kg since his previous start and he only managed to finish 6th in what was admittedly a good race. He showed plenty of talent in winning twice as a juvenile though so while it will be important to take a look at him on the way to the gate, he can win this. (8) GLOBAL BANK is up in class following a solid win over 1300M at the end of February and will be dangerous again. He and another up in class one, (3) RAON PORTEOUS, should be on the early pace and both are capable of going all the way. (12) I.B.S. MARINE had a hard time when tried at 1700M on his first attempt at this class back in January. Returning from twelve weeks off and back down in trip today, he should be better.
|Selections||(7) Sun Lighting (8) Global Bank (3) Raon Porteous (12) I.B.S. Marine|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 10|
Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) LET’S YEONGCHEON stepped up to two-turns at the end of February and made all over this distance for an impressive win. He’s up in class today but has coped admirably with everything he has been asked to do so far and there is no reason why he can’t go well again today, and it looks like he has been craftily entered here against some inexperienced imports. He’ll be joined on the early pace by (5) MALIBU BULPAE, who is sent up in trip on just his third start and looks to have plenty of promise despite an underwhelming 3rd place at 1300M last time. Dialed In colt (9) KILIUI JEWANG is also an early adopter of two-turns, going straight up in trip after a promising debut at 1200M. (4) MIGHTY JOHN enters off a decent 2nd place at class and distance and must be respected while (7) HAENAEMA is another in with a chance.
|Selections||(3) Let’s Yeongcheon (5) Malibu Bulpae (9) Kiliui Jewang (4) Mighty John|
|Next Best||7, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 10|
Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
The modestly-named (11) BRILLIANT has been, if not brilliant, at least quite good in winning his latest two outings by nine and four lengths respectively. He is up in class and distance today for what is his toughest assignment so far, but he could well come through it. (10) STAR POWER unexpectedly beat (5) TAMNA KING as the pair came home 1st and 2nd over 1800M on February 25th. It was a great finish from Star Power who came from 9th to 1st in the home straight to win by a full five lengths. It wouldn’t be a surprise if Tamna King were to overturn the form today and both should be serious contenders. (8) PHOENIX HEART, a winner at this distance at class 5, and (12) NAM SON, a promising type who tries this trip for the first time, are others to take into consideration.
|Selections||(11) Brilliant (5) Tamna King (10) Star Power (8) Phoenix Heart|
|Next Best||12, 3, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 9, 11|
Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Another very competitive handicap with any number of potential winners. (4) SHARP KAYLAN ran a decent 4th in the Sports Seoul Cup a month ago and today steps up to 1800M for the first time with every chance of running well, most likely from the front. (5) YESANGBAEK SEUNG is already established around two-turns with a 2nd and pair of 3rd place finishes from her latest two and she looks a prime contender as does (2) FIRE WIND. The colt actually beat Shapr Kaylan in a valuable juvenile race last December and is up in class today having made all to win at this distance at the end of February. Those three should head the market but don’t rule out strong showings from (1) HAETBINNA, who is much better than recent form suggests, and (6) HIBIKI.
|Selections||(4) Sharp Kaylan (6) Hibiki (2) Fire Wind (5) Yesangbaek Seung|
|Next Best||1, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Race 10: Class 1 (1900M) Handicap / KRW 150 Million
It’s risky to name your horse (2) UNBEATABLE and this one hasn’t won fifteen races. However, it could well be his day here. He comes in following very solid performances in similar races at 2000M and 2300M and the eight-year-old could be making his way to the winner’s circle for the first time since June 2016. (1) PLACES TO GO was a surprise winner at this class over 1800M in February and, carrying a similarly negligible weight today, must be firmly in the frame again. (11) CHEONGDAM DAERO and (8) CHANMA came home in 4th and 6th place respectively that day (February 24th) and both will be expected to get closer this time. (7) BICHUI JEONGSANG, a winner over 1800M at this class on Christmas Eve, and (10) BANYA DONGHAENG look best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Unbeatable (1) Places To Go (11) Cheongdam Daero (8) Chanma|
|Next Best||7, 10, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 5|
Race 11: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Since an underwhelming debut, (12) WINNER GOLD has won four in a row including a two-length score at class and distance last time out and the Wildcat Heir colt has every chance of making in five in a row today. (6) GIO STAR came from a long way back to win well over 1200M last start and is accordingly up in class today. He’s had an interrupted career but has plenty of talent which is now starting to come through with a string of runs under his belt and he should be the main danger. (2) KENTUCKY YEONIN has just lost her way a little in her latest two but the step up in trip today may benefit. (5) CHOEGO MONEY on the other hand, steps back in trip and should be in contention too. (8) BUNGMA DREAM, 5th behind Winner gold last start, looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(12) Winner Gold (6) Gio Star (5) Choego Money (2) Kentucky Yeonin|
|Next Best||8, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 10|
Race 1: 7, 6, 2, 8
Race 2: 6, 4, 7, 2
Race 3: 6, 3, 11, 8
Race 4: 3, 6, 8, 7
Race 5: 1, 7, 2, 8
Race 6: 10, 7, 9, 6