Silver Wolf headlines Seoul’s feature while Today, Doraonpogyeongseon and Perdido Pomeroy face off at Busan on a big Sunday of racing in Korea. There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 12:40 to 17:05.
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(2) JUNGLE BEAT ran very nicely for 2nd place on debut three weeks ago and Simon Foster’s filly looks hard to beat in this maiden for three-year-olds. She can set up camp just behind the early lead and if she runs like she did first-up, should be too strong late on. (9) HANSEN VOLT has shown some ability across two starts so far and should be looking to at least match the 3rd place he scored on his second outing a month ago. He’s another who perhaps won’t be the quickest out of the gate but can finish well. (12) FRENCH STAR looked competent enough on debut running 6th of 12 behind Hansen Volt and can improve today. (10) SANTOS and the solitary first-timer, (11) STAR LIST look to be others to follow.
|Selections||(2) Jungle Beat (9) Hansen Volt (12) French Star (10) Santos|
|Next Best||11, 4, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens again, this time with two debut-makers and both look to be in with a decent chance first-up. (7) MENI BLADE won a trial back in January ahead of (9) TAEWANG SINHWA, who went on to race encouragingly first-up. She should be on the early speed here and should be a threat. The other first-timer is (10) SMARTY BLUE, who showed at the front in his trial and ran on well enough to suggest he has a chance too. If racecourse experience is preferred, then (6) HAENGBOK STAR looks to be the pick. He was 4th on debut at 1000M a month ago but the margins were not huge, and he ran on nicely suggesting that the extra furlong today will be in his favour. (2) MERLIN and (8) ADELE JEONGSANG are others who may improve.
|Selections||(6) Haengbok Star (7) Meni Blade (10) Smarty Blue (8) Adele Jeongsang|
|Next Best||2, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 3 Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
It’s about time (8) MIGHTY COOL won a race. She’s zero for thirteen but recent performances suggest she has one in her and it could well be today. She was a decent 3rd last time in what was by no means a good race, but it was stronger than this and so long as she doesn’t leave herself too much to do, she can finally get off the mark. (5) RUN AWAY was behind Mighty Cool that day and she too remains a maiden. She is inconsistent but, in this company, should be looking to at least place. (9) GANADORA looks the greater threat though. She’s only raced four times so far and has shown promise with a 2nd and 3rd place at 1300M and 1700M respectively in her latest two. She’s likely to be on the early speed here and can go very close. (7) SEOUL STAR and (11) MAJJABEUN SON are others in at least the hunt for places.
|Selections||(8) Mighty Cool (9) Ganadora (5) Run Away (11) Majjabeun Son|
|Next Best||7, 4|
|Fast Start||7, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) WONDERFUL JACKPOT was 3rd in both the Gyeonggi Govenor’s and Gwacheon Mayor’s Cups last autumn, Seoul’s top two juvenile races, before trying his luck in the Breeders’ Cup, the nation’s biggest race for two-year-olds, in December. That latter effort didn’t go well, and he’s not raced since but returns here with an excellent chance of making his way back to the winner’s circle. This is the distance at which he got his only win to date and he can settle behind the early speed and come through in the latter part of the race. (12) THUNDER MARINE looks to have decent potential and enters following 3rd place at this distance three weeks ago on what was his first try at this class following a maiden win over 1000M in February. He’ll be looking to work his way to the front from the outside gate along with (9) WILD DRAGON, who is up in class following a comfortable two-length win at this distance a month ago and has little to fear here. Another up in class pair, (6) HAPPY MAUNTAIN and (7) RAON PRIMER look best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Wonderful Jackpot (12) Thunder Marine (9) Wild Dragon (6) Happy Maintain|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||7, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Hard to look past (5) BIG EAR here. She did come up short when 2nd over 1300M last start and 5th in her previous race at 1200M, both times as favourite, but dropped back to the minimum trip today, a distance at which she utterly romped home on debut, she shouldn’t be beaten. (3) GLOBAL QUEEN was a winner on debut all the way back on Christmas Day 2016. She hasn’t raced since, but she looked very sharp in a trial at the beginning of this month and comes straight back into contention. (1) CHEONHA HYEONGGUK was a solid 4th at class and distance last time and should be in the hunt again while (7) JEONGSANG ETTEUM and (10) LEAD UP look to be in the placing frame.
|Selections||(5) Big Ear (3) Global Queen (1) Cheonha Hyeongguk (7) Jeongsang Etteum|
|Next Best||10, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 10, 12|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) HWARANGUI HUYE enters in good form with a very good 2nd to Haengun Story last start at class and distance. He should be prominent early and has every chance of staying on to win in what is a nicely competitive race. (7) BULMYEORUIMARIPGAN came close to getting his first win two weeks ago but had to settle for a second consecutive runner-up finish. An honest type, he will surely be there or thereabouts once more. (3) FAST AWAY is up in both class and distance following a maiden win over 1300M a month ago. He has raced once at this distance before and it didn’t go well but he looks much more prepared now. (4) FINE POWER races for the first time since December but finished off last year with decent showings at the distance. (2) KIRK MINISTER returned from five months out to run a creditable enough 6th of 12 behind Hwarangui Huye in February and can improve today.
|Selections||(1) Hwarangui Huye (7) Bulmyeoruimaripgan (2) Kirk Minister (4) Fine Power|
|Next Best||2, 8, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(1) GEUMEUN JUOK enters having won her latest three in fine style, all at this distance. She carries more weight than she has done before but shouldn’t have too much trouble seeing off this lot, probably leading gate to wire. (7) LUXURY HAPPY’s recent form reads well and she probably has the best chance of pushing the favourite. She ran a decent 3rd ahead of a couple of these at the distance last start. (9) NEW HIGH TIME was 6th of 10 on her return from eight months off two weeks ago. She should have come on for the run and can get closer today. (5) GOLD FASHION can be forgiven her latest at 1300M and should come into the placing equation while it’s a similar story with (6) BEST YEJI, who didn’t manage to show her true ability from a wide draw on her first try at this level last time but can go better today.
|Selections||(1) Geumeun Jueok (7) Luxury Happy (9) New High Time (6) Best Yeji|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||6, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Four of these raced each other over class and distance on March 9th and among them it was (3) DELMARUI GIJEOK who somewhat surprisingly (he was 8th in the betting) came out the best of them, finishing 2nd. Perhaps it shouldn’t have been too much of a surprise though as he had registered back to back 3rd places in his two starts prior to that – again ahead of some who go here – and he needs a lot more respect today. (9) CHOEGANG POWERFUL was more fancied that day and he ran to his odds, finishing 3rd. It was another miss and he should close again today with many likely to fancy his chances of overturning the form. (7) WHIIK, who was 4th that day and finishing behind Choegang Powerful for the second time in a row, also has a chance of getting closer this time. Among the ones who didn’t go in that race, (2) WONDERFUL CAPTAIN and (10) GLOBAL JILJU look the picks.
|Selections||(3) Delmarui Gijeok (9) Choegang Powerful (2) Wonderful Captain (7) Whiik|
|Next Best||10, 8, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 12|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Small field here but competitive with two standouts. (6) MIDAS WAY comes in having been 2nd in his latest two, both times behind good horses (Musa and Let’s Yeongcheon), the latest at 1700M. He’s up to 1800M for the first time and he can get it right this time. (1) DAESEUNG BIBEOB is the other top pick. He has taken to two turns very nicely with a win and two 3rd place finishes in from his most recent three starts and can come from off the pace to be a big danger here. It would be a surprise if those two don’t fill out the quinella but there are others in the hunt too. (2) CHOWON BOLT registered a useful 4th at the distance while (4) GWANGYA BULGIDUNG, who starts for the first time this year, may have a say too.
|Selections||(6) Midas Way (1) Daeseung Bibeob (2) Chowon Bolt (4) Gwangya Bulgidung|
|Next Best||3, 7, 8|
|Fast Start||4, 6|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Small but decent-looking field and (3) TANGY BITE is up in class having won at this distance three weeks ago. He pretty much made all that day and saw off a late challenge well and despite the step up in competition, can win again. (5) RED YOUNG MYEONGUN has a habit of outperforming his odds and ran a very good 2nd place at class and distance on his latest outing a month ago, beating two of these along the way, and will surely be dangerous again, although this time he should be much better backed. (1) CHEONJI CHAMP was 4th in that race behind Red Young Myeongun and can aim for the places here while (6) VIVA VICTORY enters after a creditable 4th of 12 on what was her first try at both class and distance last month and she too has placing claims.
|Selections||(3) Tangy Bite (5) Red Young Myeongun (6) Viva Victory (1) Cheonji Champ|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 9|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Tricky contest this. (8) SOBAKANINSAENG beat (7) GOLD SOCKS as the pair of them, both unfancied, finished 2nd and 4th respectively at class and distance on February 25th. They both closed strongly that day and both have claims to go one better here and score a rare victory. Back in January, (6) JINGYOGUI YEONGUNG beat Sobakaninsaeng when 2nd at 1700M and was by no means disgraced when 6th of 12 behind Sobakaninsaeng and Gold Socks on what was his first try at this distance a month ago. He is yet to win in fourteen attempts but has as much chance of any of prevailing here against these fellow skilled dodgers of the winner’s circle. (4) GEUMA FORTE and (5) LONG HITTER others in with a shout.
|Selections||(7) Gold Socks (8) Sobakaninsaeng (6) Jingyogui Yeongung (5) Long Hitter|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 5|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(9) DYNAMIC STAR saw his unbeaten run come to an end on his fifth career start when stepped up to 1400M for his first try at this level a month ago. He still managed to run a good 2nd behind a very useful horse and dropped back to 1200M, he can resume his winning ways here. (4) TAEYANGUI SINHWA was a class and distance winner on February 2nd, beating no fewer than four of the others who go here. He came off a slow start that day and finished very well and has to be taken into consideration. (2) KKEUTPAN AERO was well back that day but recovered to run a good 4th behind Dynamic Star a couple of weeks later and must be considered. (6) GYEONGYEONHANJILJU enters with a striking record having won his latest four. They have all been at 1000M and he is up in class today entering off a ten-week lay-off so he has plenty to do but it’s not impossible. (1) GIFTED SUN, a surprise 2nd behind Taeyangui Sinhwa last time, the other one to watch for.
|Selections||(9) Dynamic Star (4) Taeyangui Sinhwa (2) Kkeutpan Aero (1) Gifted Sun|
|Next Best||6, 5, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
A class and distance winner in December, (2) DAEJANGBAK followed up with back to back 4th place finishes and he can return to the winner’s circle today. Last time out on February 11th, he finished strongly to only be beaten by just over a length in a very tight finish and with a little better luck, may even have got closer. (11) SMART PARK was a further length back in 5th that day and he should be a threat here too with recent form reading well. (7) JEONGAN KINGDOM beat Dajangbak when upsetting highly-rated three-year-old Choinma back in January and while he had a hard time up at 1900 last month, should be in the frame today. (3) TWO KAY, stepping up to two turns for the first time, and (10) NHA TRANG are others who can get close.
|Selections||(2) Daejangbak (11) Smart Park (7) Jeongan Kingdom (3) Two Kay|
|Next Best||10, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 9|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
A strong class 1 Sprint provides Busan’s Sunday feature. (10) TODAY has won nine of his eleven starts so far, including his latest three all at class 1, one of which was at this trip. He beat three of these when making all to win by a mile last month and will be favourite to repeat today. Last year’s SBS Sprint winner (3) DORAONPOGYEONGSEON raced very generously last time out, hanging outwards when rounding the turn to an extent that probably cost him the race as he ultimately went down by a nose. With better manners today, he’ll be a big threat. (6) INDIAN STAR was a length back in 3rd that day, the second time in a row she’s been beaten by Doraonpogyeongseon but she should be beating plenty of these. (12) PERDIDO POMEROY led for much of his sole start of 2018 over 1400M in January but weakened late on. He trailed up two wees ago looking in fine form and can go well here despite having to overcome the outside gate. Longer shots who may be considered include (7) PARTY AGAIN and (11) MACHEON BOLT.
|Selections||(10) Today (3) Doraonpogyeongseon (12) Perdido Pomeroy (6) Indian Star|
|Next Best||11, 7, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 12|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Runner-up in her latest two, (2) CHEONGSU YEOGEOL should get it right today. She was a winner on debut last September before running 4th in the Nonghyup Chairman’s Trophy, a big race for imported juveniles, on her second start. The calibre of horse who has beaten her so far is better than what she faces here, and she should be on pace throughout. (9) HAENGBOGOL CHAJA and (12) ALL THAT SPEED came home 3rd and 5th respectively behind Cheongsu Yeogeol last time out and they can be dangerous here too. (10) V KHAN didn’t go well when stepped up to 1700M last start but returns here following eleven weeks off and back down at a distance that suits, and he should go much better today. (8) CHEONGDAM JEWANG is up in class and distance following his maiden win over 1000M at the beginning of February and he too can be competitive.
|Selections||(2) Cheongsu Yeogeol (9) Haengbogul Chaja (12) All That Speed (10) V Khan|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 5|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 150 Million
Last year’s Champion filly/mare (5) SILVER WOLF began her 2018 campaign in fine style with an easy win in the Donga Ilbo Cup in February and while this regular handicap is much tougher, she still looks very hard to beat here. (12) ANOTHER SMART ONE won a soft race at class and distance in December but confirmed his ability when running 2nd in a much better contest in February, beating three who go here. He is adept at overcoming wide draws to get on pace and can do the same today. (11) CHOEGANGJA races for the first time since winning at class and distance just before Christmas and will surely be in the frame today. (1) WONDER BOLT drops back to the sprint distances at which he first made his breakthrough and along with (8) PARANG JUUIBO, completes the top line of selections for what should be a good sprint.
|Selections||(5) Silver Wolf (12) Another Smart One (11) Choegangja (1) Wonder Bolt|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 10, 12|