Saturday racing at Seoul sees 12 races from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 1 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Not a strong race to begin with so we’re going to be looking for improvers. (9) POP STREET only finished 6th of 12 on debut at the end of November but it was a decent time in a reasonable race and came off the back of a good trial too. With Moon Se Young taking over in the saddle today, he’ll probably be favourite and for good reason. (5) SARYEONI THUNDER only beat one home in a poor showing last start but has had eight weeks off since and previously ran a decent enough 4th so can be considered for improvement. (7) POWER KOREA is more experienced and steps back in trip after a creditable effort over 1700M. He’s one-paced but if he gets a good start, could feature. Of the rest, (6) BARAM KING and (10) HUNTER HAWK look most likely.
|Selections||(9) Pop Street (5) Saryeoni Thunder (10) Hunter Hawk (7) Power Korea|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 8|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Seven of the twelve are first-timer starters and we’ve some potentially good ones among them. All three of (1) RAON PRIMER, (7) BAEKSAN FORCE and (10) GULCHARMNAMSUP won their trials and look to be the leading contenders. The latter was the most visually impressive, so we’ll go with her but the other two have every chance as well. If we prefer ones who have already raced, (12) BEST CHAPEL and (8) BOEUNUI KKUM debuted together at the distance on December 23rd. In slow conditions, they came home 2nd and 4th respectively and both should be in the frame again. (11) STAR SOCKS was a full twelve lengths behind a good winner on her debut on Christmas Eve but nevertheless managed a good 3rd place and can can’t be completely ruled out.
|Selections||(10) Gulcharmnamsup (1) Raon Primer (12) Best Chapel (7) Baeksan Force|
|Next Best||11, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 10, 12|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(7) WONDEFUL CHAMPION has gone well across four starts so far and while his best was on his debut, his 4th place last time out at class and distance stands him in good stead to make the breakthrough here despite the fact he’s coming in following ten weeks off. That race was a bit stronger than the one in which (9) SPECIAL STONE scored a really good 2nd place on debut the week before Christmas and she should be the main danger. (1) HUIMANGUI NALGAE and (8) RAON GANGHO came home 3rd and 4th in what was a painfully slow 1300M on December 23rd. The conditions that day allowed both to come from well back and it’s not impossible they could repeat. (3) YEONGLAK TAEWANG is inconsistent but has shown some ability and is better than his latest effort suggests.
|Selections||(7) Wonderful Champion (9) Special Stone (8) Raon Gangho (3) Yeonglak Taewang|
|Next Best||4, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
After a 3rd and a 2nd place in his two starts to date, this should be a relatively straightforward assignment for (4) LET’S YEONGCHEON to bid farewell to the lowest level of racing with a win. He hasn’t led either of those races but there’s no reason for Moon Se Young to hang around here so expect him to get out in front and lead all the way. (8) DALLYEORA RAON has also begun his career in a promising manner and continue that here. (5) ADELEUI KKUM did nothing on debut but gets a fresh start three months later, with (2) K ZONE and (7) ALI BAEKJAEK looking best of the rest.
|Selections||(4) Let’s Yeongcheon (8) Dallyeora Raon (5) Adeleui Kkum (7) Ali Baekjak|
|Fast Start||4, 5|
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Just fillies (and a couple of mares) here and (4) JI SEONI beat three of these on her way to 2nd place at class and distance on December 16th. She came from well back from a wide draw and still got to within a length of the winner and she can go one better today. (3) CHO ORONG MA and (1) SIMON MISSILE came home 3rd and 4th that day – both were considerable more favoured in the betting than Ji Seoni – and they look set to be rivals again but the main danger could be (5) KKEULEOJUNEUN SON. Shen ran 4th in the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup back in September before getting her second 2nd place in a similar contest to this in October. She can be forgiven her latest against some of the best of her year group and surely has a win in her at some point. She may have to settle for another runner-up finish today though. (12) BAEKDU MIR, another of those behind Ji Seoni last time, could improve.
|Selections||(4) Ji Seoni (5) Kkeuleojuneun Son (1) Simon Missile (3) Cho Orong Ma|
|Next Best||12, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 10|
Race 6: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Loads in with a chance here. Three are up in class for the first time following maiden victories and all are in with a shout. (5) HIGH BEAT should have raced a couple of weeks ago but unseated his jockey on the way down. He was a strong winner back in November at the distance and should be involved. Likewise (7) CYBER and (10) STIRLING were all the way winners in good fashion and have little to fear here. The one that they need to beat is (3) ALL OF ME. She’s yet to win in four attempts but has three 2nd places and a 3rd to her name. She drops back in trip today and should be on the early speed with every chance. (6) WELLBEING JOY comes in following a solid 5th place in a stiffer contest than this at 1300M and is another in the hunt.
|Selections||(5) High Beat (3) All Of Me (7) Cyber (10) Stirling|
|Next Best||6, 12, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 10, 12|
Race 7: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(12) HOENG UN GOL is one of the more promising three-year-olds of his crop and while he was beaten thirteen lengths by the extremely promising Gaon Champ last month, he should have the beating of these. He has to overcome being drawn in the car park but that should be do-able and he’ll be strong favourite. (5) MENI BADA and (3) LUXURY HAPPY come in having finished 1st and 3rd at this class over 1200M on December 9th and both are in the hunt once more. (6) FIRE BALL was a very solid 2nd over 1200M in a similar quality race to this just over a month ago and can look to match it here while (2) SOKBO TAEJA has claims too, despite being up in class following a win and the 3rd place finishes from his latest three.
|Selections||(12) Hoeng Un Gol (5) Meni Bada (3) Luxury Happy (2) Sokbo Taeja|
|Next Best||6, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 10, 11, 12|
Race 8: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(10) SHARK PARTY and (11) SIMPLE LIFE are both up in class following good victories on December 17th and both are in the frame in what looks a nicely competitive contest. Of the pair, Simple Life seems best equipped for this level, having comfortably won his latest two and he’s the pick to make it a hat-trick of wins. He’s been close to the early pace in both of those and Perovic can slot him onto the shoulder of the leaders here and finish strongly. Lots can stop him though. (5) GLOBAL BANK was 3rd behind Gaon Champ and Hoeng Un Gol in a valuable race last month and looks to have plenty of potential while (3) LITTLE SOCIE was only beaten a neck over 1400M last start and looks nicely in here. (2) JIGONG BULPAE was just over a length further back in that race and can challenge for the places here. (4) HAE HU’s latest two have been in very tough company (well back behind Global Bank last time) but he won his first two and is not devoid of talent.
|Selections||(11) Simple Life (5) Global Bank (4) Hae Hu (3) Little Socie|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 12|
Race 9: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) SZERENCSE’s victory was at this distance and he was an unexpected 2nd at class and distance on Christmas Eve, only beaten a head. HE only carries an extra kilo today and has to be considered. He probably won’t be favourite though. (5) EORIN WANGJA could only manage 6th that day but is already a class and distance winner and can go much better this time. (6) CLEAN UP TEUKGEUP was demoted to 2nd on debut before putting things right on his second start and then struggling in decent company last time. He’s up in trip today but has plenty of potential and should stay on. (4) MINDEULRE CHUKJE and (7) ROYAL TANK are up in class having come home 1st and 2nd at the distance on December 17th although both seem to have a bit to find. (10) VICKY LIE was a bit disappointing on her latest start and can go close.
|Selections||(6) Clean Up Teukgeup (3) Szerencse (10) Vicky Lie (5) Eorin Wangja|
|Next Best||7, 4, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 9|
Race 10: Class 3 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(1) CHOINMA won both Seoul’s big juvenile races last autumn and then ran a very strong 2nd in the Breeders’ Cup race – the nation’s top race for two-year-olds – at the beginning of December. He’s up to two turns for the first time today and we get the chance for him to show his credentials for the Triple Crown trail. He wins. Main threat is (5) HIBIKI. He’s proven at the distance with both his wins being at this trip and is up in class following a commanding four-length score on Christmas Eve. He’s tactically versatile but will likely try to lead all the way. (2) DAEJANGBAK and (7) SARYEONI HEALING were 1st and 3rd at the distance on December 23rd and while both carry more weight today, can be involved. (10) GLOBAL DREAM didn’t go well last start but had excuses and can improve today.
|Selections||(1) Choinma (5) Hibiki (10) Global Dream (7) Saryeoni Healing|
|Next Best||2, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 12|
Race 11: Class 2 (1900M) Allowance / KRW 90 Million
(6) SAMJEONG BULPAE was a class and distance winner on December 10th, beating three of these in the process. He carries an extra 3kg today but there is no reason why he can’t repeat. He settles in midfield and has a strong finish. The one that looks capable of beating him is (1) GOLDEN GATE. It’s his first try at the distance but he comes in off the back of some very solid recent form. He’ll likely try to lead early and stay on. (7) WIDAEHAN JEONSA was a six-length winner over 1800M at this class at the end of November and warrants respect here even though he has an additional 4.5kg to overcome. (2) SOJUNGHAN MANNAM and (5) SINGGEUREOUN GEOM look best of the rest although don’t rule out Luigi Riccardi’s (8) CHOEGO MONEY, who was a very solid 2nd at 1800M two weeks ago.
|Selections||(1) Golden Gate (6) Samjeong Bulpae (7) Widaehan Jeonsa (8) Choego Money|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 8|
Race 12: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Another wide-open contest to finish with. Haynesfield colt (2) NAMCHON ARTIST has shown promise over his two outings to date and this could be the race where he makes his breakthrough. He’ll settle just behind the early pace – a pace that plenty will be looking to set. They include (3) FLYING BOSS, who struggled at 1000M last time but should be better back up in trip today, and (6) HAPPY BOY, 2nd in a really good race over this distance last time on Christmas Eve. (12) EAST PALOS comes in off two solid 3rd place finishes, both at this distance and has the potential to improve while (4) RAON ACE is up in class having won by four lengths over 1200M at the beginning of December and must be considered.
|Selections||(2) Namchon Artist (6) Happy Boy (3) Flying Boss (12) East Palos|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 8, 11|