Seoul gets its racing season underway on Saturday with a bumper 15-race program and with last week having been dark, there are big fields throughout. The first race is at 10:45am and the last at 6pm. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(2) BIG AURORA underwhelmed when favourite over the distance in November beaten by, amongst others, (7) CHOWON YEOJEONSA, but he’s better than that and gets another chance to score here. (6) FIRE was a much improved 2nd in a similar race to this a month ago and can get close again. (4) JIGONG JILJU has been getting closer in recent starts while (3) TOUGH TROPHY and (5) HIGH STAR both race for the first time since putting in average efforts at the start of November and will be backed to improve.
|Selections||(2) Big Aurora (4) Jigong Jilju (6) Fire (5) High Star|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 8, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Jockey Ham Wan Sik returns to Seoul after a year at Busan and he could well ride his first winner back in the capital here with (7) GONGJU SARANG set to be a strong favourite in this all-filly race. She’s the most convincing of the seven of these who’ve raced before and despite being a well-beaten 2nd behind a decent type last time, can win here, likely leading all the way. Among the other who have raced before, (11) DAECHEONUI SARANG and (5) SKY MARINE both have 2nd places to their name. The former beat the latter back in November. (6) SEOUL STORY has run better than her 6th and 8th place finishes suggest and she too can improve. Of the first-time starters, (4) JEJUI BARAM and (10) DONGBANG JIJU look the picks.
|Selections||(7) Gongju Sarang (4) Jejui Baram (11) Daecheonui Sarang (6) Seoul Story|
|Next Best||10, 5|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 10|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Weak fare here but (3) KWAEHAN YEBONGSAN has shown improvement across three starts to date and went ok on one previous try at this distance. If she can get out well and on to the early speed, she has every chance of leading all the way. (7) MIGHTY COOL has been up and down the distances already but looks to have landed in a good spot here and should be competitive with (6) ONLY BARAM and (9) ONE TWO THREE others who have potential to improve.
|Selections||(3) Kwaehan Yebongsan (7) Mighty Cool (6) Only Baram (9) One Two Three|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 6|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Fillies only here and it’s about time that (1) O.J.HWAK DAB got her maiden win. She’s run into a couple of decent ones in both her latest starts but has acquitted herself well each time and could well have too much here. (7) BAENONGI stepped up to this distance a month ago and delivered her best result so far with 3rd place and that’s something she can build on today. (8) RUN AWAY was 5th behind O.J.Hwak Dab last time out and should have placing claims. (4) AMARONE has raced creditably in two outings so far and may appreciate the step up in trip today while (10) RAISE ME UP has a 4th place to her name at this distance already and can look to at least match it.
|Selections||(1) O.J.Hwak Dab (7) Baenongi (10) Raise Me Up (8) Run Away|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8|
Race 5: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
The final maiden of the day is certainly the best with plenty of potential among these three-year-olds. (3) DORAON ACHIM HAE was favourite at this distance at the end of November but only managed 3rd. He’s shown enough over his two starts so far, however, to suggest he has wins in him and he’ll be well backed here. (2) LUCKY CHUNYANG wasn’t especially well fancied on debut a month ago although perhaps should have been having shown some speed in trials. He finished 3rd, less than a length behind the winner and running on very nicely which suggests the step up in trip today can only be beneficial. (10) STAR CAT beat (12) MONEY ZIF and (4) DOUBLE GOLD as the trio came home 2nd, 4th and 6th over 1200M on December 9th and at least two of those should be in the hunt here. (9) CLEAN UP SECRET ran 2nd at this distance on October before running nicely enough over 1700M a month later and he’ll be in at least the placing frame too.
|Selections||(3) Doraon Achim Hae (2) Lucky Chunyang (10) Star Cat (9) Clean Up Secret|
|Next Best||4, 12, 5|
|Fast Start||5, 11|
Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) AMENDA came from off the pace to record her maiden win at this distance on December 2nd and while up in class today she’s favoured to repeat in this all-filly affair. (3) YEOWOORI was three lengths back in 2nd that day and joins Amenda up in class by virtue of that being her second consecutive runner-up finish (she actually beat Amenda the time before) and she too looks to have little to fear here. (9) SEUNGJAUI MISO was a decent enough 5th in first try at class and distance and should have come for it while (2) CHOROK JILJU struggled over 1700M last time but should be more comfortable today. (11) ROYAL PARK was 5th, one place behind (10) CLEANUP SEED on December 3rd on what was her first outing in nine months and can improve today. She is the likely early pace-setter.
|Selections||(8) Amenda (3) Yeowoori (11) Royal Park (9) Seungjaui Miso|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 10, 11|
Race 7: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) NAM SON is up in class having secured a 2nd, a 3rd and finally a maiden win in his three efforts so far. Plenty to suggest he’ll be competitive at this level ad while he won’t be looking to lead from the gate, he can finish strongly and can win again. (11) HIGH BEAT was set to be well-backed on his first try at this level three weeks ago only to unseat his rider on the way to the gate and get scratched. He was a good winner over 1000M in November and has to have a chance. (3) DAECHEON ACE was 2nd at class and distance on December 10th. He briefly led close to home and will surely set the pace here with every chance of going all the way. (5) I B S MAN, up in class and distance, and (6) YAHO GIANT others to take into consideration.
|Selections||(1) Nam Son (3) Daecheon Ace (11) High Beat (5) I B S Man|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 12|
Race 8: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(6) HESEDEU is up in class following a good maiden win in November when he made all. At this distance at least, he should be a threat at this class and he’s in with a strong shout here. Hesedeu is the likely pacesetter along with (4) TONGIL DAERO, who comes in with every chance of at least matching the 7th place he managed on his latest start seven weeks ago. (10) HANIL MAGIC and (2) BOLD NINER actually beat Tongil Daero back at the beginning of November and that pair too should go well. (1) DALDARI, who split them in 5th place last start another in the hunt.
|Selections||(6) Hesedeu (4) Tongil Daero (10) Hanil Magic (2) Bold Niner|
|Next Best||1, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 9|
Race 9: Class 4 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Small field here and (5) PANORAMA SHOW was a decent winner on debut at this class on December 2nd. He didn’t begin especially quickly but hit the front just under a furlong out and had plenty in hand on the line and there’s no reason why he can’t repeat. (6) SEOUL EOMJI was a much improved 3rd that day and can go well again although the greater danger is expected to be (2) CHEONGDAM JEWANG. He was quick when 3rd on his only previous try at this distance in October and will most likely look to lead early here. (1) JEONGSANG CHAMP and debut-maker (3) SPEED JOY others to look out for.
|Selections||(5) Panorama Show (2) Cheongdam Jewang (6) Seoul Eomji (3) Speed Joy|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 6|
Race 10: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) DANGDANGHANYEOGEOL was a solid 3rd in what was a marginally stronger race than this at class and distance on November 25th. She previously won by seven-lengths at the distance and can get on the early speed here and lead all the way. (5) ACE SEVEN comes in following a win at this class over 1200M and while she carries an extra 4.5kg today, she can be respected and will also be ridden forward early. Both (3) MONE FLYING and (4) AREUMDAUN SUNGAN enter off encouraging last runs while (10) JEULGEOUN HAMSEONG, 2nd to Areumdaun Sungan at the distance in November, is another one to consider, at least for a place.
|Selections||(2) Dangdanghanyeogeol (5) Ace Seven (3) Money Flying (4) Areumdaun Sungan|
|Next Best||10, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7|
Race 11: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
It’s been a while since his most recent win (October 2016) but (4) JANGSAN ROCKY can end his string of near-misses with victory here. He’s been no worse than 3rd in six outings since returning last July and can come from just behind the early pace here to win. (3) WAIKIKI is up in class but nevertheless looks nicely in here and can get close while (6) GEUMTUSA’s latest two outings have been in tougher company than this and he can be competitive, likely setting the early pace. (10) YES YOU CAN is up in class having been defeated by a nose over 1700M a month ago and he’s another who’ll be on the early speed. (11) GOLDEN STEP has had a bit of an interrupted career but goes well when he is right.
|Selections||(4) Jangsan Rocky (3) Waikiki (10) Yes You Can (6) Geumtusa|
|Next Best||11, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 9, 10|
Race 12: Class 4 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Wide open this just as it was four of these faced each other at class and distance on December 2nd. It was a blanket finish that day and (9) PEARL SHINE was a somewhat surprising winner. Although the odds are against a repeat, it’s not impossible. More likely though is (5) GWACHEON BOLT, who may remain winless in nine starts to date but generally is not far away and so long as he doesn’t leave himself too much to do, has a chance here. The recent form of (3) ROYAL AMOS doesn’t read well but he gets a huge boost by being down in class today. He’s not devoid of talent and could be headed straight back up. (10) TRICKER tries the distance for the first time and it may suite while (7) TODAY WINNER was encouraging last time out.
|Selections||(5) Gwacheon Bolt (3) Royal Amos (9) Pearl Shine (10) Tricker|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 10|
Race 13: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(8) DAEGUNHAM has taken to this distance very well with a win and two 2nd placed finishes in three attempts, the latter two both at this class. He’ll settle back in the field and finish strongly and could well be hard to beat today. (9) SEONGEUN MARU was a touch disappointing last start but is expected to be ridden further forward here and can get close. (7) ELAN has won at this distance before and while his first crack at class 4 didn’t go well in December, he’s worthy of another chance. (2) DEVIL MAN and (5) CHUL AE are others who could contest the places.
|Selections||(8) Daegunham (7) Elan (9) Seongeun Maru (5) Chul Ae|
|Fast Start||7, 9|
Race 14: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(10) I.B.S. MARINE enters having won two from three so far and steps up in both class and distance today. The distance is more of a concern than the class, but he looks a progressive type who can cope and he’ll be expected to be on the early speed with every chance of going all the way. (7) SINGIPARANG was a surprise class and distance winner four weeks ago and despite carrying an extra 3kg today, warrants some respect. (9) V KHAN returned from six months off to record his third runner-up finish in eight starts. He’s up to this trip for the first time and it may suit. (1) DORAON NALRI’s latest two have been in stiffer company than this and he can improve too while (11) SKY VELVET is another to consider for the minor money.
|Selections||(10) I.B.S. Marine (9) V Khan (7) Singiparang (11) Sky Velvet|
|Next Best||1, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 9, 10|
Race 15: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(8) JANGSAN CITY is a class and distance winner and while he has come up short in his latest two, he’s carrying 4kg less today and even at this short distance, it may just make the difference. (2) PRIME GOLD and (3) GOLD MUSIC are both up in class following victories over this distance. Both should be on the early speed and neither out of their depth. Also quickly away is likely to be (1) MENI MUSIC. She hasn’t raced since running 5th behind Jangsan City in November and this looks a nice race for her with Johan Victoire in the saddle for the first time. (9) SIDAEUIYEOWANG, who struggled on a wet track last start, is another to look out for.
|Selections||(8) Jangsan City (3) Gold Music (1) Meni Music (2) Prime Gold|
|Next Best||9, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3|