Sunday is Grand Prix Stakes Day! Full preview of the big race is here. There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 while down at Busan there are 6 races from 12:40 to 17:05. Here’s the full race-by-race preview of the other races on the card:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(10) M.J. CAPTAIN beat (11) ARES THUNDER as the pair ran 4th and 5th over the distance on November 11th. The former also has a 2nd place to his name and could make the breakthrough here. For Ares Thunder that was an improvement and he can go well as well. The Yoshida-owned (3) CONKER has shown steady improvement over five races so far and comes into consideration with a likely fast start while (6) RUBY BEOLKIN hasn’t been too far away in recent efforts and can make a bid for the places.
|Selections||(10) M.J. Captain (3) Conker (11) Ares Thunder (6) Ruby Beolkin|
|Next Best||12, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 10|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Five first-timers go here but it’s the ones with experience that are likely to be favoured. (5) CHEONJI BOBAE is the pick. She’s been prominent in both starts so far and managed 2nd over this distance on November 11th. (1) TAMNA YEOSIN was an improved 4th in a decent contest at this distance a on what was her second outing. She led for much of that race and can come on more here. (6) LOVELY NUTE and (7) THUNDER WARRIOR should have learned from their debuts and can improve while of the first-time starters, (2) GOLDEN SKY and (10) GARA GARA GA look the pick.
|Selections||(5) Cheonji Bobae (1) Tamna Yeosin (7) Thunder Warrior (10) Gara Gara Ga|
|Next Best||6, 2, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Fillies only here and plenty in the hunt. (9) ROYAL BOKSUNI is the only one among them to have even a 2nd place finish to her name, which she achieved two starts ago in a very similar race at this distance. She’s drawn in the same gate today and can get on the early speed and go all the way. That day, (10) CHOWON YEOJEONSA was 7th but she showed improvement at 1000M three weeks ago and can be given another chance here. (3) WIND POWER gets a top jockey in the saddle here and will be backed while (5) BABY STAR and (11) BAENONGI are among a handful of potential improvers.
|Selections||(9) Royal Boksuni (3) Wind Power (10) Chowon Yeojeonsa (5) Baby Star|
|Next Best||11, 1, 4|
Race 4: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) HEUNG BARAM was a three-length winner at the distance on November 11th and while he is up in class today, he has as good a chance as any of winning this. Lots of others in the hunt too. (3) YEONGWONHAN SUNGAN and (4) LEAD UP enter with positive recent form while (1) SO ARA CHEONWANG can be forgiven his last start and given another chance hacking gone very close the time before. (6) BEST DOLPUNG hasn’t quite got to grips with this level yet but faces slightly softer opposition today than he did in his two previous attempts.
|Selections||(5) Heung Baram (4) Lead Up (3) Yeongwonhan Sungan (1) So Ara Cheonwang|
|Next Best||6, 2, 8, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) DAECHEON ACE is up in class following a five-length win over 1000M on November 11th. He’s up in distance for the first time too but if he can get the early lead, he has every chance of leading all the way. (3) GONSEOL is yet to win in thirty but has been competitive in recent efforts and should get close here while (8) HANSEONG KING is likewise still seeking his maiden win – he was behind Gonseol last time but has gone well at class and distance and is likely to challenge Daecheon Ace on the early speed. (7) MAMBO KHAN was bumped up to 1700M for his first attempt at this level. It was a little too much too soon and he should be much happier today.
|Selections||(4) Daecheon Ace (8) Hanseong King (7) Mambo Khan (3) Gonseol|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 9|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (7) HANEOL GONGJU was a five-length winner on debut over 1200M back at the end of September. This is her first start since then and she’s up in both class and (slightly) in distance but looks to have every chance of backing right up. Plenty of dangers though. (6) HAESEONG STAR was a class and distance winner last start – it was her maiden win on her thirteenth attempt but she’s nicely in again and could repeat. (8) EURO GONGJU still seems to have plenty of potential and has already proven competitive at class and distance. She’ll likely join Haneol Gongju on the early speed. (2) RECHAE is yet to win but has placing claims in this company as do (3) SHARP QUEENS and (9) LADY CHARTERED.
|Selections||(7) Haneol Gongju (6) Haeseong Star (8) Euro Gongju (3) Sharp Queens|
|Next Best||9, 2, 5|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(8) HAEORABI has shown promise across two starts so far, running on nicely for 4th and 3rd place finishes both at this distance. He can set up camp behind the early leaders here and beat them in the straight. Those early leaders are likely to include (2) YEOKJEONUI USEUNG and (10) JALOUSIE, both of whom have also shown signs of talent and found placing finishes at this class. (7) DELTA K is more experienced and may benefit from stepping back in trip today. (4) BIO MAGIC perhaps has a little more to find but comes in fresh twelve weeks after an encouraging run at the distance.
|Selections||(8) Haeorabi (2) Yeokjeonui Useung (10) Jalousie (7) Delta K|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 10|
Busan Race 3: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
(4) YEONGHUI SIDAE won three of her first four before being beaten by two very good ones in the track’s top juvenile race in October. She was expected to win on her re-appearance a month ago but after a lacklustre 5th of 8 was found to be slightly lame. Fit again today she has an excellent chance of returning to the winner’s circle. She might not be favourite though. (5) ACEUI SEONMUL has never been worse than 3rd in seven outings to date and looks very dangerous dropped back in trip today. Both those should be on the early speed where they’ll likely be challenged by (1) SARANG MISO, who herself has never been worse than 2nd in four. On one of those occasions she was beaten by (6) HAPPY LADY who never recovered from a bad start last time out but can be competitive here. (2) DAEHO CHUKJE another in the hunt in a very competitive all-filly (and one mare) contest.
|Selections||(4) Yeonghui Sidae (5) Aceui Seonmul (1) Sarang Miso (2) Daeho Chukje|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(10) DONGTEUL TTAE was a class and distance winner in September and has found himself up against decent ones in his latest two. This race isn’t bad either but does look a little softer and he can win, likely from the front. (3) GIDONG DAEJANG is up in class following a handy win over the distance on November 12th. That win had been coming and could be repeated. (2) EAGLE SKY found himself overmatched against the track’s best juveniles in the Gwacheon Mayor’s Cup in late October but should be happier in this company today. Those three are the main contenders but we could also see good runs from (1) JAELONGI and the still winless but up in class (11) LUCKY BONGHWA.
|Selections||(10) Dongteul Ttae (3) Gidong Daejang (2) Eagle Sky (11) Lucky Bonghwa|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 10, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 55 Million
(2) JAYU DAERO and (3) GLOBAL CHAMPION enter off the best looking recent performances but both exceeded expectations last time out and could be hard pressed to repeat. On the contrary, (6) WONDERFUL CAPTAIN and (8) GANGJA DAERO both had a hard time in their respective last starts but both have talent and could well be better here. The former beat three of these when running 2nd at class and distance in October. (12) NEULHAERANG is a solid type and looks good for at least the minor placings while (1) SUPERSTAR JOHN got a bad trip on his first start back behind Wonderful Captain in October but still managed to finish 6th and can improve today.
|Selections||(6) Wonderful Captain (12) Neulhaerang (8) Gangja Daero (1) Superstar John|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 12|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(5) LEAD MONEY comfortably defeated five of these on her way to a really good 2nd place on what was her first try at this class on November 12th. She’s won at this distance before and will be favourite to prevail here. (9) GLOBAL DREAM and (11) GUTONGSA, the latter the track-record holder over 1300M came home 3rd and 4th that day and could well be the biggest dangers to the favourite with both looking like they have more wins in them at some stage. (3) FIRE DREAM and (4) ROAD HILL are both up in class after unlikely wins at this distance and while both can be respected, they do look to have a bit to find. (6) CONSERVATIVE steps back up in trip today and can be considered.
|Selections||(5) Lead Money (9) Global Dream (11) Gutongsa (3) Fire Dream|
|Next Best||6, 4, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(6) HAEUNDAE YEOGEOL is up in class following back to back wins over 1000M. All eight of her starts so far have been at the minimum distance so this is a first for her today – she always leads and the only question is whether she stays the extra furlong. If she doesn’t there are plenty that will. (2) MY ALICE is a winner at this distance and was 3rd last time out on her first effort at this class, only beaten a length in a similar strength race to this. (1) CHOEGANG ADVENTURE and (7) ADELE STAR have likewise proven themselves capable in this type of company and can get close while (5) GABO STAR gave his rider a hard time last outing but if he behaves, should be in the frame.
|Selections||(6) Haeundae Yeogeol (2) My Alice (7) Adele Star (5) Gabo Star|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 6|
|Selections||(8) Cheongdam Dokki (1) Triple Nine (11) Power Blade (12) Clean Up Joy|
|Next Best||7, 4, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 8|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(11) DAEHO SIDAE ran in all three legs of the Triple Crown this year with a best finish of 3rd in the final leg, the Minister’s Cup. Overmatched in last month’s President’s Cup, he has a good chance of finally getting back into the winning habit today. (7) HI SEXY jumped out of the gate very awkwardly last time but rallied to finish 3rd over this distance. That was enough for her to be bumped up in class but she looks very nicely in here carrying a full 5.5kg less than she did that day and she could well be very competitive. (2) WONDERFUL TODAY was a class and distance winner last time and must be respected even if a repeat seems unlikely in what is a tougher race. (3) CHOEGANG FORCE ONE is up in class having won five of nine total and looks to have more to come. (5) ILLYU STAR beat a couple of these last time when 3rd at class and distance in a similar strength race today and is sure to be well backed.
|Selections||(11) Daeho Sidae (7) Hi Sexy (5) Illyu Star (3) Choegang Force One|
|Next Best||6, 2, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 10|
Seoul Race 10: Class 2 (1900M) Allowance / KRW 90 Million
Five of these raced each other over 1800M on November 4th. (10) DAEBAKIDA prevailed that day, winning by a length and while he carries an additional 2.5kg today, he’s firmly in the hunt again. He’s finished no worse than 3rd in each of his last six outings. 2nd that day was (9) DIA SOCKS and plenty will be backing that one to overturn the form here while (8) HILLTOP and (6) SAMSEONG BULPAE, who finished 4th and 5th also have claims. However, they all need to contend with (2) SPERO, up rapidly in class after a pair of very good-looking wins over 1700M and 1800M, making all both times. If he gets a lead, he could go all the way.
|Selections||(10) Daebakida (2) Spero (9) Dia Socks (6) Samseong Bulpae|
|Next Best||4, 5, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 11: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
|1||GIMOA LAUNCH||5th of twelve on first try at this class over 1300M last time. Best work has been at 1000M but looks in the frame here.|
|2||ELITE QUEEN||Struggled in recent outings and a lot of form to overturn here. Outsider.|
|3||BRAVE UP||Had some issues at the gate when well-backed on first try at this class last time. That was at 1700M and she proceeded to finish last. Back in trip today and perhaps worth another chance.|
|4||BLACK MUSIC||Up rapidly in class following back to back wins at 1300M and 1200M. Up in distance too but in the hunt.|
|5||GEUM BONGHWANG||Creditable 5th of nine last start in all-filly race over 1300M. Has three 3rd places at this level, champion jockey on board and could well be favourite.|
|6||SONGAM GANGJA||Last start stumbled coming out of the gate causing his jockey to lose his stirrup for a while. Never recovered and ended last. Solid 2nd place at this class over 1300M the time before so gets another chance here.|
|7||AGAIN SINHWA||Has really struggled in four outings at this class since win at 1300M in June. Big uptick in form needed.|
|8||YEONDARA||Up in class today following 2nd place over 1300M behind a decent winner on November 11th. Can go well with a good start.|
|9||EONJE EODISEONA||A little inconsistent and steps back in trip with most recent efforts being at 1700M. Decent 2nd at that distance on October but looks to have a little to find here.|
|10||ELAN||Up in class following good win over 1700M on November 18th. Likely to try to get close to the speed early and has every chance of winning again.|
|11||ON THE STAGE||Started his career very well but then went very cold. Some improvement last time when managing 6th of 12 at odds in excess of 200/1 but still plenty to find.|
|12||CLEO||Up in class following a good win over 1000M on November 5th. No worse than 5th in seven outings so far. Distance a question.|
|Selections||(10) Elan (5) Geum Bonghwang (6) Songam Gangja (3) Brave Up|
|Next Best||4, 1, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 7|