There are 12 races at Seoul on Grand Prix-eve, Saturday with the 1st at 10:45 and the last at 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Six first-timers, five who have each run once and one who’s run twice. That one who’s raced twice already could well be favourite as (6) CITY ANGEL was a decent 2nd on November 12th, beating (9) ACE CANT and (1) BEST BULLET in the process. He should be on pace early and can go all the way. Ace Cant can improve too and will be backed as will (3) BOLD SHINING who did nothing wrong on his own debut on October 22nd. (10) HANIL GANGJA and (11) THUNDER MARINE also acquitted themselves well and may be considered. As for the debut-makers, it’s probably a case of “watch the market” to see if anything stands out – (7) SEOUL SOL, could be the one.
|Selections||(11) Thunder Marine (6) City Angel (9) Ace Cant (3) Bold Shining|
|Next Best||10, 7, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Two standouts here, both of whom come in having finished in 3rd place in their respective latest outings. Both were at this distance and both in similar times against similar opposition so there isn’t much to choose between (3) DUAL CHOEGANG and (7) YEONGLAK TAEWANG. They’re both three-year-olds by Duality and are both still maidens. Perhaps the one difference between them is Yeonglak Taewang is more likely to be on the early speed. This is not a strong race so we’re looking for something to step up. Jockey bookings point to (4) MAJJABEUN SON but (9) BLUE ROCK has shown some glimpses of ability and his last start, back following six months out, can go better. (10) YONGUI JUDO improved on her second start last month and could also be in the frame.
|Selections||(7) Yeonglak Taeyang (3) Dual Choegang (4) Majjabeun Son (10) Yongui Judo|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 9|
Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Much better race here with plenty of potentially decent juveniles bidding for a maiden win. (6) BACK TO BACK looked good on debut and while he only managed 3rd as favourite following a swift trial, he showed enough to suggest he has wins in him. (1) EMERALD KING has back to back 3rd places both at this distance and while he’s not shown much in the way of speed so far, also looks capable of going better. (9) JEJUI HEUKSEON debuted over 1300M and while she was ten-lengths behind a good winner, was still a solid 2nd ad can be considered while (7) DOUBLE GOLD couple benefit from the additional furlong today. He’s been 4th and 3rd in two outings at 1000M, running on nicely both times. (2) MONEY ZIF and (11) BISUL GONGJU are others to consider.
|Selections||(1) Emerald King (6) Back To Back (9) Jejui Heukseon (7) Double Gold|
|Next Best||11, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 10, 11|
Race 4: Class 4 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(3) ROAD WINNER was a good three-length winner at this class over 1300M on November 5th and while he carries a couple of extra kilos today, can win once more, probably looking to set the pace in this small field. (4) MYEONGGA JEWANG was an all the way winner, but over 1000M on November 11th and looks to have scope for development. (5) POSEIDON MARINE debuted soundly in 3rd at this distance and also looks to have a solid base to build on. (6) EAGLES GRIFTER and (8) NABOM DOKKAEBI others in the frame.
|Selections||(3) Road Winner (4) Myeongga Jewang (5) Poseidon Marine (6) Eagles Grifter|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Race 5: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Really competitive race to start with. (11) GOOD HENNY made all to beat favourite (3) MR. TURNER by half a length when the pair finished 1st and 2nd at this distance on November 11th. Good Henny should have a chance again but has a wider draw and 4kg extra to carry so the form could well be reversed. (7) NASCAUI TAEYANG beat (5) EAST PALOS as they raced 2nd and 3rd, again at this distance, a month ago. It was just a second start for both of them and both look to have more improvement in them. Nascaui Taeyang is likely to challenge Good Henny for the early lead and could well be joined by (2) I.B.S. MARINE, a good winner at the end of October and for who the extra half furlong today should suit. He has a big chance.
|Selections||(3) Mr. Turner (2) I.B.S. Marine (7) Nascaui Taeyang (11) Good Henny|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 11|
Race 6: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(11) STORMY has been getting closer and closer and it’s about time he got his maiden breakthrough. He’ll be favourite to score here following a late run that saw his finished 2nd over 1300M last month. He also has a 4th place to his name at this distance and is very much the one to beat, likely coming from well off the early pace. (1) KHENDUM POWER was 5th behind Stormy at this distance in October but followed it up with a very creditable 2nd later that month. He disappointed a little three weeks ago when dropped back to 1300M but looks in the hunt here. In that 1300M race, he was beaten by (10) MORE RICH and that one too has also shown ability at this distance and can be backed. (4) RAON OPTIMUS and (9) ÉCLAIR BEAUTY are others with scope for improvement.
|Selections||(11) Stormy (1) Khendum Power (10) More Rich (9) Éclair Beauty|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 9|
Race 7: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Another tricky contest but (2) CHOROK JILJU looks to just about have the edge. She’s been 3rd on her latest two at both 1700M and 1000M and on recent form, she’s the pick. (10) JANGBI CHEONBOK and (3) LUCKY MISTER came home 4th and 5th at this distance on November 11th and both look in with a chance of improving on those here while (9) BAEKSAN YEOWANG steps up to two-turns for the first turn and may be considered. She was competitive on her first try at this level over 1300M three weeks ago and looks nicely placed here. (7) SHAR NAO struggled a little on first try at this class last time but is worth another chance for a place.
|Selections||(2) Chorok Jilju (10) Jangbi Cheonbok (3) Lucky Mister (9) Baeksan Yeowang|
|Next Best||7, 1, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 11|
Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
A class 5 winner at this distance on October and then 2nd on his first go at this level on November 12th, (4) DAEGUNHAM is the one they’ll need to beat today. He’ll let the others set the pace and then come from behind in the closing stages. That pace is almost certainly going to be set by (5) RAON TROY, also 2nd at the distance last time. He looks the only credible front-runner here and while something will probably take him on, he could go all the way. (1) CHOWON BOLT actually beat Raon Troy in October on the way to just missing out by a neck at this distance. He’s very experienced but now has six 2nd places to just one win and he could possibly have to settle for the places once more. (3) SUN SMART steps up in class having won at this distance last time. This is a better race but she can be competitive. (10) ROAD KING tries the distance for the first time having not been too far away in his latest efforts.
|Selections||(4) Daegunham (1) Chowon Bolt (5) Raon Troy (3) Sun Smart|
|Next Best||10, 7|
Race 9: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(7) SMART BOBAE has won three from six so far and while she could only manage 3rd when sent off as favourite on November 11th, the margins were tight and she can be backed to get it right today, dropped back half a furlong. (5) MENI BADA found himself out of his depth in the Gwacheon Mayor’s Cup last start but the juvenile should be much more comfortable today while (8) JEULGOEUN HAMSEONG may be up in class despite not winning a race at class 5 but has proven competitive in similar company and is in with a chance. (2) SARYEONI KING has led both his latest two races only to fade late – he may stay on better today – while the wildcard is (1) SILVER HERO who returns following a lengthy absence. He’d shown plenty of talent before and while he trialled up only in an average manner, could be interesting.
|Selections||(7) Smart Bobae (5) Meni Bada (8) Jeulgoeun Hamseong (2) Saryeoni King|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 10|
Race 10: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) WILD THUNDER was 6th in the Minister’s Cup, the final leg of the Triple Crown, and having been 3rd on consecutive occasions when favourite, he was dropped back to 1400M last start and promptly won – again as favourite. He can settle just behind the early lead and finish strongly. (11) SMART PARK was 3rd behind Wild Thunder in that race and while she’s inconsistent, she can place again while (10) GEUMTUSA can be given another chance following a disappointing showing three weeks ago – the time before he was a decent 3rd place at class and distance. (6) DIDORPHIN drops back in trip and can go better while (8) SSAENGSSAENG DORI was an unexpected 4th in a similar race to this last time out and can be considered for the minor money.
|Selections||(7) Wild Thunder (11) Smart Park (10) Geumtusa (6) Didorphin|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 9|
Race 11: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(11) DOSI NONGBU enters in good shape and surely has more wins in him. The Aussie bred Uncle Mo colt got a pair of 2nd places at this distance before running 4th over 1400M last month and can get it right today. (10) URIGA BON beat (1) YESANGBAEK SEUNG as the pair ran 1st and 4th over this distance in October and both will be expected to have a say in things here. (2) ECO BOOSTER steps back up in trip following a solid 2nd place in a decent race over 1400M last month and can go close too. The wildcard is perhaps (6) SWEET ROCK. True, her two efforts so far at this class haven’t gone well but it’s interesting to see her put back up to two turns today – a distance she has won at before.
|Selections||(11) Dosi Nongbu (10) Uriga Bon (1) Yesangbaek Seung (6) Sweet Rock|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 9, 10|
Race 12: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 150 Million
Disappointingly small field for this class 1 sprint (although it is only open to horses rated up to 100) and it should be a win for (7) ANOTHER SMART ONE. The Smarty Jones gelding was 2nd to Sanggam Mama over 1400M last time out and should have too much for this lot. None of the others enter in a huge amount of form but (3) CHEONJIGA can’t be faulted for his 6th place in the Munhwa Ilbo Cup in October and looks next best. (2) JANGSANJEWANG put in an underwhelming performance in what was admittedly, a much stronger contest than this two weeks ago and can improve with (5) DONGCHONUI ACHIM and (6) SEONBONG others who can take advantage of being up against softer opposition than what they are usually accustomed to.
|Selections||(7) Another Smart One (3) Cheonjiga (5) Dongchonui Achim (2) Jangsanjewang|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|