Two Korea-trained horses touched down in Singapore early Friday morning ahead of the KRA Trophy race which will be run at Kranji on Sunday July 23. Michael Lee at the Singapore Turf Club covers their arrival here and here.
Back in Seoul there is an 11 race Saturday card from 14:00 to 21:00. English racecards are here. Notes on all simulcast races are below:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
1. DAE CAIN – First-time. Dam has produced four who reached the track all of them recording at least one win. Was slow in trials.
2. STORMY – 8th on debut a month ago behind the three others who have raced before and also go here. Didn’t disgrace himself though and can progress here.
3. BEST DOLPUNG – First foal from dam who won two from 20. Didn’t stand out in trials.
4. MAJJABEUN SON – Well back in trials, not much to recommend first up.
5. MONE FLYING – 4th of 11 at this distance on debut beaten by Macha Bucha and The Rose. Started slowly but finished very well. Could get closer today.
6. THE ROSE – 3rd behind Macha Bucha and ahead of Mone Flying on debut. In frame again for a repeat.
7. MACHA BUCHA – The favourite. 2nd on debut on June 17th, beating the three others here with racing experience. Should win this.
8. AREUMDAUN SOPUNG – Best of the debut-makers. Looked competent when 2nd in a decent trial last month. Hansen’s first Korean crop looks promising.
9. RACE BEATER – Average in trials, watching brief first up.
10. JUNGJEON MAMA – Actually managed to win her trial. It wasn’t especially quick but she clearly knows what she’s supposed to do.
11. CLEAN UP SECRET – Offered few clues in trials. Wait and see with this one.
Verdict: Just four of these have raced before and rather handily for our purposes, all four of them went in the same race over this distance on June 17th. (7) MACHA BUCHA was by some margin (three lengths to be precise) the best of them that day and has to be favourite here. (5) MONE FLYING and (6) THE ROSE also raced well that day and will be well-backed to place but will need to improve to beat the favourite. Among the debut-makers (8) AREUMDAUN SOPUNG looks the most forward at this stage.
|Selections||(7) Macha Bucha (8) Areumdaun Sopung (6) The Rose (5) Mone Flying|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 8, 10|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. LAST JACKPOT – 5th last time out was career best. Remains an outsider here.
2. HUNTER HAWK – Four prior tries with a best of 4th. That came over 1000M and he looks to have plenty to find today.
3. BARAM DAEJANG – Last on debut three weeks ago. Jockey booking catches the eye but that’s about it.
4. VIVA GALLOPER – Reasonably well-backed last start on return from four months off but could only manage 7th of 10. Stable and jockey in form and will be backed again.
5. INCITATUS – Beat a couple of these on his was to 4th place, his best finish to date, last time and should beat plenty again.
6. TAMNA KING – Apprentice Kim Deok Hyun has 2 wins from 6 rides so far and could get another here. Close in all three so far and only 52kg today. Big chance.
7. CHODONG RACE – Solid if unspectacular in three starts so far. Best was a 3rd place at this distance. Likely front-runner and should really place.
8. CHEONGUN NARAE – Best of 3rd was at 1200M in March. Hasn’t looked like repeating in three efforts since.
9. MIGHTY WA – Six months between 1st and 2nd outings. 7th of 11 on June return, could be better here.
10. SEMYEONG KHAN – Sent off at odds-on on debut last month but only managed 2nd. Should have the beating of most again.
Verdict: It’s been quite the start to his career for apprentice Kim Deok Hyun and he can maintain his momentum by partnering (6) TAMNA KING to victory here. 4th last time out, at this distance, he’ll settle just behind the early speed and should have too much later on. (10) SEMYEONG KHAN was 2nd on debut and may well have to settle for similar today while (4) VIVA GALLOPER, (5) INCITATUS and (7) CHODONG RACE all raced each other last time and look in the placing frame today.
|Selections||(6) Tamna King (10) Semyeong Khan (5) Incitatus (4) Viva Galloper|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 10|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. GEUMA FORTE – Improved 3rd last time at the distance, running on nicely and in with a shout here.
2. LOVELY DAY – Yet to score in 13, her best finish was a 2nd back in January. Always beats a few and should do so again.
3. TONGIL DAERO – First start since March but looks nicely matched here and he should be in the frame.
4. SERA KHAN – Stepped up to this trip last time and almost made all, weakening to 4th in closing stages. Should have come on for that and can stay a little better today.
5. CHEONGUN BOLT – Not beaten many (two) in two starts so far.
6. HERO KING – A bit ordinary in all six tries so far. Others likely to be quicker again.
7. MORE RICH – 5th on debut and then 3rd last time, both at this distance. This could be his day.
8. MUPAE MAMA – 23rd start today and looking no closer to making the breakthrough.
9. BEST MAID – 6th in both outings to date. Steps up to 1300M for the first time and it may suit.
Verdict: (7) MORE RICH has shown potential in two starts so far, both at this distance and he looks to be the one to beat here, coming from just off the early pace. That’s a pace likely to be set by (3) TONGIL DAERO and (4) SERA KHAN. The former returns from a lengthy spell while the latter just got passed late on last start at this distance and can perhaps stay on a bit better today. (1) GEUMA FORTE looks good for at least a place while (9) BEST MAID looks to have potential for improvement.
|Selections||(7) More Rich (4) Sera Khan (1) Geuma Forte (3) Tongil Daero|
|Next Best||9, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4|
Race 4: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. BEST SHOOTER – Yet to win in 22 and while she goes well on her day, she’s probably not making the breakthrough here.
2. EUMAK DAEJANG – Stepped up to 1700M for first try at this class last month and came last. Should be much better dropped back to the minimum today.
3. TANSEONG YEONBAL – Won at class and distance back on Christmas Eve last year. Best since is 4th a position that in this company, she can aim to match.
4. SENTA POBA – Returned from eight months off to run 3rd of 10 on June 13th. Can have come on for that and looks the one to beat today.
5. DIA TAP – 5th and 4th in two starts at this level since maiden win in April. Can get close again today.
6. HWANHUIUISUNGAN – Was dropped back to this class last time but didn’t show much improvement.
7. DRAGON VILLAGE – Recent form uninspiring.
8. ALBERTUS CROWN – Offered little in seven starts to date.
9. ELECTRIC CHROME – Managed 4th place over 1300M in May. Steps back to this trip for the first time in a while but others look quicker.
Verdict: (4) SENTA POBA returned from a lengthy spell and turned in a very solid performance to run 3rd last month at this distance. He’s the one to beat here. (3) TANSEONG YEONBAL was 6th that day and can get closer today while (2) EUMAK DAEJANG and especially (5) DIA TAP look dangerous.
|Selections||(4) Senta Poba (5) Dia Tap (3) Tanseong Yeonbal (2) Eumak Daejang|
|Fast Start||4, 5|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
1. PUREUN MAE – Shown very little in three starts so far. Only angle is a fresh start after eleven weeks off.
2. INCHEON CHAMP – First-time starter. Average in trials and others favoured here.
3. GEUMA CLIFF – Possibly the first Canford Cliffs colt to run in Korea, he was a A$43K purchase and looked sharp in trials. A chance.
4. YEOKJEONUI USEUNG – Only beat one home on debut but top jockey stays on.
5. SUN POWER – Offered not a lot in three efforts to date.
6. BIO MAGIC – US$30K OBS purchase debuts here. Pretty sharp in a trial and looks in the hunt first up.
7. AEMA BISANG – Korean bred who has won her way up to that level. . Always need to watch out for such horses in races like this.
8. AWESOME SMART – US$45K Keeneland purchase. Well back in trials so probably a watching brief first up is best.
9. SIN DOLGYEOK – Korean bred who has won his way up. A win, two 2nd places and a 3rd from four starts so far, he’ll be fast out of the gate and should win.
10. EAST BERNARDI – Last on debut behind Sin Dolgyeok and plenty to find today.
11. CHANSUNI – Two starts so far, one in January and one in May. Done little but apprentice jockey may tempt.
Verdict: In this type of race, in the absence of any standout young imports, it’s generally best to favour the Korean breds who have won their way up to this level. With that in mind it’s hard to look beyond (9) SIN DOLGYEOK who despite only managing 3rd in a similar contest three weeks ago, should have too much. Another Korean bred, (7) AEMA BISANG is second best while of the imports, we’ll go with (3) GEUMA CLIFF and (6) BIO MAGIC to go well on their respective debuts.
|Selections||(9) Sin Dolgyeok (7) Aema Bisang (3) Geuma Cliff (6) Bio Magic|
|Next Best||11, 1|
|Fast Start||7, 9|
Race 6: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
1. OFFI SAEMI – Returned from four months in June and while he won a trial, his racecourse return was less impressive.
2. SEUNGNI ANGEL – Just gone a little cold in latest two. May appreciate going back up to 1300M but others favoured.
3. DANGDAE GEOLJAK – Not far away in three goes at this level since class 5 win in March. Competitive race here but he can go close again.
4. YOUNG STORM – Winner of two of his last four to quickly move up two classes.4th of 7 on first try at this level last time and that would be a decent target today.
5. CHEON YANG – 3rd of 12 last time at class and distance and in the pacing frame again.
6. WORLD MARK – Well back behind K King last time and plenty to find here.
7. SAEJAE SARANG – Won at this class back in February but has shown few signs of following up in five efforts since.
8. AGAIN SINHWA – Up in class following convincing win over 1300M a month ago. Looks to be more to come and he has a chance here. Front-runner.
9. DAEHAENG DAEBAK – Competitive at this level. Close in recent outings and should be close again.
10. MEGA HIT – Won two of three so far. Quickly up in class but every chance of winning again.
11. K KING – Class 5 winner at this distance on May and then 3rd on first crack at this class last time. A chance.
Verdict: Nice competitive race and the favourites will be emerging from the outside gates. (10) MEGA HIT and (8) AGAIN SINHWA are both up in class with the former looking most likely to continue his development here. (9) DAEHAENG DAEBAK and (11) K KING have already proven themselves capable of competing at this class and will surely be involved too. Any one of the four could win but we’ll side with Mega Hit.
|Selections||(10) Mega Hit (11) K King (8) Again Sinhwa (9) Daehaeng Daebak|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 9|
Race 7: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. BIG SKY – Overcame odds of 50/1 to run 3rd at class and distance last time. Needs more respect today.
2. HANSEONG KING – Big step up in trip for this one but it may well be exactly what he needs. A chance.
3. DREAM CITY – 6th behind Big Sky last time so a bit to find but could sneak a place.
4. SUPER TRICK – First try around two turns but looks ready for it , running on nicely for 3rd over 1300M last start. Big chance.
5. SPEED CORE – Recent form is cold.
6. MUPAEDONGJA – Comes in off back to back 4th place finishes, both at class and distance. A bit to find here. Yet to win in 33.
7. STRONG SHINE – Just the one win in 42 prior outings but usually doesn’t miss by much. Placing chances again.
8. STAR PERFECT – 5th behind Super Trick last time. First try at two turns today. Likely to be on the early pace but will need to improve.
9. SUN VICTOR – Good jockey booking but this one has plenty of form to overturn. Well back behind Private Park and Strong Shine latest.
10. PRIVATE PARK – Enters in good form and is a class and distance winner. Stablemate of Super Trick, he is not to be ruled out.
11. LUCKY MISTER – Has a pair of 3rd places at this class and distance. 9th of 11 last time.
Verdict: Trainer Lee Shin Young sends out (4) SUPER TRICK and (10) PRIVATE PARK here. She’s opted to put up visiting Busan jockeys on both and both look to be very competitive. We’ll give the slight verdict to Super Trick. (2) HANSEONG KING looks the kind who will benefit from the step up in trip while (1) BIG SKY can continue his uptick in form as well.
|Selections||(4) Super Trick (10) Private Park (1) Big Sky (2) Hanseong King|
|Next Best||7, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 8, 10|
Race 8: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. SEONGBULOREUM – Hasn’t found it easy in two tries so far at this level. Up to 1700M for the first time today.
2. DAEBOBAE – 2nd to Rocket Queen last time. Tough to overcome that but she is in the frame.
3. DIDORPHIN – 4th behind Rocket Queen and Daebobae latest. In good form and can get close again.
4. ARGO FLYING – Managed a class and distance 2nd in March but has been a little disappointing in two starts since. A bit to find but could sneak minor money.
5. SSAENGSSAENG DORI – 3rd at class and distance in April but well back behind Rocket Queen and a couple of others last time. Jockey change could entice a few though.
6. SSEN SKY – Much improved 5th last time. Shifts back up to two turns for the first time in a long time but up against it here.
7. ROCKET QUEEN – Formerly with Brian Dean, he was that trainer’s final Korean runner and winner a month ago, beating four of these. Looks to be more to come and she can win this.
8. CHEONHABI – 3rd over 1800M in February but on the slide since.
9. VALLEY STAR – Worst of the five of these who ran against each other on June 17th.
10. COMPASS – No worse than 3rd in five starts so far this year. Solid 2nd in good race over 1800M six weeks ago. A chance.
Verdict: New trainer Jeon Seung Gyu has picked up a lot of horses from Brian Dean’s old stable and (7) ROCKET QUEEN is one of the best. She was a smart winner on June 17th at the distance, beating four of her rivals here in the process. She carries 4.5kg extra today but still looks the one to beat. (2) DAEBOBAE was 2nd that day and (3) DIDORPHIN 4th and those two look to be the main dangers here although (10) COMPASS has been very reliable so far this year and should be a threat.
|Selections||(7) Rocket Queen (2) Daebobae (3) Didorphin (10) Compass|
|Next Best||4, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4|
Race 9: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. EYE SAY WHO DEY – At one time looked very good but recent form is atrocious. Still talent there but hard to back.
2. ILJIN HWARANG – 5th behind Samseong Bulpae last time. Has benefitted since being able to drop back in class and could sneak some minor money.
3. JANGBI HAENGUN – Struggled on first try at this level following an unexpected win in May. Could improve.
4. SEONGPA – Winner at this class in April beating Clean Up Hero. Absolutely blitzed a trial last week.
5. SMOKEY VALE – Strong 4th over 1200M last start and in the hunt today.
6. CLEAN UP HERO – Just beaten a neck by Seongpa in April, he was 5th in a good race in his solitary outing since. Big chance here.
7. WHITE ONE – Recent form uninspiring and an outsider here.
8. NIGHTOUTONTHETOWN – Not too far away in recent outings but tends to find a few too quick and likely will again today.
9. GALACAT – Generally beats a few and can once more. Others favoured though.
10. SAMSEONG BULPAE – 2nd over 1800M last start having made all until close to home. Back in trip today, he looks the one to beat.
11. BEONGAEMA – Up in class following a 2nd place over 1300M a month ago. Plenty to find here.
Verdict: (10) SAMSEONG BULPAE looks to have plenty of promise and although his sole disappointing run to date came on his only prior try at this distance, he can win here. Only a neck separated (4) SEONGPA and (6) CLEAN UP HERO as the pair ran 1st and 2nd in April and both should be competitive here while (5) SMOKEY VALE and (2) ILJIN HWARANG look set to be competitive too.
|Selections||(10) Samseong Bulpae (6) Clean Up Hero (5) Smokey Vale (4) Seongpa|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 8|
Race 10: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
1. KNIGHTHOOD – Showed a glimpse of improvement last time and can look to match the 5th he managed.
2. SUSEONG CAPTAIN – Class and distance winner under 52kg in March, he’s been a bit disappointing in when well backed in the two starts since. Another chance today though.
3. SPECIAL HARBOR – Had a brief sojourn at class 1 but was overmatched. Hasn’t found thins easy on his return to this level either. Beaten by three of these last time.
4. OSAENG MYEONGJANG – A bit ordinary in recent starts and has been beaten by plenty of these.
5. HIDDEN INDIAN – Class and distance winner ahead of three of these in April, he was last on reappearance carrying an extra 5kg last month. Worth another chance.
6. BULKKOCHWANGJA – Still class 3, he takes his chance here but is difficult to back.
7. BLUSHING VOW – 6th behind Knighthood on latest start. A bit to find today.
8. JEONMUHUMU – Comes in off a win and a 2nd place beating plenty of these along the way. Could well be the one to beat.
9. JEOLMYEOHANSEONTAEK – 5th behind Jeonmuhumu last start was his best result so far at this class.
10. WHIZ SPEED – Struggled up at 1800M last time but should be much better dropped back today. 2nd to Hidden Indian in April
Verdict: Competitive race here with any number in with a chance. We’ll go with (8) JEONMUHUMU to continue his run of good form and make all here. (5) HIDDEN INDIAN and (10) WHIZ SPEED both beat Jeonmuhumu back in April and they should be dangerous again while (2) SUSEONG CAPTAIN and (7) BLUSHING VOW are others who could go close.
|Selections||(8) Jeonmuhumu (10) Whiz Speed (5) Hidden Indian (2) Suseong Captain|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8|