There are 10 races at Busan on Friday with the first at 14:30 and the last at 21:00. UK jockey JP Guillambert will have his first Korean rides. Notes on all simulcast races below:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. BUGYEONG DAEBAK – First time starter. Looked competent in trials and great chance to score first-up.
2. HWANGGEUMBITYEONGU – Ten starts so far with a best finish of 5th. May suit being back to minimum trip today but won’t be favoured.
3. MIR KAN – Yet to go any better than 7th in seven attempts. Tough to support here too.
4. LUCKY ADELE – Debut-maker. First foal out of dam who was undistinguished on the track. Average in trials but top trainer & jockey combination.
5. MAKGANG BOLT – Best of 4th among five slow efforts to date. Will need to improve.
6. SARANG MISO – 8th foal from dam, 5 of the others have won. Trialled up in decent fashion and could go well. First start today.
7. YES QUEEN – 1 7 starts so far. Comes in following three consecutive 5th place finishes and no reason why she can’t repeat.
8. DALKOMHAN INSAENG – One of few in this field who has come close before. Should go close again here.
9. YES RED – Bets of 3rd from five starts so far. Disappointed in latest two but worth another chance here.
10. FOREST KING – Six months between first two outings. Showed nothing in either.
Verdict: Weak contest to start with so we’ll go with a debut-maker to strike right away and the prime contender is (1) BUGYEONG DAEBAK, who was strong in her trial and if she brings that form to the races, should have too much. (7) YES QUEEN general beats a few and surely will again while (8) DALKOMHAN INSAENG should also come close. Another debut-maker (6) SARANG MISO shouldn’t have anything to fear either.
|Selections||(1) Bugyeong Daebak (8) Dalkomhan Insaeng (6) Sarang Miso (7) Yes Queen|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 9|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. YUKWAEHAN JILJU – Offered little in two tries so far.
2. NURI STAR – Getting progressively further away in three runs.
3. GOLDEN AGE – Best of 4th among seven outings to date. Should be looking to at least match that here.
4. NAMYANG YEOGEOL – Disappointed when well backed last start coming off the back of a couple of decent performances. Got a bad start that day and worth another chance.
5. URI GIPPEUM – Steps back in trip after a couple of lacklustre spins around a mile. Not much to recommend.
6. CHAM HAENGBOKAN – Has been doing progressively worse in four starts since debut. Good new apprentice jockey on and carrying just 50kg is one angle.
7. SEDA – Much improved 3rd last time out having led much of the way. Should build on that here.
8. MISWICK MYEONGUN – Just one outings so far this year and struggled. Didn’t impress in a June trial and hard to back here.
9. S PARIS – First start of this year after three poor efforts in 2016. OK in trials and a fresh beginning.
10. YEONGGWANGUI CHIC – 4th of 7 on debut and should build on that today.
Verdict: After a 3rd and a 4th in April, (4) NAMYANG YEOGEOL looked ready to go close last time but couldn’t get to the lead early and ended up getting lost in the kickback. In this company, she’s worth another chance. (7) SEDA was a much improved 3rd last time in a similar race to this while (10) YEONGGWANGUI CHIC was 4th on debut and can build on that today. (3) GOLDEN AGE looks best of a weak rest.
|Selections||(4) Namyang Yeogeol (7) Seda (10) Yeonggwangui Chic (3) Golden Age|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 9|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
1. QUEEN STEALTH 5th of 10 on first start since November a month ago. Firmly in the frame today.
2. BARONESS – Not yet lived up to her potential but looks nicely in here. 3rd last time at 1000M and the one they need to beat today.
3. JIRANJIGYO – 4th on debut in May. Up in distance here and an interesting outsider.
4. BUSAN BOLT – A couple of 5th places are her best finishes to date. Could match those today.
5. TOP OF QUEEN – Returned from 10 months off to only beat a couple home over the distance last month. Needed that and will probably need this too.
6. TAEGWON MISO – 20th start today and not looking any closer to maiden victory.
7. GOOD PARK – Beat Top Of Queen when 4th of 9 last start but was beaten by Sonata Up and Atomiji the time before. A bit to find here.
8. SONATA UP – Well backed but disappointed in latest two following decent 3rd in April. Can look to place here.
9. ATOMIJI – Improved 2nd over this distance two weeks ago. Should be on the early speed here and has a big chance.
10. ARIYA – Offered little in three outings so far.
11. GEUJIKOJI – Always beats a few. 5th of 11 last time and not impossible here.
Verdict: Fillies only and this is a very good chance for (2) BARONESS to get off the mark. She’s never been worse than 5th in four starts to date, should be on the early speed and can go all the way. Also looking to get on that speed early will be (9) ATOMIJI, a much-improved 2nd last time out, albeit a long way behind a good winner, and she has claims too. (1) QUEEN STEALTH put in an encouraging run first-up last month and can build on it today while (8) SONATA UP could also go close.
|Selections||(2) Baroness (9) Atomiji (1) Queen Stealth (8) Sonata Up|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 9, 11|
Race 4: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. K O BARAM – Career best of 2nd last start ahead of For Bart in soft race at the distance. Can look to place again.
2. MALIBU RULER – Unexpected 3rd place over 1300M last start. Hasn’t gone well at a mile before but can’t be completely ruled out.
3. FOR BART – 4th of 8 behind K O Baram on latest. Has a bit to find.
4. GOLDEN TROPHY – 6th behind three of these on June 23rd. That was his first start for five months and he could improve today.
5. BULMYEORUIMARIPGAN – He’s only got one gear and it isn’t 5th. He’ll stick to task though and plenty will come back to him.
6. SEONGSIL SEUNGNI – 3rd, just a nose behind Sojunghan Inyeon on June 23rd and should get close again.
7. CHOEGANG STEALTH – 2nd last time out over 1300M. Beat a couple of these on previous try at this distance and has a chance here.
8. SOJUNGHAN INYEON – 2nd ahead of three of these on June 23rd, and looks ready to go one better here.
9. ROYAL TRIPLE – Not too far away in each of last three. Chance for jockey J-P Guillambert on his first day at the Korean office.
10. HWANGGEUM DOKSURI – Offered little in three outings to date.
11. RICH BOLT – Best of 2nd was back in February. Minor money at best.
12. MADOBIYEON – Steps up to a mile for the first time having been 2nd and 4th in latest two, both at 1300M.
Verdict: (8) SOJUNGHAN INYEON beat (6) SEONGSIL SEUNGNI and two others who go here when they raced each other at class and distance on June 23rd and the pair of them have solid claims to be battling it out for the top prize today. However, they’ll need to watch out for (7) CHOEGANG STEALTH, an improved 2nd last time and one who surely has wins in him. (1) K O BARAM looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(8) Sojunghan Inyeon (7) Choegang Stealth (6) Seongsil Seungni (1) K O Baram|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||10, 11, 12|
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. JEOKDOUI HWASIN – Yet to win in 20 but not too far away in recent efforts and should close by.
2. DINAH – First start since February. Trailed up well and is in the hunt here.
3. HAEUNDAE YEOGEOL – Up in class having convincingly won an al-filly event at this distance on June 16th. Can win again.
4. WOLHADOKJAK – Close on each of last four. Beat Jeokdoui Hwasin on the way to 3rd last start and surely in the placing frame again.
5. MINE – Steps back in trip following two poor efforts over 1300M. Outsider today.
6. BUYEONG TOWER – Been getting further away at this level.
7. FIRST WINNING – Hasn’t found it easy in three attempts at this class.
8, BEONGGEULBEONGGEUL – Disappointing 9th of 11 last time but has proven competitive at this level and can go better today.
Verdict: The manner of (3) HAEUNDAE YEOGEOL’s maiden victory last time suggests that despite being up in class here, she’s still the one to beat. She has the best start of these and could well lead from gate to wire. (2) DINAH and (4) WOLHADOKJAK have proven competitive at this level and could cause problems while likewise (1) JEOKDOUI HWASIN, beaten by Wolhadokjak last time, can also be involved.
|Selections||(3) Haeundae Yeogeol (2) Dinah (4) Wolhadokjak (1) Jeokdoui Hwasin|
|Next Best||8, 6|
Race 6: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. GWANGYAUI JILJU – Two starts into a comeback following four months out. Can improve today.
2. DUBAI TEUKGEUP – A$65,000 purchase makes his debut here. Didn’t stand out in trials but has to be given a chance first up here.
3. PHONE TAP – Offered few clues in two outings so far.
4. KING KANTHAROS – Beaten very few in three races.
5. FANTASTIC JOY – She’s won three of six so far and was a winner at domestic class 4 last time at this distance. Very much the one to beat.
6. MARION COUNTY – Yet to win in 15 and this is unlikely to be the day it changes.
7. POWER MESSENGER – First start since February. Trialled up in average fashion but jockey booking is eye-catching.
8. YEOWANGUI TANSAENG – Improved last start following a couple of months off. Still plenty to find.
9. PHILIP AND GIRAFFE – Always well backed, he is yet to score in six. Returns for the first time since February and trialled well. He’ll be backed again.
10. DAEWANGBONG –Beat a couple of these on way to 5th place last start. 5th would be a good finish here.
11. GOLD SKY – Plenty of experience and although recent form is uninspiring, could sneak some minor money.
12. SUPER EAGLE – Started career well but offered little of late.
Verdict: (5) FANTASTIC JOY was a seven-length winner at domestic class 4 on June 16th, making all and it this distance, she’s very hard to oppose. She should make all again. Debut-making Aussie import (2) DUBAI TEUKGEUP is the only other one who catches the eye. His trial wasn’t special but he proved he knows what to do and could be interesting. (1) GWANGYAUI JILJU and (9) PHILIP AND GIRAFFE are best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Fantastic Joy (2) Dubai Teukgeup (9) Philip And Giraffe (1) Gwangyaui Jilju|
|Next Best||11, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 5|
Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. YUSEONG VICTORY – Struggled in two goes at this level.
2. IMPASSIONED MARINE – Only beat a couple home on first start for six months two weeks ago. Can improve today but not yet backable.
3. MORNING PARK – Class and distance winner on June 16th. Carries 4.5kg more today but must be respected.
4. ADELEUI JINJU – 5th on first try at this level last start and can build on that today.
5. HAPPY SOUND – Getting colder in latest efforts.
6. HELLO VENUS – Never worse than 4th and got her maiden win last time. Up in class but looks nicely in and can win.
7. YEONGGWANGUI PARK –A winner at this class over 1200M just two weeks ago. Has gone ok at the distance before and could be in the hunt.
8. INDIAN PARK –Well back behind Yeonggwangui Park on latest outing.
9. CHOEGANG FORCE – Beaten three lengths by Hello Venus last time but joins that one up in class today. Has a bit to find on that one but can be competitive.
10. WINNING GILI – Exceeded expectations to run 5th of 11 last time out. Up against it again today though.
Verdict: Having come close plenty of times, (6) HELLO VENUS got her maiden win last time. She’s up in class here but looks nicely in and has every chance of leading all the way once more. (9) CHOEGANG FORCE was 2nd that day and comes up in class too and while he has a bit to find on Hello Venus, should beat plenty. (3) MORNING PARK and (7) YEONGGWANGUI PARK both enter having won their respective latests both at this class and must be respected while (4) ADELEUI JINJU can get close too.
|Selections||(6) Hello Venus (9) Choegang Force (7) Yeonggwangui Park (3) Morning Park|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7|