The day before The Busan Mayor’s Cup sees a full Saturday card at Seoul Racecourse. There are 11 races from 14:00 until 21:00. English racecards are here, notes on simulcast races below:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. BICHEON OGONG – Only beat one home in a slow effort on debut and no reason to recommend just three weeks on.
2. SUPER FIELD – Debut-maker today. 5th in his trial in a slow time and a watching brief is to be taken first-up.
3. BAENONGI – Slow in all three outings so far and no grounds for support today.
4. BAIKAL JEONSA – Apprentice Kim Deok Hyun rode his first winner on just his second race ride last week and could get his second here. 2nd last time and this is his to lose.
5. DUSON EYE – 5th on debut but had a hard time when up to 1300M on reappearance. Back at 1000M and with a better draw today, he can be better.
6. CHOWON GANGJA – Lucky not to have to requalify after a slow last of 11 on debut at the end of May. The only way is up.
7. HONEY BAROWS – Disappointed when odds-on favourite over 1300M a month ago. Has weakened in all four races so far so no surprise she’s finally tried at the minimum. Big chance.
8. BEST GEOPO – A full eleven months between first and second starts and he was much better on his return running 4th of 9 on June 11th. Can improve again.
9. ONE TWO THREE – Much improved 5th on third outing on June 4th. Wasn’t quick so still a bit to find here but certainly placing chances.
10. FIRST QUEEN – Distinctly average and not very quick in two tries so far.
11. NAMSAN PARTY – Last of 11 on debut. Did win a trial before that but it was slow.
12. ROYAL ACE – Race three times last summer and autumn without distinction. Trialled up without distinction in June.
Verdict: (4) BAIKAL JEONSA was a close 2nd at this distance last time and we’ll side with him to go one better here, likely leading all the way. It’s by no means a one-horse race though and (8) BEST GEOPO was much improved on his second outing last month and can continue to progress here, Likewise (7) HONEY BARROWS finally gets a shot at the minimum distance and it could suit. The winner looks likely to come from those three with (5) DUSEON EYE and (9) ONE TWO THREE slightly longer shots.
Selections (4) Baikal Jeonsa (7) Honey Barrows (8) Best Geopo (9) One Two Three
Next Best 5, 10
Fast Start 2, 4, 5, 12
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
1. ECTON SINHWA – Only start was in January when she was 10th of 12. Trialled up a little better two weeks ago but not recommended first up.
2. GOLD SEUTAK – Best result from seven prior goes is a 5th place. That looks repeatable here.
3. BLUE ANNA – Decent 5th of 10 on debut and can build on that today.
4. SEUNGNIUI YEOWANG – A 2nd and a 3rd among her last three outings. Good draw for a fast start here and she can win this.
5. BIG ACE – Debut-maker. He’s a half-brother to Champ Line who’s won five consecutive class 1 races at Busan. 2nd in his trial and in the frame first up.
6. JEULGEOUN JILJU – Offered little in three slow efforts so far.
7. MINDEULRAE CHUKJE – Bit ordinary in all five prior outings. Should beat a couple but others likely to be quicker.
8. GOODDAY POWER – Decent enough 6th of 10 over 1300M on debut, can build on that here.
9. HAPPY HONEY – 5th on debut followed up by a 4th place on second start. In the frame today.
10. PYEWOL SUHWA – Much improved 3rd last start. If she can get on the early speed, she’ll be in the hunt again.
11. HIGH STAR – Not too far away in her last two. Hasn’t shown a huge amount of speed but could improve again today.
12. SOKBO ONGJU – Best in seven outings so far a 4th place. Times have been too slow to suggest she’ll make much impact.
Verdict: Just fillies here and (4) SEUNGNIUI YEOWANG can take advantage of the plum draw for a fast start and get her maiden win at what will be the seventh time of asking. (9) HAPPY HONEY has shown promise in two tries so far and looks set to show further improvement today while (10) PYEWOL SUHWA looks to be figuring things out too. The one debut-maker is (5) BIG ACE and she looked promising in trials and will be backed due to her family connection here.
Selections (4) Seungniui Yeowang (9) Happy Honey (10) Pyewol Suhwa (5) Big Ace
Next Best 8, 3
Fast Start 4, 5, 10
Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
1. CLAY JANGGUN – Steadily improving. 3rd at 1300M last start and can get close again today.
2. SUN PLAZA – Well backed in all four prior outings and 2nd last time over 1300M. Big chance here.
3. CHOWON YEOJEONSA – Returned from five months off in May. Has beaten a few on two starts since but hasn’t looked like troubling the placings.
4. JABIDONGHAENG – Much improved 2nd place over this distance on latest start – all seven attempts have been at the minimum. Repeat not impossible.
5. HWANGGEUM YEONMOT – Started ok around the turn of the year but has been getting further away in recent efforts.
6. GAMGYEOGUI SUNGAN – Debut-maker. Half-brother to five winners in Korea though none of them stars. Decent showing in her trial and could go well.
7. BULHUUI SEUNGJA – Second when stepped back to this distance last time. Fast starter and should be in the frame.
8. KAISER QUEEN – 4th of 10 last time was her best result so far. Others have been quicker so a bit to find.
9. GREEN TEA – Debut-maker. Average in trials. Watching brief probably best first up.
10. STORMY PASSION – Not too far away in recent starts. Bit more to find but was 4th on wet track last time.
11. DRAFT ONE – Few clues in two outings to date.
12. ARGO UNIQUE – 5th of 6 behind Clay Janggun last time and a bit to find today.
Verdict: Another all-filly affair and (2) SUN PLAZA is the one to beat. She steps back to the minimum distance following a solid 2nd place over 1300M at the end of May and looks ready to win. (1) CLAY JANGGUN also steps back in trip after a decent spin around 1300M and can be dangerous while there will likely be at least placing support for (7) BULHUUI SEUNGJA and first-time starter (6) GAMGYEOGUI SUNGAN, whose siblings have almost all managed to win races at this level.
Selections (2) Sun Plaza (1) Clay Janggun (7) Bulhuui Seungja (6) Gamgyeogui Sungan
Next Best 4, 3
Fast Start 1, 4, 6, 7
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. CRYSTALGACHI – Offered little in four outings so far.
2. NEULPUREUN CHEONHA – No better than seventh in five attempts.
3. JILJUUI CHANG – Getting closer. Comes in off back to back 3rd place finishes, beaten by Colors Queen last start. Should be aiming at least for 2nd today.
4. COLORS QUEEN – The favourite. She beat Jiljuui Sin when racing 2nd over the distance on June 11th and under Antonio Da Silva once more, can make the breakthrough.
5. BLACK MUSIC – Managed a 4th place over 1200M in February but was 7th of 11 on return in May. Others favoured.
6. ONE LEADER – Improved 5th behind Colors Queen and Jiljuui Chang on June 11th and can get closer today.
7. IDAERO – Yet to trouble the prize-givers in nine outings.
8. ILDEUNG YEOGEOL – A little inconsistent but capable at the distance on her day. Could sneak a place.
9. BEAUTIFUL ASIA – Less than impressive in two slow efforts to date.
10. SINK SWING – Generally beats a few and managed a 5th of 11 last tie. 5th would be a very good result here.
11. YAHO CHAMPION – 7th of 10 last time. New apprentice jockey will interest some but an outsider.
12. CONTRAIL – The only debut-maker in the field, she looked good in her trial and could go well first up.
Verdict: (4) COLORS QUEEN defeated both (3) JILJUUI CHANG and (6) ONE LEADER over this distance on June 11th and the three of them look to be the leading contenders here. Well go with Colors Queen to confirm the form. Aside from those it’s quite slim pickings but the sole debut-maker (12) CONTRAIL looked like she knew what she was doing in trials and could go well first up.
Selections (4) Colors Queen (3) Jiljuui Chang (6) One Leader (12) Contrail
Next Best 8
Fast Start 3, 4, 8
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. SEONGEUN GANGJA – Inconsistent but could slip into a minor prizemoney spot.
2. HAENURI – Class and distance winner in April and followed up with a 4th and a 3rd. Beat three of these last time and should go close again.
3. GAECHEONUI YONG – Beaten a neck by Haenuri last start. Every chance of overturning that form today.
4. HWANSANGUI DOYAK – A little inconsistent of late. Capable of a minor money finish but others favoured.
5. ROYAL BRONZE – Got her maiden win on her second start in April and followed it up with a 4th on first try at this class behind Haenuri and Gaechonui Yong. In the frame.
6. MISUJAE – Recent form has been cold but really top jockey booking will tempt plenty.
7. GWANGMYEONG SARANG – Returned from five months out to run last of 10 over 1300M on June 10th. Plenty to find.
8. CLEANUP SEED – Struggled in recent outings.
9. CHAMBIT –Up in class following maiden win on third start a month ago. Can be considered.
10. SOKBO TAEJA – Got promoted without a win and has struggled in two tries at this level.
Verdict: Four of these raced each other over this distance on June 10th and there was just a neck in it between (2) HAENURI in 3rd and (3) GAECHEONUI YONG in 4th. (5) ROYAL BRONZE was a further four-lengths back in 5th place. The latter two look to have a bit more potential to improve than the veteran Haenuri so we’ll look for them to overturn that form today. Also in that race was (6) MISUJAE, whose recent form has been poor but does have an eye-catching jockey booking. Up in class (9) CHAMBIT is another to consider.
Selections (3) Gaecheonui Yong (5) Royal Bronze (2) Haenuri (9) Chambit
Next Best 6, 1
Fast Start 3, 5
Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. CHEONJI GONGSA – A winner at this level over 1700M in March. Steps back in trip today and not impossible.
2. WINNER BLACK – Hasn’t impressed in three tries so far at this level but could be worth another chance in this company.
3. SILVER LION – Up in class following maiden win over this distance on June 10th. Should be in the hunt here too.
4. GAJANG MEONJEO – 5th last start was her best at this class so far. Others will be favoured but could match that here.
5. PARTY POWER – Yet to score in 22 and unlikely to put that right today although should beat plenty.
6. LIM FARM – Does occasionally sneak a place but will need to find a bit more here than she’s shown of late.
7. SO ARA CHEONJI – 4th and a 2nd in two starts at this level since maiden win. Looks ready to win again and will be the favourite. Could lead all the way.
8. WHITE CUPID – Managed a couple of solid finishes recently but was last of 11 last time and will be an outsider today.
9. FOREVER QUEEN – Class and distance winner last November but has gone cold since.
10. JUGEUKSEONG – Recent form uninspiring. Tough ask for new apprentice jockey.
11. AREUMDAUN SUNGAN – Not beaten many in recent efforts.
Verdict: Another all filly (and mare) contest. (7) SO ARA CHEONJI has proven competitive at this level and while all her starts so far have been at the minimum distance, there’s nothing to suggest she won’t stay on 1300M and win today. She’s certainly the standout in a less than stellar field and main competitor could turn out to be the up in class (3) SILVER LION. We know she stays the distance as she won at it last month. Among the others (1) CHEONJI GONGSA and (2) WINNER BLACK could be ones to step up.
Selections (7) So Ara Cheonji (3) Silver Lion (1) Cheonji Gongsa (2) Winner Black
Next Best 5, 9
Fast Start 4, 7
Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
1. CARRIER – Well back behind Together Hug last time but could make the minor money in this small field.
2. DAEJANGBAK – 2nd in both tries at this class so far. Steps up to 1700M for the first time and has every chance.
3. SOKBO GANGJA – First try at the distance but has never finished better than 4th and won’t be favoured to today either.
4. TOGETHER HUG – Solid 3rd place at class and distance last time. Still yet to get her maiden win but looks on the verge and it could be here.
5. EOUL DEOUL – Offered little in five starts to date.
6. SEOCHANG BIHO – Has gone ok at class and distance but was 10th of 12 behind Together Hug last time.
7. CHAMPION GLORY – Up in class following maiden win last time. It was at this distance so he must be taken seriously. Came from just off the pace and will try similar here.
8. CUPID BOY – Recent form is uninspiring.
Verdict: (4) TOGETHER HUG was a close 3rd at this distance last start beating a couple of the others who go here and he can get the job done today. (2) DAEJANGBAK steps up to two-turns for the first time having come close on both attempts at this level over 1300M and is firmly in the frame while good performances can be delivered too by (7) CHAMPION GLORY and (1) CARRIER.
Selections (4) Together Hug (2) Daejangbak (7) Champion Glory (1) Carrier
Next Best 3, 5
Fast Start 2, 3, 4