This Sunday sees one of the year’s highlights; The Busan Mayor’s Cup. In the past it’s brought us clashes between Tough Win and Dongbanui Gangja, Dangdae Bulpae and Smarty Moonhak. This year Clean Up Joy and Triple Nine are set to face each other alongside a host of big names in the “Summer Grand Prix”.
Before that though we have a busy Friday of racing on the South coast as Busan hosts 10 Friday races from 14:30 to 21:00. Notes on simuclast races below:.
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. GOP DDA – 5th in her trial, well behind the winner.
2. YEONGCHEON HERO – 3rd in trial behind Testa Magic. Trainer usually does well with 2-year-olds and he is sure to be backed.
3. TESTA MAGIC – Won her trial very comfortably. Big chance first-up.
4. ADAMARIS – Average time in trials but it was a slow heat anyway so few clues there.
5. EURO GONGJU – The only one of the seven who has raced before. Her 6th of 11 was in no way a disgrace and she may well have come on for it.
6. CHOEGANG SEONBONG – Just scraped through qualifying and will need a big improvement to compete first-up.
7. BELLAMY GONGJU – Same owner as Euro Gongju although different trainer. Didn’t catch the eye in trials.
Verdict: Six debut-makers here and among them, (3) TESTA MAGIC was the one who performed the best in trials, winning her heat very comfortably and has to be favourite here. (2) YEONGCHEON HERO qualified 3rd, a long way back, in the same trial and should be looking for places right away here. Among the other debut-makers, (1) GOP DDA and (4) ADAMARIS did ok and can step up to the track while the only one with racing experience, (5) EURO GONGJU should certainly go better than the 6th she scored on debut.
|Selections||(3) Testa Magic (5) Euro Gongju (2) Yeongcheon Hero (4) Adamaris|
|Next Best||1, 7, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 1|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
1. HANEULUI TTEUT – Debuted last autumn before being put away for the winter. Not shown a lot in two 8th placed finishes since.
2. DEER QUEEN – Few clues in only beating a couple home on debut on June 16th.
3. RUNNING GIRL – Improved 3rd on second outing on June 9th over 1300M having led early. Drops back to 1000M today and in the frame.
4. VICTORY ROAD – Debut-maker. Hard to back on the basis of her trial
5. TRUMPET MAJOR – Finished in midfield in both outings so far. Improvement not impossible but hasn’t been quick.
6. UICHEONGEOM – Sent back to trial after weakening badly on debut at 1200M. Requalified in ok fashion and may have better luck today.
7. CHEONJI RHYTHM – Beat just one home on debut and will need to show more before she can be backed.
8. YEOWANGUI JEONGWON – Has shown improvement in each of four outings to date, all at this distance. 4th last time behind Stormy Magic and in the hunt today.
9. HAEDONG YEOGEOL – Most experienced with 8 starts behind her. Best a 3rd and that could be matched today.
10. ACE WOMAN – Debut-maker. 2nd in trials albeit the time wasn’t quick. Could go well.
11. JJANGSUNI – Debut-maker who won her trial and should be in the frame first up.
12. STORMY MAGIC – Much improved 2nd on June 9th over this distance and could well be the one to beat.
Verdict: All filly contest here and it’s competitive too. It looks a toss-up between (3) RUNNING GIRL and (12) STORMY MAGIC, both of whom improved last time. The latter looks a bit more forward at this stage and can overcome the outside gate to score. Plenty of others in with a shout with (8) YEOWANGUI JEONGWON and (9) HAEDONG YEOGEOL have shown glimpses of talent while of the two debut-makers, (11) JJANGSUNI must be in with a chance having won her trial.
|Selections||(12) Stormy Magic (3) Running Girl (11) Jjangsuni (8) Yeowangui Jeongwon|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. SAEROUN STAR – 6th behind Sinbihan Jilju last time so some form to make up but looks to have placing chances at least.
2. MOST POPULAR – Much improved 3rd on second outing on June 9th. Steps up to further than the minimum distance for the first time.
3. JIBONG YEONGUNG – 20 starts without a win. One second to his name and not usually too far away. Should look to beat the 6th of 12 he managed last time.
4. SANDEUL – A little disappointing when well backed on first try at this distance having run on well, if too late, at 1000M. Another chance today.
5. NEW HAPPY DAY – Usually comes close but is yet to finish any better than 3rd in 11 attempts.
6. HWARYEOHAN TAEYANG – Similar to New Happy Day who she has raced against a lot recently. Always close but never quite there. Similar likely today.
7. CHANGE KHAN – Showed slight improvement last time but not enough to suggest a win is imminent.
8. MANSUN – Best so far a 4th place over 1200M in May but didn’t build on it last time. First try at distance today.
9. GASOK TRIPLE – Hasn’t been quick in two outings to date but showed some improvement last time and could continue to improve today.
10. SKY ROCKET – Stepped up to a mile for his second start a month ago and for the second time beat just one home. Top trainer/jockey though and will be backed.
11. MY TIME – Improved 6th of 11 last time and can look to build on that today.
12. SINBIHAN JILJU – A 2nd and a 3rd from his last three with a disappointing 9th sandwiched between them. Big chance today.
Verdict: (12) SINBIHAN JILJU and (1) SAEROUN STAR finished 3rd and 6th respectively when they raced each other on June 16th at class and distance. That wasn’t expected but we’ll go with Sinbihan Jilju to confirm the form today with Saeroun Star among the placings. Those two are likely to head the market but we’ll give honourable mentions to (2) MOST POPULAR, (5) NEW HAPPY DAY and (6) HWARYEOHAN TAEYANG who should also be able to challenge for the money.
|Selections||(12) Sinbihan Jilju (1) Saeroun Star (2) Most Popular (5) New Happy Day|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. YUYUJAJEOK – Debut-maker from Peter Wolsley’s stable has to be taken seriously although he didn’t shine in a slow trial behind Golden Knight.
2. GOLDEN KNIGHT – Debut-maker who comes in having been 2nd in his trial ahead of Yuyujajeok. Not impossible.
3. GHOST WARRIOR – Showed slight improvement in his second start but still has plenty to find to challenge.
4. HAPPY TOUR – 3rd in both starts to date, running on well both times. Up to 1300M for the first time and the one they need to beat here.
5. HUIMANGUI NORAE – Defied long odds to record back to back 4ths in latest two beating a couple of these along the way.
6. YEONGUNG JEWANG –5th on first start back since January last month. Can better that today.
7. NEUTRON – 6th of 10 when sent up to a mile on June 9th having been last of 7 on debut. Not recommended here but could improve.
8. HAESEONG SPEED – Best from seven outings so far a 5th place. Matching that today would be a good performance.
9. JUNE MORNING – Scratching at the gate last month when well fancied after neighbouring horse went down. Shown talent and one to consider here.
10. SEUNGSEUNG JANGGUN – Encouraging debut but a little disappointing on second start, Worth another chance here.
11. YONGSUNI – 6th of 10 last time her best to date. Can build on that today.
12. GEUMBIT HWANHO – Best of 2nd among twelve starts. Recent form not encouraging.
Verdict: Having scored back to back 3rds in both his starts to date, it’s time for (4) HAPPY TOUR to push on here and get his maiden win. He steps up half a furlong further then before and should be hard to beat. (5) HUIMANGUI NORAE and (9) JUNE MORNING, the latter an unlucky gate scratching last time, look best placed to stop the favourite while improvement from (6) YEONGUNG JEWANG can’t be ruled out.
|Selections||(4) Happy Tour (9) June Morning (5) Huimangui Norae (6) Yeongung Jewang|
|Next Best||10, 3|
|Fast Start||6, 11|
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. CHARYONG – 3rd of 10 behind a winner who’s gone on to win again on first try and this class on June 9th and firmly in the mix here. Front runner.
2. DON’T STOP – Yet to win in 20 outings and getting colder in recent outings. Drops back in distance today.
3. FOREVER VICTORY – Yet to win in 20 and a long time since he was in the hunt for prize money.
4. GEUMBIT GONGJU – Promoted to this level without a win off the back of two strong 2nd place finishes at this distance. Can be competitive.
5. TEXAS QUEEN – Struggled on first try at this level having come too close too many times at class 6. Tough ask again.
6. KOREA HUNTER – managed a 3rd on first try at this class in April, beating Peace Bery, but has been getting colder in three attempts since.
7. PEACE BERY – Enters in good form and has beaten a few of these in his latest two. May not be in the frame for the win but can get close.
8. OH MY CAPTAIN –Sent back to trial after poor effort a month ago. Didn’t look much better in that trial.
9. MERLIN NEWS –Capable of picking up minor money at this level but anything more would be a surprise.
10. EORIN YEOWANG – Could only manage 7th of 10 in competitive race last time. Yet to win in 12 but can go close again.
11. HANNAM ROOKIE – Beaten by Peace Bery on latest start and plenty to find today.
Verdict: (1) CHARYONG’s 3rd place last time out is looking better in retrospect and he’ll be favourite to land his second career win back at the same distance he secured his first. (4) GEUMBIT GONGJU and (10) EORIN YEOWANG are both useful and shouldn’t miss out on places although a solid run from (7) PEACE BERY is always a possibility.
|Selections||(1) Charyong (4) Geumbit Gongju (10) Eorin Yeowang (7) Peace Bery|
|Next Best||5, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 4|
Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. ILLYU SINHWA – Never better than 4th and was 9th behind a couple of these last time. Lots of form to overturn.
2. DEVIL KING – Struggled of late and an outsider today.
3. MIRACLE YEONGUNG – Never better than 5th. Usually beats a few and should do so again but some others will likely be too quick.
4. CHARTERED DREAM – Much improved 3rd of 11 ahead of a couple of these last time
5. SWOOP – Struggled a little in two starts back following six months off. 8th behind Chartered Dream latest. Not without talent so could improve.
6. BUGYEONG DOLPUNG – A little inconsistent, she is capable on her day but was last of 11 on latest appearance.
7. KWAEHAN TANSAENG – Won two in a row to go from class 6 to class 4. Struggled in two outings since but top jockey perseveres and improvement can happen.
8. MOMENT – Really struggled in five attempts at this class.
9. YEONGGWANGUISINHWA – 7th of 10 last time and any improvement would be the goal.
10. TOKYO BLUE – Beat a couple of these when 4th last time. Always well backed but yet to be better than 3rd. Not missed out by much and this could be his day.
11. QUE SERA SERA – Won two of his first three to get to this class. Slightly disappointing 6th on first attempt on June 11th but still looks the one to beat today.
Verdict: It’s the two widest draws here who should be fighting this one out between them. (11) QUE SERA SERA has won his way up from class 6 while the import (10) TOKYO BLUE had to begin at this level. Both should be up in class sooner or later and we’ll go with Bart Rice’s gelding to prevail today. The two of them will likely have too much for a field among which (4) CHARTERED DREAM and (7) KWAEHAN TANSAENG look best of the rest.
|Selections||(11) Que Sera Sera (10) Tokyo Blue (4) Chartered Dream (7) Kwaehan Tansaeng|
|Next Best||5, 9|
Race 7: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
1. IRON TRAIN – Class and distance winner in May but 8th behind Wooa and Kkeutpan Booster last start and a bit to find here.
2. ROYAL IMPACT – Very solid 3rd at odds on excess of 100/1 at class and distance on June 2nd, beating a couple of these. Needs more respect today.
3. WOOA – Always close and enters off a solid 4th ahead of Kkeutpan Booster and Iron Train on latest outing on first try at this level two weeks ago. Nicely weighted and a chance.
4. GLORY DAYS – Started encouragingly at this level but seems to have lost his way in latest two. A bit to find today.
5. PPUDEUT – Five consecutive 2nd places have been followed by three consecutive wins including at this class last time. More weight today but he’s won under it at class 3 and is the one they need to beat.
6. MR. KAISER – Registered an unlikely 3rd place at class and distance in May but hasn’t looked like repeating in two outings since.
7. BEOLMA SONYEON – Beat Wooa on his way to a class 3 win on June 9th. Nicely in the weights and could go well once more.
8. SINSEGYE GANGJA – Comes in off a couple of decent 5ths, the first of which was behind Iron Train in May. Can repeat.
9. MR. WHY – Form gone cold recently although top jockey booking today.
10. WISH ME LUCK – Up in class following a class 3 victory at this distance on June 4th. A bit to find but not impossible.
11. KKEUTPAN BOOSTER –7th of 12 on first try at this level two weeks ago, behind Wooa but ahead of Iron Train. Can be more competitive today.
Verdict: (5) PPUDEUT is turning into quite the horse and despite being up in the weights since his last win, it’s a mark he’s won at before at a lower class and he’s the pick to make it four in a row today. Fourth on his first try at this class just a couple of weeks ago and beautifully weighted here, (3) WOOA is next best but there’s plenty of decent ones in here and (1) IRON TRAIN, (7) BEOLMA SONYEON and (10) WISH ME LUCK are others who’ll have their backers.
|Selections||(5) Ppudeut (3) Wooa (7) Beolma Sonyeon (10) Wish Me Luck|
|Next Best||1, 11|
|Fast Start||9 10|