There are 10 races at Busan on Friday with the first at 14:30 and the last at 21:00. English racecards are here. Notes on races for overseas simulcast are below:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
1. BAENGNYEON SIDAE – Won his trial beating Wanbong in the process and can go well first up.
2. WORLD SUN – Didn’t impress in his trial but trainer tends to do well with 2-year-olds so will have some backing.
3. WANBONG – Well back behind Baengnyeon Sidae in his trial and hard to back at this stage.
4. TASK FORCE – By far the best in trials, winning comfortably in a fast time and will be strong favourite here.
5. GYEONGJUUI DUREBAK – Took a couple of goes to qualify but looked smart enough doing it at the end of May. 2nd fastest time among these and in the hunt.
6. ACE DOLPUNG – Won his trial, albeit in a slower time than some of the others so clearly knows what he’s supposed to do.
7. YEONGCHEON STAR – Only beat one home in his trial but he was in with experienced horses. Watching brief first up.
8. NOPIGOM NAREUSYA – Average in his trail although he beat World Sun. Could make for an interesting outsider.
Verdict: (4) TASK FORCE made all in his trial and looked good, winning it in a time that wouldn’t be out of place in an actual race and Bart Rice’s colt will be strong favourite to score first-up here. On the limited available evidence, he’s hard to oppose with (5) GYEONGJUUI DUREBAK looking next best followed by (1) BAENGNYEON SIDAE and (6) ACE DOLPUNG looking best of the rest of these unraced juveniles.
|Selections||(4) Task Force (1) Baengnyeon Sidae (5) Gyeongjuui Durebak (6) Ace Dolpung|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6|
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. MYEONGSIN POWER – There was a year between in his 1st and 2nd outings and he returned gelded and much better, running 3rd four weeks ago. Big chance.
2. BRAMA CHANCE – Debut-maker. It’s taken a while to get to the track but he trialled up in decent enough fashion to make him an interesting outsider.
3. ATOMIJI – Shown progressively less in three outings so far but looks to have some talent. First try at the distance and it may suit if she can get on speed early.
4. MISS GANGJA – Not coming any closer to a maiden win and looks to be an easy toss here.
5. WIRE BAND – Returned for the first time this year in May and came last. Big outsider again.
6. CONFIDENTIAL – 6th of 11 on debut sporting the Yoshida colours on June 2nd. Can improve here.
7. MUST LADY – Offered few clues in two slow efforts so far.
8. SPECIAL POWER – Average in two starts to date. Stretches out further than the minimum distance for the first time and may improve.
9. REMEMBER CAPTAIN – Best in four starts so far is a 5th place over 1000M. Plenty to find here.
10. MANNAMUI SIJAK – 6th of 11 on debut over 1000M at odds of 100/1. Should be much shorter today.
11. VEGA ONE – Improved on first try at this distance a month ago and further improvement is possible today.
Verdict: No stars here but (1) MYEONGSIN POWER has to be favourite after a solid 3rd place on his return from a year out on June 2nd. He could lead all the way here. The form of the others is patchy so we’ll be looking for one to step up. That could be (3) ATOMIJI, who didn’t go well last time but has shown glimpses of talent and steps up to this distance for the first time. (10) MANNAMUI SIJAK put in a creditable performance on debut and can be considered for improvement as can (6) CONFIDENTIAL and (8) SPECIAL POWER.
|Selections||(1) Myeongsin Power (3) Atomiji (10) Mannamui Sijak (6) Confidential|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 9|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. HWANGGEUMBITYEONGU – Improved 5th on latest start but still plenty to find.
2. VICAR OF THE SUN – Comes in off back to back 4ths. A fair way behind the winner both times but looks to have placing chances here.
3. SUPER WINGS – Been a while since his best of 3rd but should beat a few. Others likely to be quicker though.
4. SILENCE TEUKGEUP – Slow in all starts to date and unbackable here.
5. GOLD STAR – Improved 6th last time, running on adequately if unspectacularly. May appreciate the step up to 1300M.
6. NEW PORT – First start of 2017. Trialled up in reasonable fashion and we’ll consider this a fresh start.
7. ONNURI GANGJA – Yet to strike in 14 outings but comes in off a 2nd place over a mile last time and should be looking to at least repeat in this company.
8. ALECTO – Getting closer and was 2nd last start, albeit in less than stellar company. That puts her firmly in the frame here.
9. DESTINY – Came close a few times in the latter part of last year but has shown nothing in three starts in 2017.
10. MALIBU RULER – Never finished any better than 7th and despite another top jockey booking, looks up against it today too.
11. GOLDEN BULLET – Had been doing good work at a mile with two 3rds and two 4ths but disappointed when well backed last start. Worth another chance today.
Verdict: This looks a pretty open contest so we’ll side with the up and comer (8) ALECTO to build on the 2nd place she scored last time, running on nicely over 1200M. In this company she may be ridden a little further forward today and can make the breakthrough. (7) ONNURI GANGJA has been reasonably close in recent starts and is one of a number of others in the frame; (2) VICAR OF THE SUN and (11) GOLDEN BULLET the others who look most likely.
|Selections||(8) Alecto (7) Onnuri Gangja (11) Golden Bullet (2) Vicar Of The Sun|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 8|
Race 4: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. HWANGGEUM DOKSURI – Offered little in two starts so far and an outsider here.
2. MIR KAN – Well back in all previous outings and hard to recommend.
3. KIRK MINISTER – 2nd last start at the distance beating Pichichi and K O Baram. Has to be favourite today.
4. FOR BART – Not shown a lot in two starts so far but it’s early days and in this company can be given another chance.
5. SEDA –Yet to be any better than 6th but tries a mile for the first time and could improve.
6. PICHICHI – 5th behind Kirk Minister last start and 3rd at the distance the time before.
7. GAO – Has been marginally better this year but shows few signs of being able to place.
8. K O BARAM – Best from ten starts so far is a 4th place and that could be matched here.
Verdict: Weak race so (3) KIRK MINISTER, 2nd over the distance last start, will have no excuses here. (5) SEDA will likely set the early pace and if she stays on could be a danger while (4) FOR BART and (6) PICHICHI look the others in with a shout of the places.
|Selections||(3) Kirk Minister (5) Seda (4) For Bart (6) Pichichi|
|Next Best||8, 1|
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. ROYAL KELLY – Without a win but up in class having come close. Can come close again.
2. QUEEN MEDIA – Up in class following another placed finish at class 6. Perhaps has a bit to find to compete here.
3. DARMA – 3rd in all three starts so far at this level and an excellent chance of at least matching that today.
4. MANGANG – Has three 4th places at this level and that would be a reasonable aim again today.
5. HAPPY LADY – Improved 4th ay class and distance last time. If she can get a good start here, she is a contender.
6. HYPER STAR – Has found this level challenging and needs improvement to compete.
7. ISIDAE YEONGGWANG – Yet to win in 21 and that probably won’t change here. Can find the minor money at this class on his day.
8. SPIRIT WOMAN – 4th on first try at this level just two weeks ago following maiden win in May. She’s one of the favourites today.
9. SUN LAZER – Yet to win but that could change here. Just missed out by half a length last time at class and distance and if he can lead early, he can stay on to win.
10. BEONGGEULBEONGGEUL – 3rd at class and distance last start and while a couple of others are favoured, she should put in a solid run again today.
11. OHO DAEJANGGUN – Steps back in trip today to favoured 1000M but will need to improve.
Verdict: Another competitive race. Both (9) SUN LAZER and (8) SPIRIT WOMAN turned in good performances on their respective first outings at this level earlier this month and the pair of them could well battle it out here. We’ll narrowly side with Sun Lazer to get off the mark at the 8th time of asking. (3) DARMA has finished 3rd on all three attempts at this level so far and there’s no reason why he can’t keep that going here while (5) HAPPY LADY and (10) BEONGGEULBEONGGEUL look to be in the placing frame.
|Selections||(9) Sun Lazer (8) Spirit Woman (3) Darma (10) Beonggeulbeonggeul|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 9|
Race 6: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. SUPER EAGLE – Hasn’t improved since being dropped back to class 4 but in this company he looks an interesting outsider for a place.
2. JEONSAUI HUYE – Decent winner last time out and is accordingly up in class today. Has the potential to be a good sprinter and if he gets the early lead, can win this too.
3. DAEWANGBONG – From a top stable but really hasn’t offered a lot in six starts so far.
4. DANGDAE ALPHA – He’s won three in a row including at this level over 1200M last time. Carries much more weight than last time but it’s only 1000M and he has strong claims.
5. GWANGYAUI JILJU – 8th of 12 on return from four months off three weeks ago. Not much to recommend here.
6. NORABORA – Only beaten 1 horse so far in three races.
7. MAERYEOK DEONGEORI – Steps back to the minimum trip for the first time in a long time. Not coming any closer to maiden win though.
8. RETURN OF THE KING – Competitive at this level and can place. Tends to find a couple too quick and probably will again today.
9. SHARP AMERICAN – Drops back in trip and should beat a few. 6th of 12 last time and can at least match that.
10. SAEBYEOK BADA – Competitive at this level and can be close to the early speed. Looks to have solid chances of placing.
11. KKEOJIJI ANNEUN – Only beat a couple home on debut on June 4th. We’ll forgive her for that but can’t really back her just yet.
Verdict: This looks to be between two of them and it could come down to which of (2) JEONSAUI HUYE and (4) DANGDAE ALPHA get the better start. Both look to have plenty of potential at sprint distances and they look a cut above the rest. Either could win but at this moment Dangdae Alpha is a bit more proven and Korean punters will likely make him strong favourite. (10) SAEBYEOK BADA looks to have the best chance of challenging the favourites but there should be support too for the likes of (8) RETURN OF THE KING and (9) SHARP AMERICAN, both of whom are capable types at this level.
|Selections||(4) Dangdae Alpha (2) Jeonsaui Huye (10) Saebyeok Bada (8) Return Of The King|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 4|
Race 7: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. DAMYANG HWANHO – Beaten by four of these over a mile on May 5th, she returned to run 2nd, ahead of Morning Korea at 1400M on June 2nd. Nicely in here.
2. GREAT KING – A winner over a mile on May 5th, beating five of these, he couldn’t follow up over the same distance four weeks ago. First try at 1800M and in the frame here.
3. QUEEN ELEGANCE – Yet to win but got her third 2nd place finish latest start at 1300M. Has struggled at this distance in the past though and won’t be favoured today.
4. ACE POWER – Winner at this level over 1200M in May, it’s his first try at 1800M today. He’s gone ok at a mile before but does look to have a bit to find.
5. OPEN THE SKY – Has won all three since returning in May. Steps up to two turns for the first time but is nicely weighted and is the favourite.
6. KING THE GRAY – Been beaten by a few of these in recent outings and has plenty of form to overturn.
7. MORNING KOREA – 5th behind Great King on May 5th and 4th behind Damyang Hwanho on June 2nd. Can match those finishes today.
8. SEONGSAN PAECHONG – 68th start today for this six-year-old. A midfield finish would be par.
9. FIELD SCAMPER – Down in class having struggled for a while at class 2. Top weight and won’t be easy.
10. DASEOT ME – Comes in following a 3rd and a 4th both at class and distance and a repeat can’t be ruled out.
11. KWAESEOK BARAM – The worst finisher among the six who raced each other on May 5th at a mile. Has a 4th over 1400M since but doesn’t look a contender here.
12. SVADILFARI – Solid 5th in decent class and distance contest on June 4th. Repeat is possible.
Verdict: (5) OPEN THE SKY looks a decent talent and while this is his toughest assignment to date, there’s no reason why he can’t maintain his winning streak on his first try at two-turns. He’s the one to beat. Six of these raced each other over a mile on May 5th and (2) GREAT KING came out on top. While his one start since didn’t go especially well, he can be given another chance on what is his first attempt at this distance. It’s a first try at 1800M too for (1) DAMYANG HWANHO and (7) MORNING KOREA and they too can get close.
|Selections||(5) Open The Sky (2) Great King (1) Damyang Hwanho (7) Morning Korea|
|Next Best||8, 10, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3|