The weekend’s racing gets underway with the afternoon and evening card at Busan on Friday. 10 races from 14:55 to 21:00. English race cards are here. Notes on races for overseas simulcast below:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million /
1. GIPPEUM SARANG – First time starter. 2nd in her trial and while others are favoured, she can go well.
2. DANCING VICAR – Won her trial a month ago. Top stable and a chance first-up.
3. YUKWAEHAN JILJU – Offered little on debut. The only way is up.
4. BARONESS – Not built on encouraging debut but did beat a couple of these when running 5th last start and should be in the frame here coming in fresh.
5. HAEUNDAE YEOGEOL – Much improved 3rd last time and can be a danger again.
6. GEUMBIT GONGJU – Improved 2nd on May 12th behind one who has gone on to win again and ahead of Haedong Yeogeol. Big chance.
7. DEER QUEEN – First time starter. Slow in trials. Watching brief first up.
8. GYEONGGYEONHANJILJU – Resume after almost two months off. Bit disappointing last time when 9th behind subsequent Oaks runner up but can improve today.
9. DALKOMHAN INSAENG – Yet to win in 10. Struggled last time but may benefit from step back in trip today.
10. BLESS YOU – Much improved 3r on latest start. Looks to be in the hunt here.
11. HAEDONG YEOGEOL – 3rd behind Geumbit Gongju last start and can look for the places again.
Verdict: Just fillies here and nicely competitive it is too. The narrow verdict goes to (6) GEUMBIT GONGJU who after six starts, looks to be figuring things out. She was 2nd last time, just a length behind a decent one who has gone on to win again since and she can get it right here. That same decent one, Jeonsaui Huye, beat (5) HAEUNDAE YEOGEOL by just a neck in April and the latter returns for the first time since and should be in the frame while the Bart Rice-trained pair of (4) BARONESS and debut-maker (2) DANCING VICAR also look to have solid chances.
Selections (6) Geumbit Gongju (4) Baroness (5) Haeundae Yeogeol (2) Dancing Vicar
Next Best 10, 8
Fast Start 1, 2, 5, 6
Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
1. Happy Tour – 3rd on debut behind Thunder Dome and cam look to match or better today.
2. Thunder Dome – 2nd on debut when well backed, beating Happy Tour. Up in distance and solid chance today.
3. Lucky Nova – 2nd on debut on May 19th at this distance. In the frame again.
4. Super Supreme – Not too far away in both outings to date but will need to show a bit more to challenge the placings.
5. Must Lady – Only beat a couple home in slow effort on debut well back behind Thunder Dome and Happy Tour.
6. Haengun Story – 4th last time over 1000M was his best so far. Previous try at this distance ddn’t go well but gets another chance.
7. Gamunui Yeonggwang – Debut-maker. Average in trials and watching brief first-up.
8. Super Magic – Improved 2nd on second start two weeks ago. Ran on well over 1300M.
9. Homerun Ball – Impressed few on debut in January and hasn’t been seen since. Trialled up in underwhelming fashion at the end of May.
10. Black Fine – Didn’t impress in trials and then well back behind Lucky Nova on debut.
11. Mansun – Showed improvement at the 5th attempt a month ago and can build on that today.
Verdict: There looks to be some potential among these with a number putting in solid performances last time. (3) LUCKY NOVA was just beaten a neck having led late on debut at this distance on May 19th and as such is the pick to score from the front here. (2) THUNDER DOME and (1) HAPPY TOUR ran in 2nd and 3rd on what was for both of them their first time at the races over 1000M on the same day and we can expect to see them involved in the finish once again today. As for the rest, (6) HAENGUN STORY and (11) MANSUN both showed some improvement last time which they can build on here.
Selections (3) Lucky Nova (2) Thunder Dome (1) Happy Tour (11) Mansun
Next Best 6, 8
Fast Start 2, 3, 9
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Special Weight A / KRW 22 Million
1. BUSAN BOLT – Has been beaten by a few of these already and has a bit to find today.
2. MADOBIYEON – Improved 2nd at this distance on May 12th, just beaten half a length. That was the first time he had led and with a good start again, he can be dangerous.
3. SAEROUN STAR – Close on a number of occasions already. Ran on nicely for 3rd at the distance three weeks ago and should look to at least match that here.
4. RISING AGAIN – Getting closer, he was 4th in a narrow finish, beaten by Sinbihan Jilju in April but followed with a solid 3rd in better company. Trialled well last week. Big chance.
5. GREAT FORCE – Showed little in two starts to date.
6. FAST AWAY – In fairness, he has been reasonable fast away in both prior tries but has been anything but fast by the end of the races.
7. SANGSEUNG JANGGUN – Creditable enough 6th behind Saeroun Star on debut at the end of April. Could improve.
8. HWANGGEUM DOKSURI – Offered few clues on debut last month.
9. GEUJIKOJI – Beaten by three of these when running 6th in April, she followed up with another 6th in a similar race last month. 6th would be a par finish here.
10. SINBIHAN JILJU – Beat three of these when just narrowly edged out on April 21st. Disappointed on return on May 19th. Worth another chance but has a bit to find.
11. STAR GOLD – Comes in off back to back 4ths, her best results so far and she can look to match them here.
Verdict: (10) SINBIHAN JILJU and (4) RISING AGAIN placed 2nd and 4th but with very little between them in a very tight finish back in April. The latter hasn’t run since and, having trailed up in decent shape a couple of weeks ago it is Rising Again who gets the nod today. (2) MADOBIYEON and (3) SAEROUN STAR both looked promising in their latest outings and are to be considered while (11) STAR GOLD could have a shot at the placings.
Selections (4) Rising Again (2) Madobiyeon (3) Saeroun Star (10) Sinbihan Jilju
Next Best 11, 9
Fast Start 2, 4, 9
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Special Weight C / KRW 22 Million
1. TONGHAP BULPAE – Shown little in three so far. Top jockey may tempt some though.
2. FOR BART – Presumably named for his trainer, he didn’t exactly pull up trees on his debut but three months later it’s a fresh start. Watching brief is probably best today.
3. QUEEN STEALTH – Ran six times last year with a couple of 5ths being the best. Trialled up in average fashion for what will be her first start since last November.
4. NEULPUREUN DRAGON – The only debut-maker in the field. Not quick in trials and not very backable first-up
5. MUNHWA DAERO – Has a best of 2nd among 8 prior outings. 5th behind The Wonderful last start and could better that today.
6. VIVA VICTORY – A 4th and two 3rds in three outings so far. Beaten by good ones in her latest two, she looks ready for a crack at victory here. Should get the early lead.
7. SHARP BELL – Decent results in his latest three although in each he has been some way behind the winner. Placing chances.
8. NEW HAPPY DAY –3rd last time out equalled her best ever finish. Given the distance and the company today, a repeat is not impossible.
9. LA JOLLA – Having been last on debut, she’s got a little better in two attempts since but was still well back behind Sharp Bell last time.
10. THE WONDERFUL – Two 3rds among three starts so far. First try at 1300M today and firmly in the frame.
11. SANDEUL – Both outings have been at 1000M and she has run on ok both times. May appreciate the step up.
Verdict: It’s very possible that (6) VIVA VICTORY could get quite an easy early lead here and once in front, she may not let it go. It is her first try at 1300M but that’s true too for the main danger, (10) THE WONDERFUL, who similarly has two 3rd place finishes among three outings to date. Those two look the best although (5) MUNHWA DAERO, 4th behind The Wonderful last start could improve while (7) SHARP BELL and (8) NEW HAPPY DAY have also proven capable of winning money in this company.
Selections (6) Viva Victory (10) The Wonderful (5) Munhwa Daero (7) Sharp Bell
Next Best 8, 11
Fast Start 6
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. YEONGGWANGUI JAEIN – Got her maiden win at the 22nd time of asking just two weeks ago. Looking to strike while the iron is at least half warm, a repeat is not impossible.
2. BLUE DANCER – Back to back 4ths in her latest two since a short spell. Placing chances here.
3. EORIN YEOWANG – Three 2nd places among her last four outings. Beaten by a couple of these in April but returned the favour last time. Should be close.
4. PARTY CONCEP – Began badly and never got involved last start but had four 2nd places from five prior to that and given a better beginning, should be a danger here.
5. BAEDARI HANI – 2nd on debut and then a winner on reappearance on May 19th. Up in class here but favourite to strike again.
6. YUKRYONGI – A little inconsistent in four prior tries. 5th behind Eorin Yeowang and Merlin News last start.
7. MAIN VICAR – 4th in a close finish behind Party Concep on May 7th. Yet to win in 16 but is capable of minor money in this company.
8. MERLIN NEWS – Yet to win in 21 career attempts but both tries this year have been creditable with a 5th and then 4th behind Eorin Yeowang latest.
9. ELISHA – Class 5 winner on New Year’s Eve but struggled in six class 4 outings and is back down in class here.
10. SPIRIT WOMAN – Up in class having secured her maiden win at the fifth time of asking on May 19th. Will need to find a bit here but can be competitive.
Verdict: Just fillies here and we’ll go for the up and comer (5) BAEDARI HANI to score on her first attempt at this level. She’s looked good in two so far, should get away well and can win again. (3) EORIN YEOWANG and (2) BLUE DANCER both come in off creditable efforts and may be considered while (4) PARTY CONCEP can be forgiven her last performances and given another chance today. (1) YEONGGWANGUI JAEIN must be respected having won at class and distance just two weeks ago.
Selections (5) Baedari Hani (3) Eorin Yeowang (4) Party Concep (2) Blue Dancer
Next Best 1, 7
Fast Start 4, 5, 6, 8
Race 6: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. SEULVELY – Inconsistent but has shown a few glimpses and has beaten a few of these before.
2. SECRET ROSE – Well back behind three of these on May 14th.
3. SWOOP – Struggled on return from lengthy absence on May 14th. Worth another chance today.
4. PHONE TAP – Debuted running last behind five of these on May 14th. Not recommended as yet.
5. FANTASTIC JOY – Winner of two from five at domestic classes 5&6, she comes in having been 4th inarguably better company than this last start. On speed and a chance.
6. BUGYEONG DOLPUNG – 4th behind City Seven and Tiger Slam latest on May 14th. Would do well to match that today.
7. CITY SEVEN – The best of the six who races each other on May 14th, coming 2nd, beaten a length and a quarter. Already a two-time winner at this distance and is the one to beat today.
8. CHARTERED DREAM – Yet to score in 13 and having come close around the turn of the year, has been cold in recent efforts.
9. TIGER SLAM – 3rd, just a nose behind City Seven on May 14th, he looks like he’ll be a danger again.
10. NERONIA – The only debut-maker in the field, he was a US$17K purchase from Fasig Tipton as a yearling. Average in trials.
11. NORABORA – Offered little in two slow efforts in January and March and recent trials give few clues. Not recommended.
12. VICTORY BROWN – Comes in following an almost all the way victory at domestic class 5 and has to be considered.
Verdict: Six of these raced each other at this distance on May 14th and we’ll go with the form. (7) CITY SEVEN edged out (9) TIGER SLAM by a nose that day and is surely the one to beat this time. Among the also rans that day was (3) SWOOP, who was returning from a lengthy absence and should be better today. (5) FANTASTIC JOY steps back in trip after a solid 4th place over 1200M last month and is in the frame here while (12) VICTORY BROWN, a winner last time, is also not to be ignored.
Selections (7) City Seven (5) Fantastic Joy (9) Tiger Slam (3) Swoop
Next Best 12, 1
Fast Start 5, 6, 7, 12