It’s Korean Oaks weekend. We’ll have a preview of Sunday’s big race for fillies up tomorrow but in the meantime there are 10 Friday races at Busan from 14:55 to 21:00. English racecards can be found here. Notes on races to be simulcast overseas below:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. HOSEUNGJISIM – Made a semi-encouraging debut in March but offered little in two starts since.
2. STAR LINE – Ran once last year but has a lot of hoof problems keeping him out since. Trialled up ok last month.
3. YES RED – Close in all three so far. 3rd behind two good ones (a long way behind them) last time and in with a big chance here.
4. GOLDEN FAMILY – Shown a bit of improvement in three prior outings. Still a bit to find here.
5. MAKGANG BOLT – Best so far a 4th of 9 over 1200M in April. Last over 1300M two weeks ago.
6. TRUMPET MAJOR – First timer here. Nothing special in trials though this is a nice race to debut in.
7. YONGSUNI – Decent jockey booking but has only been slow in three efforts to date.
8. GASOK TRIPLE – 8th of 11 over 1300M on debut, fading in the closing stages. Better today.
9. QUEEN MEDIA – Comes in following a 2nd and 5th in latest two, beating Yongsuni last time. In the frame.
10. CHOEGOREULHYANGHAE – Back to trial after weak effort last time. Looked surprisingly quick in the trial.
11. BIJANGUI MUGI – Debut maker who trialled up relatively unimpressively behind Trumpet Major. Top trainer and jockey combination though.
Verdict: (3) YES RED was well beaten by a couple of decent prospects last start but has shown enough in three outings so far to suggest she’ll have too much for this field and can lead from gate to wire. (9) QUEEN MEDIA seems to be figuring things out and can go close again while (10) CHOEGOREULHYANGHAE was well back behind Yes Red last start but looked much better when trialling up at the end of May and can be considered. (2) STAR LINE, a creditable 5th on debut, and (8) GASOK TRIPLE, are others to consider.
Selections (3) Yes Red (9) Queen Media (10) Choegoreulhyanghae (2) Star Line
Next Best 8, 3, 5
Fast Start 3, 8, 9, 10
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. MANNAMUI SIJAK – First time starter. Not quick in trials, watching brief first up.
2. FOREST KING – Not seen since beating one home on debut last December. Trialled up unconvincingly in April. Too many question marks.
3. STORMY MAGIC – Has put in a couple of decent performances and could improve here.
4. POWER BOW – Debut-maker, ran on ok in his trial even if it wasn’t especially quick. It was a while ago too so caution needed.
5. NAMYANG YEOGEOL – Comes in after three solid runs at the distance. Looks to be figuring things out and could go well.
6. YEOKJEONUI GIHOE – 5th on debut on May 19th and can build on that here.
7. YEOWANGUI JEONGWON – Has shown a bit of improvement in three starts so far. 5th of 11 last time and can continue to get closer today.
8. SPECIAL POWER – 6th of 9 on debut. Any improvement will be the aim today.
9. GOLDEN REX – Debut-maker who looked competent enough in his trial.
10. MOST POPULAR – Last of 11 in debut in February. Hard to make a case for here.
11. YEONGUNG JEWANG – Ran three times and did ok around the turn of the year. Off since February but trialled up well on May 20th. A chance.
Verdict: (5) NAMYANG YEOGEOL is the most experienced here and she’s demonstrated enough improvement in her latest three starts to suggest that she should be the pick here. (7) YEOWANGUI JEONGWON and (11) YEONGUNG JEWANG, the latter returning for the first time since February have also shown they know what to do and can be considered while (3) STORMY MAGIC and (6) YEOKJEONUI GIHOE look best of a rather unknown rest.
Selections (5) Namyang Yeogeol (11) Yeongung Jewang (7) Yeowangui Jeongwon (6) Yeokjeonui Gihoe
Next Best 3, 1
Fast Start 3, 5, 7
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
1. RUNNING GIRL – Creditable enough 6th of 11 on debut last month and in line for improvement today.
2. BONA GIRL – Much improved 3rd on second start overall and first at this distance on April 28th. In the frame here.
3. JIRANJIGYO – 4th on debut at long odds over 1000M. Ran on well and may appreciate the step up in trip.
4. JUNE MORNING – 2nd and 3rd in her latest two and solidly in the frame here.
5. RISING KOREA – 2nd on debut at the distance just two weeks ago. Likely to be the favourite today.
6. CHAM HAENGBOKHAN – Offered little in two starts to date but top jockey booking and up in distance for the first time.
7. CHANGE KHAN – Few clues when beating one home on debut on May 19th. Trialled well before that and up in distance today.
8. GOOD PARK –Just average in two starts so far. Did pass a few late on last time at 1200M though.
9. TOP OF QUEEN – Ran three times last summer for one 2nd place. First start since last August
10. CHEONJI RHYTHM – The only debut-maker. She went through four trials before finally making it and won’t be especially well fancied.
11. NOPIGOM DODASHA – A little disappointing when well backed on debut at this distance but was then much better second-up. Not impossible.
Verdict: Just fillies here and (5) RISING KOREA was a solid 2nd on debut two weeks ago and is favoured to make the breakthrough today. There are a couple who could stop her though. (4) JUNE MORNING has shown promise in her latest two, running on very nicely, and looks in with a shout while (2) BONA GIRL was a much-improved 2nd on her second outing at the end of April and can look to match it here. (1) RUNNING GIRL and (11) NOPIGOM DODASHA the best of the rest.
Selections (5) Rising Korea (4) June Morning (2) Bona Girl (11) Nopigom Dodasha
Next Best 1, 3
Fast Start 1, 7, 10, 11
Race 4: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. RICH BOLT – Yet to win in 13 but was a good 3rd over the distance last time, ahead of Texas Ruby and others and has claims to here. Likely to try to lead all the way.
2. NEUTRON – Last on debut a month ago, tailed off by 5-lengths and we’ll need to see improvement before we can bet on him.
3. BULMYEORUIMARIPGAN – He runs on and a few usually comes back to him. Could well get another 4th place.
4. KIRK MINISTER – Offered few clues in two starts so far. First try at a mile today.
5. ONNURI GANGJA – Comes in after back to back 5ths, both time beaten by two who go here. Can aim for the top five again.
6. K O BARAM – Well back behind three of these last start.
7. EVER GOOD TIME –Not beaten many in three outings so far.
8. TEXAS RUBY – Beaten by Rich Bolt in two of her last three, most recently at the distance, she nevertheless should be getting close again today.
9. JEOLDEA JIJU – Well back behind four of these last start on May 12th.
10. SKY ROCKET – Only beat one home on debut on May 12th. Top trainer and jockey though so will have backers for improvement.
11. PICHICHI – 3rd ahead of three of these over the distance just two weeks ago and has to be in the frame today.
Verdict: (1) RICH BOLT and (8) TEXAS RUBY ran 3rd and 4th when they raced each other over this distance on May 12th and they look to be the top two here. Rich Bolt has a 4kg weight advantage last time due to the use of an apprentice jockey so perhaps Texas Ruby can take advantage today. (5) ONNURI GANGJA was 5th that day and can be competitive again while (3) BULMYEORUIMARIPGAN will plod around at a single pace and probably pass plenty late on.
Selections (8) Texas Ruby (1) Rich Bolt (5) Onnuri Gangja (3) Bulmyeoruimaripgan
Next Best 11, 4
Fast Start 1, 10
Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. MISS HERO – Distinctly average in recent outings.
2. POWERFUL FORCE – Drops down in class today. May be an interesting outsider.
3. CHARYONG – Up in class following 2-length win over 1000M on May 5th. First time at the distance but should cope.
4. RED SIREN – Got maiden win over 1300M in March but struggled a little when stepped up to a mile last time. Can go better dropped back in trip today.
5. SEORABEOL DOLPUNG – Solid 4th at class and distance on first start of 2017 three weeks ago and could repeat today.
6. CAPTAIN BLADE – Absolutely blitzed a 1000M class 6 race on May 5th. Up in class and distance but strong favourite here.
7. SEOHAE – Slight improvement last time but recent form remains unimpressive.
8. PERFECT HUMOR – Never misses by much but generally finds one or two too quick. In the frame again but once more, may have to settle for minor money.
9. GOLD RUSH – Class 6 winner over 1300M in April but had a hard time on first try at this level.
10. CHOEGANG EXCELLENT – Less than excellent in two starts so far this year.
Verdict: (6) CAPTAIN BLADE raced a couple of times last year but returned after six months out to romp home by nine lengths over 1000M on May 5th. Up in class and distance here but neither should be a problem and he will start the odds-on favourite. Also up in class and distance is (3) CHARYONG and he may prove to be the greatest danger although good runs from (4) RED SIREN and (8) PERFECT HUMOR can’t be ruled out.
Selections (6) Captain Blade (3) Charyong (8) Perfect Humor (4) Red Siren
Next Best 2, 5
Fast Start 3, 6
Race 6: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. COWBOY CAPTAIN – Not too far off in recent outings and should be there or thereabouts.
2. SEONGSAN PAECHONG – Recent form doesn’t inspire. Well back behind Giant Hold latest start.
3. BEOLMA SONYEON – Not too far away in tougher company than this recently. Been a while since his last win (11 runs) but it could be his day.
4. DASEOT ME – 3rd at class and distance last time and a repeat isn’t impossible.
5. GIANT HOLD – Has beaten plenty of these in recent starts and must be considered today.
6. BLUE SIERRA – 5th behind Daseot Me last time. Class and distance winner in April. Outsider but not impossible.
7. WOOA – Races for the first time this year. Has found his way into the top stable and trailed up nicely in May. He will be backed.
8. TOUGH COUNTRY – Surprise winner at this class over 1200M last month. He’s won at a mile in the past as well and while not among the favourites, could be interesting.
9. MUJEOKUI SAMSON – Tries his luck at class 3 today and looks very nicely in. Could go well.
10. KING THE GRAY – Beaten by plenty of these in recent starts so has lots of form to overturn.
11. MY ALICE – Well back in latest efforts.
Verdict: Competitive race to end with here. (7) WOOA will have plenty of backers having won a trial last month and making, as he does, his first start for Kim Young Kwan today. He was racing in very strong company at the end of last year. However, both (3) BEOLMA SONYEON and (5) GIANT HOLD come in looking in decent form and could well beat him. (1) COWBOY CAPTAIN and (9) MUJEOKUI SAMSON among a number of others not to be ruled out either.
Selections (5) Giant Hold (3) Beolma Sonyeon (7) Wooa (1) Cowboy Captain
Next Best 9, 8
Fast Start 6, 9, 11