Evening finishes get underway at Busan this Friday. There are 10 races from 14:55 to 21:00. (Seoul will switch to evening finishes in July and August but will retain its daytime schedule on weekends throughout June). Hot prospect King Of Ace is the top attraction on the day, looking for his 4th win in 5 starts in race 6.
English racecards can be found here. Notes on races for overseas simulcast are below:
Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. NEW TREND – 8th in both outings so far. Steps up to 1200M for the first time. From the top stable so don’t rule out a big improvement on first start since March.
2. UICHEONGEOM – First-time starter. Didn’t catch the eye in trials.
3. KKEUTPAN TURBO – 7th of 11 in slow race on debut two weeks ago but ran on well and extra furlong may suit.
4. ALECTO – Improved 6th on second start and could improve again.
5. GHOST WARRIOR – Offered few clues in running 9th of 12 on debut. First start since March.
6. JESAM BUDU – Ran a couple times last year and resumes here for the first time since last August. Trialled up in reasonable enough fashion.
7. NURI STAR – 7th of 10 on debut in slow race a month ago. Improvement the aim here.
8. CHOEGANG VICAR – Only beaten one across two prior starts.
9. CONFIDENTIAL – A debut-maker sporting the Yoshida colours is always going to be of note but his trial was underwhelming.
10. REMEMBER CAPTAIN – Shown improvement over three starts so far and has decent claims here.
11. MYEONGSIN POWER – Ran once without distinction almost a year ago.
Verdict: We’ll put a positive spin on this by trying to find one which has as yet undiscovered talents. Punters are likely to opt for (1) NEW TREND to be that one, coming as he does, from the track’s top stable and trying again after eleven weeks out. Certainly, he has as much of a shout as any. (10) REMEMBER CAPTAIN ran a decent race in 5th, a long way behind a very good winner, a month ago and can be considered while (6) JESAM BUDU trialled up well resuming for the first time since last August. (3) KKEUTPAN TURBO and (4) ALECTO also with potential for better.
Selections (1) New Trend (10) Remember Captain (6) Jesam Budu (3) Kkeutpan Turbo
Next Best 4, 5, 11
Fast Start 2, 4, 6, 10
Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
1. GAO – No better than 8th in four tries so far.
2. MY TIME – Last in both outings. Not this time.
3. PERFECT DIVA – Improved 3rd when stepped up to 1200M three weeks ago, running on well. Slight step up in trip once more may yield more improvement.
4. MIO – Debut-maker who looked useful in trials. Watch the market and don’t rule out.
5. SUPER MAGIC – Only beat three home but was competent enough on debut and could improve.
6. SILENCE TEUKGEUP – Slow in all four outings so far.
7. ACEUI SEONMUL – 2nd on debut, ten lengths behind a very good winner. Has claims here.
8. KEUN CHARISMA – Offered little in three prior appearances.
9. WORLD KOREAN – Debut-maker from the top stable. Average in trials but don’t read too much into that. Watch the market.
10. GREAT FORCE – Slow debut two weeks ago.
11. SUNSHINE BOLT – Solid 2nd place on debut over 1200M, running on nicely and strongly in the frame here.
Verdict: Both (7) ACEUI SEONMUL and (11) SUNSHINE BOLT comes in following 2nd places behind good horses on their respective debuts and look to be the top choices here. We’ll narrowly side with Sunshine Bolt to benefit more from the slightly increased distance. (3) PERFECT DIVA was a good 3rd last time and can at least match today while we’ll need to also keep an eye on the debut-making pair of (4) MIO and (9) WORLD KOREAN.
Selections (11) Sunshine Bolt (7) Aceui Seonmul (3) Perfect Diva (9) World Korean
Next Best 4, 2
Fast Start 2, 4, 6
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. BAEDARI YEOWANG – Best of 5th was achieved the last time this jockey rode her but even that seems a lofty target here.
2. MACH KAISERIN – 4th and a 5th in two tries at this class so far and really should be looking to better those in this company today. Likely frontrunner.
3. HWANGGEUMBITYEONGU – Comes in following three consecutive 8th place finishes and similar would be no surprise here.
4. CHOEGANG BOLT – Offered little in two tries so far. Early days so can’t rule out improvement from this stable though.
5. SHARP KING – First start since early March when he was 4th. Looked well in a trial last week and has to be in the hunt.
6. MALIBU RULER – All three starts this year have been at a mile. Steps back today and could improve.
7. MIR KAN – Top jockey booking but not offered much in five starts so far.
8. HWAYEOHAN TAEYANG – The most experienced in the field and she has two 3rd places to her name. 5th at the distance last time, she has claims here.
9. SEDA – Slight improvement last time ahead of Choegang Bolt. Still plenty to find here.
10. NEW HAPPY DAY – Finished one place behind Hwaryeohang Taeyang in both latest two. Can challenge for minor money here.
11. DAEYU ICON – First time at further than the minimum distance having run on well last time. Interesting outsider.
Verdict: Lots in the frame here but we’ll go with the most experienced in the field, (8) HWARYEOHAN TAEYANG to finally get things right at what will be her twelfth attempt. She’s likely to try to close whereas the early pace will probably be set by (2) MACH KAISERIN who should also be looking for a career-best finish here. (5) SHARP KING was indeed quite sharp when trialling last week and has claims while (6) MALIBU RULER and (10) NEW HAPPY DAY look best of the rest.
Selections (8) Hwaryeohan Taeyang (5) Sharp King (2) Mach Kaiserin (10) New Happy Day
Next Best 6, 11
Fast Start 2, 11
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
1. GEUMBIT HWANHO – Not shown much of late but managed a 2nd at the distance in January.
2. WORLD EX – Showed glimpses of improvement when 6th of 11 at this distance at the end of April.
3. TAEGWON MISO – Not getting any closer to maiden win.
4. HUIMANGUI NORAE – Generally beats a few but others look preferable.
5. HAMAN YEOJEONGSA – Sent back to trial after woeful effort in March. Didn’t look much better in said trial
6. RISING DERBY – 4th of 11 on second start on April 21st and in the hunt here.
7. DAMYANG YEONGUNG – 4th in a very tight finish, less than a length behind the winner, on <ay 12th. Could be the one to beat here.
8. ROYAL TRIPLE – Much improved 3rd at the distance two weeks ago and can go close again.
9. HURRICANE BAY – 7th on debut behind Royal Triple two weeks ago and improvement a real prospect here.
10. HAROLD – Slow in all four attempts so far.
11. MISS GANGJA – Little to recommend after sixteen tries.
Verdict: (7) DAMYANG YEONGUNG just came off worse from a tight four-way finish over 1300M on May 12th and he can get it right today. It won’t be easy though. Both (6) RISING DERBY and (8) ROYAL TRIPLE look on the way up and could well have wins in them while (9) HURRICANE BAY will likely have come on for his debut run and can be more dangerous here.
Selections (7) Damyang Yeongung (8) Royal Triple (6) Rising Derby (9) Hurricane Bay
Next Best 1, 2
Fast Start 6, 10
Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. JEOKDOUI HWASIN – 19th start today and shell not get a better chance to get her maiden victory. Close in recent starts and really looks the one to beat here.
2. PENTA HEELS – Comes in following a 4th and a 5th, one of those being behind Arena. Can match those finishes today.
3. MAJESTIC POWER – Last of 12 on most recent outing and plenty to find here.
4. HAESEONG STAR – Back to back 5ths in March and April and that would be a reasonable target here too.
5. SULTRY HUMOR – Struggled a little at this level since maiden win.
6. FIRST WINNING – 7th in first try at this level last time. Worth another chance here for a place.
7. SMART LADY – Only second try at further than the minimum. Interesting outsider.
8. DANCING BLAZE – Little to inspire confidence in recent form.
9. OHO DAEJANGGUN – First try at further than minimum. Still plenty of potential on what’s just her fifth start. Should look to lead.
10. ARENA – Not too far away on each of four attempts at this class since her maiden win. In the frame here.
11. WORLD PEACE – Managed 3rd at class and distance in March but has gone cold a little in three attempts since.
Verdict: Just fillies here and could (1) JEOKDOUI HWASIN finally make the breakthrough at the 19th time of asking? Her recent form is convincing – the most convincing among these – to the extent that she probably should be favourite. She’s a risk though, especially as her running style can lead her to leave too much to do and if it is to be another defeat then there are others who can take advantage. (6) FIRST WINNING and (10) ARENA look chief among them but don’t rule out the likes of (2) PENTA HEELS and (9) OHO DAEJANGGUN.
Selections (1) Jeokdoui Hwasin (6) First Winning (10) Arena (2) Penta Heels
Next Best 9, 7
Fast Start 7, 9, 10, 11
Race 6: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
1. KING OF ACE – First defeat was in a really strong sprint on May 7th. Flawless in three previous efforts. Up to two turns for the first time but not a problem and he is favourite.
2. SINSEGYE GANGJA – Two starts into a comeback after more than a year out. Improved 5th last time.
3. ROYAL IMPACT – Offered little and beaten few lately.
4. WILD BURNING – Back to back 4th place finishes in his last two – behind Furious Park last start – and could match that here.
5. GYEOUL WANGGUK – 6th of 7 behind Wild Burning and Furious Park last start and tough ask today. Minor money at best.
6. FIELD SCAMPER – Usually beats a few but not come close since returning from seven months off in December.
7. MR. WHY – Only beat one home last time and is an outsider here.
8. FURIOUS PARK – Been close in recent starts including 3rd last time ahead of Wild Burning. May have to settle for a place again.
9. QUEEN TWO HEARTS – Light weight but has found things tough in recent outings.
10. BLACK SAPPHIRE – Got it right last time following three near misses. Up in class today but a contender for the places again.
11. YESURI MYEONGUN – Struggled in four outings so far at this class.
Verdict: (1) KING OF ACE suffered his first defeat last month but it was against top quality opposition in the 1st leg of the Sprint Series, with a performance that confirmed his status as one of the track’s most exciting prospects. He doesn’t go to the second leg of the series in Seoul on Sunday and instead steps up to two turns for the first time in a race that he really should be winning. (10) BLACK SAPPHIRE is the obvious danger. She’s up in class following a very comfortable win at the distance last time. She also has a 5kg weight advantage of King Of Ace. Those two are the main interests in what is otherwise quite a mundane class 2. (8) FURIOUS PARK should go close as usual with (4) WILD BURNING perhaps best of the rest.
Selections (1) King Of Ace (10) Black Sapphire (8) Furious Park (4) Wild Burning
Next Best 5, 3
Fast Start 1, 9, 10