10 races at Busan on Friday from 11:30 to 18:00. English race cards are here. Notes on simulcast races are below:
Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. CHOEGANG FORCE ONE – Got his maiden win by 8-lengths on April 28th, making all on what was his second start. Up in class here but every chance again.
2. SEOGANGDAERO – 4th and a 3rd in two efforts so far at this class and should be close today.
3. BAROGA – Not too far away in five tries at this class. Steps back in trip following 6th place over a mile three weeks ago.
4. OPEN THE SKY – Highly thought of last year, he’s been gelded and returned from six months off to win by 10-lengths two weeks ago. Up in class and looks the one to beat.
5. MANGANG – Has found the money at class and distance but was a slightly disappointing 8th of 11 last start.
6. CHEONJIGAEBYEOK – Took eight goes to get his maiden win. Stepped up in class last start and found it tough.
7. CHOEGANG EXCELLENT – Won at this class last August but has shown little since. Did trial up well earlier this month though.
8. JEONSEOLUI LEGEND – Races for the first time since last October. Trialled in average fashion.
9. SEOHAE – Not beaten many lately.
10. PARTY TOGETHER – Won on debut a month ago. Up in class and distance today but neither should be an issue and he’s in with a chance.
11. CAPI RUN – Up in class following a surprisingly convincing 4-legnth win on May 5th. Has a bit to find here.
Verdict: Since being identified as a good prospect last year, (4) OPEN THE SKY has had setbacks, a stable change and has found himself gelded but the manner of his win on his return last month suggested he’s finally on the right track. He’s up in class today but that should be of little consequence and he’ll be favourite. He’s no certainty though. (1) CHOEGANG FORCE ONE was similarly impressive when scoring by 8-lengths at the end of April and joins Open The Sky both up in class and likely on the early speed while debut winner (10) PARTY TOGETHER also looks to have potential. Among those with prior experience at this class, (2) SEOGANGDAERO looks best.
Selections (4) Open The Sky (1) Choegang Force One (10) Party Together (2) Seogangdaero
Next Best 3, 11
Fast Start 1, 4
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. SHARP QUEENS – Generally beats a few but others likely to be quicker.
2. GEUMTE – Best at this class is a 3rd place over 1000M in April. Solitary win came at this distance.
3. TWO TWO KINGDOM – Never worse than 4th in five outings. Up in class following maiden win latest and can be competitive here too.
4. CAP WINNER – Yet to score in seven but finds herself up in class after too many class 6 near misses. A win would be a surprise but a place is not impossible.
5. FRENCH GIRL – Always well backed and should be again. Steps back in distance after struggling a little at a mile last time.
6. LADY CHARTERED – 40th start today and unlikely to add to solitary win. Capable of finding minor money in this company though.
7. ANY NINE – Improved 5th second up following a four-month layoff having won two of her first three last year. A chance.
8. TEXAS RUSH – First start since last September. Yet to win but had been close on plenty of occasions. Trialled up in decent fashion.
9. BLUE DANCER – Yet to win in eleven but was 4th last time and could plausibly match that here.
10. LISA – 4th of 10 on first try at this level in April and a big chance today. Can lead and go all the way.
11. NAMYANG TOWER – Started the year well with a 2nd place buy just gone a little cold in latest two. Lighter weight to carry under an apprentice today.
Verdict: Open contest here and (10) LISA could well be the one to beat. She was a creditable 4th last time and has as much chance as any of these of getting the job done here. (5) FRENCH GIRL is worthy of another chance, stepping back in distance today while the up in class (3) TWO TWO KINGDOM should also be competitive. (7) ANY NINE, 5th behind Lisa last start, and (9) BLUE DANCER look best of the rest.
Selections (10) Lisa (5) French Girl (3) Two Two Kingdom (7) Any Nine
Next Best 9, 1
Fast Start 2, 3
Race 6: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. CHOEGO JILJU – 2nd over 1200M in March he couldn’t follow up when well-backed n April 23rd and was well back behind Return Of The King.
2. LUCKY NINE – US$45 purchase from Ocala a year ago, he is in a top stable but wasn’t impressive in his trial.
3. TARIAT MACHO – Solid 3rd over a mile on first start of the year a month ago.
4. TUFELLO – 4th of 12 on debut at the end of last month and can have learned from that. Top trainer/jockey combination.
5. KING OF KOREA – A$50K from Magic Millions Gold Coast as a yearling. 2nd in his trial behind a proven decent one and a chance first up here.
6. BETTER THAN YOU – It’s been a while since the latest of his three wins but he ran above expectations in 3rd last time with a repeat possible.
7. RETURN OF THE KING – Has a pair of 3rds among four starts so far. First try at 1300M today.
8. TTEUGEOUN HAMSEONG – Yet to go better that 4th in six attempts but has finished off his races well and slight step up in distance may be beneficial.
9. SEUNGJEONPILSA – Honest type who showed a return to some form with a 3rd place last start.
10. MISS BLUE – Gone a little cold in latest two albeit against decent opposition. Can improve today but not among the favourites.
11. YEONGGWANGUI PARK – Comes in following consecutive 2nd places and a big chance of going one better this time.
12. SEULVELY – Ran on ok last time when racing 5th of 12 over 1200M and can look to match that on first try at 1300M today.
Verdict: Another tricky contest but we’re going to go for the debut-maker (5) KING OF KOREA to make an immediate impact. The Aussie-bred looked good over the course of two trials and this looks the ideal race to debut in. (3) TARIAT MACHO is still seeking his maiden win but wasn’t far away last time and can go close again while (4) TUFELLO could well have come on from his 4th placed debut at the end of April. (8) TTEUGEOUN HAMSEONG may appreciate the slight step up in trip while (9) SEUNGJEONPILSA and (11) YEONGGWANGUI PARK have claims too.
Selections (5) King Of Korea (4) Tufello (3) Tariat Macho (8) Tteugeoun Hamseong
Next Best 9, 11, 7
Fast Start 3, 5, 12
Race 7: Class 3 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. SONATA ZONE – Seems to have found her level. 6th behind V Man last start and should beat a few again.
2. WORLD QUEEN – Lost her way in recent starts. Top jockey booking though.
3. ROCKET BLADE – Returned from six months out to run a very solid 3rd two weeks ago and looks in the hunt today.
4. TODAY – First start of 2017. Won three of four last year. From top stable and won a trial earlier this month.
5. SUPER BLADE – Same owner although different trainer to Rocket Blade. Strong 2nd in good company last start and can go well again.
6. YEONGUNG BOLT – 6th in both starts so far this year and similar would be par once more.
7. BOHEMIAN – Only beat one home latest start but is better than that. Still an outsider here though.
8. GOLD SKY – Recent form doesn’t inspire.
9. KKEUTPAN BOOSTER – Strong 2nd last time on first try at the distance and can go close again.
10. V MAN – Back to back wins in January and February saw him promoted to this level and he’s been competitive. 4th ahead of Sonata Zone and Gold Sky latest and can money again.
11. GUMPO MIRACLE – Got a 2nd at class and distance to round out last year but hasn’t been especially close in three starts so far in 2017.
Verdict: (4) TODAY won three of four starts last year and looked sharp when returning in a trial earlier this month. He’s from the track’s top stable and is sure to be well backed on his first start since New Year’s Eve. There are plenty who could beat him though. (9) KKEUTPAN BOOSTER ran on nicely on his first attempt at this distance on April 30th and will be a danger late on while (3) ROCKET BLADE and (5) SUPER BLADE both come in following near-misses over 1400M. Already a winner at this distance, (10) V MAN has proven competitive – and has beaten some of these – in three attempts at this class so far.
Selections (9) Kkeutpan Booster (4) Today (3) Rocket Blade (5) Super Blade
Next Best 10, 11
Fast Start 4, 7, 8
Race 8: Class 4 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. FLAMENCO – Managed a 3rd at a mile in March but comes in off back to back 7th place finishes.
2. KWAESEOK BOLT – 10th of 12 two weeks ago but went through a trial last weekend. Improvement possible of first try at 1800M.
3. MAERYEOK DEONGEORI – Recent form suggest little cause for optimism.
4. BRITE ACCOUNT – Just six starts so far with a best of 3rd. Significant step up in trip today.
5. CHASTITY – Disappointing 5th of 7 when well backed last start. Steps up in distance today and should be given another chance.
6. BAY KINGS – Up in class having won over a mile on April 30th. First try at 1800M but not many to fear here.
7. HAPPY SOUND – Beats plenty but usually finds a few too quick. Good 3rd at the distance in March – one of the few proven at the trip.
8. USAIN NUT – Up in class following consecutive 2nd places. Light weight and could be a factor.
9. SHARP WIN – 5th and a 4th in his last two. Not impossible.
10. PRIZE KING – Disappointing last of 12 on latest. Big step up in trip today, he didn’t go well on only start at a mile but can be given another chance.
11. USEUNG CHOEGO – No worse than 6th in six tries at this class so far but no better than 3rd either. Similar result today would be acceptable.
12. DEVIL KING – Sent back to trial after finishing last on his latest two. Came through that ok but little to recommend here.
Verdict: (5) CHASTITY only managed 5th when favourite over a mile last month but can be given another chance taking on 1800M for the first time here. She’s one of a number who are stepping up to two-turns for the first time. Two of those are (6) BAY KINGS and (8) USAIN NUT, both up in class too and both in the hunt. (1) FLAMENCO and (7) HAPPY SOUND look best of the rest in what is another competitive race.
Selections (5) Chastity (8) Usain Nut (6) Bay Kings (7) Happy Sound
Next Best 1, 2
Fast Start 5, 6, 7
Race 9: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
1. GOLD MOON – 10th behind Iron Train last time. Ha struggled at this class so far.
2. SOUL BLADE – First outing since being narrowly defeated by Stealth at class and distance in February. Has to have a chance.
3. JUNGANG CHAMP – 6th behind Iron Train last start and can look to match or better today.
4. TWO TWO RAPTOR – Up in class having won his latest two, most recently over a mile on April 23rd. Front-runner, he is up in class and distance but is well weighted and can win.
5. NAGASINDA – 4th behind Iron Train last time. That would be a good result again but he can’t be ruled out of better.
6. SUPER STORM – Good 3rd in competitive 1200M sprint last time. Up in trip here but not without claims.
7. PANGPANG HERO – Never got involved at previous try at distance but comes in following consecutive 2nd places at shorter and could go well again.
8. DYNAMIC TANK – 2nd last time, up in class here but still looks to have improvement in him.
9. IRON TRAIN – Beat four of these at class and distance on May 7th. Carries only an additional 2.5kg today and must be considered again.
10. GIGA SPEED – Up in class having been 2nd to Two Two Raptor last time. Has a bit to find but could be competitive.
11. FINE DREAM – 2nd over the distance at class 3 last start. Will be an outsider.
12. MR. KAISER – A much improved 3rd behind Iron Train on May 7th. May be given a little more respect today but still an outsider.
Verdict: (4) TWO TWO RAPTOR has won three of his last four and while he is up in both class and distance here, he can win again. It’s a tough race though. (2) SOUL BLADE races for the first time since being beaten a nose at the distance in February and has strong claims while (9) IRON TRAIN beat four of these on his way to victory at class and distance three weeks ago and must be respected. (6) SUPER STORM and (8) DYNAMIC TANK are others in the hunt.
Selections (4) Two Two Raptor (9) Iron Train (2) Soul Blade (8) Dynamic Tank
Next Best 6, 1
Fast Start 1, 4, 8
Race 10: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. BESTOWED – Struggled in two outings at this class so far.
2. PURE DEIMOS – Lost his way a little but improvement is possible.
3. SEONGSAN JILJU – Up in class following victory at the distance on April 30th and nothing to fear here either.
4. I ONE – Races for the first time since last August. Looked sharp trialling up and will be backed.
5. HI SEXY – Up in class after her maiden win on her second start a month ago. Plenty of potential.
6. YEONGWON CHUKJE – Recent form doesn’t inspire.
7. AWESOME DOLL – Disappointed behind Major Champ last time but steps back in trip today and could be better.
8. TOUGH COUNTRY – Struggled at 1800M last time but can be competitive back at 1200M.
9. BARETTES MARINE – First race for more than a year. Trialled sporadically in the interim and looked very fast at the end of last month. Hard to know what to expect.
10. QUIET RAPTOR – Can improve with a top jockey booking.
11. GASI GONGJU – First start since last November. Trialled up well but will probably need this.
12. MAJOR CHAMP – The favourite. He’s been close in tough company in each of his last three and should get it right here.
Verdict: (12) MAJOR CHAMP may only have won one of his five starts so far but he’s raced against stiff competition, coming close each time. The outside gate shouldn’t be a problem and he can get it right today. (5) HI SEXY and (3) SEONGSAN JILJU are up in class and both can go close while (4) I ONE looks the most intriguing of a few here who are returning from lengthy absences.
Selections (12) Major Champ (5) Hi Sexy (3) Seongsan Jilju (4) I One
Next Best 7, 9
Fast Start 1, 3