The weekend’s action in Korea gets underway with a 10-race card on Friday with the first at 11:30 and the last at 18:00. English race cards can be found here. Notes on races to be simulcast overseas are below:
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRA 22 Million
1. VICAR OF THE SUN – Improved 4th on his 2nd start on April 14th and will be better backed today.
2. RISING DERBY – Improved start on his 2nd start on April 21st. Ran on well and steps up to the distance for the first time.
3. GEUJIKOJI – 6th behind Sinbihan Jilju last up. Finished off well but has a bit to find.
4. YES QUEEN – Plenty of experience but little suggest a first win is on the cards.
5. ASTRA – Best of 4th so far. 6th of 11 last time and could improve today.
6. ROYAL TRIPLE – 7th behind Astra latest start. Top stable/jockey but few clues so far.
7. WINDY PARK – 2nd at 1000M in March but couldn’t follow up on most recent start.
8. HURRICANE BAY –Solitary debut-maker. Top owner and trainer but average trial. Can be considered in this company.
9. CITY WINNER – Disappointing 10th last start having come close in all five previous. Up in trip for the first time. Fast starter and can be considered.
10. VIVA TEN – Only beat one home on debut a month ago and any improvement today will be the goal.
11. SINBIHAN JILJU – Much improved 2nd of 11 last start and has to be considered here.
Verdict: Open contest to begin with and any number could step up, however, (2) RISING DERBY ran on nicely last time and stepping up to 1300M for the first time could be exactly what he needs to make the breakthrough. (11) SINBIHAN JILJU was just beaten a nose into 2nd last time out, ahead of a couple of the others who go here and he can build on that today while (1) VICAR OF THE SUN and (9) CITY WINNER are others who have potential for improvement.
Selections (2) Rising Derby (11) Sinbihan Jilju (9) City Winner (1) Vicar Of The Sun
Next Best 8, 5, 7
Fast Start 2, 5, 7, 9
Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. WIDAEHANGWANGGYONG – 10th on first try at this level having been promoted following three consecutive 3rd places. Tough ask today too.
2. GLOBAL CHAMPION – Most unfortunately named. Still class 6 but trying something different. Result likely to be the same.
3. HWANGGEUMBIT JILJU – Three starts last year with one win. Off since last November but won a trial last week. Top stable and likely to be well backed.
4. BADA BULPAE – Shown she can be competitive at this level with 4th of 11 last time at this distance.
5. MINIME – Showed a glimpse of form with a 5th of 11 in early April but reverted to type latest start.
6. CHASEDAE – Steps back from a mile today where he has had some good finishes. Front-runner who’s in the frame again.
7. FIRST WINNING – Up in class following consecutive 2nd place finishes. Won’t be easy but not impossible.
8. JILJU DAEJANG – 5th on first try at this level but struggled on reappearance in April.
9. GODAE – Went close a couple of times around the turn of the year but recent form is cold.
10. SEORABEOL DOLPUNG – First start of 2017. Going well before the layoff but trialled up in average fashion so may need this.
11. RAPA CHUKJE – Usually not too far away but recent form has been on the slide.
Verdict: (7) FIRST WINNING is yet to get the first win but despite being up in class today, it could well be here. This isn’t a strong class 5 and she showed enough in her last two to suggest she’ll be competitive and will be on speed early. Also up in class is (3) HWANGGEUMBIT JILJU. Kim Young Kwan’s filly hasn’t raced since winning last November but looked quick in a trial last week and is sure to be well-backed. Plenty of others in the placing frame with (4) BADA BULPAE and (6) CHASEDAE perhaps the best of them.
Selections (7) First Winning (3) Hwanggeumbit Jilju (4) Bada Bulpae (6) Chasedae
Next Best 8, 10
Fast Start 6, 7, 8
Race 6: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. LADY CHAMP – Winner at domestic class 4 in March, she enters in solid form and shouldn’t be too far away.
2. KWAEHAN TANSAENG – Has won her last two to be rapidly promoted to this level. Nicely in here though and three in a row is possible.
3. WINNING GILI – 6th of 11 on first try at this class on April 21st. Drops back in trip today.
4. AQUA QUEEN – 5th of 11 last time. Tries her luck at a higher class today and looks up against it.
5. B.K. SAY – Two 2nds and a 3rd in three tries at this level and a big chance of being on top today.
6. RUBY’S TALE – Shown little in two starts so far. Top jockey stays on.
7. DAEHOYEOJANGGUN – Good 3rd over 1200M at the start of April but couldn’t follow up latest.
8. NIGHT FURY – Back to back wains saw her quickly promoted but struggled in tough race over 1400M on first try at this level. Can go better today.
9. NAMYANG QUEEN – Up in class today having won two from last three and in the frame again.
10. B.K. KING – Very experienced, doesn’t usually miss by too much but others generally quicker.
11. BOUND QUEENS – Tries a higher level today. Not among the favourites but has outside placing chances.
Verdict: Just fillies and mares here and (2) KWAEHAN TANSAENG finds herself rapidly up in class following back to back wins at levels 6 & 5. She led almost from gate to wire in those but while she still looks competitive here, this is a much tougher ask. Likely favourite is (5) B.K. SAY, who may only have won once but also has five 2nd places, including at this class and another win is surely not too far away. One of those 2nd places was behind (1) LADY CHAMP and she too looks nicely in here while (3) WINNING GILI and (8) NIGHT FURY are others to consider.
Selections (5) B.K Say (2) Kwaehan Tansaeng (1) Lady Champ (8) Night Fury
Next Best 3, 7
Fast Start 2, 9
Race 7: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. GOLDEN KINGS – Well back in four starts so far this year.
2. GARAK GONGWON – Finished in midfield in recent outings.
3. TAEGWON CHAMP – Yet to win in 25 and showing few signs of that changing.
4. CHOEGANG FOREST – A little disappointing last start after a good 4th in March. Tries a mile for the first time.
5. PINK BLADE – Getting closer at class and distance. Should have a win in her at this level. Should really be here.
6. DAMYANG CHEONSA – Well back behind Pink Blade last start.
7. STYLISH – Struggled a little on first try at this class but both 2nd place finishes have been at this distance and he could improve today.
8. CHEONJI CHAMP – Slightly disappointing in tough race last time along with Stylish, he does have decent form at class and distance though and can place.
9. ACE JILJU – In dreadful form of late.
10. THE WORLD – 5th behind Pink Blade last start and can compete again here.
Verdict: (5) PINK BLADE has proven to be competitive at this class, the distance suits and while she’s not a fast starter, she can sit behind any early pace and come through to win. (10) THE WORLD was 5th to Pink Blade’s 4th last time and she looks likely to be the one to push her the most here but don’t rule out improved showings from (4) CHOEGANG FOREST and (8) CHEONJI CHAMP.
Selections (5) Pink Blade (10) The World (8) Cheonji Champ (4) Choegang Forest
Next Best 7, 2
Fast Start 4, 9
Race 8: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. HWANSANGUI JILJU – Up in class and distance following his second win in four starts. In the frame again but a much tougher ask today.
2. MACH BOLT – Just gone a little cold in recent outings.
3. PARK MAN – 3rd behind Kwaedo Sinhwa last start and up in class along with that one today. A bit to find but definitely in the placing hunt.
4. BAEKDUBONG – Good, if slightly unexpected, 2nd place over 1400M last start and could surprise again.
5. CHOEGANG OFFICER – Disappointed when favourite last start but proven at the distance and worth another chance today.
6. ADELEUI CHUKJE – Three 2nd places among his last four starts and he could go one better today. Likely favourite.
7. KWAEDO SINHWA – Up in class having won at the distance on April 14th and she’ll be in the hunt again.
8. HOT COMMEND – Races for the first time since last August. Trialled up in average fashion and may well need this.
9. VICAR SARANG – Struggled in three outings at this level so far.
Verdict: (6) ADELEUI CHUKJE has been 2nd in all three of his tries at this distance so far but should have too much for this field and can finally get it right today. Expect him to be ridden loser to the front today. Main danger is the up in class (7) KWAEDO SINHWA, who put in a gutsy performance to narrowly win a tough class 5 race at the distance last month and can go well here. (3) PARK MAN was 3rd that day and can be competitive too with (5) CHOEGANG OFFICER looking best of the rest.
Selections (6) Adeleui Chukje (7) Kwaedo Sinhwa (3) Park Man (5) Choegang Officer
Next Best 1, 4
Fast Start 6, 7
Race 9: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. KWAESEOK BARAM – Recent efforts unconvincing.
2. WIN GO MAN – Offered little of late.
3. JEONGSANG KOREA – 5th of 12 on first try at this class last time and can build on that.
4. SEONGSAN PAECHEONG – Down in class today having loss competitiveness at class 2 in recent starts. Big step back so may improve.
5. GIANT HOLD – Steps back in trip for the first time in a while and should be in the placing frame.
6. GOLD SUMMATION – Two starts into a comeback and has a 2nd and a 5th both in tough company. Can go close here.
7. MUJEOK WONDERFUL – Thomas Gillespie’s colt exceeded expectations to run 3rd on his first try at this level on April 21st. He looks favourite to prevail this time.
8. AMERANCE FASHION – Has run in tough company but has held her own and could be in the placing frame here too.
9. BARAMUI HEUNJEOK – Up in class following back to back wins and has every chance of making it three in a row today.
Verdict: (7) MUJEOK WONDERFUL has a win, a 2nd and a 3rd in three starts so far and the most recent of those – the 3rd – being at class and distance in tougher company than he faces here and he looks to be the one to beat. It took (9) BARAMUI HUNJEOK seven races to figure out where the winning post is but he’s now won his last two in emphatic style and while up in class and distance here, still has every chance of making it three. Those two are the standouts but don’t rule out (6) GOLD SUMMATION or even (3) JEONGSANG KOREA and (5) GIANT HOLD from being involved.
Selections (7) Mujeok Wonderful (9) Baramui Hunjeok (6) Gold Summation (5) Giant Hold
Next Best 3, 8
Fast Start 5, 6, 7, 9
Race 10: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
1. HANGGEUMBITJIJUNG – 6th behind Banjiui Jewang latest so plenty to find. Did manage an unexpected 2nd the time before though, ahead of You’re Hilarious.
2. BANJIUI JEWANG – Returned to the winner’s circle on April 16th beating a couple of these along the way. Carries more weight today but every chance of a repeat.
3. YEONGTO DAEWANG – Class 3 winner in March but struggled when racing against five of these on April 28th.
4. UBAKI – Decent 4th when racing five of these on April 28th. Long shot that day and won’t be favoured today either but could surprise.
5. YOU’RE HILARIOUS – 3rd behind Hwanggeumbitjijung last up and comes in fresh after ten weeks out. Consistent and can challenge.
6. GABOGAPJJANG – 4th behind Banjiui Jewang latest and can match or better today.
7. JEONGSANG JEAP – Last among the six who raced each other on April 28th.
8. AJU CHOEGANG – Best of the six who raced each other on April 28th, ending in 2nd. Already a class and distance winner, apprentice takes weight off and a chance.
9. TRIPLE PARTY – Up in class following a solid all the way win at the distance six weeks ago. Tougher ask today but very light weight and it’s not impossible.
10. YUSEONGCHEOREOM – Just seems to have found his level like so many others at class 2. Could sneak a place but would need to improve for any better.
11. BLUE STORM – 5th behind Aju Choegang and Ubaki on April 28th. Decent showing on what was his first try at this level but will need more today.
12. DROP THE BEAT – Began his career with two wins but has found it harder in three subsequent tries. Interesting outsider.
Verdict: (2) BANJIUI JEWANG was in the classic hunt as a three-year-old and although he had a lot of setbacks, he’s maintained his talent and won last time out over 1400M on April 16th. He’s up in weight but back in trip and has solid claims again. (8) AJU CHOEGANG beat five of these at class and distance on April 28th and needs to be taken seriously while (5) YOU’RE HILARIOUS and (6) GABOGAPJJANG also look in the hunt in what’s a competitive affair. (9) TRIPLE PARTY also looks extremely well weighted and shouldn’t be discounted.
Selections (2) Banjiui Jewang (8) Aju Choegang (6) Gabogapjjang (5) You’re Hilarious
Next Best 9, 12
Fast Start 3, 9, 10, 12