10-race Children’s Day card at Busan on Friday with the first at 11:30 and the last at 18:00. English race cards can be found here. Notes on races to be simulcast overseas are below:
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. WIDAEHANGWANGGYONG – Up in class following three consecutive 3rd place finishes. Will have to improve to match that here.
2. NAMBANG JEONSEOL – 6th behind Dream Jilju and King Simon latest start. Can match or better today.
3. GOLD RUSH – Up in class following maiden win at the eleventh time of asking on April 7th. Can be competitive but a few others may be too strong.
4. SAMJEONG AGAIN – A four-length winner over 1200M on debut on April 7th, he’s every chance of scoring again.
5. GEOWIUI KKUM – Beaten by Nambang Jeonseol in March but a solid 5th at this distance last start.
6. ARENA – a 3rd and two 4th place finishes from three outings at this level. To be considered here.
7. YEONGGWANGUICOUNTRY – Not far away in two starts at this level and not impossible here.
8. KING SIMON – 3rd, just a neck behind Dream Jilju on latest outing and in the frame again.
9. DREAM JILJU – 2nd, ahead of King Simon and Nambang Jeonseol on April 9th, and strong contender today.
10. TIMELESS – Without a win but up in class today having been 3rd – well back behind the winner – over this distance three weeks ago. Looks to have much to find.
11. GERMAN JEONCHA – Well beaten in two starts so far this year.
Verdict: (4) SAMJEONG AGAIN was a convincing winner of debut on April 7th. He’s up in class today but has every chance of making all once more. (9) DREAM JILJU narrowly got the better of (8) KING SIMON as the pair finished 2nd and 3rd at class and distance on April 9th. Both should be competitive again. (6) ARENA has already proven competitive at this level and can improve on the 4th places she’s managed in both her last two starts.
Selections (4) Samjeong Again (9) Dream Jilju (6) Arena (8) King Simon
Next Best 5, 2, 7
Fast Start 4, 6
Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. CHEONNYEON BIMA – 3rd, six lengths behind Rich Money at class and distance three weeks ago. Needs to improve to repeat.
2. WHITE CASTLE – Races for the first time since last September. Trialled up ok but a watching brief first-up is perhaps best.
3. YEONGGWANG SEUNGNI – 5th on latest start behind Rich Money and Cheonnyeon Bima. Yet to win in four but still potential for improvement.
4. PAEGWON TONGIL – Shown little following a mildly encouraging debut.
5. RICH MONEY – Winner of two from five and comes in having been 2nd, ahead of Cheonnyeon Bima and Yeonggwang Seungni last start. Possibly the one to beat.
6. ADELE STAR – A bit disappointing in two tries since winning over 1200M in March. Can improve today.
7. SEULVELY – Only beat one home on first try at this distance when well backed last time. Could still come good but is a risk.
8. SEIZE THE TIME –Yet to win in 23 and that probably won’t change here.
9. WINNING NUMBER – Generally beats a few but others should be quicker today.
10. YUSEONG FIRST – Improved 4th at class and distance latest start and 2nd to Rich Money in February. A chance.
11. ALBERT VICAR –Capable filly at this level and she could be in the placing frame.
12. LADY CHAMP –Class and distance winner in March, she followed up with back to back 4th places. Not favoured today but not completely without a chance.
Verdict: It looks to be only a matter of time before (5) RICH MONEY gets back into the winner’s circle and it could well be here. She lost out by a couple of lengths last time but should be on speed here and can go all the way. (3) YEONGGWANG SEUNGNI is yet to fulfil his potential but while she was almost eight lengths behind Rich Money last time, she can still improve here and should be a danger. (6) ADELE STAR is inconsistent but has ability as does (11) ALBERT VICAR, who has already proven capable at this level.
Selections (5) Rich Money (3) Yeonggwang Seungni (6) Adele Star (11) Albert Vicar
Next Best 10, 7
Fast Start 2, 5, 6, 7
Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. YEONGGWANGUI FORE – Up in class having run 2nd to Sinuipumgyeok just two weeks ago and can challenge that same one again today.
2. SINUIPUMGYEOK – Beat Yeonggwangui Fore by two lengths to record his second win two weeks ago. Up in class but still the favourite to repeat.
3. YEONGGWANGUICHUBOK – Yet to score in 38 attempts but go his eighth 2nd place last start a month ago. Outside placing chances.
4. MORNING PARK – Going well around the turn of the year but just gone cold slightly in latest two.
5. DON’T STOP –Yet to score in 18 and that’s unlikely to change here. Minor money best hope.
6. GREEN GREEN – Won his first two very handily indeed but latest two haven’t suited in terms of distance and competition. Better expected today.
7. SUNGANUI BEOPCHIK – Only beat one home last start but is better than that and worthy of another chance here.
8. CHOEGANG DREAM – Races for the first time since last July. That was a win so he’s up in class here. Trialled ok and while he’ll surely need this, he could be interesting.
9. ELISHA – Last of 10 latest start and hasn’t really got to grips with this class.
10. HWANHUIUI BYEOL – Never usually too far away. Decent enough 6th of 12 last time.
Verdict: (2) SINUIPUMGYEOK was a convincing winner over 1200M two weeks ago and despite being up in class today, looks very much the one to beat here. In 2nd that day and also up in class is (1) YEONGGWANGUI FORE and he could well be the one who gets closest again. (6) GREEN GREEN has plenty of excuses for his last to outings but should require fewer today while (7) SUNGANUI BEOPCHIK and the returning (8) CHOEGANG DREAM are others to take into account.
Selections (2) Sinuipumgyeok (6) Green Green (1) Yeonggwangui Fore (8) Choegang Dream
Next Best 7, 10
Fast Start 1, 2, 6, 9
Race 8: Class 3 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. ACE POWER – Not far off in recent outings and should have the beating of plenty of these.
2. NO SMALL KOREA – Shown little in three starts back from a layoff.
3. LET’S WIN – Yet to win and has shown little sign if looking likely to in recent starts.
4. KING THE GRAY – Capable type but others should have too much here.
5. MAERYEOK DEONGEORI –Yet to score in 27 and unlikely to change today.
6. SINCHEON YEOMANG – First start since last November. Trialled up in average fashion and won’t be among the favourites.
7. KWAESEOK BARAM – Struggled in recent outings and an outsider here.
8. COTTINPICKINGOOD – Two 3rds and a 4th in three outings so far this year, beating plenty of these along the way. Big chance.
9. COWBOY CAPTAIN – Has a 4th at class and distance to his name and can aim to at least match that today.
10. MORNING KOREA – 4th in a tough race over 1200M on what was his first try at this level in March. First start since and while he is yet to win, he can’t be ruled out.
11. DAMYANG HWANHO – Beaten by a couple of these last time but still has potential to get better.
12. GREAT KING – Yet to win in six but up in class following a third 2nd place finish. Looks very nicely in here and has a chance.
Verdict: (8) COTTINPICKINGOOD was 3rd at class and distance three weeks ago, beating a couple of these along the way. A strong finisher, he looks the one to beat here. It’s a competitive race though. (12) GREAT KING has a 5kg weight advantage and while he didn’t manage to win at class 4, the manner of his runs suggest a win is in his future at some point and it could be here. (1) ACE POWER and (10) MORNING KOREA should both be competitive in this company and can be considered.
Selections (8) Cottinpickingood (12) Great King (10) Morning Korea (1) Ace Power
Next Best 9, 11
Fast Start 3, 6, 11, 12
Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. WISH ME LUCK – 3rd and 4th in latest two and while he was 11-lengths behind V Man last time, he is in the frame again.
2. V MAN – Beat Wish Me Luck by 11-lengths when 3rd two weeks ago and looks in the best for of his career. He has claims.
3. HAPPY GONGJU – Interesting entry, she is still class 4 but takes her chance here at a distance she’s never run before. It would be a surprise but watch the market.
4. GANGHAN NAMJA – Comes in following three very solid performances at class and distance and can’t be ignored here.
5. ADELEUI JINJU – Just beaten a nose over a mile three weeks ago. That was at class 5 so she’s up two levels here. Nicely in and talented though so don’t overlook.
6. SONATA ZONE – Not impressed of late.
7. MAGIC LINE – Shown little in two starts back since a layoff.
8. SANGSEUNG MODE – 5th at class and distance in February but well back twice since then.
9. MACHU PICCHU – Struggled last time out but in this company could be in the placing frame.
10. GIFTED SUN – Up in class following victory over a mile last start. First try at the distance today and he is in the hunt.
11. GOLD SKY – Well back in recent outings. Much to find.
Verdict: Interesting race here and it could be time for (4) GANGHAN NAMJA, who has been solid in each of his last three at class and distance to step up and take the win. He has run into others slightly quicker though and if that were to happen today it could be (2) V MAN who takes advantage. He and (1) WISH ME LUCK have raced together in both their last two outings and should be competitive again here. (10) GIFTED SUN is up in class and distance following victory at a mile last start and can’t be ruled out here.
Selections (4) Ganghan Namja (10) Gifted Sun (2) V Man (1) Wish Me Luck
Next Best 5, 9, 3
Fast Start 5, 7, 9
Race 10: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 9 Million
1. BADA GANGJA – Up in class following victory over a mile at the end of March. Can be competitive but it’s a big step up to a level he struggled at before.
2. MUPAE – Returned from seven months off in February with a win which puts him up in class. Off since then but looks to have potential.
3. SHARP GALE – A little inconsistent but she has proven herself capable of winning money in this company.
4. TRIPLE YEONGGWANG – Up in class after three wins from six starts. Just came up short last time out but look a strong contender here.
5. SPECIAL LINE – First start for a year. Trialled up ok but a big ask first up.
6. SEUNGNI WAVE – 5th behind Sharp Gale at the end of March and can match or better that today.
7. YANKEE DREAM – Class 3 winner in February, he has been beaten by a few of these in two starts at this level since. A bit to find.
8. SANTA GLORIA –6th behind Sharp Gale and Seungni Wave at the end of March so has some form to overturn here.
9. JANTEUGARU – Solid 3rd at class and distance on April 16th and in the frame again today.
10. MR. WHY – Recent form doesn’t inspire.
11. PANGPANG HERO – Up in class having run 2nd to a very good one last time. Big step up but could be an interesting outsider.
12. SILVER CLASSIC – Down in class today and while this should be more comfortable, she’ll be an outsider.
Verdict: (2) MUPAE has only run four times but he’s won three of them, most recently in February to get promoted to this level. He’s had hoof issues since but comes in here with Seoul jockey Lee Hyeon Jong on board and he could well be the one to beat. He’ll likely try to lead all the way. (4) TRIPLE YEONGGWANG is also up in class and looks to be the main danger while (9) JANTEUGAREU is already proven at this level and can at least match the 3rd he scored over this distance three weeks ago. (3) SHARP GALE and (6) SEUNGNI WAVE look best of the rest.
Selections (2) Mupae (4) Triple Yeonggwang (9) Janteugaru (3) Sharp Gale
Next Best 6, 11
Fast Start 2, 5, 7