There are 11 races at Seoul on Saturday with the first at 10:45 and the last at 18:00. English race cards can be found here. Notes on races 5-11 are below:
Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. SEOUL BOLT – Up in class following her maiden win at this distance at the end of February. Every chance of a repeat.
2. EVA ROAD – Her solitary win came at this distance last summer and she comes in following a creditable 5th of 12 last time out.
3. SHINE QUEEN – Struggled a little last time on a sloppy track but is competitive at this level and can look for the places.
4. TRUE TIMBER – Up in class following her maiden win at this distance just under a month ago. Strong claims once more.
5. PUREUN JILJU – A winner on debut last August, she races for the first time since October. Trialled up in average fashion.
6. BEST SHOOTER – Unseated her jockey last time after clipping heels; she was well-fancied for that race following 2nd place at class and distance in February. Worth another chance.
7. JUGEUKSEONG – Out-performed her odds to be 5th on each of her last two starts, she’ll not be well fancied again but should beat a few.
8. CHEON YANG – Up in class despite not having won yet. Back to back 2nd place finishes showed promise and she should be in the frame here.
9. GOLDIE EARTH – Had a hard time on a sloppy track on her first try at this level. Can improve but won’t be among the favourites.
10. VET TIME – Back to back 6th places coming in here and a repeat would be par.
11. MORNING MAMBO – Yet to score in 17 and she’s an outsider to put that right today.
Verdict: All roads lead to (1) SEOUL BOLT in our opener. She got her maiden win in impressive fashion at the end of February and despite being up in class today, should have too much for this field. So long as (6) BEST SHOOTER doesn’t ship her jockey this time, she can be expected to be in the mix while another pairs up in class, (4) TRUE TIMBER and (8) CHEON YANG look good for the places too.
Selections (1) Seoul Bolt (8) Cheon Yang (4) True Timber (6) Best Shooter
Next Best 3, 7
Fast Start 1, 9, 11
Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
1. THE KAY – Uncompetitive to such an extent last start she was sent back to trial. Little to recommend.
2. WHANGHORAN JILJU – Solid 4th last time at this distance was his best to date. Should be close to the speed and still scope for improvement.
3. BROADWAY SIN – Yet to score in five but close in all but one of those. One to consider here.
4. YEONGDONG DAERO – $30K purchase from Keeneland as a yearling and finally makes his debut. Watching brief first-up.
5. CITY WOLF – 5th behind Broadway Sin last start and similar finish would be a good result today.
6. SHARK RUN – Drosselmeyer filly who cost $33K from OBS as a 2yo. Debuts here after promising trial. Watch the market.
7. DA BIKYEO – Sone nothing in two starts so far but the champion jockey gets on so there are sure to be some takers.
8. NOPEUN BIT – Brian Dean’s stable is in fine form so this one, who was 6th on 12 on debut, could well be worth following.
9. JEONGSANG TEUKGEUB – Has beaten a couple of these recently. 3rd at the distance last time and has claims here.
10. BID TOWN – Offered few clues in three outings so far. Tries further than the minimum for the first time.
11. READY TO BUST OUT – Sent back to trial after both her first two starts she at least avoided that last time. Still nothing to recommend though.
12. YEOKJEONUI USEUNG – Old Fashioned colt who cost $40K from Fasig Tipton last May. Average is trials so a watching brief first-up.
Verdict: Not a strong race so despite being yet to break through, (3) BROADWAY SIN, who has consistently come close, is marginally favoured to get the maiden win today. (9) JEONGSANG TEUKGEUB has claims too having already finished ahead of a few of these and there’s no reason to suggest he can’t repeat. In such a race the debut-makers must also be considered and among the three of them, (6) SHARK RUN looks the most promising. (2) WANGHORAN JILJU improved last time and could again.
Selections (3) Broadway Sin (9) Jeongsang Teukgeub (6) Shark Run (2) Wanghoran Jilju
Next Best 5, 12, 8
Fast Start 3, 5, 9
Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
1. ELITE QUEEN – Didn’t get much respect from punters following an unexpected victory in February. 5th last time out and can match or better.
2. EOMJI SONGARAK – Three consecutive 8th placed finishes to start the year and a repeat of that is not improbable here.
3. DAEHAENG DAEBAK – Two wins in a row at the end of last year saw him promoted two levels to class 4. Last on only start of 2017 so far. Had excuses and may improve.
4. JAMNYONG – 7th behind Jeongsangui Bit at 1300M last time. That was second-up following a lengthy absence and could improve under a much lighter weight today.
5. MR. CHAMPION – Looks on the way up. A winner at this class last time, if he gets the lead early, he’ll be tough to beat.
6. DANGCHAN MOSEUP – Enters following a pair of 2nd place finishes and can’t be ruled out of going close again.
7. GEUM KAERA – Getting closer once more in her last two. Will need to find a bit more here but can place.
8. JEONGSANGUI BIT – 5th of 10 ahead of Jamnyong last start, a repeat of that would be a good result.
9. SUN MASTER – A class and distance winner, he could only manage 2nd when odds-on favourite last start. Another chance today although the champion jockey gets on another.
10. HURRICANE BLUE – Well backed for each of his three attempts at this class but hasn’t managed better than 4th. Improvement not impossible today.
11. BEST TAKER – 2nd at long odds behind Mr. Champion on March 12th. That was a big improvement on recent outings.
12. PHILLANIKE – Up in class following her 2nd win at the eight time of asking on March 11th. Will need to find more today but should be competitive.
Verdict: Difficult to look past (5) MR. CHAMPION here. Not an especially modest name but he’s not done much wrong so far and looks capable of winning far stiffer contests than this. Expect improvement from (4) JAMNYONG but (9) SUN MASTER could be the one who pushes the favourite closest. He’s already won at class and distance and can give this a go too. (7) GEUM KAERA and (10) HURRICANE BLUE round out the main placing contenders.
Selections (5) Mr. Champion (9) Sun Master (4) Jamnyong (10) Hurricane Blue
Next Best 7, 1, 6
Fast Start 3, 5, 10
Race 8: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. DIAL KING – Winner of two from five. His two previous attempts at this distance haven’t been successful but he warrants another chance here.
2. PRETTY BOY – 5th of 12 on first try at this class last month. That was over 1700M and dropped back in trip today, he can go better.
3. O.K. YEONDAB – Along with Dial King, she disappointed when well backed on March 12th. Looking for improvement today.
4. REWARD HIGH – Drops back in trip following a couple of goes around two turns. Competitive at this distance but a tough ask to win.
5. MASANG GWIJAE – Up in class following a 2nd place over 1200M on March 11th. First try at this distance.
6. DAEBAKIDA – Usually goes close at this level and jockey booking a real plus.
7. USEUNG HOUSE – Big gaps between recent starts and little about his last outing inspires confidence here.
8. GANGTA – Stepped up to 1700M for his first try at class 3 and found it very difficult. Distance more amenable today but company is tough.
9. CHOEGANG BEODEUL – Beaten few in two outings so far in 2017.
10. LOST IN DRAMA – Yet to win in eight but came too close too many times at class 4. Only beat a couple home on first try at this level.
11. MADURYEONG – Well back in both starts this year and little to recommend.
12. SINGIPARANG – Heavily beaten in three outings at this level since getting his maiden win last November.
Verdict: Less of a clear favourite here but a few stand out. Both (1) DIAL KING and (3) O.K. YEONDAB were well backed but both disappointed when racing each other last start. This is the kind of race that should suit both and we’ll go with Dial King to prevail. (2) PRETTY BOY was creditable enough when stepped up to 1700M last start but today’s task should suit better and he’s to be considered.
Selections (1) Dial King (2) Pretty Boy (3) O.K. Yeondab (5) Masang Gwijae
Next Best 6, 4
Fast Start 4, 5, 10, 12
Race 9: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
1. GAEULI JEONSEOL – 4th ahead of a couple of these on March 12th. Never been better than 3rd but could match that here.
2. COPALERO – Well back in each of eight starts so far.
3. KAIZEN FORCE – Beaten six lengths by Gaeuli Jeonseol last start so plenty to make up today.
4. SPASTAR – Domestic class 5 mare who is at least a proven winner even if most recent was last Ausgust. Could sneak some minor money.
5. JWACHEONGNYONG – Much improved 4th last start ahead of Santa Mari and comes into consideration here.
6. PEARL SHINE – Solitary victory was a couple of years ago. Little in recent form to suggest a repeat is likely.
7. DOSI NONGBU – 5th of 11 on debut in February. He ran on very nicely over 1300M and should suit the step up in trip here. A chance.
8. SANTA MARI – Hasn’t finished any worse than 5th in any of her most recent eight outings. That should continue today. 3rd last time she tried this distance, she has a real chance.
9. BYEOLDU – Little recent form and top weight having recently been demoted from class 3 suggests it won’t be easy here.
10. DOUBLE J – Inconsistent but scored a very good 2nd at class and distance in February. Champion jockey on board today and he will be backed.
11. J.S. ONE – First start since January when he was 6th behind Santa Mari. Two 3rd places over this distance prior to that, he looks a live outsider.
Verdict: No superstars are going to emerge from this one and from a pure consistency point of view, we’re going to go with (8) SANTA MARI to get what would be just her 2nd win on her 36th career start. In a race with not much obvious pace, she could well lead early here and go all the way. (10) DOUBLE J lacks that consistency but manages a 2nd at this distance as recently as February and with Moon Se Young taking over in the saddle today, has to be taken seriously. (7) DOSI NONGBU ran on very well on debut and looks suited by the step up in trip while (1) GAEULI JEONSEOL too improved last time and may be a factor.
Selections (8) Santa Mari (7) Dosi Nongbu (10) Double J (1) Gaeuli Jeonseol
Next Best 5, 11
Fast Start 8
Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. INSUJAE – Woeful form of late and hard to recommend.
2. JEONGSANG MIREU – Races for the first time since last August. Trialled up well but a watching brief first up may be wise.
3. FLY WING – Well back behind Majungmul on latest start so plenty to find.
4. DAEBOBAE – Hasn’t impressed in latest three, getting on pace each time before weakening. Likely to go forward again and could be an interesting outsider.
5. MAJUNGMUL – Has only won twice but has six 2nd place finishes to her name including her most recent three. Runs on well and the extra half furlong today should suit.
6. BOLT SIGN – Usually beats a few but recent form doesn’t inspire.
7. CARDIFF HWANHUI – Never really got going in his most recent two, latest behind Majungmul. Improvement not ruled out.
8. LUCKY HEART – Decent 6th over 1700M last time. Generally settles at the rear and finishes strongly on her day.
9. NEULPUREUN TIGER – Down in class having gone cold at class 2. There is a big gap between the levels so she may find this much more to her liking.
10. CHOWONUI CHANGA – Well beaten by Majungmul but ahead of a couple of others who go here last star, he should beat a few again.
11. JANGSAN POWER – He’s won his last three to come up from class 6 in double-quick time. Latest was over 1700M so up in distance again as well as class. A big chance.
Verdict: There’s a danger it may be too much too soon but we’ll go with potential here and (11) JANGSAN POWER has plenty of it. He won by a length last time over 1700M and is likely to be on the early speed here with every chance of going all the way. Perennial runner-up (5) MAJUNGMUL should be close once more while (9) NEULPUREUN TIGER can find today’s company much more amenable than she’s been used to of late. (4) DAEBOBAE and (7) CARDIFF HWANHUI among others capable of improvement on recent showings.
Selections (11) Jangsan Power (5) Maungmul (4) Daebobae (9) Neulpureun Tiger
Next Best 7, 10
Fast Start 4, 5, 11
Race 11: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
1. MIDAS ROAD – 3rd at class and distance on March 11th with three of his rivals here well back, he’s a strong contender to score here.
2. CHOWON GANGTA – Steps back in trip for the first time in a while and should be all the better for it. A chance.
3. AUGUST RUSH – Races for the first time since October. Trialled up in average fashion and may need this.
4. YEONGGWANGUIGEUNAL – One of those well beaten by Midas Road last start and has much to find today.
5. MENI MUSIC – Disappointing on her solitary start of 2017 so far, she’s had six weeks off and warrants another chance here.
6. SIDAEUIYEOWANG – Up in class following a win and a 3rd place at class 3. Big step up but not insurmountable as she still seems to be improving.
7. POWER BISEUL – 7th of 14 on first try at this class last start. Will need to find plenty in order to win but can get closer today.
8. CHEONYEONUIGIPPEUM – Beaten few in three starts since returning from time off.
9. JEWELRY PARK – Hasn’t found this level easy in three attempts at tit so far. Beat Midas Road in February but beaten by Meni Music last time.
10. POWER AND SPEED – Just one start so far in 2017 and was beaten by Jewelry Park and Midas Road. Nine weeks off since then and a lot to find.
11. JANGSAN HORANGI – A class and distance winner in December, beating Midas Road into 2nd but form has dropped off in two starts since. Can be respected.
12. EYE SAY WHO DEY –Was talented but since injury setbacks hasn’t looked the same horse he once was.
Verdict: (1) MIDAS ROAD looks to be the one coming into the best form of these and he can build on his 3rd place from last time and take the honours today. Main danger looks to be (5) MENI MUSIC although (2) CHOWON GANGTA should enjoy the reduced trip and the likes of (6) SIDAEUIYEOWANG and (7) POWER BISEUL can’t be ruled out.
Selections (1) Midas Road (5) Meni Music (2) Chowon Gangta (6) Sidaeuiyeowang
Next Best 11, 7, 9
Fast Start 3, 5, 6