Busan was the scene of Indian King’s surprise win in the KRA Cup Mile, the first leg of the 2017 Korean Triple Crown, last Sunday and it’s Busan where this week’s action gets underway on Friday with a card of 10 races from 11:30 to 18:00.
English race cards can be found here. Notes on races to be simulcast overseas are below
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
1. MADOBIYEON – 8th in each of his last four and that sounds about right again.
2. URI GIPPEUM – Back to back 3rd place finishes in his latest two outings. Gets the top jockey on and has a chance.
3. SEUNGNIHARI – Sent back to trial for being uncompetitive last time. Seems little prospect of improvement.
4. GOLD RUSH – Landed a career best 2nd place on March 10th at 1200M and is one of the favourites here.
5. MUNHWA DAERO – An improved 5th last start behind Astra, his first time finding the minor money. Still more to find.
6. ROYAL TRIPLE – Decidedly average in two attempts so far. Both those were at 1000M and step up in trip may benefit.
7. HWANGGEUMBITYEONGU – 8th behind Astra and Munhwa Daero latest. Never finished any better than 5th.
8. DONGNAM JINJU – Returned after nine-month spell to record her best finish to date three weeks ago. Tries 1300M for the first time
9. MEISTER GO – Steps back in trip following two creditable goes at a mile. 3rd last time when favourite and strong contender here. Likely pace-setter.
10. WANGGI – Three latest have been at a mile including career best 5th in January. Would be a surprise.
11. ASTRA – Shown progress in three starts to date and beat Munhwa Daeo and Hwanggeumbityeongu on way to 4th latest. A chance.
Verdict: (4) GOLD RUSH has been getting closer lately, culminating in a 2nd place on March 10th at 1200M. He wasn’t too far away last time he ran at this distance either and he looks to be the one to beat here. Trainer Thomas Gillespie and jockey Marios Mina are both worth following so their teaming up here with (11) ASTRA makes that one tempting after the improvement he showed last time. (2) URI GIPPEUM comes in following a pair of 2nds and warrants a mention as does (9) MEISTER GO.
Selections (4) Gold Rush (11) Astra (9) Meister Go (2) Uri Gippeum
Next Best 5, 7
Fast Start 2, 9, 11
Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. U S MAN – US bred who’s been dropped from class 4. Needs to be pretty ordinary for that to happen.
2. SKY WINNER –Enters in no form at all and can’t be recommended.
3. DYNAMIC STAR – A winner on debut in December, he finally reappears here following injury. Up in class and in distance, he is a contender.
4. CLEAN CHOEGANG – Gone very cold of late and is down in class and distance today. Not among the fancies.
5. BAENGNYEON SONNIM – Got his maiden win at the third time of asking on March 3rd. Up in class and distance but both should be overcome. Big chance.
6. MINIME – Decent last summer but beaten very few since.
7. AREUMDAUN OECHIM – She was overmatched against the best fillies of her crop last time but should find this company much more amenable.
8. YEONGGWANGUI PARK – Disappointed last time but has come close at this level and should be firmly in the frame.
9. HYPER STAR – Offered few clues in two races back following eight months out.
10. BADA BULPAE – 5th of 11 last start ahead of Hyper Star and should beat plenty again.
11. FOREVER VICTORY – Last of 11 over a mile just two weeks ago. Yet to win in 18 and not looking likely to change that.
Verdict: (3) DYNAMIC STAR was a winner on debut all the way back in December. He suffered a setback after that and returns up in class today. Trainer David Millar has been getting them right recently though so he’s the pick to maintain his 100% record here. Joining him up in class is (5) BAENGNYEON SONNIM who made his own breakthrough last month. It wasn’t a strong race but he won it handily enough and is worth following on his first attempt at further than the minimum distance. (8) YEONGGWANGUI PARK was disappointing when well-backed last start but can get another chance as can a filly she beat a couple of starts ago (7) AREUMDAUN OECHIM.
Selections (3) Dynamic Star (5) Baengnyeon Sonnim (7) Areumdaun Oechim (8) Yeonggwangui Park
Next Best 9, 1
Fast Start 3, 5, 10
Race 6: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
1. BAY KINGS – A surprise winner last time on March 3rd, he’s accordingly up in class today. Suited the distance though and a repeat is not impossible.
2. VEGA KHAN – Useful 6th of 12 in similar contest on March 10th. Could improve.
3. DAEJIUI HUIMANG – Struggled in latest two. Up to a mile for the first time and won’t be among the favourites.
4. ADELE ACE – Came within a head of making the breakthrough last start having led late on.
Surely has a win in him sooner or later.
5. MISS HERO – Finally allowed down in class after 41 unsuccessful spins in class 4. This won’t be easy either.
6. NEULHAERANG – Enters after three consecutive runner-up finishes, latest at class and distance. Maiden win is on the cards here.
7. DAMYANG CHEONSA – Comes in following two creditable performances at a mile. Makes her 61st start today and while a win is unlikely, the minor money is a possibility.
8. SKY SUN – Been a while since he went better than 4th. Slow starter who usually leaves himself too much to do.
9. SAEBYEOK STAR – Yet to win in ten attempts but has had a couple of near misses. First try at the distance today. Interesting outsider.
10. NOBLE WARRIOR – 4th on return from injury showed promise but hasn’t followed up in two starts since. Improvement still possible.
11. CHEONGMA DAEJANGGUN – Went cold a long time ago and little chance here.
Verdict: Competitive race in which the two standouts are both yet to get their maiden wins. They’ve come close though. (4) ADELE ACE only narrowly missed out last time over 1300M and the one who beat him has gone on to win again since at a higher level. He steps up to 1600M today and is the pick. The main danger is (6) NEULHAERANG. He comes in following three consecutive 2nd place finishes with the most recent two of them being at this distance. He may just have to settle for 2nd once again. (1) BAY KINGS is already a winner at this distance and while the races he won wasn’t strong and he is up in class today, he is to be taken seriously. (2) VEGA KHAN and (10) NOBLE WARRIOR look best of the rest.
Selections (4) Adele Ace (6) Neulhaerang (1) Bay Kings (2) Vega Khan
Next Best 10, 9, 3
Fast Start 1, 4, 6
Race 7: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. REALLY ONE – Decent 4th place on March 17th. First go at a mile today and could be interesting.
2. CHOEGANG OFFICER – Class 5 winner at this distance in February and then a very solid 2nd at this class a month ago. Big chance here.
3. CHASTITY – 7th of 12 first up last month and every chance of improving here.
4. GARAK GONGWON – Usually beats a couple but not expected to be in the hunt here.
5. SVADILFARI – Class and distance winner three weeks ago. Carries an additional 5kg today but not to be ruled out.
6. WINNING NUMBER – A couple of encouraging showings around the turn of the year but not beaten many in three starts since.
7. FLAMENCO – Much improved 3rd of 12 at class and distance last time out and can look for the places again.
8. GALILEE HO – Disappointed in his last two but they’ve both been in tough company. Top rated here, the weights aren’t in his favour but he has to be considered.
9. MORNING BARAMSE – Very good 2nd in what was essentially an Oaks Trial last month. That was just her 4th start and she’s very much in the frame here.
10. ATHENS – Has been getting closer in three outings at this class. 3rd last time at the distance, still nicely weighted and a solid contender here.
Verdict: Ten runners and a solid case can be made for at least half of them. Slight favourite is (2) CHOEGANG OFFICER, 2nd at this distance on his first try at class 4 on March 10th. (7) FLAMENCO was behind him that day while the time before he beat (5) SVADILFARI on his way to victory, again at this distance of a mile. Both those two should be dangers once more as should the improving (9) MORNING BARAMSE. She pulled off an unexpected 2nd place in what was an Oaks trial over 1400M a month ago. Among the others, (8) GALILEE HO has just gone a little cold in his last two, beaten by Svadilfari both times, but could improve.
Selections (2) Choegang Officer (9) Morning Baramse (5) Svadilfari (7) Flamenco
Next Best 10, 8, 1
Fast Start 1, 5, 8, 9
Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
1. SEIZE THE TIME – Finished 2016 with an unexpected 3rd place at class and distance but has reverted to type in his latest two.
2. POKPUNGUI JEWANG – Solitary win came at this distance last June but he hasn’t shown much recently to suggest a repeat is imminent.
3. FLYING RANGER – There were eight months between his first and second outings and he actually did ok on return, running 6th of 12. Any improvement today should be the goal.
4. JIJANG – Yet to finish any better than 3rd in 20 starts but lately he’s not been too far away. Looks nicely in and a career-best finish is possible.
5. NURI BULPAE – Last time this one ran well, Holland was riding him so that’s one angle. Has a bit to find though.
6. YEONGGWANGUISINHWA – Just the one start so far this year and she only beat one home. Showed talent in the past though and it’s dangerous to rule out a Gillespie horse.
7. B.K. PARK – A winner over 1300M in January, he was a decent enough 6th over a mile last start. Fast finisher but may leave himself too much to do at this distance.
8. SEULVELY – Shown improvement in three starts so far with 4th last time his best. More improvement is possible here.
9. TAIL WIND – Carrying the Yoshida colours, he’s likely to be the favourite with a class and distance win to his name already. 3rd last time, he should go better today.
10. WHITE BLUE – Hasn’t been the same since returning from five months off in December.
11. DANGDAE GEOHAM – Has beaten both Seulvely and Jijang although both those have arguably come on since. Should be in the frame.
12. MOMENT – 30th start today, should beat a few but likely to find a few others too quick.
Verdict: (9) TAIL WIND was favourite in a similar race two weeks ago but only managed 3rd as two outsiders got up. He is a class and distance winner though and will be fancied to get back to winning ways today. (8) SEULVELY looks on the way up and can go close while (4) JIJANG may be zero for twenty but was a strong 4th last time and has nothing to fear here. Among the rest, (11) DANGDAE GEOHAM looks the pick.
Selections (9) Tail Wind (8) Seulvely (4) Jijang (11) Dangdae Geoham
Next Best 7, 3
Fast Start 5, 6, 8, 10
Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
1. GOLD BANK – Light weight but latest form doesn’t inspire.
2. DASEOT ME – Not too far away recently and minor money is possible.
3. PARTY AGAIN – Won three of seven to date and was a 5-length winner at a mile last start. First try at two turns, he’s the one to beat.
4. GLORIA ALPHA – Has only won once but has beaten plenty of these in recent outings. 4th behind Giant Hold last start but a serious contender here.
5. LET’S WIN – Yet to win. Started his career promisingly but has lost his way a little of late.
6. ACE SINHWA – Beaten a couple of times recently by Gloria Alpha so has a bit of form to find. Can compete for the places.
7. BLUE SIERRA – 6th behind Daseot Me latest start and has plenty to overcome here.
8. GIANT HOLD – Overturned two defeats by Gloria Alpha when running 2nd at this distance on March 12th. Has to be considered.
9. SEUNGNI PARK – One start into a comeback following six months out. Needed that and may well need this too.
10. BRAVO MARINE – Shown little in two starts since returning from ten months off.
Verdict: (3) PARTY AGAIN looks to be going places and has every chance of getting another win on his first try at his distance today. He’ll sit handy and has a strong finish. (8) GIANT HOLD and (4) GLORIA ALPHA ran 2nd and 4th respectively over the distance on March 12th and both should be dangerous today again while (2) DASEOT ME and (6) ACE SINHWA are others in the hunt for at least the minor money.
Selections (3) Party Again (4) Gloria Alpha (8) Giant Hold (6) Ace Sinhwa
Next Best 2
Fast Start 4, 5, 7
Race 10: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
1. MR. WHY – Dropped back to class 2 last time but didn’t find it any easier.
2. SINHEUNG GOSU – Decent sprinter whose latest at a mile can be discounted. With a good start it’s not impossible.
3. SMART GENTLEMAN – Found things tough at class 2 so far.
4. SAEROUN BEOPCHIK – Has been beaten by a number of these recently so plenty to find here.
5. WORLD LOVE – 5th behind Baedari Bobae last start was an encouraging run and he should be a much shorter price today.
6. THE QUEEN – She’s still at class 3 but entered here at a very light weight. It’s unlikely but not impossible.
7. WILD BURINING – Not been close in recent starts.
8. BAEDARI BOBAE – Just got edged out last time at a mile. Best horse in the race, he gives the others a minimum of 4kg but can overcome it.
9. GOLD MOON – Seems to have found his level in three starts at class 2. Can look to improve here.
10. SMILE QUEEN – First start since December when she was well back behind Yuseongcheoreom, this looks challenging.
11. AJU CHOEGANG – Steps back to this trip for the first time since last summer, that may benefit but recent form isn’t good.
12. YUSEONGCHEOREOM – Struggled when stepped up to a mile last time but should go much better back to a favoured trip today.
Verdict: (8) BAEDARI BOBAE just missed out over a mile last start but should make no mistake today. (12) YUSEONGCHEOREOM weakened badly over a mile last time and while the draw is not ideal for this front-runner, he can overcome that to put up a stiff test. (2) SINHEUNG GOSU was just a neck behind Yuseongcheoreom in February and can get close once more while (5) WORLD LOVE put in an encouraging performance behind Baedari Bobae a month ago and can be considered for further improvement.
Selections (8) Baedari Bobae (12) Yuseongcheoreom (2) Sinheung Gosu (5) World Love
Next Best 9, 6
Fast Start 2, 9, 12