Fillies take centre-stage at Seoul & Busan on Sunday as the most promising 3-year-olds race for big prizes in the Sports Seoul and Gyeongnam Sinmun Cups. There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 12:40 to 17:05.
English racecards can be found here. Notes on the three overseas simulcast races are below:
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 / 1700M / Handicap / KRW 60 Million
1. MR. FORTUNE – Winner of 3 from 5 including one at this class. First time around two turns but can make all. Big chance.
2. YUJIGYEONGSEONG – 6th of 10 last time at the distance. Could improve.
3. RAON TROY – Beaten by four of these on Feb 4th. Lots to find here.
4. YAHO MIRACLE – Struggled in five tries at this class.
5. DOUBLE J – Unexpectedly beat 4 of these when running 2nd at the distance on Feb 4th. Must be respected.
6. MIRAEBEONJJEOK – Behind three of these on Feb 4th. Top jockey booking but lots of form to overturn.
7. JISANGGEOTAP – 4th on Feb 4th. In the frame again at least for a place.
8. BELLA LAURA – Just beaten a head into 3rd by Double J on Feb 4th. Solid chance of overturning that today.
Verdict: Five of these raced each other at class and distance on February 4th and it was (5) DOUBLE J who unexpectedly did the best, finishing in 2nd place, a head in front of (8) BELLA LAURA. Both can come close again but Bella Laura is favoured to overturn that form here. (7) JISANGGEOTAP was 4th that day and is in the frame again but likely favourite is (1) MR. FORTUNE. He’s won three from five so far with his only defeats coming on debut and in tough juvenile sprint on Christmas Eve. A winner at 1300M last start, he tries two turns for the first time and looks to be the one to beat.
Selections (1) Mr. Fortune (8) Bella Laura (7) Jisanggeotap (5) Double J
Next Best 2, 6
Fast Start 1, 4
Race 9: Class Open “Sports Seoul Cup” / 1400M / Allowance (3yo fillies only) / KRW 250 Million
1. CHEONBIT – Still at class 6, this looks like too much, too soon
2. DAONMARI – Winner of two in a row, comfortably scoring at 1300M last time. Likely front-runner and a chance.
3. EUNHA CHELMA – Two for two so far, both at the minimum distance and both very easy. Distance shouldn’t be a concern and she’s in the frame.
4. PYEONGCHON LION – Weakened over 1700M last start but dropped back in trip today should be better. Placing chances.
5. ROCKET QUEEN – Eye-catching winner at 1300M on Feb 5th, she has every chance today. Trained by Australian Brian Dean.
6. SEVEN CROWN – Started well last year but hasn’t seemed to train on. An outsider.
7. AMAZONAS – Off the mark on latest start and plenty of potential. Can win.
8. LEAD MONEY – 3rd in a good race on Christmas Eve and then a solid 2nd last start at 1300M. Strong claims.
9. ATHENA THUNDER – First run since last place in Breeders’ Cup race in December. Hard to back first up here.
10. GOLDSTAR HILLS – Maiden score on sixth start on Feb 5th but yet to prove herself against all but the weakest opposition. Big test here.
11. KKUMUI SILHYEON – Won her first too but unable to build on it. Has talent though so not impossible.
Verdict: The 3yo filly crop this year doesn’t seem overwhelmed with talent but that makes for an interesting betting proposition here. From a safety point of view, (8) LEAD MONEY’s last two outings have proven that she is capable and it would be a surprise if she was too far away here. If we wish to be a little more exciting though, the unbeaten (3) EUNHA CHELMA looks tempting while the manner of (5) ROCKET QUEEN’s victory over 1300M last month suggests she needs to be taken seriously too. Among the rest, (4) PYEONGCHEON LION and (7) AMAZONAS look most likely.
Selections (5) Rocket Queen (8) Lead Money (3) Eunha Chelma (7) Amazonas
Next Best 4, 2, 11
Fast Start 2, 4, 7, 9
Race 10: Class 2 / 1800M / Handicap / KRW 90 Million
1. CHASING DOLLARS – Not great in his latest two but beat a few of these at 1700M in December.
2. GUY START – Beaten a nose by Chasing Dollars in December. First run since, he’s found it tough at this level.
3. BULGEUN GISANG – First start since November. May improve.
4. HURI BARAM – Class and distance winner on Feb 5th and winner of 5 of 10. Carries an extra 5kg today but still has the strongest claims.
5. READY KHAN – Showed signs of improvement last time, his third back since a lengthy spell. Could go better today.
6. MOLLYDOOKER – Not raced since November and wasn’t going well prior.
7. KEUNBADA – Well back last time but sent up to two turns for the first time. Much to find.
8. REAL TEN – Almost won at class and distance last July but gone cold in three starts since. Should be on speed early.
9. SEUNGNIYEOJE – has a decent record at class and distance but much to find of recent efforts.
10. JEWELRY PARTY – 6th behind Huri Baram latest start. That would be par here too.
11. SIMBA – Winner of 5 from 13 and 6th on his first try at this level on Christmas Dat. In the frame.
12. ROYAL JIBBLY – Class 2 winner at shorter and 4th behind Huri Baram last start. Solid chances.
13. CONCORDE II – Generally comes closer than the 8th she managed behind Huri Baram last month. Can look for the minor money.
14. SUPER COMMANDO – Solid form at this class and very strong finisher. Can go close.
Verdict: It’s a competitive race but (4) HURI BARAM can defy top weight to complete a hat-trick of victories here. (12) ROYAL JIBBLY was 4th behind him last time and can go close again today while (11) SIMBA looks set for improvement. (5) READY KHAN and the closer (14) SUPER COMMANDO are also in the frame.
Selections (4) Huri Baram (12) Royal Jibbly (14) Super Commando (11) Simba
Next Best 5, 10, 1, 2
Fast Start 4, 6, 8, 9