Ten races at Busan on Friday afternoon get the weekend action underway. The first is at 12:40 and the last at 19:00. Racing will return to Busan on Sunday while Seoul hosts cards on Saturday and Sunday.
English racecards can be found here. Notes on races 2-10:
Race 2: Class 6 / 1000M / Allowance / KRW 20 Million / 13:25 (KST)
(9) ROAD TO SUCC ESS looks on the path to a maiden victory. Thomas Gillespie’s filly has shown the most promise among those with experience here and will be favourite to get it right. Of those other experienced ones, (3) MACHO MYEONGUN and (10) HUIMANG PARADE look most likely to improve while among the four debut-makers, (2) DANCING BLAZE and (8) CHEONGCHUN CHAMP look the most likely.
Selections (9) Road To Success (10) Huimang Parade (2) Dancing Blaze (8) Cheongchun Champ
Next Best 3, 5, 1, 4
Outsiders 6, 7, 11, 12
Fast Starters 3, 8, 9
Race 3: Class 6 / 1300M / Allowance / KRW 40 Million / 14:10 (KST)
An improved 2nd last start and finishing strongly, (5) THE WORLD is the pick to strike here with the extra half furlong likely to suit. (9) GABO STAR, who showed promise in three starts around the turn of the year and looked very sharp in a trial two weeks ago , is set to be the main danger while (7) FLORIDA WAY and (8) SEORABEOL DOLPUNG both try this distance for the first time having shown some talent at 1000M. (3) GORYEOUI KKUM has already tried 1300M three times and can improve on the 5th he managed last time out.
Selections (5) The World (9) Gabo Star (3) Goryeoui Kkum (8) Seorabeol Dolpung
Next Best 7, 4
Outsiders 1, 2, 6
Fast Starters 3, 9
Race 4: Class 6 / 1300M / Allowance / KRW 40 Million / 15:00 (KST)
(2) TEXAS RUSH was 2nd when sent off as favourite over this distance at the end of last month and will be fancied once more to put it right in this all-filly affair (1) HWANGGEUM GEOTAP actually beat Texas Rush when racing 2nd back in March at 1200M. She has been off since then and while she didn’t go especially well in a trail earlier this month, she looks like the main danger. (3) GREAT PEARL beat three of these when finishing 2nd in a weak contest in May and while inconsistent, can be involved here while (8) DORAON GASOKDO and (9) OH DAEBAK look best of the rest.
Selections (2) Texas Rush (1) Hwanggeum Geotap (3) Great Pearl (9) Oh Daebak
Next Best 8, 12, 10, 11
Outsiders 4, 5, 6, 7
Fast Starters 1, 12
Race 5: Class 5 / 1200M / Handicap / KW 40 Million / 15:50 (KST)
(2) VICAR HOPE is up in class following her maiden win at the end of last month and if she can get an early lead today – and from gate 2 she has every chance – then she could very well make it two in a row today. (11) JANTEUGAREU is the main danger. He’s shown a good turn of foot in three starts to date and has plenty more wins in him. (10) YEONSEUNG GONGJU scored a decent 2nd at class and distance last time out, beating (1) HANNAM ROOKIE in the process. The latter can go better today. (8) GANGJA DAERO is yet to win in 35 career starts but is more than capable of finding the money at this level.
Selections (2) Vicar Hope (11) Janteugareu (1) Hannam Rookie (10) Yeonseung Gongju
Next Best 8, 7, 4, 3
Outsiders 5, 6, 9
Fast Starters 2, 3, 4, 9
Race 6: Class 5 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 16:40 (KST)
After a comfortable win on debut in May, (7) KKOKDAEGI was a disappointing 4th when favourite on his reappearance two weeks ago. If he can get off to a better start today, he will be dangerous and could well be favourite again. (11) FREE RUNNING is up in class following his maiden victory (beating Texas Rush who we saw in race 4) at this distance last time. He likes to come from well off the pace and could go well again. (10) MAJOR SLAM, who beat Free Running back in April, has achieved back to back 4th places in two starts at this class and can match or better that here. (8) CHOA, who beat Major Slam last time out and (3) SMART MARINE are others to consider.
Selections (7) Kkokdaegi (11) Free Running (10) Major Slam (8) Choa
Next Best 3, 2, 1
Outsiders 4, 5, 6, 9
Fast Starters 1, 5, 7, 8
Race 7: Class 4 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 17:20 (KST)
(7) WONIL BULPAE beat three of these when running 2nd on debut at class and distance in May. He was scratched when likely to be favourite three weeks ago and is to be strongly considered here. (5) FIVE VICTORS may better be known as five runners-up as he has finished 2nd in each of his last five starts. He will be backed again though and 2nd should be a minimum requirement today. (2) KWAEHAN MYEONGPUM and (3) SWEET MYEONGUN are both capable of finding the money at this level. The former is Korean bred as is the up in class (11) IMPASSIONED MARINE, a four-length winner over 1300M three weeks ago and who looks very nicely in here.
Selections (7) Wonil Bulpae (5) Five Victors (11) Impassioned Marine (2) Kwaehan Myeongpum
Next Best 3, 4, 12, 10
Outsiders 1, 6, 8, 9
Fast Starters 1
Race 8: Class 3 / 1800M / Handicap / KRW 72 Million / 18:00 (KST)
(5) BUHWARUI BANSEOK beat (8) MIRACLE IJI by half a length as the pair of them finished 2nd and 3rd in a decent race at class and distance on May 15th and they both have strong claims here with the former favoured once more. Six of the others faced each other over a mile on May 27th. (2) IRON TRAIN finished the best of them in 3rd place and he must be respected having previously won at this distance. (1) DAEJONGCHEON was 4th that day and is another who has performed at this distance in the past while (7) GIANT HOLD, 5th in that race and a stablemate of Buhwarui Banseok is another to consider.
Selections (5) Buhwarui Banseok (1) Daejongcheon (2) Iron Train (8) Miracle Iji
Next Best 7, 6, 3
Outsiders 4, 9, 10
Fast Starters 1, 2, 5, 6
Race 9: Class 2 / 1800M / Handicap / KRW 88 Million / 18:30 (KST)
This race is being held in honour of jockey You Hyun Myung’s recent 700th career winner. The man himself doesn’t have a ride in the race but if he did, he would perhaps choose to be on (3) MORNING DAERO. Following a pair of wins, he was beaten into 4th by (1) FURIOUS PARK and (5) CHOEGANGIJI when seven of these faced each other at class and distance on May 27th but looks very nicely in here to overturn that form. Those other two should run well once more while (9) BAEKDU is up in class following a win at a mile last month. His previous try at this distance didn’t go well but he can be given another chance here. (4) SEONGSAN PAECEHONG looks best of the rest.
Selections (3) Morning Daero (1) Furious Park (5) Choegangiji (9) Baekdu
Next Best 4, 11, 6
Outsiders 2, 7, 8, 10
Fast Starters 4, 7
Race 10: Class 4 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 19:00 (SIN)
(7) WONIL ROOKIE comes in following back to back wins at this class, most recently beating two of these at this distance on May 20th. He has to be respected, however, he is carrying significantly more weight today and that may be a factor. (1) BLUE STORM is up in class following an eye-catching win over this distance on May 29th, he will look to lead from the gate and will be well backed. (9) ACE MARINE beat (3) EOROK by half a length as the pair raced 3rd and 4th over 1400M on May 27th and they may also be considered here.
Selections (1) Blue Storm (7) Wonil Rookie (3) Eorok (9) Ace Marine
Next Best 8, 2
Outsiders 4, 5, 6
Fast Starters 1, 9