All of a sudden we’ve had an early blast of summer on the Korean peninsula this week with temperatures above 30C for the first time this year. There is racing at Seoul on Saturday and Sunday but the action gets underway at Busan on Friday afternoon.
English racecards can be found here. Notes on race 2-10 are here:
Race 2: Class 6 / 1200M / Allowance / KRW 40 Million / 13:25 (KST)
An all-filly affair first-up and (2) PANGPANG LEGEND beat three of these when finishing 2nd in a very similar race on April 22nd and is the pick to go one better this time. Returning for the first time in six months, (4) SUPERNOVA IJI looks to be the main danger while debut-maker (6) SUPER BLADE also looks worth considering. Both came through recent trials in good order. (3) TIME CASTLE, beaten by Pangpang Legend last time and (11) HAEGA TTEUNDA, look best of the rest.
Selections (2) Pangpang Legend (4) Supernova Iji (6) Super Blade (11) Haega Tteunda
Next Best 3, 5, 10, 12
Outsiders 1, 7, 8, 9
Fast Starters 4, 11, 12
Race 3: Class 6 / 1300M / Allowance / KRW 20 Million / 14:10 (KST)
(1) BAEDARI GOSU showed good development in coming 3rd over 1200M on April 29th. She’ll be away slowly but has a strong finish and should appreciate the extra half furlong. She’s the pick. (4) SILENT LAGO and (11) RAON BENTREE have both come close in recent starts and both should do so again. Debut-maker (6) ATHENS showed promise in a trial at the end of last month and this modest company shouldn’t be too intimidating first up – he is from the Kim Young Kwan stable so he will be backed. (9) TAMNA CHEONHA was an improved 3rd last time out and can match that today.
Selections (1) Baedari Gosu (4) Silent Lago (6) Athens (11) Raon Bentree
Next Best 9, 2, 8, 7
Outsiders 3, 5, 10, 12
Fast Starters 3, 5
Race 4: Class 5 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 15:00 (KST)
(5) INDIAN CHIEF is up in class following his maiden win on his fourth start on April 1st. He’ll go to the front from the gate and has claims once more. He may not be favourite though. (6) SMART MARINE is yet to win but was a very solid 2nd on his first try at this class over 1400M on April 29th and will be well-backed to make the breakthrough. He beat (2) DOCHI by four-lengths that day and that one can also improve while the two “Blues”, (1) RAON BLUE and the experienced (9) MISS BLUE are both likely to be on the early speed and are more than capable at this level.
Selections (5) Indian Chief (6) Smart Marine (2) Dochi (1) Raon Blue
Next Best 9, 7
Outsiders 3, 4, 8
Fast Starters 1, 4, 5, 9
Race 5: Class 5 / 1600M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 15:50 (KST)
(6) WISH ME LUCK beat no less than six of these at class and distance on April 15th and can be backed to beat them again. He was 3rd that day and can go even better this time. (8) EUNHA and (5) OCEAN LINE were the two who came closest to him; the latter has gone on to record a 2nd place since and both can be considered here. (4) MR. SPENDING comes in following three consecutive 4th place finishes and should benefit from trying this distance for the first time as indeed should (9) WARRIOR KING. On the other hand, (10) GARAK GONGWON, who finally got his maiden win at the 32nd attempt three weeks ago may not appreciate the extra furlong.
Selections (6) Wish Me Luck (4) Mr. Spending (8) Eunha (5) Ocean Line
Next Best 9, 10, 12, 3, 11
Outsiders 1, 2, 7
Fast Starters 1, 7
Race 6: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 16:40 (KST)
This lot don’t have a huge amount of form against each other but (7) GYERIMUI JILJU beat (4) HOPPANG as the pair raced 2nd and 3rd over 1300M on April 24th and both will be among the top fancies here. (6) NURI BULPAE is a domestic class 4 winner and while he has slightly disappointed in his last two starts, he’s not been too far away and can be given another chance. Kim Young Kwan’s (5) DYNAMIC TANK was 4th on his two starts last summer and finally returns having looked sharp in a trial last weekend. (11) HWANHUIUI BYEOL went too fast too early on his first try at this class last month but back at 1200M today, can go better.
Selections (6) Nuri Bulpae (5) Dynamic Tank (4) Hoppang (7) Gyerimui Jilju
Next Best 11, 8, 12, 2
Outsiders 1, 3, 9, 10
Fast Starters 4, 5, 11
Race 7: Class 4 / 1300M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 17:20 (KST)
Another competitive race with a couple of standouts. Gyeongbudaero’s half-brother (2) WONIL ROOKIE has won twice in three starts since returning from eight months and will look to lead from gate to wire here. He has every chance. The main danger is (5) MAGIC LINE, 2nd on his first try at this class last month and nicely in here. (1) SINSEGYE also comes in following a 2nd place last start and should be close again while (7) CHEONHA TONGIL and the up in class (9) KKEUTPAN JILJU are others to look out for.
Selections (2) Wonil Rookie (5) Magic Line (1) Sinsegye (7) Cheonha Tongil
Next Best 9, 10
Outsiders 3, 4, 6, 8
Fast Starters 2, 7, 10
Race 8: Class 3 / 1600M / Handicap / KRW 72 Million / 17:00 (KST)
(3) SANGSEUNG JUNIOR was 3rd on his return from almost nine months out two weeks ago and back up to a mile today, he looks the one to beat. (9) SINCHEON YEOMANG has beaten plenty of these recently and should improve on back to back third-place finishes. His recent form is similar to that of (7) JANGGUNBONG, who will look to lead from the gate and should also be competitive. (4) GLOBAL KING and (6) KKEUTPANNYEOWANG are the others to consider.
Selections (3) Sangseung Junior (9) Sincheon Yeomang (7) Janggungbong (4) Global King
Next Best 6, 1
Outsiders 2, 5, 8
Fast Starters 4, 6, 7
Race 9: Class 2 / 1800M / Handicap / KRW 88 Million / 18:30 (KST)
(5) SAENGIL GIPPEUM is up in class following three straight wins, the most recent being facile triumphs over this distance and he can make it four in a row here. He will try to make all. The main danger is (8) DONGBANG DAERO, who also won twice at this distance at class 3 and was 2nd on his first try at this level five weeks ago, beating (2) WILD BURNING and (9) GHOST BLONDE, both of whom themselves will be fancied to find at least the minor money. The other one to look out for is also up in class. That’s (4) MAIN STAY, just beaten a nose at this distance in a really quick race in March and who comes in fresh after two months off.
Selections (5) Saengil Gippeum (8) Dongbang Daero (4) Main Stay (2) Wild Burning
Next Best 9, 3, 7
Outsiders 1, 6, 10
Fast Starters 4, 5
Race 10: Class 3 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 72 Million / 18:00 (KST)
Two stand out here and both are up in class. (4) FIRST MAGICAL was a ten-length winner on debut over 1200M last month and will be well-backed to make it two out of two here. He is one of a number who will look to lead from gate. (10) USEUNG LINE is the big danger. He has won two from three so far, last time at class and distance. Those two look significantly superior to the rest but if they are to disappoint then (5) ILLYUCHEON and (2) TARIAT TALE, 3rd and 4th at this class over a mile last time look the ones to take advantage. (3) WINNING HUMOR was beaten ten lengths by First Magical last time but also finds himself up in class today. He should beat a few.
Selections (4) First Magical (10) Useung Line (2) Tariat Tale (5) Illyucheon
Next Best 3, 7, 11, 9
Outsiders 1, 6, 8, 12
Fast Starters 1, 4, 5, 7, 9