Sunday sees the first Graded race of 2016 at Seoul in the shape of the local Group 3 Seoul Owners’ Association Trophy. A full field of sixteen will line up for the 1200M sprint.
Six of them ran in the Segye Ilbo Cup on January 31st with the first two home that day – Global Fusion and Always Winner coming home as an 1800/1 exacta that day. This time there are set to be strong challenges from the likes of Sotong Sidae, Power City and Magic Dancer in what is set to be a nice competitive race.
Here is a full rundown of the field. All are Korean bred and all will carry 57kg with fillies and mares receiving a 2kg allowance (Name [Pedigree] Age Sex (Starts/1st/2nd/3rd) – Jockey):
SROA Trophy (KOR G3) – Seoul Racecourse – 1200M – March 13, 2015 (16:40)
1. Impetus [Exploit – Miss Stravinsky] 6 H (30/7/3/8) – Jo Jae Ro
4th behind Seonbong last start over 1400M, he is a solid class 1 competitor and has good closing speed. Generally slow away, the minor money is a realistic aim here.
2. Yaho Sky Cat [Peace Rules – The Relentless Cat] 4 G (8/4/1/0) – Djordje Perovic
He’s won 4 of 8 so far but yet to strike any higher than class 3. A disappointment in the Segye Ilbo Cup, where he was unable to get forward early, he has plenty to find here. Needs a good start.
3. Magic Dancer [Forest Camp – Wildly Magic] 6 H (25/10/4/2) – Jo Sung Gon
This former big Stakes winner has perhaps seen better days but landed a creditable 4th in the Segye Ilbo, his 2nd race back after a spell. He got forward early and gave little away late on and that performance puts him in contention here. A chance.
4. Sun Lordly [Vicar – Stormcloudrising] 7 M (32/6/4/2) – Hwang Soon Do
She’s only raced four times since winning the JRA Trophy last May and has shown very little. Even the jockey booking suggest she is a big outsider.
5. Global Fusion [Menifee – Morning Red Sky] 7 G (36/7/3/6) – Yoo Seung Wan
The 66/1 winner of the Segye Ilbo Cup, lfying home from well off the pace to get up by a neck. Similar tactics are expected here but while a bit more respect is due today, the odds are against a repeat.
6. Sotong Sidae [Gold Money – Myeonggauihuye] 5 G (28/7/4/6) – Park Byeong Yun
He may end up as favourite. It’s been a long time since he was entered in a sprint but he is one of the top horses at the track. The Grand Prix distance was too much for him last start but he comes in fresh today. He goes back early and has very solid closing speed. A real chance.
7. Haemaru [Vicar – Forest Flower] 5 G (24/7/3/4) – Choi Bum Hyun
A consistent placer in 2015, he hasn’t started this term quite so well and was disappointing at 1400M last start. Ideally would be ridden closer to the front today – he ran a close 2nd when put into contention early over 1400M in December and improvement is possible here.
8. Gumanseok [Vicar – Perfect Storm] 7 G (42/11/6/8) – Lee Chan Ho
Came back into form with a pair of unexpected victories in December and January but didn’t go well in a tough race three weeks ago. Capable at sprint distances in the past, he should settle in midfield and makes for an interesting outsider.
9. Goldholic [Volponi – Lovely Memories] 4 C (21/6/4/4 – Lee Joon Chel
Mixes in elite company for the first time following three wins in his last five starts. Led from gate to wire over 1800M last time out and while it will be harder to get to the front here, he shouldn’t be too far away. This is a big step up though.
10. Power City [Archer City Slew – Power Bull] 5 G (17/9/2/2) – Park Tae Jong
3rd behind Global Fusion and Always Winner in the Segye Ilbo last month, he is a proven big race winner. Likely to settle in the middle of the field,he has strong finishing speed and he will be one of the favourites.
11. Always Winner [Always Winner – Hallat’Eukkeup] 4 G (15/4/4/2) – Kim Dong Soo
Just beaten a neck by Global Fusion in the Segye Ilbo and three lengths clear of Power City, that was Always’s Winner’s first try at the top level. He led almost the whole way that day and will try similar today. A chance he will get home in front this time.
12. Seonbong [Duality – Megabuck Gal] 4 C (17/6/6/0) – Moon Jung Kyun
6th in the Segye Ilbo Cup having raced prominently early. He may not get to the front today but he should be close by, has a good turn of speed and is capable of going well.
13. Best Guy [Didyme – Madam Winette] 6 G (11/5/5/1) – Ji Ha Ju
He’s only raced eleven times and has never finished worse than 3rd, winning on five occasions. Facing this level of competition for the first time, he does have the fastest time at this distance of any of those who go here and while the odds are this will be his first time outside the placings, he’s not to be ruled out.
14. Singyu Gangja [Mckenzie Pass – Tamna Bibari] 4 G (16/6/4/3) – Lim Gi Won
Another one up in class and allowed to take his chance following a class 2 win over 1400M last month,. He made all that day and will try to get forward here. He will be one of the outsiders though.
15. Raon Morris [Yankee Victor – Thunder By Night] 5 H (16/6/3/2) – Ham Wan Sik
Winner of last year’s Selangor Turf Club Trophy, he followed up with a 2nd place over this distance at class 1. Not especially competitive in two starts since, he will need to find a bit more here
16. Sun Burster [Officer – Coin D’Or] 4 C (11/6/2/2) – Yuri Takahashi
An up and coming one, he’s won six of eleven to date and came from well off the pace to snatch 2nd in a quick race over 1300M at the end of January. He’ll likely be patiently away again to day from the outside gate and is another interesting outsider.