The current cream of the domestic bred three-year-old filly crop are in action at both Seoul and Busan on Sunday with the running of a pair of early season classic trials, the Sports Seoul Cup in the capital and the Gold Circle Trophy on the south coast.
Unsurprisingly the fields are small but nevertheless interesting. Seoul on Sunday runs 11 races from 10:50 to 18:00 while Busan runs 6 from 13:00 to 17:05.
English Racecards can be found here. Entry to the racecourse is free for all punters on Sunday to compensate for the loss of four races due to the weather (among a number of issues) last Sunday.
Here’s a full rundown of the fields in both trials. All are three-year-old fillies and all will carry 55kg.
Name [Pedigree] (Starts/1st/2nd/3rd) Trainer – Jockey
GC Trophy (Special) – Busan Racecourse – 1400M – March 6, 2016 (16:10)
1. My Alice [Limitless Bid – Allie’s Premo (Alex’s Pal)] (3/2/1/0) JB Mun – Ikuyasu Kurakane
A possible front-runner here, she’s done little wrong so far although is tried at the distance for the first time. Four-length winner last start.
2. Yuseong Tiger [Discreet Cat – Comarillo (Deputy Commander)] (4/2/1/0) DS Bang – Kim Dong Young
The most likely to be happy to sit back and let others lead, she was an easy five-length winner last time over 1300M and can go close.
3. Steal The Show Why [Whywhywhy – Steal The Show (Cat Thief)] (8/2/2/1) KY Baik – You Hyun Myung
A four-length winner at class 5 over 1300M last time beating one who went on to win very smartly on Friday, she will sit just off any early pace.
4. Hoseungjibyeok [Didyme – Everything Nice (Elusive Quality)] (3/3/0/0) BE Kang – Song Keong Yun
Unbeaten and a class 4 winner at this distance beating the well-thought of Evangeline last time. She will want to settle in midfield and will be second favourite.
5. Ottug Ottugi [Forest Camp – Main Objective (Lion Heart)] (6/4/1/0) YK Kim – Oh Kyoung Hoan
This is the favourite, however her only previous try at 1400M – the Breeders’ Cup in Seoul, she did not stay on for this distance. We are three months on now and we will give her another chance. She sets the pace and she is the favourite.
6. Santa Gloria [Menifee – Pupil (Unbridled)] (4/1/0/1) KY Baik – Pasquale Borelli
The outsider of the field, she has been beaten by Yuseing Tiger and is yet to perform at anything higher than class 6. The only one for whom a win would be a big shock.
Sports Seoul Cup (Listed) – Seoul Racecourse – 1400M – March 6, 2016 (16:40)
1. Chang Se [Forest Camp – Daecheonpung (Fiercely)] (7/3/2/1) JW Park – Lee Hyeon Jong
She’s won three of seven and beat imported opposition at class 4 last time. Tries the distance for the first time but will stay. Could lead and in the absence of Waikiki is the likely favourite.
2. La Reine [Menifee – Souther Splendour (Southern Halo)] (2/1/0/0) YJ Choi – Jo Sung Gon
A winner on debut in an event where all were previously unraced, she showed nothing next up and is an outsider here.
3. Sidaeyeowang [Vicar – Fier Time (Fiercely)] (4/2/0/0) JW Park – Djordje Perovic
Two wins and two fourths and has been beaten by Meni Money, she will need to find something here. Likely to sit behind the early lead.
4. Ujuchoegang [Creek Cat – Sonoray (Gone West)] (3/0/0/0) HS Seo – Bang Choon Sik
An outsider, she;s one of two yet to win and it’s hard to see her doing so here.
5. Meni Music [Menifee – Morning Music (Songandaprayer)] (7/3/1/1) YG Park – Park Eul Woon
At one time believed to be the pick of the crop, she has stuttered as the competition has grown stronger. Goes at this distance for the first time, she will probably look to lead but others will be favoured.
6. Argo Queen [Creek Cat – Lunar Colony (A.P. Indy)] (6/0/1/1) BJ Choi – Kim Dong Soo
Along with Ujuchoegang, this one hasn’t wn and she probably won’t here either. Still at class 6 and not much to recommend.
7. Daehan Cheonwang [Forest Camp – Seonju Jangsu (Happy Jazz Band)] (5/3/1/0) HJ Bae – Lim Gi Won
Can be forgiven her most recent try in January, she is a winner at this distance at class 5. She will sit just behind any early pace and may be considered.
8. Waikiki [Pico Central – Wyvern (Didyme)] (6/2/2/0) JH Ha – Park Byeong Yun