After last week’s snow induced chaos, it is finally warming up on the peninsula. Racing gets underway Friday with a ten-race card at Busan.
There are a total of 10 races with the first at 11:40 and the last at 18:00. There is also a pony racing card on Jeju Island. English racecards are available here.
Races 4-10 will be simulcast to overseas. Here are full notes on those races along with probable favourites:
Race 4: Class 6 / 1300M / Allowance / KRW 40 Million / 13:40
(4) GOLDEN KINGS was 2nd on debut at the end of January and should surely be going one better against a moderate set of fillies and mares here. (3) CAPTAIN CHANCE has picked up minor prize money in each of her last four outings and can be close again. She finished behind (5) HURRICANE FORCE, who managed a shock 2nd place over this distance on February 12th having previously shown no discernible talent but must be given a chance here. (8) HWASEONG ACE and (2) IGIPPEUM GEUDAERO look the best of a less than impressive rest.
Favourites: (4) Golden Kings (3) Captain Chance (8) Hwaseong Ace (5) Hurricane Force
Race 5: Class 5 / 1200M / Allowance / KRW 40 Million / 14:25
(1) LADY CHAMP, coming in following a 2nd and a 3rd in her most recent two outings could be the one to score in an open race. (8) SANGSEUNG MULGYEOL was a class and distance winner last start, beating (6) JIBONG JILJU. The latter was returning from seven months out, raced like he needed it and should be much closer today. (10) ALSO NUMBER ONE is yet to strike in eight starts and while a well-beaten 2nd behind a good winner last month, can be dangerous here. (7) LOAD CELL, up in class today following back to back 2nd place finishes is the other one to watch.
Favourites: (1) Lady Champ (6) Jibong Jilju (10) Also Number One (8) Sangseung Mulgyeol
Race 6: Class 5 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 40 Million / 15:15
A winner on his debut in debut and close in three subsequent starts, Bart Rice’s (7) SHORT STOP looks the standout here. He was beaten into 4th place by (1) COOL RUN on his last start but should overturn that form today. There are a couple of dangers. (9) ROCKET BLADE was an easy winner on debut in January and while he found it tougher on his first try at this class on February 19th, can go better here. (2) WONIL ACE was 2nd over 1300M last start and should be close while (8) WARRIOR KING is inconsistent but goes well on his day. (6) HWANHUIUI BYEOL didn’t perform on his first try at this class but can improve.
Favourites: (7) Short Stop (9) Rocket Blade (2) Wonil Ace (1) Cool Run
Race 7: Class 4 / 1600M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 16:05
(4) MUJEOKUI SAMSON, from Kim Young Kwan’s stable hasn’t shown a lot in three starts so far, is one of a number who may appreciate the opportunity at this distance. The stable means he will be favourite. (6) GANGHAN NAMJA has raced at a mile before and while it didn’t go well, he is a two-time winner over 1400M and will have backers. (3) OHHWAMA and (8) GIANT HOLD raced indifferently together over 1400M in January but both could improve today as could (9) AFLEET CORREDOR, a stablemate of Mujeokui Samson. (11) GIMAKIN JILJU, racing for the first time since a disappointing effort on Christmas Day, could deliver at good odds.
Favourites: (4) Mujeokui Samson (6) Ganghan Namja (11) Gimakin Jilju (8) Giant Hold
Race 8: Class 4 / 1200M / Handicap / KRW 55 Million / 17:00
(7) DYNA’S DREAM is hard to oppose here, coming in after back to back wins. She is up in class but is nicely in and should have the beating of these. Nothing else enters in much form so (2) POWERFUL FORCE and (4) WORLD QUICK, who have both beaten a few of these in their most recent outings are next best although both will have to find plenty to challenge the favourite. (3) MASTER KEY has been poor in her last two but can go better dropped back in distance while (6) IRON MARINE was last returning from almost four months off in February and can improve today.
Favourites: (7) Dyna’s Dream (2) Powerful Force (3) Master Key (4) World Quick
Race 9: Class 3 / 1800M / Handicap / KRW 72 Million / 17:30
Thomas Gillespie’s (5) JUNGANG GONGJU could only manage 5th of 8 in a competitive event over this distance in January. This is competitive too but the opposition s perhaps a touch softer and we could see a repeat of this mare’s Christmas Day victory. (3) DONGNAM CHEONHA ran a decent 3rd on his first start of 2016 over the distance last month and should be close again while (6) BOHEMIAN is up in class and distance following victory at 1400M in January. (9) CHEONJI GEOTAP was disappointing over a mile last starts but can be given another chance today with (7) GLOBAL KING, racing for the first time since October, a live outsider.
Favourites: (5) Jungang Gongju (3) Dongnam Cheonha (6) Bohemian (7) Global King
Race 10: Class 2 / 1400M / Handicap / KRW 88 Million / 18:00
(1) EMETH won three of his first four and dropped back to 1400M today should be able to hit the front early and make all to return to the winner’s circle here. (5) LAST TICKET is another who should appreciate the shorter distance today but may have to settle for a sixth 2nd place finish while speaking of 2nds, (10) TAPIPOINT has finish in that position in both his two starts at Busan since being relocated from Seoul and can challenge again today. (2) YUSEONG FIGHTING and (3) JIBONG MANSE look best of the rest.
Favourites: (1) Emeth (10) Tapipoint (5) Last Ticket (2) Yuseong Fighting