Seoul Vs Busan in the Breeders’ Cup
A full field of fourteen will line-up at Seoul Race Park on Sunday afternoon for the Breeders’ Cup, Korea’s premier Juvenile race. Six visitors from Busan will face eight of the capital’s most promising young Korean bred horses over six and a half furlongs.
Likely favourite is Cheoneun. She won her first three races before being beaten in the Gwacheon Mayor’s Cup – the top juvenile race restricted to Seoul horses – by another filly, Dolpung Jilju. Cheoneun faded very badly in the final furlong that day. Many will expect to see her turn it around tomorrow. As for Dolpung Jilju, she may have the worst Stud Book picture ever but she is certainly a talent and will have plenty of supporters.
For the colts, Dolpung Gangho and Jigeum I Sungan have the best of what are to date, limited records. It’s a lighter than usual challenge from Busan when compared with most events that bring runners from the two tracks together. Of those that have travelled, Peter Wolsley’s filly Nuriui Bit, second in the Gyeongnam News Cup, looks to have the best chance. Australian jockey Nathan Stanley is in town to ride her. Joining Stanley in Seoul is Japanese rider Eiki Nishimura, who has the mount of Black Dia.
Here’s a full run down of the runners and riders with pedigrees and race records:
Breeders’ Cup – Seoul Race Park – 1300M – November 27, 2011 – 16:35
1. Bukdaepung [Exploit-Half Fare (Half Term)] F (4/2/1/0) – Jun Duck Young (Seoul)
2. Sinchon Gongju [Pico Central-Bamboo Memory (Regal Remark) F (3/0/3/0) – Park Geum Man (Busan)
3. Cheoneun [Forest Camp-Naha (Silver Buck)] F ((4/3/1/0) – Park Tae Jong (Seoul)
4. Dolpung Gangho [Didyme-Ascend The Throne (Silver Charm)] C (2/1/1/0) – Choi Bum Hyun (Seoul)
5. Black Dia [Vicar-Blossom Again (Awesome Again)] F (4/2/1/0) – Eiki Nishimura (Busan)
6. Daedong Jeil [Commendable-Daecheon Yeowang (Concept Win)] C (4/1/2/1) – Moon Se Young (Seoul)
7. Sing A [Fortitude-Seollimwon (Wheaton)] F (5/1/2/1) – Choi Si Dae (Busan)
8. Nuriui Bit [Menifee-Altria (Maria’s Mon)] F ((2/1/1/0) – Nathan Stanley (Busan)
9. Dream Tower [Forest Camp-Hurricane Warning (Thunder Gulch)] C (4/2/0/0) – Kim Dong Young (Busan)
10. Dolpung Jilju [Didyme-Alder Gulch (Gulch)] F (4/3/0/1) – Cho Kyoung Ho (Seoul)
11. Mallu Homerun [Pico Central-Balada (Songandaprayer)] C (2/1/1/) – Park Byeong Yun (Seoul)
12. Jeongsaang Yechan [Menifee-Yong Gok (Loosen Up)] C (3/1/0/1) – Shin Hyoung Chul (Seoul)
13. Jigeum I Sungan [Ingrandire-Solmaru (Mujaazif)] C (5/1/3/1) – Kim Dong Chul (Seoul)
14. Good Time [Yehudi-A Little Poke (Pleasant Tap)] C (4/1/1/0) – Chae Gyu Jun (Busan)
* At Seoul Race Park today there was a shock in the feature race as 17/1 Jewang Tansaeng [Petionville-Awesome Joy (Awesome Again)] scored a five length win in what was a rare sprint feature race over seven furlongs. Running second was old favourite Bally Brae (Yarrow Brae), former Grand Prix winner and now nine years old.