The weekend’s racing gets underway at Busan on Friday with 8 races from 12:00 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens in the opener. (5) GOLDEN STELLA was an on-pace 2nd on debut in a good time over this distance. She was well beaten by a good winner but should have come on for the experience and from a good draw, she should be on pace again and this time can go one better. (10) MASARANGGIL recorded a 2nd and a 3rd in two starts at the beginning of the year, coming from off the pace both times. She hasn’t races since that 3rd back in February, but she looked well in a trial last week and so long as she didn’t leave her race there, she can be a danger late on. First time starter (8) TREE MORE won a trial last summer but didn’t make it to the races. He has since been gelded and requalified in fine fashion when 2nd in a quick trial in April. If he brings that form to race day, he can put in a bold showing first up. (2) UNJU BONNEUNG and (7) KING ANYDAY others in the placing hunt.
|Selection||(5) Golden Stella (10) Masaranggil (8) Tree More (2) Unju Bonneung|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 8, 9|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
(9) GEUMA STARRY raced twice last autumn, finishing 2nd and 5th, both over this distance. She returns for the first time since November and looked good when 4th of nine in a quick trial at the end of last month. She draws a touch wide but if she can get to the lead, she may take some passing. (11) GOLDEN CAMP comes in off a best to date 2nd place when settling midfield and running on over this distance on April 28th. She remains under a light weight and should be close again. (7) BARBELL QUEEN beat a couple of these on her way to an improved 5th over this distance on April 23rd. She won’t need to run any better to get closer in this company. (3) JUST BE HAPPY raced once without distinction at the end of last year but looked better when trialling up again in April. She led her trial and from a good gate can lead here. (8) TURBO YEOGEOL another potential improver.
|Selection||(9) Geuma Starry (11) Golden Camp (7) Barbell Queen (3) Just Be Happy|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9, 10|
Busan Race 3: Class 6 (1400M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
Competitive maiden with plenty looking ready to win. (8) GASOK JEIL looks close to figuring things out and comes in having beaten a couple of these on his way to 2nd place over this distance on April 16th. He was ridden further forward that in his previous starts and with similar tactics today, he can win. (3) WONDERFUL IMPACT was 3rd in that April 16th race, finishing in that position for the second consecutive time. From a good gate, she can sit handy and run on strongly. (5) HAENGBOKHAN GIL has the fastest time among these for the distance, recorded when 4th two starts back. That was his best finish to date but in this company, he should be aiming to match or better it. (2) USEUNGMUPAE and (10) SOLEDAD are others in at least the placing frame.
|Selection||(8) Gasok Jeil (3) Wonderful Impact (5) Haengbokhan Gil (2) Useungmupae|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Fast Start||2. 9. 6. 10|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) PURPLE LINE made all to get his maiden win by a full ten-lengths over this distance at start number four on April 16th. He comes up in class today, but the manner of that win suggests that there is more to come, and he is the one to beat here. (4) NAMHAE MISO took just two goes to get her maiden win, scoring over 1300M on April 16th. Her times haven’t been quick but the slight step up in trip can suit and she should be measuring up at this level. (3) WONDERFUL OCEAN is yet to win in eleven attempts but has proven competitive at this level with two 3rd places. She likes to sit handy and run on and she has a strong finish on her. (9) PATRIOT and (8) ZET CASH are others who can enter the calculations.
|Selection||(5) Purple Line (4) Namhae Miso (3) Wonderful Ocean (9) Patriot|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 9, 11|
Busan Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) JANGSAN DEFI had an undistinguished juvenile campaign but returned from six months off to win over 1200M on April 21st. She comes up in class and slightly in trip, but should strip fitter for the run, and can measure up. (1) JEOLDAE BOSS is yet to win but has several near-misses with five top-four finishes from seven starts. He has run consistent times and from the plum inside gate, he should be on or close to the pace and can be in this a long way. (9) HELLO SUNSHINE got his maiden win on April 9th when making all over 1200M. He comes up in both class and slightly in distance here but shouldn’t be out of his depth among this field. (8) MILK DAY and (10) RUBY STORM are among others in the frame in what shapes as one of the most competitive races of the day.
|Selection||(4) Jangsan Defi (1) Jeoldae Boss (9) Hello Sunshine (8) Milk Day|
|Next Best||10, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 10|
Busan Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
A small but competitive field. (6) DALEHOLRINGWANGDAE took a couple of goes to get to grips with this level but ran a solid 2nd place on his latest outing at class and distance on April 16th. He was able to be ridden a little further forward that day and in this small field, he can sit behind the early pace and then run on. (2) PAN STAR weakened having led at class and distance on April 21st. She was well fancied that day having previously run a very close 2nd at 1300M in a quick time at this class in March. She should once again get a fairly easy lead here and can be in it for longer this time. (7) GAMDONG ENERGY ran 5th in that April 21st race, ahead of Pan Star. She is yet to win in sixteen attempts but has eight top-five finishes and should be there or thereabouts again. (4) PLAY THE INDY and (5) BLUE SKY others who can contest the minors.
|Selection||(6) Daleholringwangdae (2) Pan Star (7) Gamdong Energy (4) Play The Indy|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 5|
Busan Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(8) SEOBU BIGSTEP was a class and distance winner on March 19th racing on pace throughout and scoring comfortably in a quick time with three of today’ rivals behind. He comes up 3.5kg in the weights as a result but a repeat isn’t impossible. Four of these racing one another at class and distance on April 21st. (5) BEOLGYOUI KKUM, who was 5th behind Seobu Bigstep in March, ran 3rd having been handy all the way around. He has shown good consistency across his six starts so far and under a light weight once more, he can get closer. (9) BLUE CARSON was 2nd in that April 21st race, also racing on pace. She doesn’t get as favourable a draw this time her recent form reads well, and she can be given a chance. (3) COLORFUL WIND and (6) TEUKGEUP CAMP others in the hunt.
|Selection||(8) Seobu Bigstep (5) Beolgyoui Kkum (9) Blue Carson (3) Colorful Wind|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 8, 9|
Busan Race 8: Class 4 (1800M) Special Weight B / KRW 60 Million
(6) B.J. CHIEF came from off the pace to win at this class and distance on April 23rd, capping off a run of solid results. He comes up 2kg in the weights, but shapes as the one to beat again. (3) HAPPY BLUE is the main danger. He comes up rapidly in class having won his latest two, most recently when tied at this distance for the first time on April 30th. He is nicely in at the weights, he draws well, and a hat-trick is possible. (4) NICE CHOEGANG comes up in trip having finished off nicely for 2nd over a mile at this class on April 16th. He carries his fair share of weight here but can be competitive. (1) LINE BREAKER and (8) YEONGWON POWER are among others to keep safe.
|Selection||(6) B.J. Chief (3) Happy Blue (4) Nice Choegang (1) Line Breaker|
|Next Best||8, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 6|