It’s Ttukseom Cup and SBS Sports Sprint day at Seoul on Sunday. See here for full preview of the two races. There are also six reciprocal Trophy Exchange races. Busan hosts Trophies for OSAF (South America), the Jockey Club of Turkey and the Selangor Turf Club. At Seoul there are Trophies in honour of the Royal Western India Turf Club, the China Horse Industry Association and Tokyo City Keiba. There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:35 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 11:50 to 16:35. Here are the Previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
Competitive maiden to open with. (10) DAEHEUNG CLASS enters in off his two best performances so far, a 2nd and a 3rd both over this distance when settling back and running on. His style is such that he doesn’t need to lead so the wide draw isn’t a problem and he should be finishing off well. (2) ARGO MUJEOK also comes in following his best performance to date, when 2nd at 1200M on April 16th when handy throughout. He steps up to this distance for the first time and from a good draw, it may well suit. (1) MIGHTY ANN returned from almost six months out to run 3rd over 1200M on April 8th. She should strip fitter for that run and can match or better it here. (9) WONPYEONG SKY and (11) LAST PITCH are among plenty of others with minor money hopes.
|Selections||(10) Daeheung Class (2) Argo Mujeok (1) Mighty Ann (9) Wonpyeong Sky|
|Next Best||11, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens and not an especially strong race. Despite the wide draw, we’ll side with (11) HAENGUN BARAM, who after a return to trial after an inauspicious February debut, was much better on April 8h when running 2nd at this distance and with a couple of today’s rivals behind her. She settled midfield and finished well and while the time wasn’t quick, it was faster than any of the others here have managed. (3) NAOL DAEWANG likewise wasn’t exactly a speedster when 3rd on debut over this distance on April 9th. He was slowly away but finished well and with some natural improvement, can be in this. (10) DAMJAENGI ARGO was 4th behind Haeungun Baram on April 8th, her second 4th place in a row. She draws wide but with a bit of luck can get a forward or handy position which will put her in the hunt. (5) MILLION PARTY and (2) HEART K are others to consider.
|Selections||(11) Haengun Baram (3) Naol Daewang (10) Damjaengi Argo (5) Million Party|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Another maiden and (7) LEGEND SOCKS will be favourite. Since returning from eleven months off, he has two 3rd places and a 2nd from three starts back, all at this class and distance and each time racing handy. He’ll be close to the speed again and this time should be going one better. (5) GRAND POWER remains a maiden after fifteen attempts but has four runner-up finishes, including at this class over 1400M two starts back. The drop back in trip may suit here and he should be on pace and in this a long way. (8) MAGLE DAY got his maiden win three starts back at 1300M and has since finished 5th in two tries at this class. He too comes back slightly in trip and should be a factor. (11) FINAL JILJU comes up in class after a maiden win at this distance on April 15th. The time was good, and he can measure up in this company. (3) LEGEND K was never a factor in his latest but has won at the distance and can be given another chance.
|Selections||(7) Legend Socks (5) Grand Power (8) Magle Day (11) Final Jilju|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 10|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
(7) GIJEOGUI GEUMBIT shapes as a warm favourite here. That’s based on her latest outing which was also her best when 3rd over 1200M on April 23rd. She has raced at this distance before too, posting a time quicker than any of the others have achieved and she won’t need to improve very much to win here. (1) DIA SPIRIT has left himself far too much to do in his races so far but rattled home well for 3rd over 1200M on April 7th. He gets his best draw since his debut; an apprentice keeps the weight down and the extra half furlong can work in his favour. (10) ECTON POWER is yet to finish in the top two in twenty-eight starts. He has though picked up plenty of minor checks including a 4th place last time out when finishing well at 1200M. He should be matching or bettering that here. (6) KELLY QUEEN and (3) RUNNING FASHION others to keep safe.
|Selections||(7) Gijeogui Geumbit (1) Dia Spirit (10) Ecton Power (6) Kelly Queen|
|Next Best||3, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 4: Class Open (1200M) Special Weight A / Royal Western India Turf Club Trophy / KRW 150 Million
The first of a lot of trophy races today, this one equivalent to class 3. It’s a tricky puzzle. (7) WOLF PLAY has won two of his latest three with defeat sandwiched between those wins being in the Sports Seoul Classic Trial. His latest was at this distance at class 4 level in a quick time on April 15th and while this is undoubtedly harder, he comes down in the weights and can measure up. (5) YELLOW CAT has eight top-three finishes from ten starts. Most recently she was 2nd over 1400M at class 3 level coming from off the pace but she has won at this distance and from a good draw should be very dangerous. (1) TAP QUALITY carries his fair share of weight here but he is a front runner who is coming back in trip and into a very good gate. Ultra-consistent, he won’t be far away. (8) FARCIARZ and (3) SAENAE QUEEN among plenty of others who enter in good form and who can have a say.
|Selections||(7) Wolf Play (5) Yellow Cat (1) Tap Quality (8) Farciarz|
|Next Best||3, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 7|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1600M) Special Weight B / KRW 40 Million
(8) TOP FRIEND beat four of today’s rivals on his way to 2nd place at class and distance on April 7th when overcoming the widest gate to settle back in the field and then finish strongly. He carries the same weight today but comes into a slightly better barrier, and after three runner-up finishes, he can make the breakthrough at start number eight. (9) HWANGWOO MONEY was 3rd in that race, a length-and-a-half behind Top Friend having led for much of the way. His draw isn’t as good today, but he still looks to be the main danger. (4) ETTEUMI was 5th that day having been slowly away from a wide draw and finding it hard to get a good position. His draw is better today, and he should get closer. (10) WONDERFUL BOBCAT and (2) NOBLE COWBOY are other possibles.
|Selections||(8) Top Friend (9) Hwangwoo Money (4) Etteumi (10) Wonderful Bobcat|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 5: Class Open (1600M) Special Weight A / China Horse Industry Association Trophy / KRW 150 Million
This Trophy race is at class 2 level and has attracted the maximum safe field size of ten for the mile start. (6) SPOT FLATTER ran out a very good winner over this distance at class 2 on March 19th with a couple of today’s rivals behind him. That was his first start back following an eight-month absence and he was at a big price. He will be much shorter today but can win again. (2) BEST LUCKY was 3rd in that race having settled midfield and run on. Like Spot Flatter, the set weight scale does him no favours, but he won under 56kg at class 3 level over this distance two starts back and from a nice draw can go close. (4) RAON BEAT came home 4th in that March 19th race having been slow away and settling right back. He has the fastest time in the field for the distance. The ultra consistent (9) YONGAM BOSS, as well as (7) ACE HAMSEONG are among those who didn’t go in the March 19th race who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(6) Spot Flatter (2) Best Lucky (4) Raon Beat (9) Yongam Boss|
|Next Best||7, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 10|
Busan Race 3: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) HANSEN COD GIRL enters off a narrow runner-up finish in a double-quick time at class and distance on March 24th when on pace throughout. Without an apprentice claim, she comes up 2kg in the weights, but a repeat of that performance should give her every chance of going one better here and she may well be favourite. (7) BLUE ICON had a hard time from the widest gate last time out when 6th of twelve over class and distance. She has two placings to her name at this level though and with a kinder draw, she can be considered. (5) LOUD COLOR comes up in class having made all to win over this distance on April 14th. She draws better today, continues under a low weight, and can measure up. (3) BOBBY SPARROW didn’t show much on debut more than a year ago. He has since been through three trials, showing progress in each, most recently winning a quick heat on April 1st. If he can bring that form to the races, then he can go close here. (8) PURE MAGIC among others in the frame.
|Selections||(9) Hansen Cod Girl (7) Blue Icon (5) Loud Color (3) Bobby Sparrow|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 6: Class Open (1800M) Special Weight A / Tokyo City Keiba Trophy / KRW 150 Million
This is essentially class 2 but as it is restricted to fillies and mares, the majority of runners haven’t made it to that level. It’s a fascinating puzzle, though. (9) QUICKLY RUN has as good a chance as any. She was a beaten favourite last time out over 1700M at class 3 level but at the start before ran out a winner under those same conditions. She has never finished out of the top-four and while she draws wide here, with a bit of luck at the start, she can find a good position and can get to the lead. (5) LAST PUNCH got a bit far back on her last try at this distance in February, but she comes in off a good 2nd over 1400M on April 9th at class 3 level in a good time. Expect her to sit just off the pace and finish strongly. (4) CHEONMA BISANG will need a line drawn through her latest. The margins weren’t huge though and she is a winner at this distance. (10) SURISURIMA ran 4th of eleven in the Listed Donga Ilbo Trophy last month. She could have tackled the G2 Ttukseom Cup this afternoon instead but is clearly fancied for this. (11) LOVELY K, a class 2 winner, firmly in the frame too.
|Selections||(9) Quickly Run (5) Last Punch (4) Cheonma Bisang (10) Surisurima|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 9, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class Open (1200M) Special Weight A / Organización Latinoamericana de Fomento del Pura Sangre de Carrera (OSAF) Trophy / KRW 150 Million
A small field but a really good one. (3) GEUMA PASSIONATE will be favourite to get back to winning ways. A winner of four from six and never worse than 3rd, he has run some super times over this distance and from a great draw, he should get to the lead and the others will find it very hard to get past him. (7) NORTHERN BID enters a perfect three for three with two wins at this distance and the most recent at 1400M up to class 4 level. He showed his versatility by coming from off the pace in the latest of them and while this is by far his sternest assignment to date, he can step up again. (5) CATCH THE VICTORY is another who is consistent at the distance. He gets a weight swing on (9) SPICE ECTON, who he finished 3rd behind at class and distance on April 14th. He’ll be on pace and in this a long way. Spice Ecton isn’t without hope either, while (2) HANGANG SAVER comes off back-to-back wins at the distance most recently in a very fast time at class 4 level on March 31st.
|Selections||(3) Geuma Passionate (7) Northern Bid (5) Catch The Victory (9) Spice Ecton|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 5|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1700M) Special Weight B / KRW 40 Million
Competitive race. (10) SAINT LUCCA was a class and distance winner on April 1st, settling back and finishing well to score narrowly. He only comes up 1kg in the weights, the wide draw shouldn’t be a problem, and he can win again. (1) EUNHYE RECORD remains a maiden after fifteen attempts but beat a couple of these on his way to 4th place over 1400M on April 22nd. He has run well at this distance too, including beating three of today’s rivals at this class in January. From a nice draw, Jang Chu-youl can pick his spot and he should go close. (8) FUN CRAZY comes back up in trip following a useful 3rd at 1300M. He is up in the weights, but in this company, should go close. (7) NAMSAN MUJEOK and (5) HAPPY NICE are others to consider for the minors.
|Selections||(10) Saint Lucca (1) Eunhye Record (8) Fun Crazy (7) Namsan Mujeok|
|Next Best||5, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 9, 10|
Busan Race 5: Class Open (1800M) Special Weight A / Jockey Club Of Turkey Trophy / KRW 150 Million
A small but very competitive field of fillies and mares. We’ll go with (2) HAPPY JAZZ, who has won two of her latest three both over this distance and up to class 4. As a three-year-old, she gets 5kg on the rest of the field and draws very nicely to be on pace again. She can go all the way. (4) EUNSEONG WINNER comes in off a pair of 4th place over this distance in very good times. The 3rd placegetter in the latest of those went on to win on Friday, boosting the form somewhat and while she comes up significantly in the weights, she can win here. (3) MAHAMERU looks a danger too. A winner at Class 3 over a mile two starts back, she then ran 3rd at this distance at the same class on April 9th when carrying a similar weight to today. She will settle back and will be doing her best work late again here. (5) QUEEN HARLEY and (6) GUARDIAN ANGEL others to consider.
|Selections||(2) Happy Jazz (4) Eunseong Winner (3) Mahameru (5) Queen Harley|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (1400M) Special Weight A / Ttukseom Cup (KOR-G2) / KRW 700 Million
The second leg of the Queens’ Tour. (9) RAON THE SPURT skipped the first leg in order to take on the boys in the Herald Business over 2000M where she ran a good 4th behind Winner’s Man. While she disappointed when favourite for the Listed Segye lbo Trophy at this distance in February on a day when the track was causing problems for front-runners, she scored a very good class 1 win in a quick time in March. She is drawn a little wider than ideal but at her best she can win. That applies equally and even more of the “at her best” part is considered, for stablemate (11) RAON FIRST. She won the G1 President’s Cup last November to confirm her dominance over the filly and mare ranks and she is the defending champion here. She ran 3rd in the Segye Ilbo and was then beaten unexpectedly in the first le fog this series, the Donga Ilbo Trophy over 1800M on April 9th. A concern here is the wide draw but a return to winning ways would be no surprise. That Donga Ilbo was won by (1) EODIGANA. She and (12) FLAT BABE might both prefer further, but both warrant respect. The wildcard is (2) CARPE BABEL who gets her chance having won her latest two in fine style at 1200M. She comes up in distance here, as well as significantly in class, but she gets a nice weight allowance and a great draw.
|Selections||(9) Raon The Spurt (11) Raon First (1) Eodigana (12) Flat Babe|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 9, 14|
Busan Race 6: Class Open (1600M) Special Weight A / Selangor Turf Club Trophy / KRW 150 Million
A very good race to conclude the international trophy reciprocals. After a tough President’s Cup in November, (3) CAPTAIN YANKEE had four months off, only to be sent to the crazily hard Herald Business over 2000M at Seoul for his comeback race in April. He gets a far more suitable assignment here and the winner of two legs of last year’s Triple Crown can return to the winner’s circle. (6) SKY MORE has been working back into form at class 2 level of late, most recently when 2nd over 1800M on March 28th. In this company he can be on or close to the pace and should be in this a long way. (4) GALAXY ROAD was an all the way winner at class 2 over 2000M two starts back before running 2nd over 1800M on March 31st. He draws well to be on pace and similar to Sky More, should still be there at the business end. Last year’s Derby winner (12) WINNER STAR, along with (1) STAR MATTA, are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(3) Captain Yankee (6) Sky More (4) Galaxy Road (12) Winner Star|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 10|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Plenty of chances here. (7) URUS QUEEN ran 2nd on debut on January but is rapidly up two classes by way of back-to-back wins at 1200M racing on pace both times. This is harder but she comes down in the weights and should still have some development in her. She can make it three in a row. (2) GEUMA FIERY is similarly up in class but down in weight after a good win over 1200M on April 16th when handy throughout. He has been a bit all or nothing so far – aside from his two wins, he hasn’t finished in the top five – but from a nice gate he can go close. (6) SEONGSIL MONEY has plenty of experience at this level and has been getting closer to another win in recent starts, culminating in a 2nd place 1400M last time out. He will be running on strong late. (4) NAEGILUI QUEEN is another up in class after a last start win and who should comfortably measure up in this company. (8) COWBOY TANGO another to keep safe.
|Selections||(7) Urus Queen (2) Geuma Fiery (6) Seongsil Money (4) Naegilui Queen|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 10: Class Open (1200M) Weight for Age / SBS Sports Sprint (KOR-G3) / KRW 500 Million
(6) RAON THE FIGHTER ran 2nd in last year’s Korea Cup and Grand Prix Stakes, taking time between them to easily win the KRA Cup Classic. He is the best horse in the country up to a mile and so long as an in-shape Winner’s Man isn’t present, at any distance. He dropped back to the sprinting ranks for the fist leg of the Sprint Series and demolished a very similar field to this in the Busan Ilbo Sprint last month from gate fifteen, winning by five lengths. He takes some beating. (3) EOMA EOMA won the Korea Sprint last September and we won’t dismiss him just because of one poor outing in the Busan Ilbo. He has had wobbles in the past and bounced back and while his best might not beat Raon The Fighter’s best, even close to his best should beat the rest. Eoma Eoma has won an SBS Sports Sprint already, but (5) MORFHIS has two, having won in 2020 and 2022. He draws well here and expect Johan to have him in position for a late charge. (1) BEOLMAUI STAR and (2) JANGSAN LASER the other main placing chances.
|Selections||(6) Raon The Fighter (3) Eoma Eoma (5) Morfhis (1) Beolmaui Star|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 11|
Seoul Race 11: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(6) MAGIC HOUR is the one to beat in the last. While he was an also-ran in the Sports Seoul Classic trial, he is a class and distance winner and ran 2nd on his latest outing on April 16th behind a good winner. He comes up slightly in the weights but draws well enough and while his racing pattern hasn’t generally been to lead, he may well do so here. (3) JANGSAN GUARD dropped back to one turn last time out over 1300M and saw an uptick in form when 3rd on April 23rd, leading for most of the way around. He comes into a better gate today and can be on pace and competitive again. (4) JANGBI MUJIGAE is yet to finish outside the top-five in seven career outings. She was 4th on her first try at this class over 1200M and having placed at this distance at the lower levels, can be competitive here. Too. (8) DIRT SURFER and (2) DAESAN TEUKGEUP others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(6) Magic Hour (3) Jangsan Guard (4) Jangbi Mujigae (8) Dirt Surfer|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 6|