Sunday sees racing at both Seoul (11 races from 10:35 to 18:00), and at Busan (6 races from 11:50 to 16:35). It is a rare Sunday without any Graded races but there is a Trophy race at Seoul in the shape of the Listed Sports Chosun Trophy. Saturday’s rain should have long since stopped but the track will still be very wet. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens. (6) BEST CLONE will be favoured having shown promise across five prior starts culminating in a runner-up finish on April 9th when on pace throughout over this distance. He won’t need to improve much on that to win here and will take some beating at what will probably be a prohibitively short price. (8) SEUNGNI GONGJU ran 4th behind Best Clone in that April 9th race. That was a big improvement from her debut and if she continues to make progress, she can get closer today. (7) GLORY AND HONOR hasn’t shown much in the way of speed but has got a little closer in her latest two, with a 3rd place last time out. She should be joining Best Clone at the head of the race early and can match or better that 3rd here. (3) HAYAN TAEYANG and (5) DAONDI others in the money hunt.
|Selections||(6) Best Clone (8) Seungni Gongju (7) Glory And Honor (3) Hayan Taeyang|
|Next Best||5, 4|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
The second division of the three-year-old maiden. (3) GHANA DREAM has raced twice, improving significantly in the second of them on April 1st when running on from midfield to finish runner-up at this distance. She can settle behind the speed here and can go one better this time. (6) NEW POINT is the main danger. She ran a solid 5th of eleven on debut in a quicker time than Gana Dream did. She doesn’t benefit from an apprentice claim this time, but Antonio’s services should compensate for that, and with some natural improvement, she will be right in this. There are a couple of Debut-makers and (2) NURI TAEYANG qualified well at the second time of asking in a fair time and a close finish on April 14th. She did her best work late and the 1200M first-up may suit. (4) VISION POWER and (1) MOONHAK EDEN other potential improvers.
|Selections||(3) Ghana Dream (6) New Point (2) Nuri Taeyang (4) Vision Power|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
(1) WONPYEONG CHUKJE will be a hot favourite to score here. He has been working towards a win in recent starts, culminating in an on-pace runner-up finish over this distance on April 1st in a time quicker than any of the others here have clocked. He draws well, he should be on pace, and he should have too much. (5) SAEROUN BITKKAL has picked up in his latest couple and enters off a career-best 3rd over this trip on April 8th. This is no harder and he can be competitive again. (4) DALMAJI also hinted at improvement on his latest on April 15th when coming from midfield to run on for 4th. He comes up slightly in the weights but draws well and may be ridden a little further forward a little earlier today. (6) MAGIC MOCCASIN and (2) EURO GANGJA among others in the minor money hunt.
|Selections||(1) Wonpyeong Chukje (5) Saeroun Bitkkal (4) Dalmaji (6) Magic Moccasin|
|Next Best||2, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 7|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
Weak maiden to kick off the south coast action. (4) YEONGGWANGUIHAMSUNG didn’t exactly pull up trees on debut over this distance on March 24th, but he ran well enough for 6th of twelve in a time a full second faster than any of the others have achieved for the 1200M and that’s enough to make him the pick here. (2) WORLD BEST CAT showed improvement when 5th at start number two over this distance on April 7th. She has raced on pace in both her starts so far and from a good gate, she can do the same here. There is two debut-makers and (7) LUCKY BAND put in a fair trial three weeks ago. He couldn’t ask for a softer race to debut in and can be considered for a money finish first-up, probably racing on the speed. (8) HAPPY BRIANNA and (5) NAMYANG DORI may improve.
|Selections||(4) Yeonggwanguihamsung (2) World Best Cat (7) Lucky Band (8) Happy Brianna|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 7|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) CLAIR BEST has seven top-five finishes from nine starts and enters off a smart 3rd place at this class over 1200M on April 1st. He comes up 1.5kg in the weights but could well be on the speed here and can potentially go all the way. (3) HUIMANG OREUM too comes in off a last start 3rd, in her case over this distance and defying odds of in excess of 30/1. She carries the same weight, draws well, and will warrant more respect here. (9) YONGCHEON JISANG is another last start 3rd. He was a winner at this level over 1200M two starts back, and while he carries 3kg more than when he won, he can settle back and be a danger late on. (2) KKANGDORI and the up in class last start winner (7) ACE TIARA are among others to keep safe.
|Selections||(8) Clair Best (3) Huimang Oreum (9) Yongcheon Jisang (2) Kkangdori|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 8|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
(7) JANGSAN LEMON ran like one on debut, knocking up very quickly having been in a decent position. He had previously won a trial in good order and a couple of months on from that first time out performance, he can be given another chance in less than intimidation company. The probable favourite is (8) UNJU GLOBAL. That’s based on her last start 2nd place over this distance when she led early and rallied again late on. She carries the same weight here and from a wider gate, may be ridden a little more patiently this time. Seo Seung-un rode Jangsan Lemon on debut but is on (1) FOLK ROCK here. The filly lines up for just the second time, having run 6th of ten on debut behind Unju Oreum on April 2nd having begun slowly and run on. She should have come on for that run and can get closer here. (5) VICTOR BASIUM and at a push, (3) SUPER KANEL are others who could improve.
|Selections||(7) Jangsan Lemon (8) Unju Global (1) Folk Rock (5) Victor Basium|
|Next Best||3, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (8) RAON EMPIRE has started as the odds-on favourite every time she has raced and will probably do so again here. True, she has been beaten on three of those occasions, but she has never run worse than 4th and in this company, the half-sister to Raon The Fighter can settle behind the early pace and should prove too strong. (1) GREEN VIVACE ran out a winner on debut on March 25th, making all over this distance. The time wasn’t fast, but the track wasn’t quick that day and while she is up in class, she draws the same gate and can step up. (2) SARYEONI TYCHE remains a maiden but comes up in class after four near misses. She can sit just behind the speed here and can run into a place again. (5) LEGAL HIGH and the up in class last start winner (4) BARAMSAL others to keep safe.
|Selections||(8) Raon Empire (1) Green Vivace (2) Saryeoni Tyche (5) Legal High|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 7|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(6) POWER SOUND comes up in class following two runner-up finishes from three starts spread across eight months, most recently on April 9th when leading for most of the way and only being denied in the closing stages in a quick race. He should be competitive at this level, he comes down in the weights, and third-up this preparation, he can be peaking fitness wise. (8) MIGHTY STORM has been working back into form with a 5th at 1400M and most recently a 3rd at this distance from his latest two. He likes to settle back and run on so the wide draw shouldn’t be a problem and he can be a serious contender. (4) SANGSANGGEUISANG comes up in class following his maiden win at 1200M on April 14th. He goes best on pace or handy and should be in this a long way from a good draw. (3) DAEHOMA and (1) HAVANA JANE the other two minor money hopes.
|Selections||(6) Power Sound (8) Mighty Storm (4) Sangsanggeuisang (3) Daehoma|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) HIDDEN BRAIN is the one to beat here. After winning on debut in December, it took her a couple of goes to get to grips with this level, but she comes in off a smart 2nd over 1300M on April 9th when handy all the way. This is her first try at 1400M, but she ran a solid 5th at a mile so it shouldn’t be a problem and from a good draw, she will be the early leader and can go all the way. (4) HUNTER BLADE comes up in class having secured his maiden win at the fifth time of asking on March 5th. He too will be on pace and can measure up at this level. (8) MUJANG hasn’t posted the most impressive times, but she did what he was asked to do well enough when grinding out a win over 1200M on a wet track a month ago. She is up in class and in distance and there could be more improvement to come. (7) TOUR QUEEN and (5) V QUEEN are others who can place.
|Selections||(3) Hidden Brain (4) Hunter Blade (8) Mujang (7) Tour Queen|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7, 8|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
It’s fair to say that (10) FANTASTIC DAY has mixed his form so far and he only managed to finish in midfield in his first try at this class over 1400M on April 7th. He comes back in trip today and despite the wide draw and the slight rise in weight, that could be key to him getting back in the winner’s circle. (7) OK STAR comes up in class having secured his second win at start number seven on April 2nd when on pace throughout. That was in a quick time over 1200M, and he has already posted fast times at this distance too. He should be a big threat. Also up in class following a last start win is (8) GLOBAL SKY. That came at 1200M in his first attempt at class 5 so he comes rapidly up two grades, but he carries a light weight, and he can measure up. (9) NAMED and (3) HANEUL GANGJA the other logical contenders to contest the placings.
|Selections||(10) Fantastic Day (7) OK Star (8) Global Sky (9) Named|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) K N SKETCH can mix his form, but he can be backed to return to wining ways here. He comes in off a 2nd place at class and distance on April 8th when settling right back and finishing well but running out of track. From the inside gate, Moon Se-young can pick his spot and he can prove too strong. That will mean reversing the form on (3) ROYAL TAERI, who won that April 8th race by half a length at odds of 37/1. The big price was warranted as he had never finished any better than 4th but while he does come up in weight, he draws well and there is no reason he can’t go close again. (2) ARFONS doesn’t exactly win out of turn but nor does he often run a bad race. His recent form has been very consistent and from a good barrier, he will be at the front of the race from the start and won’t be far away at the finish either. (9) NAMSAN JUMONG and (10) PINE FARM others in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) K N Sketch (3) Royal Taeri (2) Arfons (9) Namsan Jumong|
|Next Best||10, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 10|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(11) DOCTOR KHALIFA is up in class following two runner-up finishes from his latest three starts. The draw is not ideal, but he comes down significantly in weight and with an absence of convincing recent form in this race, that’s enough to put him in the hunt. One who does have a solid recent record is (9) GREAT ONE. After a win over a mile at class 5 level two starts back, he ran 4th over that same distance on his first try at this level on April 16th. He carries a light weight and has a smart finish on him, and he will be a danger. (3) DOCTOR PERSIA has plenty of experience at this level including a 3rd place at this distance in February. Under today’s conditions he comes down in weight to the same mark as when he ran that 3rd, and he should be in the mix. In various orders, they will be everybody’s top three as the form really drops off after that but (6) GEUMA GOOD POINT and (10) LUCKY BREAK could perhaps snap recent disappointing streaks.
|Selections||(11) Doctor Khalifa (9) Great One (3) Doctor Persia (6) Geuma Good Point|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (Rated 80 or less) Sports Chosun Trophy L (2000M) Special Weight B / KRW 200 Million
While its Listed status doesn’t really mean much, the big prize has attracted a good field. (7) TIZ BAROWS is the one to beat. He was 4th in last year’s Derby and has won two of his latest three, both at 1800M up to class 3 level. He ran fairly in the Minister’s Cup over this distance last summer and he can win this. (8) HANGANGUI GISANG will be second favourite. He won his first four races and while he has started to find things more testing, he is still yet to finish any worse than 2nd, most recently at 1800M at class 2 level in February. He likes to lead, and he stretches out to 2000M for the first time, but if he gets the trip and if the wet track is favouring front-runners, he’ll be hard to pass. (5) CHOEGO BLACK was a class 3 winner at 1800M two starts back and with Moon Se-young getting back on, he will have his supporters. He likes to settle back and run on, and the extended trip can suit. (6) QUEENS TOUR has won at this distance at class 2 level and while she can mix her form, she can’t be dismissed. (2) NAMSAN SIDAE another firmly in the hunt.
|Selections||(7) Tiz Barows (8) Hangangui Gisang (5) Choego Black (6) Queens Tour|
|Next Best||2, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 11, 12|
Busan Race 6: Class 3 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Tricky race. (11) UNJU HERO came close to winning last time out over 1800M, striking the front late on but ultimately going down by half a length. He comes back to a mile here and while he carries his fair share of weight, this could be his day. (8) ROAD TO V has races twice at this distance and struggled both times. The most recent of those was six starts back though, and his recent efforts at 1400M, including a win at this class in March, suggest he may be ready for another crack. He will be on pace and surely in this a long way. (1) MENIFEE SONG similarly can be ready to try the extended trip again. He comes in here under a light weight and from a good gate. (4) I WILL BE FREE and (9) RAON THE BOSS are among others with claims in a race any of the eleven could conceivably win.
|Selections||(11) Unju Hero (8) Road To V (1) Menifee Song (4) I Will Be Free|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(5) K N UNDERKING comes in following recent excellent form over a mile including a win two starts back at class 4 level. He ran on well for 3rd at this class last time out on April 2nd and comes up to two turns proper for the first time under a light weight, well drawn, and with excellent claims. (8) ON POINT was very much on point when winning at class and distance on April 15th. It was the first time in a long time that he had been ridden to the lead from the start so expect similar tactics today and while he comes up in weight, he certainly won’t be allowed off at 17/1 this time. (9) WINNER BLUE was well back behind On Point last time out, but he comes down in the weights here and should be running on well late on. (2) NONSTOP GISANG and (6) YEOLRIN MUN other money possibles.
|Selections||(5) K N Underking (8) On Point (9) Winner Blue (2) Nonstop Gisang|
|Next Best||6, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 8|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(8) HIGH GRAND has won his latest two in fine style and fast times, both over 1300M and both times sitting handy and finishing off well. That does mean he comes up in class for the second race in a row, but he is nicely weighted, and a hat-trick can’t be ruled out. (4) RAON AMERICAN capitulated in the final furlong last time out on April 9th having led. If we go on his two starts back effort when runner-up, also at class and distance, then he can be given another chance here. (6) THUNDER FLASH was the winner of that April 9th race at odds of 19/1. That was his maiden win at the eighteenth attempt, and he may not repeat here but despite a 3.5kg weight rise, he can be in the placing mix. (9) HUIMANG CHAMP and (7) TAEYANGTAGO are among others to keep safe.
|Selections||(8) High Grand (4) Raon American (6) Thunder Flash (9) Huimang Champ|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
Competitive class 1 but (4) DAEHAN JILJU is favoured to return to form. He was 4th in last year’s Korea Sprint before running 2nd to Eoma Eoma at this distance in Busan. 1400M would seem to be his ideal go, and forma good draw and a fair weight, he can win. (1) WOW WOW won the Listed Segye Ilbo Trophy in January before running 2nd to Raon The Spurt at this distance in March. He found himself overmatched in the Busan Ilbo Sprint last month at level weights with the likes of Raon The Fighter but should be far more comfortable here. (7) NIMUI HYANGGI comes up to class 1 for the first time after a good win at the distance on April 15th. He has run some very good times at the distance and has gone well in the wet. He can leave himself too much to do but may appeal at an each-way price. (3) CLEAN UP HAPPY and (2) IRON SOCKS other place chances.
|Selections||(4) Daehan Jilju (1) Wow Wow (7) Nimui Hyanggi (3) Clean Up Happy|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 6|