There is a bumper day of racing on Sunday with 11 races at Seoul from 10:40 to 18:00 and six at Busan from 11:05 to 15:40. There are no Listed or Graded races but plenty of competitive action to get stuck into. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maiden fillies in the opener. (5) APEX did nothing on debut but significantly improved when stepped up to this trip in a similar all-filly race on January 15th, settling back before running on for 3rd in snowy conditions. She can be ridden further forward here and today can be her day. (9) KKUMUI SUNGAN was a quick 2nd on debut over 1000M before weakening having led on her first try at this distance on January 8th. She was favourite that day and with Moon Se-young remaining aboard, will probably start as the market leader here too. (3) J.Y. COCO put in a solid effort on debut to run 4th of eleven over 1200M when settling midfield and finishing off well. She should have derived benefit for that run and can match or better today. (8) AREUMDAUN SAI and the solitary debut-maker (7) BEAUTIFUL MELODY best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Apex (9) Kkumui Sungan (3) J.Y. Coco (8) Areumdaun Sai|
|Next Best||7, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 9|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens with three of the twelve racing for the first time. (6) MULTI HIT looks the one to beat having shown steady improvement across three outings to date, culminating in a 3rd place last time out of January 15th when settling handy and finishing well over this distance. The time was significantly quicker than any of his rivals here have managed and he won’t really need to improve in order to win. In a race where the exposed form is so patchy, any first-timer who trialled well needs to be given a chance. (4) JORDAN FIGHTING fits the bill having run 3rd in his heat in a good time, showing close to the place. He draws well and the favourite aside, couldn’t pick a softer race to debut in. (3) HANEUL BULPAE beat a couple of these on his way to a fair 6th on debut on January 8th, having been very slowly away and last until the final furlong when he started to make up good ground. That puts him in the frame here. (11) JEONGMUN SPECTER and first-timer (1) OK DREAM, who led a trial, others to keep safe.
|Selections||(6) Multi Hit (4) Jordan Fighting (3) Haneul Bulpae (11) Jeongmun Specter|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens with four of the twelve racing for the first time. There are two standouts both of who will need to be forgiven slightly lacklustre latest outings. (11) MAESTRA finished in 3rd place on both her first two starts, both at 1000M She was favourite for her first try at this distance on December 18th and she led until weakening for 6th. She should have come on for that experience and can get it right today. (4) HANGANG POWER stepped up to 1300M on his last start on January 7th, racing in midfield throughout and finishing 6th. Going on his previous 3rd place over 1000M though suggests he has a bit of speed about him and he too gets another chance today. (6) MY ONE improved at start number three running 4th over this distance and stopping the clock in a good time. A repeat will put him in the mix here (3) HALLSTATT and (9) SEONGEUN CROWN among others to consider.
|Selections||(11) Maestra (4) Hangang Power (6) My One (3) Hallstatt|
|Next Best||9, 12|
|Fast Start||7, 10, 11, 12|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(3) JEOLDAE BOSS gets the nod here having been knocking on the door across his four starts so far. His latest, on January 13th, was his best so far when he settled midfield and steadily improved up to 2nd on the line having overcome a wide draw. That was over 1300M and there is no reason why the additional half furlong can’t suit. (7) CHONGAL CHARM put in a good showing when on pace over 1300M on December 11th and finishing a close 2nd. The same apprentice keeps the weight light, and he can put in a bold showing again. (8) TOP FRIEND came from well off the pace to run 2nd over 1300M on January 13th. He has got a long way back in each of his starts so far, but the additional half-furlong today may be to his benefit. (4) POWER RIDE and (9) SAEKDAL FIGHTER among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(3) Jeoldae Boss (7) Chongal Charm (8) Top Friend (4) Power Ride|
|Next Best||9, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Not a strong maiden so we can accept (11) MIR POINT’s 5th place on Christmas Eve when he used up plenty of petrol coming out of the widest gate and getting to the speed. The time before he had run 2nd over 1000M. The draw is not ideal again but against this opposition, with a touch of luck at the start, he can win. (4) CUPID WOW has a 3rd place to his name over this distance. He draws well to be on pace here and he should be in this a long way. (12) GOLDEN LUCKY will need a line drawn through her latest over 1300M when knocking up very quickly and only beating two. If we go on her start prior to that though, she ran a good 2nd at this distance and she can be given another chance here. (9) DONGTEUJA WAY and (7) HIGH BORN ME others who can compete for the minor money.
|Selections||(11) Mir Point (4) Cupid Wow (12) Golden Lucky (9) Dongteuja Way|
|Next Best||7, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 9, 11|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(10) PISTOL STAR will be a warm favourite. He comes in having beaten several of these on his way to 2nd place over class and distance on January 8th when leading for much of the way. He comes up very slightly in the weights and perhaps draws a bit wide for comfort, but neither should prevent him from going one better this time. (3) RUNNING WARRIOR came him 3rd in that race, having overcome gate twelve to get to a handy position and finish off well. She draws much better today and while she has five-lengths to make up on Pistol Star, she can be in the placing frame again. Seven months after his debut, (5) INDIE BULPAE returned for start number two and duly ran out a five-length winner over a mile on January 13th. He comes up in class and in trip here but there is no reason why he can’t measure up. (1) CENTUM THOR and (7) SUPER CRACK others to keep safe.
|Selections||(10) Pistol Star (3) Running Warrior (5) Indie Bulpae (1) Centum Thor|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
It’s about time (2) SUBAL DORIANG broke through. He’s come close recently, getting the worst of a desperately tight finish two starts back before beating a couple of these on his way to 4th place, both over 1400M, on January 15th after a slow start. A previous spin around two-turns didn’t go well but that was a long time ago and he looks ready for another crack. (10) BOSS BABY enters with form reading fairly and has placed at this distance. He dropped back to 1300M for his most recent start and from a long way back, ran out of track when passing horses late. He should be better for coming back up in trip and can be considered. (1) ZEROBAEK FIVE looks like she may finally be figuring things out with a 3rd and a 4th from her latest two, both at this distance. She draws well and the same apprentice keeps her carried weight light. (9) WONDERFUL WISHING and (4) WONPYEONG BIRD perhaps the best of a limited rest.
|Selections||(2) Subal Doriang (10) Boss Baby (1) Zerobaek Five (9) Wonderful Wishing|
|Next Best||4, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 9, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
After an indifferent debut, (2) COME ON FIRST has finished no worse than 2nd in four subsequent starts. After striking over a mile at class 5 level in November he then won a valuable race at set weights on December 18th, also over the mile. Under today’s handicap conditions, he comes down significantly in the weights, he draws very well and he may take some beating. (1) GUARDIAN ANGEL will need a line drawn through his latest on January 13th when on pace over 1800M but weakening and finishing 10th of twelve. He was going well prior to that though with a win over this distance at class 5 level and then a runner-up finish at 1800M at this class. He draws well and can return to form. (12) LADY GOLDEN can mix her form but is another who has won over the mile and comes in having run 2nd at class and distance on January 13th. The draw is not ideal, but she can be competitive. (9) STAR ACE and (4) PURE MAGIC among others to keep safe.
|Selections||(2) Come On First (1) Guardian Angel (12) Lady Golden (9) Star Ace|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(6) UPTOWN WHIZ ran out a ten-length winner at start number two over 1300M on January 7th in a good time. He comes up in class here as well as marginally in trip, but the manner of that win suggests there is more to come and he is the favourite. (10) G MOTION is yet to finish any worse thn 4th from five starts so far. His maiden win came at 1200M in December before he stepped up to 1400 for his first try at this class on January 15th and came from off the pace to run a good 3rd. The time was faster than any of the others here have achieved for the 1400M and he can be dangerous again here. (1) SPO BLADE has also been consistent across his six appearances. He enters off a good 3rd place at class and distance on January 14th and from a good gate and with Moon Se-young climbing aboard, he can be in the mix. (4) NUBIGO and (11) JANGBI MUJIGAE others to consider.
|Selections||(6) Uptown Whiz (10) G Motion (1) Spo Blade (4) Nubigo|
|Next Best||11, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 11|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(11) CHOICE RUN was a good winner at class and distance on January 8th when quickly in command and running on to win by a length. He comes up 3kg in the weights and has a worse draw but he can overcome both and win again. That’s because the second-pick was the horse who ran 2nd in that January 8th race and he gets an even worse gate. (12) RAP VERSA came from off the pace that day and while he never quite looked like getting to Choice Run, it was a strong showing. He only comes up 1kg and can get close again. (2) GEUMA MAIA is a bit of a wild card. She returns to action for the first time since last August when she scored her best finish to date, a 3rd place at this class and distance. She looked very well in a trial at the end of January and while she will need this, she has a good gate, a very light weight, and may be attractive at an each-way price. (4) CROWD ONE and (5) GREEN SPEED are others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(11) Choice Run (12) Rap Versa (2) Geuma Maia (4) Crowd One|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies (and one mare) only here and it is competitive. (10) BURUI KKOT is yet to win in ten attempts but has only missed the top-five on one occasion. She comes in off back-to-back runner-up finishes at this class, both over 1300M. She likes to sit handy or midfield and run on and today could be her day. The big danger is one gate to her inside. (9) NAEGILUI QUEEN got her maiden win at start number two in early December over 1000M before running a strong 3rd on her first try at this class at 1200M on January 7th when handy throughout. She comes up slightly in trip but that shouldn’t be an issue and she strong chances here. (2) HIDDEN BLADE has mixed his form and we’ll draw a line through her latest last month when shuffled back and scarcely a factor. The time before she was only very narrowly defeated at class and distance and on that form she is in this. (7) WALGADAK comes up in class following a win over 1200M on January 7th. It was a slow race but she has scope for improvement here. (3) ANOTHER LEVEL also in the frame.
|Selections||(10) Burui Kkot (9) Naegilui Queen (2) Hidden Blade (7) Walgadak|
|Next Best||3, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 9, 10, 12|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
Plenty of these are no strangers to one another as they lots regularly feature in the class 1 handicaps at 1200M for 1400M. Today’s trip of seven furlongs is (5) DAEMANGUI GIL territory. His latest win was at class and distance last September, beating plenty of these, and has since run three times with a 3rd to Eoma Eoma in the Kookje Shinmun Trophy at this distance, a 2nd at 1200M and another 2nd over a mile last time. An apprentice keeps his weight low and at his best he wins. (4) SSONSAL beat Daemangui Gil and plenty of others who go here at 1200M on December 11th. He is very capable of running good races at this distance too and also has a 4kg apprentice on board to lessen the weight burden. (3) HIT YEGAM looked well when trialling at the end of January and carries 3kg less than when he was 7th behind Daemangui Gil in September. He can go better today at a probable each-way price. (7) YES PERFECT and (8) ONNURI JILJU among others in the frame.
|Selections||(5) Daemangui Gil (4) Ssonsal (3) Hit Yegam (7) Yes Perfect|
|Next Best||8, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) GLOBAL KANGTA will be hot favourite to strike here. He got his maiden win two starts back over 1200M at class 6 level before coming from off the pace from a wide draw to run 3rd on his first try at this class on January 8th. He comes up slightly in the weights but that’s more than balanced by a much better draw, and he will take some beating. (6) CHOEGANG MIRAE was a smart winner over this distance in December before having a tough day at the office over 1300M on his first try at this class on January 8th. He is better than that and from a good gate and back in trip, he can be given another chance. (11) KKANGDORI was a somewhat unexpected 2nd at class and distance on January 14th, running home strong from a long way back. He has since been through a trial in fine order and under a very light weight, can be running on again. (8) RAON THE HIGHMAN and (2) AL SIMON others with solid placing hopes.
|Selections||(4) Global Kangta (6) Choegang Mirae (11) Kkangdori (8) Raon The Highman|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A very competitive race. (4) CHOEGANG BLADE has missed out on the top four on just one occasion from five starts so far and has been working towards a win. He comes back in trip following an on-pace 2nd over 1400M in October and after sixteen weeks off, comes in fresh and from a good gate. It could be his day. (12) MUNHAK STORM is a class and distance winner already. He carries his fair share of weight here and doesn’t get the best of draws but he enters off a good 4th place last time out and he should be in the mix again. (1) MIGHTY Q has begun her career promisingly enough with back-to-back runner-up finishes both over 1000M. She steps up in trip today and also faces males for the first time, but she draws very nicely and can be competitive. (11) TAPDOWN was a surprising class and distance winner on January 8th and while he comes up significantly in the weights, warrants respect here. (3) KING KALLE is the wildcard, racing for the first time since last August but put in a good trial two weeks ago.
|Selections||(4) Choegang Blade (12) Munhak Storm (1) Mighty Q (11) Tapdown|
|Next Best||3, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Another wide-open race. (7) YONGHOJIMA just about gets the nod, entering off back-to-back runner-up finishes, most recently at class and distance on January 15th when settling midfield and running on, to be beaten only half a length on the line. That was his seventh runner-up finish, and he could go one better today. If yet again, Yonghojima finds just one too quick, it could be (9) RAON THE QUALITY. Unlike Yonghojima, she knows how to win having done so in both her latest two, both over 1200M and both in good times from the front. She comes up significantly in trip today, but she can be a danger. (6) DRAGON STAR also got two consecutive victories in November and December to be rapidly promoted to this class. He was sent up to 1800M for his first go at this level on November 14th when he finished in the middle of the pack, but the mile may suit more. (8) STAR BLADE and (5) HANGANG MAGIC are others to keep safe.
|Selections||(7) Yonghojima (9) Raon The Quality (6) Dragon Star (8) Star Blade|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(8) RAON GIANT has won five of four in total and his last three consecutively, including the Listed Gwacheon Mayor’s Trophy for juvenile fillies and most recently at this class over 1200M on Christmas Day. She comes up 3.5kg in the weights and also tackles 1400M for the first time, but neither should be an issue and she is strongly favoured to score again here, leading from gate to wire once more. (10) STRIDE UP ran out a class and distance winner in a fast time on January 14th. He was at big odds that day but he had been showing signs of form in races leading up to that and it perhaps shouldn’t have been so much of a surprise. He warrants a little more respect here. (3) YELLOW CAT ran 3rd behind Raon Giant on Christmas Day. She has a strong record with four wins from nine starts and should be there or thereabouts again. (2) FLYING GOLD and (7) HAEDEULMOE others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(8) Raon Giant (10) Stride Up (3) Yellow Cat (2) Flying Gold|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 8|
Seoul Race 11: Class 2 (2000M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
A really good race to finish with. (5) CHOEGANG GAME is a winner of six from thirteen and while he found himself out of his depth in the G1 President’s Cup last November, he resumed normal service on December 17th with a comfortable win at this class over 1800M. He comes up 2kg in the weights but his class should see him through here. (6) SARYEONI FIRST was last seen running 4th in the Grand Prix Stakes over 2300M on December 11th. It was very much a case of best of the rest that day as he was a long way behind the first three placegetters, but he still beat a lot of established class 1 horses. He looks a true stayer, and this should suit. (8) ORAE HAMKKEHAJA is up in class and distance rapidly after back-to-back wins which also bring him from class 4 to class 2 in double-quick time. Saryeoni First beat him when they met at class 4 level over 1800M in September but he carries a feather weight today and can measure up. (2) QUEENS TOUR and (10) CHEONJI YEOGEOL others in the frame.
|Selections||(5) Choegang Game (6) Saryeoni First (8) Orae Hamkkehaja (2) Queens Tour|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 8|